The Queen reveals what she really thought about Princess Margaret's love life

Started by Kritter, February 26, 2018, 11:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kritter

The Queen reveals what she really thought about Princess Margaret's love life - Mirror Online

QuoteThe Queen thanked one of Princess Margaret ?s best friends for introducing her to Roddy Llewellyn - the man she had an affair with.

Her Majesty also described the episode in Margaret?s love life as ?rather difficult at moments?, a new documentary has revealed.

Margaret?s friend Lady Anne Glenconner told Channel 5 documentary Elizabeth: Our Queen: ?It was difficult for the Queen and I felt rather guilty always having introduced Roddy to Princess Margaret.

?But after Princess Margaret?s funeral, the Queen, she said, ?I?d just like to say Anne, it was rather difficult at moments, but I thank you so much introducing Princess Margaret to Roddy ?cause he made her really happy?.?

Curryong

I'm sure Roddy did make Margaret happy for a short time at least. However, like her mother Margaret was rather attracted to sensitive men who were in touch with their feminine side, if I can put it like that. Sensitive types may not have been her ideal match.

In addition, in this case Roddy seems to have been a bit highly strung, and all the publicity and Margot continuing to be high maintenance got too much for him. I believe he had a nervous breakdown and the relationship ended. I think he's been married for years now and has daughters.

Kritter

Queen Elizabeth annoyed by this when she met Wallis Simpson and the Duke of Windsor | Life | Life & Style | Express.co.uk

QuoteQUEEN ELIZABETH II was 45-years-old in 1972 when she visited Paris on official duty. However, while the Queen was in the French capital she visited her dying uncle, Edward, Duke of Windsor, and his wife Wallace Simpson. The occasions was marked by one event that ?annoyed? her majesty, according to one royal historian.

Mods could we change the title of this thread to Elizabeth: Our Queen?    :thanks:

royalanthropologist

Many people would rather see their relatives having an affair than remain in unhappy relationship. It seems the queen is the same. At the very least, she is not judgmental about other people's private lives and kudos to her for that. Margaret was in a bad marriage and if an affair gave her relief, so be it.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Kritter

Queen Elizabeth May Have Approved of Princess Margaret's Affair | PEOPLE.com

QuoteAs evident in The Crown, Princess Margaret?s love life provided the royal family with more scandals than they could handle.

After her ill-fated love affair with Group Cast. Peter Townsend, whose previous divorce was frowned upon by Queen Elizabeth and the Church of England, Margaret surprised everyone when she married society photographer Antony Armstrong-Jones in 1960 after a whirlwind romance.

Their wild marriage was full of ups and downs ( even while they planned their engagement, the groom-to-be was still conducting another affair). Both Margaret and Armstrong-Jones, who became Lord Snowdon after they wed, were unfaithful during the course of their unconventional marriage, which ended in divorce in 1978, and now it seems big sister, Queen Elizabeth, may have approved of at least one of Margaret?s affairs.

amabel

Quote from: royalanthropologist on March 01, 2018, 09:19:38 AM
Many people would rather see their relatives having an affair than remain in unhappy relationship. It seems the queen is the same. At the very least, she is not judgmental about other people's private lives and kudos to her for that. Margaret was in a bad marriage and if an affair gave her relief, so be it.
I soudl say she knew she couldn't stop Margo behaving as she did, and Snowdon was sleeping around too.  I don't tink she approved but I think she liked Roddy L, and hoped it would keep Margaret happy beign with him and that would keep her quiet.  But I don't believe the affair was serious on Roddy's side and it didn't last...

Kritter

The Queen - Monarch cried over feud with Margaret Thatcher according to Princess Margaret | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

QuotePrincess Margaret made the shock confession after her sister, Queen Elizabeth, had a row with the former prime minister.

The shock documentary tells how Mrs Thatcher was so nervous of the monarch that she would down whiskey in Buckingham Palace to de-stress after their weekly meetings.

Princess Josephine Loewenstein told Channel 5 documentary, 'Elizabeth: Our Queen' how Princess Margaret told her: ?I?ve only seen my sister cry once.

?It was when the Press put all the articles about her not getting on with Margaret Thatcher,? according to the Sun.