William-United for Wildlife,Tusk Trust and the Enviornment Patronages/Charities/

Started by karla64, June 19, 2012, 06:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuotePrince William Teams Up with Angry Birds to Raise Wildlife Conservation Awareness

Even Prince William has a favorite app.

As president of United for Wildlife, the royal is teaming up with the highly-addictive video game Angry Birds to host a special tournament to raise awareness about the evils of poaching, with a specific focus on the endangered pangolin.

Called "Roll with the Pangolins," the challenge adds animated versions of the animals, who are hunted for their meat and scales throughout Asia and Africa, to the popular game.
"Roll with the Pangolins" begins Monday and lasts a week. To play, visit the Angry Bird Friends website here.

More: http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20395222_20873119,00.html

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

cinrit

Animals that have already gone extinct in our lifetime include Javan Tiger (1979), Pyrenean Ibex (2000), Zanzibar Leopard (1996), Spix's Macaw (2004), and several others.

Cindy

Double post auto-merged: November 17, 2014, 01:11:04 PM

QuotePrince William Plays Angry Birds to Save Endangered Mammal

United for Wildlife, a collaboration of seven international conservation organisations convened by The Duke of Cambridge, has teamed up with the Angry Birds Friends game to raise awareness of the critical threat to wildlife posed by illegal poaching.

Rovio Entertainment, the makers of Angry Birds, have created a week-long tournament which will run from 17th November featuring animated Pangolins – a species of scaly ant-eaters living in Asia and Africa which are now one of the most critically endangered animals on the planet due to illegal hunting.

To launch the tournament, Prince William has tried his hand at the infamous game.

His Royal Highness said: "By spreading the message about poaching, I hope you can be part of a movement that says no to poached ivory and rhino horn, and many other animal parts.

Cindy

TLLK

Quote from: Canuck on November 17, 2014, 02:43:59 AM
It's neat to see Will partnering with various games and using social media, sports stars, etc. To promote United for Wildlife.  He seems to understand the need to get young people interested in the cause, and I think he's taking the right steps to try to draw them into this cause.
I agree that those involved with developing the new game for Angry Birds know that they need to target the younger generation with information about illegal wildlife poaching. Hopefully by educating them there will be a reduction in potential buyers of these items.

Rebound

If William had said "our lifetime" he would have been called out because we are all different ages. He cannot win with some people.

We all should be concerned about the depletion of the earth's resources, as mentioned about the rain forests (in Charles' thread) and endangered animals. Ecological balance is something we should be aiming for.

Anybody know where the announcement was filmed? I love that model on the desk in the background!

Canuck

I just don't think "our lifetime" would have made sense, because he wasn't talking to a specific person/group of people, so it wouldn't have been clear what that meant.  If he was speaking to, for example, a group of high school students, then I could see that phrasing.  But when your audience could include 12 year olds and 60 year olds, "our lifetime" doesn't really have any meaning.

Limabeany

Oh, for heaven's sake, if he would have, they would have... He cannot win with some people, the passive aggressive jives, every time... He has been criticized for what he did, not what he would have, when he does what he would have, according to you, then we shall see if he will be criticized, can't his actions be defended on what he did? Our lifetime, our children, all of that would have made perfect sense... My has no meaning because his desires are not what is important, it is what is good for everyone, not William. The message is not about William.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Macrobug

If it isn't about William then why the focus on one little word he used.  The overall message of awareness of animal extension has not been lost whether he used the word my or yours or ours. 

It would seem that instead of focusing on the message and cause, this has turned into another debate about William. 

Personally....I am heading over to my  iphone and playing a few rounds of Roll with The Pangolins because the more people playing, the more money comes in , the more awareness.  Which is the point of all of this.

http://friends.angrybirds.com/
GNU Terry Pratchett

TLLK

Quote from: Rebound on November 17, 2014, 06:18:50 PM
If William had said "our lifetime" he would have been called out because we are all different ages. He cannot win with some people.

We all should be concerned about the depletion of the earth's resources, as mentioned about the rain forests (in Charles' thread) and endangered animals. Ecological balance is something we should be aiming for.

Anybody know where the announcement was filmed? I love that model on the desk in the background!
I read on another site that it is from Lord Linley's collection. Apparently it is a model of Horse Guard's Parade Grounds.

