Today’s Royal family Is British to the Core

Started by cinrit, January 06, 2012, 12:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteIt was misleading and offensive for the BBC documentary on George V and Queen Mary to overplay the Windsors' German heritage.

The BBC documentary on George V and Queen Mary was in many ways a suitable prelude to this year's Diamond Jubilee. Its argument that George V, however unlikely a moderniser, set the monarchy on the path it has successfully followed since, was sound. As the Prince of Wales (the future Edward VIII, later Duke of Windsor) wrote to his father on November 5, 1918, the British monarchy could survive what he described as "the regular epidemic of revolutions and abdications" on the Continent "only by keeping in the closest possible touch with the people" – advice which George V may not have needed, but certainly followed.

In one respect, however, the BBC programme was misleading, and annoyingly so. It placed great emphasis on the Royal family's German roots. Now, it is true that in 1917, in response to what the historian Roger Fulford called "a very silly outcry – largely engineered from Fleet Street", George V changed the dynasty's name from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor, and also that on one occasion his eldest son said he was "three-quarters German". Nevertheless, in saying this he was mistaken, and the Royal family's Germanness has been much exaggerated. A recent example comes in Norman Davies's book Vanished Kingdoms. Davies states that the family were essentially German, but "honed their upper-class English accents, threw themselves into patriotic and charitable activities, spoke no German in public, deflected awkward questions, avoided their German relatives, and, in a sustained campaign of genealogical legerdemain, massaged the family tree beyond recognition". Professor Davies is a distinguished historian; yet even distinguished historians sometimes write what is no better than rot.

Read more:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/8995350/Todays-Royal-family-is-British-to-the-core.html 

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

lilibet80

The British friends and relatives I have have without exception said that the Windsor family was German/Danish. They considered Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret half British/half German/Danish, Queen Elizabeth's children more British because of the Queen Mother, but German and Danish on the Windsor side.  The Duke of Kent and Princess Marina's children German/Russian/Danish, the Duke of Gloucester's children half British half German/Danish.  With the marriage of Prince Charles to Princess Diana they consider that the German "taint" is almost gone and that Prince William is practically "all British."  This is by blood not culture or custom.  The younger royals starting with Queen George and Queen Mary's grandchildren were culturally English, just as an American is culturally American even though their grandparents may have come from another country.  But in America everyone except the Indians came from somewhere else so when you say you are American everyone laughs and wants to know what you really are. 

Bensgal

^^I'm an American and have never had the experience of someone asking what I really am so I find your comment odd. Most Americans are very far removed from their European or other ancestors.

lilibet80

Quote from: Bensgal on January 13, 2012, 10:27:24 PM
^^I'm an American and have never had the experience of someone asking what I really am so I find your comment odd. Most Americans are very far removed from their European or other ancestors.
I respectfully disagree with you. The Americans who are very far removed from their European or other ancestors are usually English or Scotch/Irish.  In the large cities, such as New York where I live, people are very aware of their heritages.  There are neighborhoods which are predominantly Polish or Norwegian, Greek, Italian, Jewish, German etc., even though they have been in this country for more than 100 years.  In Minnesota the citizens keep many of their Swedish customs, especially in terms of food.  The state of Wisconsin has many Germans who have certain ethnic customs. 

As far as the Royal Family is concerned, Queen Elizabeth's family on her father's side was German and had a multitude of German relatives.  Prince Philip is German/Danish by blood and Elizabeth is half German by blood.  The Duke of Windsor was right when he said he was three quarters German.  His grandmother, Queen Alexandra, was Danish.  His grandfather, King Edward VII was German on both sides.  That does not mean his culture was not English, it was, but he considered his blood lines to be German.  King George and Queen Mary's children did not all marry British people and their grandchildren did not all marry British people either.  They are "British to the core" culturally but their roots and ancestral lines are mostly German.

