The quarterly and annual royal tallies 2019 to the present

Started by TLLK, May 28, 2019, 04:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

:snowflake: Ending the year with Tim O' Donovan's tally for 2020. (Column E is the total for domestic engagements and Column F is for overseas ones. Add the two together for his final number for each member.) He did have columns for in-person and video/phone events.

https://twitter.com/MajestyMagazine/status/1344946442029379584/photo/ (Click on link to view tally.)

By the numbers: QEII-133, PoW-271, DssoC-120, DoCam-153, DssoCam-108, EoW-129, CoW-154, PR0--233, DoG-80, DssoG-48, DoK-68, PA-13.

Curryong

Mr O'Donovan's tally is as always as regular as clockwork. I wonder whether he has found a volunteer deputy yet among his  younger friends and relatives as he will hardly be able to carry on for too much longer? As usual Charles and Anne lead the pack but the Queen has gamely kept up many of her engagements, via zoom etc.

TLLK

Something seems off about the Cambridge's "F" or "foreign" travel numbers. The only overseas trip they took in 2020 was to the Republic of Ireland and I'm sure that they did more than four engagements there. Just from doing a quick review,  I believe that it was closer to ten for March 3, 4, 5 2020.

Here's the link to the CC for the Cambridges' two day trip to Ireland. (I doubt Mr. O'Donovan considers "departures and arrivals from Heathrow" as part of the activities.)

Court Circular | The Royal Family

Curryong

It certainly looks to be about eight engagements in Ireland at least.

Does the old boy use official online information about the royals schedules, via such websites as you have linked above, or simply rely on the printed versions via the Times and as a backup the Morning Post, I wonder? On the big forum the poster who collates the RF numbers throughout the year has complained in the past about missing dates and quite long delays at times in the recording of Royal engagements in both the printed form and online. She has to check them both at times as a check. I'm just wondering if Tim O'Donovan is perhaps a bit wary of computers, natural at his age, maybe he's relied just on The Times and that's where it's become unstuck.

TLLK

@Curryong-I believe that he like many who keep their tallies use the printed version and that includes the one poster at the big forum. That poster certainly has a right to complain about the online CC especially this year. I looked at her tally and she noted when 20 plus engagements would be missing because a day had not been noted. As we know this is not a one off for 2020 as this problem has been going on for years. I'm imagining some poor staff member tasked with maintaining the online CC is housed in a "cupboard under the stairs" handed an ancient laptop with dial up Internet.  :teehee:

So the DM posted an online article today with their tally based solely on the online version. Now there are minor discrepancies between Mr. O'Donovan's tally and the others but the DM's is WAAAY off this year. It claims that the Queen only carried out 115 engagements, so that's off by around 25.  Anne's total was only 207 which is off by around 23. Then they claim that Sophie had a total of 78 and Catherine a total of 68 engagements for 2020 which is off by over 50 for each lady. Mind you it's not the DM's fault that their information is inaccurate because the online version has been neglected. I'd love to see the poster at the big forum whip that online version into shape!

Queen and Prince William carried out almost half of their engagements virtually in 2020 | Daily Mail Online

Curryong

Considering the Daily Fail regularly calls the Queen Her Royal Highness on its online version of the DM, along with all the other lies, evasions, stupidities and errors that rag perpetrates, I'm not at all surprised that their tally for 2020 Royal engagements is seriously off kilter.

However, I'm surprised at BP, considering how many people it employs as so called communications officers within its ranks, being so neglectful of the online CC. It seems as though Mr O'Donovan just made an error with regard to Ireland then. I think the old boy really needs an assistant.

wannable

PrincessOfPeace

I keep tract of my own numbers and the Cambridges numbers aren't  acturate Dozens of engagements missing. It's a shame

TLLK

@PrincessOfPeace - I would love to see your tally if you don't mind sharing it. :)
BTW did you keep track of any other member(s) of the BRF? If you did, were there discrepancies with the others numbers as well? I expect that there will be some minor ones between Tim O'Donovan's, the poster on the Big Forum, Write Royally etc.. However since I believe that they rely upon the printed version of the CC, there shouldn't be too big a gap Plus or Minus.