TLLK

^^^Thank you @cate1949  for sharing the link!!!! IMHO this video explains the need so clearly for all the species of animals and how they impact other populations and the physical environment. Enjoy the spectacular scenery that is featured throughout and without any hesitation I would invite those who have not experienced this great park to visit it.

This video even caught my sleeping cat's attention. Nothing like the sound of a wolf's howl to awaken a napping cat. :P

TLLK

IMO it reinforces the message that some of these animals have a real chance of being extinct in the wild in the next 50 years or so if a new generation is not educated about the issue. :no:

wannable

Cute, I love angry birds, great marketing tool for the charity, well done.

TLLK

Quote from: cinrit on November 17, 2014, 08:34:42 PM
Quote from: Limabeany on November 17, 2014, 08:22:49 PM
Excluding his audience by saying "his lifetime" only reinforces that it is HIS project. He is probably not used to making things about other people instead of himself.   

IMO, it's not so much a matter of his excluding his audience.  He simply personalized his appeal.  Bottom-line, it's about the endangered animals, and that's what he wants people to focus on.

Cindy
:goodpost: And for those of us who are old enough to recall 1982 as adults it is a stark reminder that our children and grandchildren face a possible future where these animals can only safely live in zoos.

cinrit

Quote from: TLLK on November 17, 2014, 09:33:29 PM
:goodpost: And for those of us who are old enough to recall 1982 as adults it is a stark reminder that our children and grandchildren face a possible future where these animals can only safely live in zoos. 

Sadly, that's all too true, TLLK. :(

Cindy

cinrit

United for Wildlife is the first conservation organization that William has set up, but he's been patron of Tusk Trust since 2005.  So I wouldn't think he's only now caring enough to take action.  From Tusk Trust's website:

QuoteLike his father The Prince of Wales and his grandfather The Duke of Edinburgh, The Duke of Cambridge has a passion for conservation.

The Duke of Cambridge has been the Royal Patron of Tusk since 2005 and has been a powerful advocate for Tusk's work to support conservation, education and community development across Africa ever since.

As Chief Executive of Tusk, Charlie Mayhew has seen The Duke's commitment to conservation first-hand, "the Duke shares our philosophy that the future of Africa's unique wildlife relies heavily on our ability to successfully link the livelihoods of the local people with the benefits of preserving their natural heritage."

More: http://www.tuskusa.com/royal-patron

Cindy

cinrit

(Not sure if this belongs here or in the trip to U.S. thread.  Please move if necessary ... thanks.)

QuoteThe Duke of Cambridge and World Bank Group President Jim Yong Kim to Open the Third Meeting of the World Bank's International Corruption Hunters Alliance

The World Bank Group will host the third Biennial Meeting of the International Corruption Hunters Alliance (ICHA 2014) between December 8- 10, 2014 at its headquarters in Washington, D.C.  As part of his work as United for Wildlife President, the Duke of Cambridge will join World Bank Group President, Jim Yong Kim at the opening session to address more than 300 corruption experts, heads and senior members of anti-corruption and prosecuting agencies; and representatives of international organizations from more than 120 countries.

Recognizing corruption as a critical development priority, the World Bank Group's International Corruption Hunters Alliance aims at working with national authorities to strengthen their investigative capabilities and enhance prosecution particularly relating to transnational corruption.

ICHA 2014's theme is "Ending Impunity: Global Knowledge: Local Impact."   During the 3-day program, participants will be encouraged to follow the money trail and identify innovative tools to tackle corruption cases within and beyond borders.  More than 20 sessions will focus on a range of topics to help in this global effort: Illicit financial flows, transnational bribery, new financial investigative techniques, corruption prevention, collective action with the private sector and wildlife crime, among others.

More: The Duke of Cambridge and World Bank Group President Jim Yong Kim to Open the Third Meeting of the World Bank?s International Corruption Hunters

Cindy

Jenee

Quote from: HistoryGirl on October 26, 2014, 01:23:44 PM
I've always found this an interesting topic. The human effect on wildlife is at times frightening, but also opens up questions about the desire for humans to dominate.