Eri

To me the the current BRF has no German blood in them if we look at the Queen's grandchildren they have no German blood in them Sarah,Diana and Sophie are all British if we look further into the feature Kate is British too and I doubt Harry will marry a non British so I don't get the "The British Royal Family is German thing  :orchid:.

Lindelle

What makes you think Harry will marry a non british?

Eri

Lindelle

Sorry Eri :flower:
Sometimes I read these threads much to fast for my own good.

sandy

Quote from: Eri on January 18, 2012, 08:40:11 PM
To me the the current BRF has no German blood in them if we look at the Queen's grandchildren they have no German blood in them Sarah,Diana and Sophie are all British if we look further into the feature Kate is British too and I doubt Harry will marry a non British so I don't get the "The British Royal Family is German thing  :orchid:.

Charles, Edward and Andrew do have Germany blood so their children have German blood too even though their wives are British. The BRF also can claim  Danish  and French descent.

Eri

^So? Prince Philip is Greek for God sake still to say his grandchildren are "Greek" would be over reaching they are British by father and mother they are not "Greek" or German  :hehe:.

sandy

Many people can claim descent from various nationalities. It's not a big deal. Did I say it was? This was a rebuttal of saying that the Queen's grandchildren have "no German blood." Of course they have and French and Danish--Philip himself was descended from Victoria and Albert as well so he has various ethnic lines too. With many royals (of past days) marrying  outside the Kingdom of course there would be diverse bloodlines today. They are "British" but can claim descent from other nationalities. It's  not that they lack bloodlines from other nations and are only of British blood. :king:

sandy

If Diana's ancestry is examined she is not strictly British. One of her ancestors Frank Work was American. She has several crosses of Charles II and one from James II meaning that she has French blood (from Charles' I consort Henrietta Marie) plus way back she descends from Henry VII whose grandmother was a French Princess ad from Edward III whose mother was a French princess.  Plus she descends in several lines from James I's consort Ane of Denmark.  Fergie also has descent from the Stuarts and Tudors who do have French bloodlines.

Mike

What would be different today, if anything, had George V not changed the family name from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor?   And why Windsor?
Mark Twain:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
and
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."

memememe

And let's not forget that the British themselves are mainly of German ethnicity anyway - the Anglo-Saxons were German tribes.  The Vikings were descended from German tribes.  Even the pre-Roman Celts were more German than anything else.

cinrit

Quote from: Mike on January 26, 2012, 02:24:52 AM
What would be different today, if anything, had George V not changed the family name from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor?   And why Windsor?     

Do you mean why "Windsor" in particular, Mike?  Most likely, it sounded best, and there is the connection with Windsor Castle.  Here are a couple of sites you might like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Windsor
http://www.royal.gov.uk/thecurrentroyalfamily/theroyalfamilyname/overview.aspx

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Mike

I was wondering why that name over any others.  The links answered my question.  Thanks.     :flower:

But, I wonder still if anything would be different today if the family name was still Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.  Just wondering . . .
Mark Twain:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
and
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."

Wilkat

Had the family remained German by name they may have lost the throne at that time because anti-German sentiment was strong and rampant because of the two wars with Germany. George V was so unsure of their safety that he was unable to give Nicholas and Alexandra, his partly Germanic cousins, the refuge that may have saved their lives. He was able to help Queen Wilhemena of the Netherlands. The Queen Mother is famous for calling Germans the " Huns " throughout her life. That is not a term of endearment.  :P It is true that because Queen Victoria was married to a German Prince that Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip and their parents before them were for the most part at least half - German, it makes the older members of today's royal family a good part German. So the historian knows exactly what he is talking about. You can't hide such a well documented ancestry.
Richard II- French School

LouisFerdinand

The article mentioned the British Royal Family avoided their German relatives.   
Queen Mary's aunt was Princess Augusta (1822-1916). She became the Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. Queen Mary kept in regular contact with Aunt Augusta.