Danish Monarchy Current Events and News Part 2

Started by sara8150, December 31, 2023, 09:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

@PrincessOfPeace, @wannable  and @sara8
150  Thank you for the updates.

There is so much happening in Denmark between January 2nd until the 14th!

I tend to believe that because the "handover" is such a simple affair that it will make it a bit easier. 

Now it's possible that Daisy might model hers on Beatrix's  actual abdication ceremony . The document is drawn up and the necessary DRF members along with the government's representatives are present. Margrethe gives a short speech and signs the document.  Frederik and Mary  sign it. Also since he us now an adult, possibly Christian will too.

Then the announcement is made by the PM to bid farewell to Daisy and welcome Frederik,  Mary and family.

No large scale enthronement event would take place,  but perhaps a reception later in the year?
Daisy then throws a huge Zoom happy hour for herself and all her retired peers in which all have to show off a craft or demonstrate a hobby they have made or enjoyed in their post abdication time.  :bday: :mbb: :violinstop: :sumo: :booknerd: :mil1: :polo: :scuba: :hula: :random44:

TLLK

@TudorQueen -Looking forward to predictions as to which historic tiara Mary will wear first from the royal collection!

PrincessOfPeace

Changes in the titles of the royal family:

On Sunday 14 January 2024, HRH the Crown Prince will take over the Danish throne as HM King Frederik 10. HRH the Crown Princess will from the same date be HM Queen Mary.

The royal couple will henceforth bear the title of King and Queen of Denmark.

HRH Prince Christian will be heir to the throne and henceforth will be referred to as HRH Crown Prince Christian.

After the change of throne, HM the Queen will continue to be majesty and bear the title HM Queen Margrethe -

?ndringer i den kongelige families titler

sara8150

Quote from: Curryong on January 02, 2024, 04:28:43 AM
I don?t think the Queen came to this conclusion on Dec 30th! She mentioned in her speech that in the period of her back op last year her health was at the forefront of her mind while musing about her position. Everybody hoped that the operation was successful but she has constantly used her cane since while walking and there have been times when, although stoic, she was in pain.

And she is in her eighties. Christian has reached 18 now and could in theory take over should anything happen to his father. Frederik and Mary are in their fifties and are very practiced at royal duties. Frederik is 55. Perhaps Queen Daisy didn?t want to hang on till her nineties with her son still waiting. And the spectacle of King Charles?s Coronation at 74 probably strengthened that decision.

I think this has been in process for probably over a year. The restricting of Prince Joachims?s children?s titles (which came as a shock to everyone) was, I believe, part of the clearing away of possible problems before the new reign. And new reign, new year. And she can now relax and take care of herself at long last.

Yes

Late Queen Elizabeth still head of state for 70 years when she took duty at 26 years old after her father died but Queen Margrethe makes decisions to abdicate like Beatrix

before Charles become King he been waiting become King he been Prince of Wales for over 50 years and he crowned last May 6,2023

Queen Margrethe had back surgery but she send her son CP Frederick for his mom?s behalf till NOW Frederick will taking his mom?s place

sara8150

Gert?s Royals Twitter says

QuoteThe Kingdom of Denmark is made up of 3 parts, Denmark and 2 autonomous territory (Greenland & the Faroe Islands).I would not be surprised to see King Frederik shortly after his accession make a trip to Greenland and the Faroe Islands.

QuoteDenmark does not have a tradition of abdication. Queen Margrethe will become the first Danish monarch in almost 900 years to abdicate, and the 2nd in Denmark's history. (King Eric III Lamb of Denmark abdicated in 1146, at age ~25, after ruling for 9 years.

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on January 02, 2024, 05:04:31 PM
@TudorQueen -Looking forward to predictions as to which historic tiara Mary will wear first from the royal collection!

Yes, will it be the Pearl poire set? It won?t be (at least I hope not) that strange gold arrangement Daisy was so fond of.

Curryong

Bert?s Royals is wrong on one count with that diagram. Queen Margrethe is to drop her regnal number of Margrethe II and will simply be known as Her Majesty Queen Margrethe, or more simply Queen Margrethe. I believe King Juan Carlos of Spain did the same thing on his abdication.

sara8150

Mary will become first Australia Queen of Denmark

Curryong

I expected the British tabloids to go for the salacious as soon as this news was announced and try and assert that the  doings (whatever they were) in Madrid last October were a main reason for Queen Daisy?s abdication. And I was correct.  They never disappoint!

