George general chat

Started by Windsor, July 22, 2013, 07:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenee

We did a pretty good job guessing in our poll!

Quote from: Jenee on June 03, 2013, 11:19:30 AM
WINDSOR!!! We need a tie breaking vote!

Phillip was cited most popular, but tied for the other spots are Alexander, Arthur, David, and George!
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Maria5583

I think Alexander would have been a good name and I read that Kate really liked that one. But obviously the Queen and William probably preferred a more regal name. It is kind of unfortunate that royal parents don't necessary have all the say on what their children would be called because of tradition.

Unfortunately, there are no cute short forms of George, other than George Porgy and he will outgrow that or be teased mercilessly for it!

:shemademe:

Limabeany

No one knows who liked what. Both are kind of boring and traditional despite the efforts of the media to make them sound revolutionarily modern. So George makes sense...   :happy15:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Lothwen

I'm just glad this baby doesn't have 6 middle names....:Lothwen:

While "George" is an "older-sounding" name, the fact remains that old men were young once, and young men will be old themselves one day, so I don't see a problem with it.
You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

missbliss

I've never seen what is "boring" about being traditional.  Traditions are fine things - they are the memory of a nation and a people ( and families for that matter.). And one of the most traditional things on earth is a monarchy, which derives its existence from history, tradition and bloodlines.  So a traditional choice makes sense.

Besides it turns out that "George" is the 12 th most popular boys name in the UK.  So lots of folks must like "boring, traditional names!"

Honesty

Quote from: cinrit on July 24, 2013, 10:37:43 PM
I'm a little sad that Prince Philip hasn't been able to see him.  Maybe they Skype'd...

Cindy

I am not sure the exact distance from Windsor Castle to Bucklebury, but I would not discount Prince Philip taking a drive out to visit his great grandson.  It is known that Philip gets on very well with Carole Middleton.  As I am sure the Queen does too.  I would think something like 30 minutes road time.

anitalalala

Someone came here somwhere and said...
The baby will be a king and hes name will be george...Swear to god someoen have said this before...weird..creepy..im afraid... :eyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like george but i woulnt name a son george dont ask me why maybe coz in my language george doesnt sound that good..i mean imagine keep calling ure child george here and there...no...
But i like alexander  :thumbsup:
I dont know to behonets i didnt liked it...prince george...weird...just my views anywya...

Honesty

We have a capital city in northern British Columbia named Prince George.  They have been inundated with newspapers from all around for details on the city.  Folks here are not too sure how the city got it's name.  Was it George 3, was it Prince George born in 1915 ? when the town incorporated or was it named after his son Prince George of Kent ?.

Anyway, Canadians are celebrating in the city and are thrilled.

Limabeany

Quote from: missbliss on July 25, 2013, 12:44:09 AM
I've never seen what is "boring" about being traditional.  Traditions are fine things - they are the memory of a nation and a people ( and families for that matter.). And one of the most traditional things on earth is a monarchy, which derives its existence from history, tradition and bloodlines.  So a traditional choice makes sense.

Besides it turns out that "George" is the 12 th most popular boys name in the UK.  So lots of folks must like "boring, traditional names!"

Popularity does not mean everyone likes it. I suspect St. George has something to do with that, in Catholic countries many mothers name their children Mary as a Thank You for a healthy baby. I just don't like George for a child or even a man. That's just me. I don't think traditional is boring that is why I said I thought them traditional and boring, both. There are other traditional choices in a Monarchy that is over 1000 years old. I personally did not like the name or the fact that Philip was not included. Just me. That is all. :happy:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

missbliss

Quote@RoyalReporter: Prince George is likely to become King George VII in time.Clarence House categorically denied rumours Charles would call himself King George

This is an interesting tweet.  I've always thought Charles would be Charles III and it looks like he plans to be! 

@LIMABEANY - if you don't like George, that is your prerogative.  I do like it because it is not a trendy name, but a classic "real" name.  And it is royal.  But each to her own.

Limabeany

:shrug: You seem to be taking issue with my opinion. Not a problem.

I read somewhere that Charles had been considering George.

Queen Camilla

He was probably named for his royal family.

George Alexander Louis

Grandfather: Charles Phillip Arthur George 
Father: William Arthur Phillip Louis
Great grandmother: Elizabeth Alexandra Mary

Alexander could be one of Phillip's names.  It is Greek & he was from the Greek/Danish royal family. 

Omotola

"This is a way for both me and Prince Seeiso to relate to our mothers who both worked with orphaned children."Prince Harry

Limabeany

Quote from: Queen Camilla on July 25, 2013, 01:44:35 AM

George Alexander Louis

Alexander could be one of Phillip's names.  It is Greek & he was from the Greek/Danish royal family.

I like the way you think.   :blowkiss:

good221

That name is too old for a child I would have prefer Arthur but this is their choice. I have a feeling the next time we see the baby is when he turn 1 years old with lot of  hair because I highly doubt the Middleton will allow the press  near their new trophy.  I will  have to agree with the press and rumor on George life it's will be very  different from William, with William the media were able to capture every moment with George it will high be limited. his life will extremely private and overly protect. William don't like the press all else  he want to use them for his gain and the Middleton will prefer their favorite  future grand son king life be more than ordinary even though they claim it would not be that, BUT  who are we kidding George IS  more likely to listen to carol and Michael than Charles. so I approve these rumor and I cannot wait to see how this all play out. :orchid:

Mike

Mark Twain:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
and
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."

