How DID This £20 Million Royal Treasure End Up on a Bric-a-Brac Stall?

Started by cinrit, March 26, 2014, 12:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteTucked away in a quiet street in London's Mayfair, the family-run firm Wartski has been selling antiques to the rich and famous for nearly 150 years.  Past clients include King Edward VII, Bing Crosby and Jackie Onassis. But it was a nondescript character who caused a stir there when he turned up one afternoon in 2012.

Dressed scruffily in jeans and trainers, the scrap-metal dealer from a small town in America's Midwest didn't look like one of Wartski's usual clientele. But he was about to solve one of the antique world's greatest mysteries.

Ever since the Russian Imperial family were shot dead in a Siberian cellar following the Revolution of 1917, there has been fevered speculation about the whereabouts of the fabulously expensive Fabergé eggs they exchanged as Easter gifts during the last decades of their rule.

More: How DID this £20million royal treasure end up on a bric-a-brac stall? Faberge egg lost after the last Russian Tsar was shot dead re-emerged at an

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Limabeany

:goodpost: :thanks: Sadly, I don't think any such shiny objects are buried in my attic...  :teehee:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

cinrit

I've always wondered, where are these yard/garage/street sales where people find such treasures?  And why do I never live near one that might have a hidden Matisse or Dali? <_<

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.