Gert's Royals has kept track of the Cambridges' engagements since 2017 but the tally is only updated to November 2020.
Here's William's up to Nov. 2020 count. Gert's Royals: Prince William - Official Engagements (2020)

Catherine's Gert's Royals count is only tallied up to August 2020. Gert's Royals: Duchess Kate - Official Engagements 2020

Someone needs to take over the online CC ASAP. The poster on the Big Forum keeps note of how many days are missing from the online CC when compared to the printed CC and it's pitiful.  :notamused:

TLLK

The 2021 Quarterly Round Up for Official British Engagements   :happyuk: :crown:

First Quarter: January 1- March 26, 2021-(Note-The COVID 19 global pandemic continues to impact all royal engagements in 2021 with many official engagements being conducted virtually or by telephone. There are the occasional in-person visits during the the first quarter of the year. The PoW and Duchess of Cornwall undertake the first official overseas visit of the year on an official visit to Greece to celebrate the nation's bicentennial.)

Numbers are based on the engagement tally at the big royal forum.

QEII-28, PoW-55, DssoC-24, DoCam-97, DssoCam-33, EoW-56, CssoW-32, PssR-47, DoG-16, DssoG-6, DoK-6, PssA-0

PrincessOfPeace

TLLK

@PrincessOfPeace - I agree especially since most engagements are still occurring at a distance, travel is still monitored in some areas and overseas/incoming trips are likely to be limited throughout 2021. This applies to all of the reigining royal families around the globe. Also the various charities and patronages who would have normally seen at least one in-person visit from their patron, might not be able to hold the events their patron would have attended ie: workshops, fundraising activities etc...

TLLK

:yipee: It's the end of the second quarter now for the BRF engagements with a mix of virtual and in-person engagements.  Late July through August tends to be a slow time of the year for most royal families and the BRF are no exception. Sadly we're not seeing the number of royals including members of the BRF at the Tokyo Olympics that we would have seen in past years

Here's the current numbers which are from the list on the big royal forum.

Queen-123, PoW-193, DssoC-92, DoCam-176, DssoCam-79, EoW-119, CssoW-84, PR-218, CmdrTL-14, DoG-29, DssoG-22, DoK-37, PssA-5.

Earning the gold medal for the most engagements for this quarter is the Princess Royal.

TLLK

It's that time of the year when the annual royal tallies for the BRF and the accompanying articles begin to appear. The New Zealand Herald's Daniella Elser gives her opinion  on the BRF's engagements for 2021 mostly focusing upon the PoW, PR, and the Cambridges.

Daniela Elser: Why William and Kate are the most expensive royals - NZ Herald

QuoteWhat can $2.53 get you? Turns out, a Twix multipack, one and a half packets of Tesco Liquorice Allsorts or a working monarchy.

In the scheme of things, $2.53 is, literally, loose change but that figure also happens to represent how much the royal family "costs' each Briton, every year.

And while we have pondered a number of vexing questions about the royal family this year ? are they racist? Cruel? Will the whole ermine-trimmed dog-and-pony show survive the passing of the Queen or come toppling down in a Real Housewives-esque blaze of ignominy and tawdriness? ? one which has been largely overlooked is, are they good value?

Today we have an answer, sort of, to that ? one that is excellent news if you are a Princess Anne-phile and pretty dismal if you happen to be firmly in the pro-Kate, Duchess of Cambridge camp.

See, the official work statistics for the year have started to come out, that is, how many official engagements each of the remaining working members of the royal house have undertaken in 2021.

(Obviously the final figures won't come out until later in the month when we are all thoroughly sick of turkey leftovers and the tinsel has started to sag but nor are they likely to change much.)

Personally I have come to believe  that the royals with the largest number of patronages/charities/ honorary military appointments tend to have the highest number of engagements. Mostly based upon reading the Court Circular entries which often share among the entry details: date, place, type of event,  that the royal visiting an event is the Patron/President/Honorary (military rank),   And after decades of official royal duties, it doesn't surprise me that the Queen,  the PoW, and Princess Royal have routinely higher numbers than younger members of the family.  :shrug:

TLLK

It's a little early for Mr. O'Donovan's annual tally but here's the final numbers from the dedicated member at the Big Royal Forum. The poster did point out that if a family member's only appearance was the DoE's funeral ie: Andrew, Harry, Beatrice, Eugenie, Louise, James etc... then it was not included in the tally.

It should be noted that each person that compiles a royal engagement tally does have their own methodology however nearly all use the more reliable  :thumbsup: PRINTED Court Circular over the less reliable online version.  <_<

In order from the greatest number to the least.

