Why was Camilla added to the Privy Council?

Started by LouisFerdinand, September 10, 2016, 11:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

The Duchess of Cornwall was added to the Privy Council.   
                    The Queen elevated Camilla to advisory body, the Privy Council | Royal | News | Daily Express...

Duch_Luver_4ever

Insert giant eye roll here...seems like this from the article "Ever since Charles and Camilla announced their engagement in 2005, courtiers have privately suggested Charles would like her to become his Queen.

Publicly Clarence House has insisted she had no desire for the role and wanted to be known as "Princess Consort" This was because of the respect in which her predecessor Princess Diana was held and the controversy over her affair with Charles.  "

is not going to be honored. Such a shame the Queen is doing Charles dirty work of making her transition to Queen Consort easier. Wish we could bring Ed VIII and Wallis back from the dead to get their viewpoint on this, they must be spinning. Seems in her final years shes counting on the fact people either remember or care less about it, and undoing all the goodwill of trying to erase the "stain" of the abdication crisis and that the windsors would rededicate themselves to duty.

Since her 90th b-day she figures her story of being ever dutiful has been written and she can now do what she likes, the press will want to stay on Charles good side post coronation.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Trudie

Apparently no one has read the comments not one of them is favorable. I wouldn't be surprised if Charles is badgering his mother to elevate Camilla given the high esteem the Queen is held to Charles if it is seen the Queen approves the public will too. Wrong again read the comments below the article.

TLLK

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on September 10, 2016, 11:16:06 PM
                   The Duchess of Cornwall was added to the Privy Council.   
                    The Queen elevated Camilla to advisory body, the Privy Council | Royal | News | Daily Express...

List of Royal members of the Privy Council - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMHO the addition of William and Camilla to the Privy Council has more to do with preparation and ensuring a smooth transition from one reign to the next rather than a "signal" that Camilla will have the title of Queen.

Above I've added  additional information as to current and past royal members of the Privy Council which at the present includes the DoE as the monarch's consort. Prince Albert served on Victoria's Privy Council. After WWII,  The Queen was added to the Privy Council during her father's reign as his heir as was her husband Phillip. It appears that the addition of female members was accepted as a new norm during this time.

IMHO the addition of the Duke of Cambridge (Charles' heir) and the Duchess of Cornwall is to be expected considering that the Duke of Edinburgh is elderly and William and Camilla will play significant roles during the transition from one reign to the next.  No matter which title is given to Camilla upon Charles' ascension, as consort it is not unexpected that she  would be a member of the Privy Council. Other European monarchies have similar arrangements.  Had Charles and Diana remained married, I do believe that she would have been appointed due to her position as the consort to the future monarch. 

lapalooza

It means she will stand on PC side when Queen dies. The question is when she dies. It can be a year, it can be next 10-15 years. BTW there is an article about preparations for Charles as a king  :Jen:

wannable

Of course she will be Queen Consort. And it's plain logical to add her in the privy council.

Prince Charles and her shan't walk on eggs at this age and day 21st century. Yesteryears of divorce and remarriage scandal, today is like breathing.

Other Royal monarchies have divorced and remarried women with child et all from a first marriage.

Duch_Luver_4ever

From the linked article in the OP

Publicly Clarence House has insisted she had no desire for the role and wanted to be known as “Princess Consort” This was because of the respect in which her predecessor Princess Diana was held and the controversy over her affair with Charles.  "
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

Quote from: wannable on September 11, 2016, 01:45:57 PM
Of course she will be Queen Consort. And it's plain logical to add her in the privy council.

Prince Charles and her shan't walk on eggs at this age and day 21st century. Yesteryears of divorce and remarriage scandal, today is like breathing.

Other Royal monarchies have divorced and remarried women with child et all from a first marriage.

I still believe that Camilla doesn't care to be titled as Queen when Charles' reign begins, but it will be interesting to see what will unfold.  :)

Duch_Luver_4ever

I agree @TLLK  on both of your posts, it could just be hype the site is trying to generate, anything that has Camilla stepping into the last of Dianas "shoes" so to speak is going to raise the hackles of Diana fans as the coronation gets closer and closer.

michelle0187

Quote from: TLLK on September 11, 2016, 09:29:31 PM

I still believe that Camilla doesn't care to be titled as Queen when Charles' reign begins, but it will be interesting to see what will unfold.  :)

I think cam has gotten thick skinned over the years as a duchess. whether she and the public wants the Queen consort title,  if charles wants it then she'll get it.

lapalooza

I think she wants to be called Queen as Kate wants to be called Princess Kate rather than just plain Duchess Kate..they should be happy to have any title to be frank :girlblush: :royalsneeze:

Duch_Luver_4ever

I think if theres any change from whats been discussed before, itll prob come from Charles. He will be king then, his mother wont be around and im assuming PP will go before her if usual life expectancy tables and such hold true, so he may wish to flex his king muscles. It will depend on how far in the future it is from now and how well their patch and Spackle job of Camillas image goes.

Once Charles become King, William id imagine will become PoW and Kate would become Kate, Princess of Wales.

sandy

Quote from: michelle0187 on September 12, 2016, 01:26:15 AM
Quote from: TLLK on September 11, 2016, 09:29:31 PM

I think cam has gotten thick skinned over the years as a duchess. whether she and the public wants the Queen consort title,  if charles wants it then she'll get it.

Camilla was always thick skinned. One instance her taking over Diana's hostessing duties at Highgrove while Charles and Diana were still married.