What they were really hoping for no doubt was that the Danish monarchy would be thrown into crisis and Danes everywhere would be speaking out against Fred. Instead, nothing at all happened. La affair Casanova didn?t cause even a twitch in Denmark. The Crown Prince couple remain extremely popular.

That hasn?t stopped the Fail, Sun and the others from speculating that Queen Margrethe was thrown into a decision that her son?s marriage must be saved/strengthened (hint hint that Mary was thinking of walking out) and so the abdication was announced two months later. Totally and completely ridiculous. However when has that ever stopped London?s tabloids!

Curryong

Oh, so now Kate and Mary are copying each other?s fashion styles (which are similar) in spite of the fact that Mary has been in royal public life and married to a Crown Prince for nearly two decades and Kate for about twelve years. Mary, in almost all cases wore the trouser suits first. And in fact Meghan wore trouser suits before Kate, as in the first Well Child award ceremony she took part in. She wore black then, and slacks on other formal occasions before Kate.

Just as the media are now asserting, with all the authority they possess (that is zero) that Kate and William are besties with the new Danish King and Queen. That is in spite of the fact that there is a decade and more age gap between them, not to mention that the four of them have met all of approximately ten times (if that) since 2011! It?s truly farcical how these tabloids constantly try to assert that two and two make five.

Blue Clover

Quote from: TudorQueen on January 02, 2024, 12:50:01 AM
Just came home from vacation and was shocked to hear this. Thought she'd reign till she died like Elizabeth.

I do wonder if there are health worries we don't know. Or if has considered for a while and waited till Christian was an adult.

Tudor Queen, I thought the same thing. Maybe she can't go on reigning until her death. I hope Mary and Fred's relationship can weather this transition, they will have to lean on each other.

TudorQueen

@TLLK @Curryong I would love to see her in the pearl poire. Margrethe wore it for her first portrait as queen so would be fitting  :hearts: :flower3:

Wedding gift to Princess Louise of Prussia in 1825 and worn by every Danish queen since.

The Pearl Poire Tiara

As long as its not the hiddeous modern gold tiara I can be happy though.

sara8150

In Denmark will have no coronation for newly sovereign King Frederick and Queen Mary that called proclamation not back to 1800?s that same Queen Margrethe become Queen in 1972 respective

Christian VIII was the last coronated king,1840, and immediately after the succesion of his son King Frederik VII in 1848, Frederik VII signed the first constitution in 1849.

Why does Denmark not have a coronation?
The Danish royal family scrapped its elaborate coronations in the 1800s in favour of a simple proclamation. In essence, the act is simply one monarch accepting their new duties while also mourning the loss of the previous sovereign.
Same Queen Margrethe?s father if im correct or im wrong

Inauguration, not coronation, and how the Dutch monarchy is (almost) just a job - Victoria Times Colonist
Same Dutch Royals,Spain Royals and Belgium Royals swore for jobs not coronation ceremonies

Danish republicans mobilise after shock abdication of Queen Margrethe II - who will stand aside for scandal-hit son Crown Prince Frederik | Daily Mail

Frosty reception! Prince Frederik and Princess Mary of Denmark appear distant for New Year outing amid rumours Queen Margrethe's abdication was bid to

Queen Margrethe, Prince Frederik, Princess Mary Step Out Amid Abdication News

Prince Frederik and Princess Mary make regal appearance after future royal titles are announced | HELLO!

Why Prince Frederik and Princess Mary will not have a coronation | HELLO!
"The first Danish coronation was in 1170 and the last in 1840 for King Christian VIII and his second wife, Caroline Amalie of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenberg, who succeeded in 1839 and died in 1848. The throne passed to his thrice-married son, Frederik VII, who had no surviving children." "Denmark was an elective monarchy until 1660. These elective monarchs had full coronation ceremonies, but the change to the hereditary monarchy in 1660 brought a new ceremony. The king and queen were anointed but no crowning. They came into the church wearing their crowns. By 1849, when Frederik VII succeeded, Denmark was a constitutional monarchy, and the anointing ceremony was abolished."  "Since 1849, the new sovereign has been proclaimed as King or Queen by the Prime Minister. Margrethe was proclaimed queen on the balcony of Christiansborg Palace on 15 January 1972, the day after her father, Frederik IX died.

"This will be the first time that the proclamation (far less formal than the Accession Council where Charles was proclaimed) will happen because a Sovereign is abdicating, and not because of a death, so Frederik will not be wearing mourning clothes."

