Spanish Monarchy Current Events

Started by Jennifer, February 18, 2017, 01:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

And Sofia is in the danger zone age group. Couldn't infanta Elena be called in for some of the minor visits? I know she  strictly isn't on the roster but in this situation.....?

TLLK

@Curryong- I don't think that Felipe or Letizia would have an issue and would welcome the help but considering the anti-monarchy sentiments in Spain they'd likely not risk it. :(

Curryong

Yes, but I'm not suggesting Elena goes on a trip to Catalonia! She's reasonably popular and wellknown in most of Spain, isn't she, unlike Cristina? She could do a few non controversial out of town trips as can Sofia, I  suppose, while Leti stays close to the capital.

I don't know why they don't use Elena a bit more actually, considering that her mother is very elderly. She's apparently a friendly sort of person, if rather unexciting, and would at least be a stop gap in emergencies like this one, though I suppose, like most other royal families December is not the busiest month.

TLLK

@Curryong-I realize that you meant keeping her close to Madrid, but with Spain's constitution effectively removing the monarch's siblings from royal duties I see any scenario involving Elena's possible return to royal duties as  problematic. I do agree with you though that it makes much more sense to have her on board to assist  Felipe and Letizia than to have Sofia out there. IMHO Elena has always been a good representative at home and abroad.

Felipe has now returned to royal duties after his isolation at home.

King Felipe of Spain returns to public engagements after self-isolation ? Royal Central

QuoteKing Felipe VI has returned to public duties after being forced to quarantine. The King of Spain attended a high profile cultural meeting at the Pardo Palace in Madrid after ending a period of self isolation.

Felipe had to quarantine after coming into contact with someone who later tested positive for coronavirus. The monarch was checked and didn?t have the virus himself.

For the past ten days, the royal agenda in Spain has fallen to Queen Letizia with her husband making just one appearance, via video.

However, on December 3rd 2020, King Felipe oversaw the board meeting of the Carolina Foundation which works to promote cultural co-operation between Spain and IberoAmerican countries and fosters better ties between them in areas including education and science.

Curryong

Now Felipe has recovered (excellent news) all is back to normal again numbers-wise in the SRF. To tell the truth I was arguing from a false premise when I spoke of Elena joining the roster as I'd completely forgotten about the change in the constitution that barred Felipe's sisters from Royal duties or any sort of constitutional role once he was King. So it's all academic.

I don't know what would happen though if the King or Queen came down with something serious healthwise like MM of Norway while their daughters are still completing their education. (Norway is possibly in a worse position.) This is a VERY small RF really for a country the size of Spain, when compared to say the Netherlands or Denmark, where for instance Marie could come back to help in an emergency.

TLLK

I so agree. Honestly I don't know what they'd do as Leonor and Sofia are still underage and IMO deserve the opportunity to have the same adolescence/young adulthood as any of their peers. Queen Sofia is in her early 80's and JC and Cristina are more or less permanently exiled. If the worst were to happen, then the government should allow for Elena to step in. However I believe that the republican forces would use the opportunity to call for an end to the monarchy.

TLLK

TLLK

TLLK

TM are in Barcelona today to present the Cervantes prize to poet Joan Margarit. :xmas4:

Entrega del Premio Cervantes a Joan Margarit - YouTube

TLLK

The King and Queen at the annual Pascua Militar which is traditionally the first act of the year.

Los Reyes presiden la Pascua Militar: todas las fotograf?as de su primer acto de 2021

QuoteEvery year in Spain on the 6th of January, the Spanish Royal Family commemorates Pascua Militar, a military ceremony at the Royal Palace of Madrid.

At the Pascua Militar, King Felipe receives the ?Prime Minister, the Minister of Defence, the Chief of the Defence Staff, the Chiefs of Staff of all branches, the Grand Masters of the Royal and Military Orders of San Fernando and San Hermenegildo, the Civil Guard chiefs and the Veterans Brotherhood,? per Wikipedia.

King Felipe will also review the troops in the courtyard with the other members of the Royal Family, then receive the officers in the Throne Room. He also gives a speech, alongside the Prime Minister.

Traditionally the dress code is uniform for the royal men and the ladies wear a long dress or skirt.

Queen Letizia at the Pascua Militar ? Royal Central-An article from 2019 but with good photos from the past years.

