The Stuarts (Scotland 1371)-(England/Great Britain 1603-1714)

Started by cinrit, December 28, 2011, 01:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

Here they are ... not sure if the portrait of Anne Boleyn is actually Anne Boleyn, though ... it's more likely Jane Seymour.

Anne Boleyn:
The Face of Anne Boleyn (Photoshop Reconstruction) - YouTube

Marie Antoinette:
Revealing the Face of Marie Antoinette (Photoshop Reconstruction) - YouTube

Eleanor of Aquitaine:
The Face of Eleanor of Aquitaine (Photoshop Reconstruction) - YouTube

Marc Antony:
The Face of Mark Antony (Photoshop Reconstruction) - YouTube

Probably not very accurate, but fun. :happy:

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Limabeany

It is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :vday4: :vday4: :vday4: :vday4:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just watched Anne, moving down the line now.  :happy15:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

cinrit

Blue Clover

Not a beauty, but I don't know what the standard of beauty was at the time.

cinrit

QuoteShe is one of the best known figures in Scottish history, her life encompassed by tragedy, scandal and romance.

But how many people know of Mary, Queen of Scots' love of hunting, card games and playing the lute?

A major exhibition at the National Museum of Scotland is, for the first time, bringing together a fascinating display of items from public and private collections in Scotland, England and France to explore the myth and reality surrounding the enigmatic figurehead.

Through a unique gathering of letters, paintings, jewellery, textiles, furniture, drawings, maps and documents, museum bosses hope to be able to present a compelling picture of the queen's life.

Mary, Queen of Scots exhibition to examine monarch?s life - Features - Scotsman.com 

Cindy

cinrit

QuoteWe imagine her dressed in martyr's black, with a gold cross and a Catholic rosary around her doomed neck.  And when Mary, Queen of Scots arrived in Scotland from France in 1561 she did indeed own more than 20 lavish black gowns, which were the height of French fashion.

But she wasn't always dressed in black; she had gowns of gold and silver, carnation and crimson; a blue satin gown embroidered with silver palm trees. Indeed, it took 12 ships to carry all her clothes, furniture and gold and silver plate.

Mary was 18 and a beautiful widow. Queen of Scotland by birth – she had acceded the throne at just six days old on the death of her father James V of Scotland – she was also dowager Queen of France by marriage, since the death of her husband, Francis II, eight months previously.

Mary, Queen of Scots suffered betrayal, torment and imprisonment - now, as two dramas tell her story, forensic experts recreate what she really looked

Cindy

Limabeany

:thanks: :thanks: :thanks: Cindy!  :happy20: :happy20: :happy20:  I love the Tudor period!  :hug:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

cinrit

Me, too, Limabeany!  I have torn feelings about Mary Queen of Scots.  Lots of sympathy for her, but confusion over whether or not she was involved in plots to assassinate Elizabeth I.  I kinda think she was heavily involved. 

Cindy

Limabeany

Quote from: cinrit on August 17, 2013, 01:58:51 PM
Me, too, Limabeany!  I have torn feelings about Mary Queen of Scots.  Lots of sympathy for her, but confusion over whether or not she was involved in plots to assassinate Elizabeth I.  I kinda think she was heavily involved. 

Cindy

I feel the exact same way! From France to Scotland, that is unimaginable in those days. Under those circumstances, and in that period she was no definitely no wallflower, I cannot imagine her as a passive bystander watching others determine how her future unfolds and yet... I know those were hard times but I think I just don't want her to have been involved in the plots but I think it likely she had knowledge of it. It seems if her head was at risk she should not have been in the dark...

cinrit

A brutal time in history.  I'd like to go back for a couple of days, but no longer.  I'm afraid I'd end up on the chopping block! :o  How about you?