While Edward VIII's abdication in 1936 sparked a constitutional crisis in Britain, Marlene says that abdication is not common in the Danish monarchy's history, with the last in its history when Eric III Lam stepped down in 1146.

She adds: "In numerous interviews and statements, Queen Margrethe had been adamant that she would not abdicate. In her speech, Margrethe alluded to her back surgery and that gave her thought about abdicating. Perhaps there are other health ailments not yet known.

"It was not on my royal bingo card for 2023, but it was the Queen's careful decision, not done lightly, and certainly not in haste.

"She said in her speech, 'The surgery naturally gave rise to thinking about the future - whether the time had come to leave the responsibility to the next generation.'"

While the likes of Belgium and Spain have seen their respective monarchs Albert II and Juan Carlos I abdicate in recent years in favour of their younger heirs, Marlene says: "Abdication is not as common in Europe as you think. The Netherlands and the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg have established abdication of the sovereign in favour of the next in line."

PrincessOfPeace

Blue Clover

I am trying to wrap my mind around the changes and the decision not to have a coronation. I know some balcony event served as a coronation in the past, but they aren't doing that. I wonder who made this decision.

Macrobug67

I would loved to see a big flashy coronation but I think I see the point of doing it this way.  Monarchies and coronations are part of the past.  To survive in today?s world the different royal families have to forge a new path to survive.  Coronations are, in essence, a way of showing that the monarch is above all others.  In a world of equality that just doesn?t fly.  The monarchs role as head of state has a place still but as an elevated being, not so much.  I really think that Charles? coronation, pared down as it was, is going to be the last one we saw.  It really is hard to justify the money that is spent. 

So, no coronation.  No glitsy crowns and robes.   Darn.   

Curryong

Quote from: Blue Clover on January 04, 2024, 04:18:33 AM
I am trying to wrap my mind around the changes and the decision not to have a coronation. I know some balcony event served as a coronation in the past, but they aren't doing that. I wonder who made this decision.

What ?changes??  What ?decision?? The last Coronation of the sort that is seen in the UK occurred in Denmark in 1840. Every monarch since then has been acclaimed from the balcony by the serving PM (or earlier by the President of the Council.) Frederik will be merely following the traditions of his country and his predecessors, even though his mother is abdicating and hasn?t died.

The last Coronation UK style seen in Scandinavia was King Haakon of Norway in 1906. And that was probably as a compliment to Queen Maud as the daughter of King Edward VII.

The only monarchy in the world to have a Coronation is GB. No other European monarchy has it. Spain doesn?t, Belgium doesn?t, Norway, Sweden and Denmark don't, the Netherlands doesn?t. Most haven?t had coronations for centuries. Would you point out please which European country besides the UK has regularly held Coronations in the last century.

Curryong

Oh I?m so sorry! My mistake. Ought to have looked. Is this an official announcement from the Danish Court btw? Apart from this Royal News YouTube thing can?t find any source.

However, if true, I think the changes would be  due solely to the legislative process that will have to take place in the switch from one monarch to another. After all, this is the only abdication in modern Danish history (and this arguably is the oldest monarchy in Europe) and dead monarchs dont sign anything! All the politicians have to be present, it has to be transparent.

I have no doubt whatsoever with this monarchy that King, Queen, and all the family including the abdicated Queen Margrethe will be on that balcony in front of loyal crowds sooner rather than later. It has to be given time. This abdication was no doubt a shock to the Danish population. However I?m sure that there will be visits from the other Scandi royals, a gala banquet and a cruise to the Faroes in the coming months.

Curryong

A Danish poster on the big royal forum answered a query from a poster who must have seen the same YouTube video you linked. Below is the gist of what he posted in reply. That YouTube video appears to have been a mistranslation from somewhere.

?No, the statement from the PM's office says that the PM, Mette Frederiksen, will proclaim Frederik next Sunday.

I think this misunderstanding stems from the fact that no law says that the PM must do the proclamation. It can be anyone. It's just become tradition that it's the PM.
There has also been some speculation that the snowstorm yesterday could prevent the proclamation. But that's a bit far out! Unless there is a howling Fimbull (*) snowstorm in Copenhagen next Sunday there will be a proclamation.?

PrincessOfPeace

LouisFerdinand

From @sara8150 -   
Meet Denmark's Royals: Your Guide to the Danish Monarchy's Family Tree   

It was interesting to learn that Queen Margrethe II had received the nickname The Ashtray Queen.