Books written about and by the Sussexes Part 4.

Started by TLLK, February 10, 2023, 11:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannable

Quote from: wannable on April 12, 2023, 02:31:28 PM
Their SussexRoyal website had a bunch of demands, none of it stood. They started deleting one by one.

I can't post the before and after image, it's too large, and I refuse to transcribe. The only item left of the 30 (deleted) is Harry preliminary hearing fighting  IPP status with Home Office. Will it won't it go to court is still pending.

TLLK

Posts about Tom Parker-Bowles' comments have been moved to this thread linked below. Please continue the discussion there. Thank you.

The Parker-Bowles Family News and Chat

wannable

'I was exasperated': Prince Harry's ghostwriter J.R Moehringer tells of tensions between them while working on Spare and reveals their relationship became so fraught that he shouted at the royal in row at 2am

'I was exasperated': Prince Harry's Spare ghostwriter J.R Moehringer tells of tensions between them | Daily Mail Online

Original article: NY Times

changemhysoul

Instead of posting just the daily mail spin on the mans words, it'd be good to post the actual article.

The part that became a daily mail headline.

Notes from Prince Harry?s Ghostwriter | The New Yorker

"Harry always wanted to end this scene with a thing he said to his captors, a comeback that struck me as unnecessary, and somewhat inane. Good for Harry that he had the nerve, but ending with what he said would dilute the scene?s meaning: that even at the most bizarre and peripheral moments of his life, his central tragedy intrudes. For months, I?d been crossing out the comeback, and for months Harry had been pleading for it to go back in. Now he wasn?t pleading, he was insisting, and it was 2 a.m., and I was starting to lose it. I said, ?Dude, we?ve been over this.?

Why was this one line so important? Why couldn?t he accept my advice? We were leaving out a thousand other things?that?s half the art of memoir, leaving stuff out?so what made this different? Please, I said, trust me. Trust the book.

Although this wasn?t the first time that Harry and I had argued, it felt different; it felt as if we were hurtling toward some kind of decisive rupture, in part because Harry was no longer saying anything. He was just glaring into the camera. Finally, he exhaled and calmly explained that, all his life, people had belittled his intellectual capabilities, and this flash of cleverness proved that, even after being kicked and punched and deprived of sleep and food, he had his wits about him.

?Oh,? I said. ?O.K.? It made sense now. But I still refused.

?Why??

Because, I told him, everything you just said is about you. You want the world to know that you did a good job, that you were smart. But, strange as it may seem, memoir isn?t about you. It?s not even the story of your life. It?s a story carved from your life, a particular series of events chosen because they have the greatest resonance for the widest range of people, and at this point in the story those people don?t need to know anything more than that your captors said a cruel thing about your mom.

Harry looked down. A long time. Was he thinking? Seething? Should I have been more diplomatic? Should I have just given in? I imagined I?d be thrown off the book soon after sunup. I could almost hear the awkward phone call with Harry?s agent, and I was sad. Never mind the financial hit?I was focussed on the emotional shock. All the time, the effort, the intangibles I?d invested in Harry?s memoir, in Harry, would be gone just like that.

After what seemed like an hour, Harry looked up, and we locked eyes. ?O.K.,? he said.

?O.K.??

?Yes. I get it.?

?Thank you, Harry,? I said, relieved.

He shot me a mischievous grin. ?I really enjoy getting you worked up like that.?

I burst into laughter and shook my head, and we moved on to his next set of edits."

----

It's a wonderful article with great insight.

I'm also glad that once he got a taste of what Harry's been through, how the media out-right lies and stalks people, he was able to understand people even more. I'm also glad how he called out TX Maxx  and how they rushed to de-cry Harry, only for the world to push back, show them to be liars and how he pointed out that TX MAXX had ties to the Charles Trust.

Curryong

I am very glad when the original article is printed with regard to articles about Harry. The DM always puts a poisonous spin on everything he and Meghan do so it?s good when the true state of affairs is shown.