I agree. Is there something special about ivory, other than the fact that in order to obtain it, you have to destroy a huge mammal? No, there isn't. 🐘
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Macrobug

DLA Piper report on regulation of wildlife trade | Royal Foundation

QuoteAs part of the firm's pro bono programme, global law firm DLA Piper has produced a report for The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry: "Empty Threat: Does the Law Combat Illegal Wildlife Trade?" on behalf of the United for Wildlife partnership. The report which was presented on the 12th February by DLA Piper Partners Michael Lebovitz and Alex Monk at the International Wildlife Trafficking Symposium, an event attended by The Duke of Cambridge, hosted by the Zoological Society of London

Was this posted before?  I don't remember it being discussed.  One of those "secret" events?
GNU Terry Pratchett

Canuck

I hadn't heard of it before, but I found this write-up from one of the lawyers who worked on the project:

QuoteMike and another DLA Piper colleague, Finance & Projects Partner Alexander Monk, successfully presented the summary report at the ZSL Symposium. Heidi and I had the great honour of being invited to a briefing with United for Wildlife, followed by a private meeting with the Duke of Cambridge. We met many representatives from important conservation organisations at this function, all of whom were extremely impressed by the work that had been produced by our firm. The Duke thanked us personally for our work on the report and was pleased to hear that we would be working with the Royal Foundation on how the report's findings might be used to implement practical solutions.

DLA Piper Pro Bono - Illegal Wildlife Trade - Pro Bono with the Royal Foundation

She says this was from 2014, so that would be the conference in London that we knew about.  I didn't know about these behind-the-scenes meetings, though -- just goes to show that there's a lot of work behind the scenes that we don't see!

Macrobug

Interesting.  Answers my question if it was 2014 or this year.  It shows though that there is activity behind the scenes that we are not privy to until it is announced.

I am not a lawyer but I think I would have been very interested in researching that project.
GNU Terry Pratchett

TLLK

Quote from: Canuck on March 27, 2015, 07:00:55 PM
I hadn't heard of it before, but I found this write-up from one of the lawyers who worked on the project:

QuoteMike and another DLA Piper colleague, Finance & Projects Partner Alexander Monk, successfully presented the summary report at the ZSL Symposium. Heidi and I had the great honour of being invited to a briefing with United for Wildlife, followed by a private meeting with the Duke of Cambridge. We met many representatives from important conservation organisations at this function, all of whom were extremely impressed by the work that had been produced by our firm. The Duke thanked us personally for our work on the report and was pleased to hear that we would be working with the Royal Foundation on how the report's findings might be used to implement practical solutions.

DLA Piper Pro Bono - Illegal Wildlife Trade - Pro Bono with the Royal Foundation

She says this was from 2014, so that would be the conference in London that we knew about.  I didn't know about these behind-the-scenes meetings, though -- just goes to show that there's a lot of work behind the scenes that we don't see!
Behind the scenes work that happens in every royal house IMHO.

TLLK

Hoping that United for Wildlife will be able to work upon meeting their goals:1. Providing better on site protection for the animals. 2. Reduce the demand for wildlife products (medicinal, art)3. Reduce the trafficking of illegal wildlife trade. 4. Improve law enforcement in areas where animals are targeted.

Macrobug

QuoteThe Duke of Cambridge joins those other giants of the environment movement, Sir David Attenborough and Dame Jane Goodall, as the leading Britons preventing many of our iconic creatures slipping into oblivion.

Other names on the Wildlife Power List published tomorrow are Springwatch presenter Chris Packham, Green MP Caroline Lucas as well a host of politicians, scientists, authors, bloggers and campaigners.

Prince William is named a conservation hero for his work to save endangered species | Nature | News | Daily Express
GNU Terry Pratchett

TLLK

Quote from: Macrobug on May 12, 2015, 11:35:16 PM
QuoteThe Duke of Cambridge joins those other giants of the environment movement, Sir David Attenborough and Dame Jane Goodall, as the leading Britons preventing many of our iconic creatures slipping into oblivion.

Other names on the Wildlife Power List published tomorrow are Springwatch presenter Chris Packham, Green MP Caroline Lucas as well a host of politicians, scientists, authors, bloggers and campaigners.

Prince William is named a conservation hero for his work to save endangered species | Nature | News | Daily Express
Wasn't this a separate thread or am I seeing things? I could have sworn that this was posted just the other day on its own?

TLLK

Duke of Cambridge will attend a dinner at Windsor Castle to honor Tusk Trust's 25th anniversary.