Double post auto-merged: January 06, 2021, 06:58:58 PM

Queen Letizia steps out for first engagement of 2021

Today is also Three Kings Day or the Epiphany in Spain. This is the last night of the Christmas holidays and in many nations the day when gifts are exchanged. Reportedly the King, Queen and their daughters spent the afternoon with Letzia's father Jose Ortiz.  :xmas4:

La Reina Letizia cumple un a?o m?s con la tradici?n: come rosc?n con su padre el d?a de Reyes

TLLK

Nearly all of Spain was hit by unusually cold and snowy weather for the first time in decades.

King Felipe urges ?extreme caution? as Spain hit by worst snowstorm in a generation ? Royal Central

QuoteKing Felipe VI has urged people across Spain to exercise extreme caution as the country is hit by the heaviest snow it has seen in half a century. Four people have died since Storm Filomena brought massive falls in many parts of the country over the past days.

In a message on the official Twitter account for the Spanish Royal Family, King Felipe and Queen Letizia said they wanted to share the sadness they felt for the victims of the storm and urged ?extreme caution against the risks of accumulations of snow and ice.? They also expressed they interest in the plight of ?those affected? and said they shared the deep concerns of national, regional and local authorities.

Storm Filomena hit Spain on January 8th 2021, with snow quickly carpeting much of the central part of the country. Some areas were deluged with eight inches of snow in less than 24 hours. Traffic in the capital, Madrid, came to a halt while in some areas, military assistance was needed to clear roads. Rail services were also hit with no trains running in or out of the capital. Flights were also suspended at Barajas Airport in Madrid as the bad weather intensified.

wannable

A side note, It snowed yesterday in Austin, Texas. A very very rare climate event.

PrincessOfPeace

PrincessOfPeace

TLLK

Queen Letizia attends meeting for ?Women and Engineering? Project ? Royal Central

QuoteQueen Letizia has chaired the first meeting of a strategic council in place for Women in Engineering in Spain, heralding in a project for change within the industry.

The meeting, which took place at the Royal Academy of Engineering in Spain on January 26th, included women in science professions including research, science, engineering and technology who have helped launch this project ?to promote the participation of women in these areas, essential for development and social transformation,? according to the Royal Academy.

Upon her arrival, Queen Letizia was received by Pedro Duque, the Minister of Science and Education; Antonio Colino, the President of the Royal Academy of Engineering; Mar?a Vallet, the Vice President of the RAI and Director of the Intelligent Biomaterials Research Group; and Elena Salgado, President of the Women in Engineering Strategic Council.

During the subsequent meeting, the Strategic Council discussed its objectives; created an organisational chart, objectives and activities for the promotion of female technological talent; and discussed ways that it can engage and present its mission throughout 2021.

Double post auto-merged: January 28, 2021, 02:45:18 PM

Wow! I didn't not expect to see one of these events at a European court in 2021. The Spanish have had a January Diplomatic reception. The Prime Minister and Foreign Minster were present as well. The guest list was reduced by 50% in light of COVID 19. As far as I know, all other European courts cancelled their annual diplomatic corp receptions that are traditionally held in December or January.

PPE Agency

TLLK

Queen Letizia at an in person visit to Help Against Drug Addiction.

https://www.hola.com/imagenes/moda/actualidad/20210202183613/reina-letizia-abrigo-gris-zapato-plano-look/0-915-635/letizia1-z.jpg

On the same day, King Felipe receives a group of Brigadier Generals and Naval Captains at the Royal Palace. Spain like the Netherlands, Belgium, and Sweden has a large royal palace located in their respective capital cities that is not the monarch's residence. Felipe and his family live in the Prince's Pavilion located on the grounds of Zarzuela Palace which was Felipe's childhood home and the current residence of Queen Sofia.

Inicio - Actividades y Agenda - Audiencia militar a un grupo de Generales de Brigada y Contralmirantes

TLLK

TLLK

TLLK

King Felipe praises former King Juan Carlos' actions on the 40th anniversary of the attempted coup that took place on 2/23/81.

Felipe VI praises his father, Juan Carlos, on important anniversary ? Royal Central

QuoteKing Felipe praised King Juan Carlos on the fortieth anniversary of the attempted coup which saw army officers hold politicians hostage in parliament.

Juan Carlos is widely credited with ensuring the coup attempt failed. As the officers took control of parliament on February 23rd 1981, Juan Carlos spoke on television, denouncing the move. It came to an end hours later.

At a short ceremony, held at the same building four decades on, Spain?s current monarch spoke of his predecessor?s famous intervention. King Felipe said his father had ? assumed as Head of State his responsibility and his commitment to the Constitution?, adding ?his firmness and authority were decisive for the defense and triumph of democracy.?