Notes from Prince Harry?s Ghostwriter | The New Yorker

HistoryGirl2

^I don?t know if this is the place to discuss it, but since the article is mainly about his experience ghost writing Harry?s biography, I wonder about the merits of the practice. They?re partially Harry?s words, but not fully. I gotta admit, I don?t tend to like the majority of autobiographies because it takes a rare individual to be introspective and honest enough about themselves for me to find much worth in them to understand the person. There have been some standouts though.

I think I much prefer biographies where the author speaks to all different people that knew the person, analyzes their actions, uses some of their own words and paints a picture. Because that tends to be a more honest portrayal of the person than most could muster of themselves.

And part of the reason (small part) why I didn?t read the book was because I felt the author to be a poor one. A saccharine, cliched, and juvenile voice. But now I feel that this was maybe because of the subject not necessarily because of him.

wannable

Neil Sean last night questioned how much involvement Meghan had with Together: Our Community Cookbook.  He disclosed that the then Duchess of Cornwall (Queen Camilla) invited Meghan, Harry and any friends she wanted to include in a family lunch. The invitation was accepted, Camilla ordered the kitchen to do the Together: Our Community Cookbook recipes as a detail of friendship, welcome to the fam, acknowledgement, positives and the sort. 

Meghan didn't mention, recognize the foods served. Neil Sean said Camilla told Meghan at the end of the lunch party the recipes, unresponsive poker face.

Neil Sean is using the above alleged encounter as an example of deceitful Harry, in Spare.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on May 12, 2023, 04:55:32 PM
Neil Sean last night questioned how much involvement Meghan had with Together: Our Community Cookbook.  He disclosed that the then Duchess of Cornwall (Queen Camilla) invited Meghan, Harry and any friends she wanted to include in a family lunch. The invitation was accepted, Camilla ordered the kitchen to do the Together: Our Community Cookbook recipes as a detail of friendship, welcome to the fam, acknowledgement, positives and the sort. 

Meghan didn't mention, recognize the foods served. Neil Sean said Camilla told Meghan at the end of the lunch party the recipes, unresponsive poker face.

Neil Sean is using the above alleged encounter as an example of deceitful Harry, in Spare.

We know that Meghan had plenty of involvement in the Together cookbook. The reason, several women involved in the project said so. They had no need to lie. She organised the publishing of the cookbook, it couldn?t have got into the marketplace if it hadn?t been for her.

And where did Sean get this piece of gossip second or third hand from anyway, Clarkson, Morgan, other of Camilla?s journalist friends? Funny it?s come out now, about three years after the cookbook?s publication. Sounds like dismantling by journalists of every single thing Meghan did when in the royal family bit by bit to me, because the Sussexes are suing the media by which journalists get their living, and because of ?Spare?, which of course Camilla is annoyed about.

That book contained dozens of recipes. The lunch probably served three courses at the most.  Was Meghan supposed to instantly recognise each one and start raving about it? We don?t know in what context Meghan was ?poker face? or what motive Camilla really had in holding that lunch. Meghan could very well have mistrusted Camilla, whom Harry in particular didn?t  like very much.

After all, Camilla had invited Diana to lunch before she had married Charles in 1981. The reason? Specifically to snoop out whether Diana would be going hunting after her marriage. When she found out she wouldn?t be, she was probably cock a hoop as we know that she and Charles used hunting with the Belvoir to rendezvous. That?s the sort of person she was and is.

Whatever she tries to say or do, nothing on this earth will wipe out how Camilla behaved before and during Charles?s first marriage, and she knows it. A large section of the British public dislike her because of that behaviour. I  wouldn?t trust her an inch either.

wannable

Curryong

No, it?s Neil Sean?s rubbish. Just more of the same.

HistoryGirl2

That?s not exactly a ?gotcha? though, if that story is even true. I never thought Meghan was heavily involved with that cookbook in the same way I don?t think anyone in the RF is heavily involved in the day to day work of their charities. Maybe it?s just cynical me, but I always assumed they showed up to cut the ribbon 90% of the time?not that that?s an issue. It?s what they?re there for. They?re the popular face that gets attention for the good cause, they?re not toiling away behind the scenes.

