Kat Ashley died–On this day in 1565

Started by snokitty, July 18, 2015, 11:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snokitty

On this day in 1565 ? Kat Ashley died | Tudor Chronicles

QuoteIt is unknown when Katherine Champernowne, or Kat Ashley as she was later known, it is believed that she was born in 1502 and that her parents were Sir John Champernowne and Margaret Courtenay.

Kat's early life is unknown and but she appears to have been appointed a waiting gentlewoman to Elizabeth in 1536, shortly after Anne Boleyn had been executed. Kat intended to keep Elizabeth's mother's memory alive with the infant.

After the birth of Henry VIII's son, Edward, a new household was set up to care for him this included Lady Bryan who had been until then Elizabeth's nurse. As a result in 1537 Kat was appointed governess to Elizabeth.

In her role as Elizabeth's governess Kat would teach her young charge in every aspect from geography, astronomy, history, maths and many languages including French, Italian, Spanish and Flemish.
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

Curryong

Quote from: snokitty on July 18, 2015, 11:50:04 AM
On this day in 1565 ? Kat Ashley died | Tudor Chronicles

QuoteIt is unknown when Katherine Champernowne, or Kat Ashley as she was later known, it is believed that she was born in 1502 and that her parents were Sir John Champernowne and Margaret Courtenay.

Kat's early life is unknown and but she appears to have been appointed a waiting gentlewoman to Elizabeth in 1536, shortly after Anne Boleyn had been executed. Kat intended to keep Elizabeth's mother's memory alive with the infant.

After the birth of Henry VIII's son, Edward, a new household was set up to care for him this included Lady Bryan who had been until then Elizabeth's nurse. As a result in 1537 Kat was appointed governess to Elizabeth.

In her role as Elizabeth's governess Kat would teach her young charge in every aspect from geography, astronomy, history, maths and many languages including French, Italian, Spanish and Flemish.

I just have this image of Elizabeth's nurse as portrayed by 'Nursie' in 'Black Adder' for some reason! Of course that's ridiculous, as Kat Ashley was a cultured and very well educated woman. I'm sure she kept Elizabeth's nose to the grindstone where learning her lessons was concerned. However, she was devoted to her charge and I'm sure the motherless then orphaned Elizabeth regarded her as a second mother. It's odd to think that she wouldn't have remembered Anne Boleyn at all.

Kat must have been very frightened at times, when she was interrogated during Mary's reign for example, but she showed great loyalty to Elizabeth. I wish we knew more about these women's lives. Thanks for posting this, Snokitty.

amabel

Humm, if she was so well educated it seems to me that she entirely lacked common sense.  She didn't do anyting much to protect Eliz from the attentions of Tom Seymour which harmed her reputation. She was loyal in her way, but hardly the best guardian for the girl.

Curryong

Quote from: amabel on July 19, 2015, 11:13:55 AM
Humm, if she was so well educated it seems to me that she entirely lacked common sense.  She didn't do anyting much to protect Eliz from the attentions of Tom Seymour which harmed her reputation. She was loyal in her way, but hardly the best guardian for the girl.

I think Kat did wonder whether a match could perhaps be arranged between Elizabeth and Seymour after the death of the Queen Dowager. She was playing with fire really and the Lord Protector's wife had already reproved her for letting Elizabeth go on a night excursion on the Thames with the Admiral. After Seymour was taken into custody Kat paid for her impetuosity. She must have been terrified when she went to the Tower, and  was questioned. She certainly wasn't as quick thinking as her mistress but did manage to convince her interrogators that she wasn't involved in any plots. Elizabeth was devoted to her, though, for all her shortcomings.

amabel

True but she was extremely irresponsible.. clearly a bit infatuated iwht Seymour herself. was she actually the person who taught Eliz all the languages etc anyway. I thought it was Roger Ascham and other masters.

Curryong

Quote from: amabel on July 19, 2015, 12:40:13 PM
True but she was extremely irresponsible.. clearly a bit infatuated iwht Seymour herself. was she actually the person who taught Eliz all the languages etc anyway. I thought it was Roger Ascham and other masters.

^Alison Weir in 'Children of England' writes that Kat had an unusually advanced education for a woman at that time. 'She took charge of Elizabeth's elementary education, teaching her mathematics, history, geography, astronomy, architecture, needlework, dancing, riding and deportment. She also imparted the rudiments of French, Italian, Spanish and Flemish.'

'Sir Thomas Wriothesley visited Elizabeth when she was six and commented that 'if she be no worse educated than she now appeareth to me, she will prove of no less honour to womanhood than shall beseem her father's daughter.' Of course, Elizabeth was an exceptionally clever little girl.

amabel

AH, well, not to be rude but I'm a bit sceptical of Weir, as a historian. Of course Eliz was exceptionally clever but she was also going to be lauded as "brilliant" by courtiers anyway

Curryong

Quote from: amabel on July 19, 2015, 01:13:26 PM
AH, well, not to be rude but I'm a bit sceptical of Weir, as a historian. Of course Eliz was exceptionally clever but she was also going to be lauded as "brilliant" by courtiers anyway

^ Elizabeth may well have had masters as well at a very young age, but of course this is elementary level we are talking about and Kat probably supervised her charge's 'homework' if nothing else. If even half of this is accurate (must look it up elsewhere) it's a formidable curriculum for a six year old.

amabel

I don't think ti was that formidable for a royal child, even a girl, at the time.. Kate of Aragon had also had Mary highly educated. and Elz was very clever,  like Janey Grey so she was probably considered worthy of a very intensive tutoring. Possibly Kate Ashly did teach her the basics, but I think that she would have had quite a few masters..
A Governess was really more of a "lady controller" who was there to help supervise the house and ensure that the young lady behaved.. rather than someone who taught lessons.. I think

Curryong

Quote from: amabel on July 19, 2015, 01:57:35 PM
I don't think ti was that formidable for a royal child, even a girl, at the time.. Kate of Aragon had also had Mary highly educated. and Elz was very clever,  like Janey Grey so she was probably considered worthy of a very intensive tutoring. Possibly Kate Ashly did teach her the basics, but I think that she would have had quite a few masters..
A Governess was really more of a "lady controller" who was there to help supervise the house and ensure that the young lady behaved.. rather than someone who taught lessons.. I think

Yes, one thing Henry did ensure, which I think is admirable really, and that is that his daughters were educated by the best masters available. It was an age in which female education wasn't regarded so highly as males' and although of course most royal and upperclass children were taught a wide range of subjects, someone like Kate Howard, an aristocrat, could apparently hardly read and write. Henry was used to well educated, intellectually curious women and though I suppose her youthful high spirits were a great attraction he would probably have become very bored with her sooner or later even if she hadn't misbehaved.

SophieChloe

[gmod]May I say this thread has been extremely interesting to read. Thanks to ALL who have contributed. If some agree then this thread is a fantastic opportunity to show your appreciation : Recognising Stand-Out Conversationalists! :nod:[/gmod]
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me