Ahead of the ceremony, which took place in the Hall of Lost Steps in Congress, some commentators had questioned whether King Juan Carlos would even be mentioned at the event which was attended by just a handful of politicians owing to the coronavirus restrictions. Juan Carlos himself is in Abu Dhabi following his decision to go into self imposed exile in 2020 following continuing allegations of financial impropriety.

Instead, King Felipe was the sole royal representative at the ceremony. He was joined by Spain?s current Prime Minister, Pedro Sanchez, as well as the President of the Congress of Deputies, Meritxell Batet, and the President of the Senate, Pilar Llop.

During his speech, King Felipe also emphasised the importance of marking the anniversary, saying it ?obliges us to value?.the irreplaceable democratic principle that underpins our coexistence. Respect for the social and democratic State of Law in which Spain has been established since 1978 and which we have built for more than four decades, step by step and shoulder to shoulder? and added ?we all, citizens and Institutions, must feel committed and obliged to defend, protect and preserve our coexistence in democracy and freedom.?

Spain?s monarch ended by describing the anniversary as a chance ? to reaffirm and renew the commitment of all State institutions to our democratic system of rights and freedoms?, ending ?we owe it to the Spanish people.?

TLLK

https://royalcentral.co.uk/europe/spain/king-felipe-and-queen-letizia-to-resume-state-visits-156541/

QuoteThe King and Queen of Spain are to make their first State Visit since the start of the coronavirus pandemic.

King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia will spend two days in Andorra at the end of March on a trip that will cover education and culture as well as see the royals meet local politicians and dignitaries.

Felipe and Letizia will travel to Andorra, which Spain borders in the Pyrenees, on March 25th. They will be accompanied by Spain?s Foreign Minister, Arancha Gonz?lez Laya. The visit will last until March 26th 2021.

It?s the first State Visit from Spain to Andorra which is ruled jointly by the Bishop of Urgell in Catalonia and the President of France. The two day trip comes ahead of Andorra?s presidency of the Ibero-American Summit of Heads of State and Government in April this year which King Felipe is also set to attend.

State Visits have been off the agenda for Europe?s royals throughout the pandemic. Travel between Spain and Andorra is permitted for work reasons.

TLLK

Queen Letizia speaks with Princess of Girona winners ? Royal Central

QuoteQueen Letizia met with the winner of this year?s Princess of Girona 2021 Arts and Letters Award on Thursday, and held a roundtable talk with previous winners, ahead of this year?s virtual awards ceremony.

Mar?a S?nchez Rodr?guez was named as the 2021 Arts and Letters Award winner, for her work ?as a poet, writer and activist in defense of rural culture, and especially, the forgotten role of women in the countryside,? per the Spanish Royal House.

Rodr?guez said in a quick speech that her win is ?a recognition of my work and of myself both as a field veterinarian and as a writer. It highlights the culture and living heritage that we have in our rural areas.?

The jury, who announced their selection on Thursday, said that Rodr?guez?s ?work as a veterinarian provides her with a deep connection with the environmental and social heritage of rural life, which she is capable of transmitting with a firm and personal poetic voice.?

The Princess of Girona Awards are named in honour of the current Princess of Girona, Princess Leonor, who attends the ceremony with her family every year.

TLLK

TLLK

Queen Letizia of Spain looks typically stylish in red on first foreign trip since pandemic began | Daily Mail Online

QuoteThe two day trip marks the couple's first trip outside of Spain since the start of the coronavirus pandemic, with state visits previously off the cards for Europe?s royals due to travel restrictions.

QuoteThe couple were accompanied by Spain?s Foreign Minister, Arancha Gonz?lez Laya as they met foreign dignitaries at the Casa de la Vall, the headquarters of the General Council of Andorra.

Letizia was seen waving to royal fans ahead of meeting with Joan Enric Vives, Co-Prince of Andorra and Archbishop of Urgell, and Patrick Strzoda, the representative of the French President.

During the visit in the country's capitol Andorra la Vella, Letizia took part in a meeting about the inclusion of students with disability at the Andorra Park Hotel.

TudorQueen

With Charles and Camilla, I nearly forgot our second royal foreign trip this year.

Letizia looked quite elegant in red. But I am not a fan of the feathers especially for a royal tour.

It seems a life time ago since we had any foreign trips. And now we have had two to discus this week.