Their biggest asset is the attention they receive. There is then an attempt to have that attention be some good publicity for the event/organization. I can?t imagine how many lunches Meghan and Harry had with Camilla considering how much Harry despises her to be honest. Unless Charles was actually the one hosting.

changemhysoul

Updates:

The Bench has now been translated into Korean

---

Invictus

https://twitter.com/InvictusAus/status/1656949542192046085

First group cycling camp for Team Australia as they prepare for
@InvictusGamesDE
. Go Team! Run by our partners at
@UniSAIPP
and ADF #IG23 #unconqueredtogether #invictus #invictusgames
@WeAreInvictus

https://twitter.com/invictusgamesNG/status/1656951204469956609

Introducing Team Nigeria 🇳🇬 for
@InvictusGamesDE

-------

KABOOM

https://twitter.com/kaboom/status/1657111657208750080?s=20

This weekend, thanks to the decades of effort by Coach Sandoval, Uvalde Dual Language Academy will get a new playground.
@UvaldeNews
details how meeting with Meghan Markle and a suggestion from The Archewell Foundation led to the school's dream playground.
, these 10 wounded, injured and sick serving personnel will participate in IG23. Representing Nigeria 🇳🇬 and Africa for the first time they are steadfast, determined and unconquered! Let?s cheer them on all the way to D?sseldorf.

with attached article

Volunteers need to build playground at UDLA - Uvalde Leader News

quotes from the article

?She won me over that day. Her gentleness, her empathy, everything ? just seeing her make eye contact, getting on her knees, crying. It was just such a great experience for me to see being that I didn?t really know her,? Sandoval said.

While Sandoval didn?t know it at the time, her remarks to Markle?s staff led to new playgrounds at De Leon Park, Esperanza Park, and soon, at her school, the fulfillment of an over-two decade dream."

"The city of Uvalde, the Archewell Foundation and KABOOM! worked together Ocober 13-15, 2022, to transform De Leon Park, the first in a series of projects. Next on the roster was Esperanza Park, redone April 18-20, and the upcoming UDLA build next weekend. The CarMax Foundation funded the playground at Esperanza Park. The Community Foundation Uvalde Forever Fund, Bank of America, San Antonio Spurs, and the San Antonio Area Foundation contributed funding for the UDLA build set Saturday."

Curryong

I am glad to see The Bench doing so well. I believe it?s been translated into several languages now. And also great to see Nigerian competitors so eager and enthusiastic to get into cycling for their team.
So many projects too! These playgrounds, thanks to Archewell, Kaboom! and other organisations will be a real blessing to kids and their parents for years to come. It?s great that Meghan really promoted this.

wannable

Was the book translated for her husband, her family only. That is what it seems to be rather than available for South Koreans.

ETA: I'm asking, because for context she says she translated the 'cover' for her husband, the book is for adults rather than children, she says her own fairy book is better, but the pictures are nice.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on May 13, 2023, 12:51:11 PM
Was the book translated for her husband, her family only. That is what it seems to be rather than available for South Koreans.

ETA: I'm asking, because for context she says she translated the 'cover' for her husband, the book is for adults rather than children, she says her own fairy book is better, but the pictures are nice.

The Bench has been translated into 11 languages, including Spanish and Italian. The latest is South Korean. Unless you believe the publishing company is lying.

wannable

^ They (Random House) usually announces it with media announcements. Anyway, I didn't mention Random House, I mentioned the instagramer.

changemhysoul

Quote from: Nightowl on May 14, 2023, 03:17:41 AM
And?

Can you provide some other clarification than "And?"

If you're referencing The Bench, I realize I might've put it in the wrong thread as it's related to books of the Sussex's but I posted it because I felt like it.

If you're referencing the post about Allianceofmoms I also posted that because I felt like it as well as Alliance is a charity and they posted about Meghan.