HRH The Princess Royal  404
HRH The Prince of Wales  392
HRH The Duke of Cambridge  232
HRH The Earl of Wessex  214
HM The Queen  191
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall 184
HRH The Countess of Wessex  156
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge  117
HRH The Duke of Gloucester  112
HRH The Duke of Kent 81
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester  62
Vice-Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence  35
HRH Princess Alexandra, Lady Ogilvy  31
HRH Prince Michael of Kent 1

TLLK

Here's the Daily Mail's 2021 tally which strangely only covers five of the twelve working members. :blank:  The article taking care to note which were "in-person" and "virtual" engagements. (Note-I cannot find the source of their information and this is the most in-depth tally article that I've ever seen from the DM. Finally why didn't they include the Princess Royal, Earl of Wessex and the Duchess of Cornwall in their analysis???  I understand why they might have missed the cousins and Timothy Laurence, but the Queen's daughter? youngest son? the future consort??? :blink:)

Royal engagements for 2021 revealed | Daily Mail Online

QuoteThe Queen carried out 118 of her 192 engagements virtually, as the pandemic made meeting wellwishers risky
     Analysis of 5 royals revealed Prince William, 39, managed to attend 108 of his 223 appearance in person
    Charles, 73, had the most royal duties to perform with 335 to attend, of which he managed to 227 in person
    Sophie Wessex, attended 92 of her 144 engagements in the flesh, completing the rest virtually
     Kate Middleton appeared at 84 of her 119 engagements, last year she had 133 engagements
    Hard-working royal Princess Anne followed closely behind Prince Charles with 284 engagements
    Charles was the most visible, while the the Duchess of Cornwall came in second place, carrying out 146 out of 157 engagements in person, leaving the Duke of Cambridge third with 108 personal appearances

TLLK

Has anyone found a copy of Mr. O'Donovan's 2021 tally?

PrincessOfPeace

I can't find it in The Times. Will keep an eye opened for it.

TLLK

I have to wonder if Mr. O' Donovan will ever release another tally as he never shared the 2021 information.

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on October 29, 2022, 02:11:51 PM
I have to wonder if Mr. O' Donovan will ever release another tally as he never shared the 2021 information.

Didn?t Mr O? Donavon (who is over 90 years old) say he would love someone to take over his work a couple of years ago? I?m sure I read it somewhere. It was a lovely annual tradition but it looks as if he has given the hobby up and no-one else has stepped into his place,  which is a shame iMO.

TLLK

Hmmm...I believe that both you and I are familiar with an excellent replacement. Now if only that person from the big forum could be placed in contact with Mr. O'Donovan.

Curryong

Guess what I have found elsewhere, Tim O'Donovan's annual breakdown from The Times

Royals cut back on visits | News | The Times

Curryong

Quote from: Curryong on January 01, 2023, 05:29:36 AM
Guess what I have found elsewhere, Tim O'Donovan's annual breakdown from The Times

The King?s vision of a ?slimmed-down monarchy? is already taking shape as members of the royal family undertook almost 30 per cent fewer engagements in 2022 than before the pandemic.
The total, compiled annually for The Times by a reader, Tim O?Donovan, since 1979, was 2,601. Other than in 2020 and last year, when lockdowns were enforced, it was the fewest since 1983.
The Duke of York, who ceased royal duties after a disastrous interview with the BBC in 2019, carried out 274 engagements that year and in previous years had performed up to 600. Prince Andrew was suspended from duties four days after the interview and resigned from all roles in May 2020.
NEWS
Most active royals
Total engagements in 2022
King Charles
Princess Royal
Countess of Wessex
Earl of Wessex
Queen Consort
Prince of Wales
Duke of Gloucester
Princess of Wales
Queen Elizabeth
Duchess of Gloucester
Duke of Kent
Princess Alexandra
Duke of Sussex
Duchess of Sussex
Prince Andrew, Duke of York
Chart: The Times and The Sunday Times

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on January 01, 2023, 05:29:36 AM

Yay!! I had been concerned when he didn't release a tally  in 2021 and thought that he might not ever do another one.

Now while O'Donovan and the poster at TRF use thr Court Circular as their source of information,  they have different totals again.

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on January 01, 2023, 12:51:31 PM
Yay!! I had been concerned when he didn't release a tally  in 2021 and thought that he might not ever do another one.

Now while O'Donovan and the poster at TRF use thr Court Circular as their source of information,  they have different totals again.

Do they? Interesting, I must take another look. Of course it?s possible that whoever is helping Mr O?Donavon (and he must be having some help surely at his age) has made a mistake or two due to being new to the job, but perhaps the TFF poster left off a couple of engagements by members of the family after the late Queen?s death that were classed as private at first  but then later turned up in the CC and she missed them? I don?t suppose it matters too much in the scheme of things.