Macrobug

Quote from: Honesty on July 25, 2013, 01:06:41 AM
We have a capital city in northern British Columbia named Prince George.  They have been inundated with newspapers from all around for details on the city.  Folks here are not too sure how the city got it's name.  Was it George 3, was it Prince George born in 1915 ? when the town incorporated or was it named after his son Prince George of Kent ?.

Anyway, Canadians are celebrating in the city and are thrilled.
I always get Prince Rupert and Prince George mixed up, even though I have been to both  :girlblush: .  I wonder if there may be a royal visit to Prince George some day. 
GNU Terry Pratchett

KaTerina Montague

I can't believe the people saying Geoege is too old then Start pulling out archaic names like Arthur. The baby was always going to have a boring British name, this is the best of a group of boring names for him. They could have named him Charles, Phillip, Edward, or Henry. That GAWD they went for something modern at least compared with the alternatives. The first born has a limited number of names he can have, the best that could have been hoped for is James or George.

PaulaB

Quote from: good221 on July 25, 2013, 02:37:24 AM
That name is too old for a child I would have prefer Arthur but this is their choice. I have a feeling the next time we see the baby is when he turn 1 years old with lot of  hair because I highly doubt the Middleton will allow the press  near their new trophy.  I will  have to agree with the press and rumor on George life it's will be very  different from William, with William the media were able to capture every moment with George it will high be limited. his life will extremely private and overly protect. William don't like the press all else  he want to use them for his gain and the Middleton will prefer their favorite  future grand son king life be more than ordinary even though they claim it would not be that, BUT  who are we kidding George IS  more likely to listen to carol and Michael than Charles. so I approve these rumor and I cannot wait to see how this all play out. :orchid:
I hope we  don't get to see the baby much at all.  He may be a member of the royal family but to expect a baby to be on view is selfish.  Let him be a baby in piece and quiet.

Honesty

I totally agree with you PaulaB.  The kids should be able to enjoy life without being chased for photos.

memememe

Quote from: Queen Camilla on July 25, 2013, 01:44:35 AM

George Alexander Louis

It is not one of Philip's names because Philip is that rare royal - he only has one name - Philip.  That is it. Short and simple.

Double post auto-merged: July 25, 2013, 06:49:28 AM

George - seems obviously from George VI and George V - the Queen's father and grandfather - but is also the Earl of St Andrew's name - heir to the Duke of Kent.

Alexander - male form of Alexandra, the Queen's middle name - as well as the second name of Philip's grandfather - Louis Alexander of Battenburg - and the name of the heir to the Duke of Gloucester - the Earl of Ulster.

Louis - obviously to do with Lord Louis Mountbatten besides being one of Wiliam's names and a regular name in the Mountbatten family - as well is the name of the heir to the Spencer title.

George and Alexander are also names of Spencer cousins - from Diana's sisters.

corydora

We sure were right on target about the names, just as you all knew it would be the Duke of Cambridge on the wedding day.

I'm not fond of George either, but then I didn't like William for a baby name. Now I'm used to it. They seemed to have left Charles out entirely. They could've given the baby Charles as his 4th name. Or Phillip. I was hoping for Alexander and I like Louis. Arthur needs to be retired. George is a nice nod to the Queen's father who served so bravely during the War. It is also like the name of my state, Georgia, named after King George.

I may as well begin getting used to it.
Recycle yourself - Be an Organ Donor

cinrit

Quote from: Honesty on July 25, 2013, 01:06:41 AM

One of the counties right across the Washington, D.C., line is Prince George's County, so "Prince George" sounds natural to me.  I'm not crazy about the name, but I don't dislike it, either. 

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Sandor

Quote from: missbliss on July 24, 2013, 07:56:41 PM
By the way, apparently George was the 12th most popular boy's name in the UK in 2011.  So it's not so "old-fashioned" after all! :)

I've read that it moved up to 6th for 2012;  how much do you want to bet that it'll be even more popular in 2013?

(And names do cycle in and out of fashion: my grandmother and her sisters all had names that are currently gaining popularity:  Matilda, Lillian, Julia, Anne).

The name doesn't surprise me, since I was sure they'd choose something traditional and George is just about the only choice not currently in use in the immediate family.

Alexander is a nod to the Scots, imo, since it was the name of some of their most popular kings.

Louis might even be their concession to trendy (since Viscount Althorp and one of Edwward Van Cutsem's sons also share that name;  I guess it is popular in those circles).

Jmax2

Quote from: memememe on July 25, 2013, 06:43:33 AMas well is the name of the heir to the Spencer title.

George and Alexander are also names of Spencer cousins - from Diana's sisters.

Actually, the order of the names, George Alexander Louis, could be argued to honor Diana's siblings who are in order of age, Sarah -mother of George, Jane - mother of Alexander, and Charles - father of Louis.

But then again, William is a royal and the son of a man who married a woman he never loved because she provided suitable breeding and grandson of a woman who's only public tears were for the loss of a boat.  As much as I hate to admit it, it is more than possible that he never even considered any Spencer (and certainly no Middleton) connection.  That does seem to be the general consensus at least.  Vicki Arbiter suggested that the only possible Spencer connection was to the second Earl, and that this wouldn't have been a reason behind the choice of names. 

If so, it just confirms my belief that the Windsors are a family of vultures.  How insensitive can one family be?
The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking places.  ~Author Unknown