Cindy

Limabeany

I would to see first hand the costumes, the lighting, the scenery, the clear skies, the palaces... But I don't know how strong willed women managed to not get their heads chopped off. They probably all had ulcers from having to hold their tongues, although there have always been good fathers and husbands, simply because there have always been kind people. But, I have to tell you my biggest fear is the, ahem... how shall I call them... Nature ports of call (or lack thereof)... Every time I am immersed in any historical novel, and wish fervently to travel in time and see it myself, I come out of my reverie thanking God for living in a time where flushing is common... But, now I'll have a new fear, knowing me... the chopping block should be a greater fear!  :happy15:

cinrit

Strong tongues didn't do women much good ... Anne Boleyn, Margaret Pole Countess of Salisbury (whom the executioner had to chase around the scaffold), Jane Boleyn (Anne's sister-in-law), Mary Queen of Scots, even Henry VIII's last wife who outlived him was in danger of being sent to the Tower ... much better to keep one's thoughts to oneself, something most of us today would have a hard time doing. :hehe:

Cindy

Lothwen

I would love to go back, but for maybe just a few hours :hehe:

My thing would be, because people didn't really bathe back then, and only wore perfume to cover up any smells, it must have stank to high heaven
You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

Limabeany

Anyone who's been on a Paris train or Perfume shop can relate.  :girlvomit: :girlvomit: :girlvomit:

Double post auto-merged: August 17, 2013, 04:45:47 PM

Quote from: cinrit on August 17, 2013, 03:24:18 PM
Strong tongues didn't do women much good ... Anne Boleyn, Margaret Pole Countess of Salisbury (whom the executioner had to chase around the scaffold), Jane Boleyn (Anne's sister-in-law), Mary Queen of Scots, even Henry VIII's last wife who outlived him was in danger of being sent to the Tower ... much better to keep one's thoughts to oneself, something most of us today would have a hard time doing. :hehe:

Cindy

I agree. Thank God time travel is impossible! :vday4:

cinrit

I remember reading long ago about a letter from Mary Queen of Scots' mother to her in France.  In it, she said to make sure to wash her hair once a month.  Eeek!!

Cindy

SophieChloe

How very indulgent of her - yuk-a-rooney!

I've read stories that they would chuck their...ahem....waste.... out of the window  :eyes:
Needs must I suppose. 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

cinrit

Limabeany

Quote from: cinrit on August 17, 2013, 06:32:25 PM
I remember reading long ago about a letter from Mary Queen of Scots' mother to her in France.  In it, she said to make sure to wash her hair once a month.  Eeek!!

Cindy

Didn't it stick together? Become unmanageable?  I wish one could know the details of life in the period... (Without having to experience it first hand, of course  :happy15:)

Double post auto-merged: August 17, 2013, 06:55:39 PM

Quote from: cinrit on August 17, 2013, 06:43:35 PM
^^ Right into the streets! :gross: :puke:

Cindy

I've seen it in some movies...  :girlvomit: :puke:

cinrit

Limabeany, I suppose the hair got greasy and icky.  I know that you can put powder in your hair and brush it out and your hair will be a little cleaner.  They do that for some bed bound patients now.  Anyway, by the 17th Century, people were wearing wigs to either cover the lice that lived in their hair or to hide the fact that they'd shaved their heads to eliminate the lice.

Mary Queen of Scots was wearing a wig when she was executed, but I don't know if that was the reason for the wig.

Cindy

Limabeany

Their hair couldn't have survived to old age in a great condition with that treament...  :) We are so lucky!

cinrit

Limabeany

cinrit

Thanks, Limabeany!  Elizabeth I was said to be one of the most fastidious monarchs (bathed once a month).  And her teeth were said to be black (rotted) by the time she reached old age.  (And don't forget her red wig.)  I'm off to read these in detail. :thanks:

Cindy

Limabeany

cinrit

I only have one comment .... ugh!!! :lol:  Now we know why they had to move from castle to castle periodically, so the previous one could be cleaned out and the old rushes burned and new ones put down. :wacko:  How about you, Limabeany? 

Cindy