Trudie

Anyone here that doesn't believe Camilla doesn't want the Queen Consort Title IMO is living in fantasyland. Camilla didn't work as hard as she did as mistress  of Charles to undermine the marriage of Charles and Diana. Once it was clear that it was possible for Charles to divorce and still remain in line to the throne so too did the possibility of them being able to marry once the Queen Mother passed away. Princess Anne paved the way with her second marriage as they both learned from the divorce public opinion goes a long way and Bolland did his job at the expense of others to make Camilla palatable.

Duch_Luver_4ever

:goodpost: Im sure she WANTS it, but for now shes knows its not time yet to push for it. Charles has long enjoyed the similarities between themselves and their descendants who had an affair, so he will probably do the pushing for her to called Queen Consort  once hes king, he'll have all the leverage, and sadly I don't think the govt will have the stomach to make him leave like they did for his great uncle if he does so.

FanDianaFancy

Umpteeth time,  Camilla  is  not  going  on the world stage, be presented  to heads  of state, European crowned heads, her  members  of the  aristos,  gentry,  nobility    as  princess  consort.
NEVER!!

King Charles and Queen  Camilla.
Consort  is term  that  people do  not use...it is formal.
QEII  will be  dead. PP  too  . If  PP  is  not dead, so what.

Double post auto-merged: September 16, 2016, 03:50:12 AM

my  questions is,  if  by some chance  PCharles dies  before  becoming  KofE,  how, what  will   W and  H   do  with CpB.  QEII  would still be  alive.
I  do  not  think  W  and H would  have  CPB around  and  ...

It  is pointless  to say. pardon me.
this  will not happen  this way.

QEII  has  a  good 5-10  years  left to live.  PC and  CPB will be  K and  Q  next.  they  will a  good  5-10 years  before  KC  dies.
What  year is it now?
2020 until EII  dies, then  10  years for KC and CPB,   2030.
George and Charlote  will  be  around  18 and 20.
W and K,  53.
it  seems odd and far  off when  you  list  years, dates, but these  people  do not die.  they  have the best  med  service , constant  med service.  lack of stress.  they  do  not die  until  mid 90's.

Duch_Luver_4ever

"my  questions is,  if  by some chance  PCharles dies  before  becoming  KofE,  how, what  will   W and  H   do  with CpB.  QEII  would still be  alive.
I  do  not  think  W  and H would  have  CPB around  and  ..."

That would be the best of all outcomes, IMO karmic payback. Im guessing theyd do like Charles Spencer and Diana did with Raine when Earl Spencer died, out the door with stuff packed in black bin bags...maybe Andrew would take her back :lol: :teehee:

sandy

I think Charles of course left a will. He probably discussed this with the Queen. Camilla IMO would become Dowager Duchess of Cornwall if the Queen outlives Charles. I don't think William and Harry would have much to do with her. I think Camilla would be well provided for and have a royal residence or maybe live at Raymill most of the time (she might do this already).

Duch_Luver_4ever

Id imagine she'll be well taken care of financially if Charles predeceases her and HM, I doubt we'll see her in the bread lines, I think it would be more the possible royal sidelining from the center of the action that would be the most troubling. At the level they play at they dont have to worry about food, clothing shelter, etc. long gone are the days when Camilla has to hide from the fishmonger when he came ringing for an unpaid bill, seems working on your back has benefits after all  :teehee: they mostly play for status and proximity to the regent.

TLLK

Quote from: Trudie on September 13, 2016, 12:18:33 AM
Anyone here that doesn't believe Camilla doesn't want the Queen Consort Title IMO is living in fantasyland. Camilla didn't work as hard as she did as mistress  of Charles to undermine the marriage of Charles and Diana. Once it was clear that it was possible for Charles to divorce and still remain in line to the throne so too did the possibility of them being able to marry once the Queen Mother passed away. Princess Anne paved the way with her second marriage as they both learned from the divorce public opinion goes a long way and Bolland did his job at the expense of others to make Camilla palatable.
Honestly I don't think she has ever cared about the title as long as she ended up with Charles.  (Guess this statement marks me as a permanent resident of fantasyland.) :happy17: However it doesn't really matter if she's titled  Princess Consort or Queen as she's still going to be considered as   the wife of the Head of State.  :Jen:

Trudie

IMO If the title weren't part of the package Camilla would still be the mistress enjoying the perks. Take a good look back at pics of her from 2005 her marriage to 2012 Her smile like the cat who got the cream vs. before.  Until Princess Anne remarried and retained her place in line for the throne it wasn't possible nor was Anne ostracised like George Lacelles The Earl of Harewood the Queens cousin.

TLLK

@Trudie- While I understand your point regarding Camilla and her potential titles, I just don't agree. It's another agree to disagree moment here at the RIF discussion board. :friends:

Duch_Luver_4ever

I think Charles probably is more keen on her having the Queen Consort title than Cam is, he doesnt like having to bow to public pressure or having his wishes or decisions questioned. Shes glad to be on the other side of the velvet rope, although im sure she wouldnt refuse it if offered.  :lol:

Eri

Liz has other 10/12 Years in her ... therefore I doubt Cam is loosing any sleep about what she might be called when Liz proves Mortal just like she isn't loosing any sleep about not being called Princess of Wales even though she IS Princess of Wales ...

Duch_Luver_4ever

In a great case of royalty governing by the consent of the people, the people only recognize one Princess of Wales, and she rests at Althorp. Neither C or C are gonna weather that bread roll storm so close to HM shuffling off her mortal coil and Charlie getting to finally sit at the big boy table.