Danish Monarchy: Articles from 2008

Started by truly_thata, November 26, 2007, 04:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marine2109

Lillianna

^^So do I. I can't wait to see what they do on this side... of course, us envious Swedes will quickly latch on to the idea and do something similar, albeit on a grander scale. Either that, or criticise the Danes and their efforts. We'll see when the reports start coming in: you have been warned! :laugh:
"Happy are those who expect nothing, for they will never be disappointed."

Be careful of your thoughts, for your thoughts become your words;
Be careful of your words, for your words become your deeds;
Be careful of your deeds, for your deeds become your habits;
Be careful of your habits, for your habits become your character;
Be careful of your character, for your character becomes your destiny.
Anon.

serene grace

They look happy again.
What are the rumours lately on their marriage, is all well?
They look great together.

"'Kate was going out with a bloke called Rupert Finch,' says a source. 'Soon afterwards, though, they split up and I remember William saying that he thought he might "have a go".'-TheGuardian-Observer: "Girl Interrupted"

wills

you can't force a kid to call a step parent 'mom' or 'dad'...

THE BEST REVENGE? Smile. Be happy. Never let them know it hurt.

Monika

I agree with Wills and Jenee. 

From a child's point of view, he/she may not want to be disloyal to his/her mother.  Also, in some cultures children are not encouraged to call adults by their first names.  It's considered impolite.   

AP:  "Kate Middleton Found Guilty of Breaking 11th Commandment:  Thou Shalt Not Be Luckier Than I"

Miss Scarlett

In the Hello! magazine article in the Fredrick/Mary thread on their trip to Thailand, Fredrick refers to his father as "the Price Consort."  I think it's a bit of formality and respect in public.  I'm sure they don't call her "the Pricess" in private, but it is respect and formality for their father's wife.  Although the royals seem like they are more informal and "breaths of fresh air," there are still formalities and manners that must be respected.  I say good for the boys for being raised appropriately and knowing the difference between private life and formal public life.

Like in the BRF, I've noticed that in public, when referring to parents, relatives, etc, the RF members use a more formal title.  Like Zara always refers to her grandmother when talking to other people either as "the Queen" or "Her Majesty," NEVER "Granny," although undoubtedly she calls her "Granny" in private.

princessealiénor

Lillianna

The royals are informal in private, but they rarely use familiar terms for their families in conversations with strangers and certainly not with reporters. So Queen Margrethe rarely says "Frederik" in interviews, she says "Kronprinsen" and she refers to her husband Henrik as "Prinsen". Same thing for Joachim. The children have simply been taught to respond to queries from strangers or outsiders who are not on intimate terms with the family in the same way.

There are sometimes lapses (Margrethe has said "Frederik" and "Joachim" in interviews before, but as I said, it's rare - I think in the past it has depended on the reporter she being interviewed by). CP Victoria of Sweden tends to say "pappa" when she refers to her father, even in formal interviews, but on the whole, they stick to protocol. Her father says "Kronprinsessan" and "Prins Carl-Philip" and "Drottningen" (the Queen). And the queen says "Kungen" (the king). I think the British royals are the ones who tend to stand on ceremony/stick to protocol the most. That's also why they come across as so stiff in public (except for the younger ones, who shock people by falling out of clubs, etc.). In this regard, Frederik and Joachim tend to be more formal than the younger British royals.

It's like when I speak with my sister about my parents: I say Mummy and Daddy in conversation with her. But when I speak with mere acquaintances, I say "my mother" and "my father". It would be weird to say "mummy" and "daddy" to people I barely know, or don't know. Of course, we live in an informal world, and many people in Sweden say "mamma" and "pappa" in conversation with complete strangers, since this is the way they were raised. I was raised in a more formal household; in some settings, it tends to stand out. But among older people of the same background, I fit right in. They like polite (and to their mind, well-brought-up) young people.
"Happy are those who expect nothing, for they will never be disappointed."

Be careful of your thoughts, for your thoughts become your words;
Be careful of your words, for your words become your deeds;
Be careful of your deeds, for your deeds become your habits;
Be careful of your habits, for your habits become your character;
Be careful of your character, for your character becomes your destiny.
Anon.

wills

i agree with you miss scarlett...

they call her "the princess" out of respect they have for their father's wife... i can not really think of another "name" referring to the princess.. not aunt, not mom, not anything.

my family's been in politics for some time... and a cousin is currently serving as a governor in a city...and when we have family reunions, i do refer to her as "ate" which is a respectful way of calling an older woman in the family. but if i was talking to other people outside the family circle, i refer to her as "the Governor"... there's formal and informal... there's private side and public side....

THE BEST REVENGE? Smile. Be happy. Never let them know it hurt.

marine2109

Quote04-12-2008 Denmark Crown Princess Mary on her daily jogging in the gardens of Fredensborg Castle with her bodyguard on bike

http://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?start=0&zoektype=2&search=04-12-2008%20Denmark

drezzle

If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

serene grace

Cute and Cuter  :hug:  :heart: :heart: :cupid:

"'Kate was going out with a bloke called Rupert Finch,' says a source. 'Soon afterwards, though, they split up and I remember William saying that he thought he might "have a go".'-TheGuardian-Observer: "Girl Interrupted"

drezzle

If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

serene grace

princessealiénor

fussy you think that, that is just a pic but we will see that in the future

anabell

Prince Cristian and Princess İsabella playing in park foto  www.myroyal.wordpress.com  :)

drezzle

Anabell -- what a great site.  Thanks.  In scrolling down I saw where Prince Joachim's oldest (don't remember his name) is holding the hand of his step-mother Princess Marie.  What an extraordinary child he seems to be.  Too bad he's not the next king after Frederik.

princessealiénor