The 1995 Panorama Interview and the Investigation into the BBC

Started by Mike, August 31, 2018, 02:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oak_and_cedar

I am curious as to why this has come out now? Does someone have it out for Bashir? And are now choosing to speak out when he's ill? Why did Earl Spencer decide to publish this now? And, interestingly and perhaps this is just a coincidence, but this is all occurring just after he's released a book. Though maybe it's just me being cynical.

And I don't believe prince Charles told Diana he didn't love her a day before. Diana did write that he left her a not before the wedding day saying how proud he was of her and was looking forward to seeing her at the alter. Hardly the words of someone confessing they didn't love you. IMO.

I wonder why these revelations are coming out now...

And of course odious Burrell had to put his 2 cents in. Apparently he was everywhere in the center of things. Soon he'll say that him and Diana had a special connection and he could read her mind. Loser.

Curryong

Burrell has already said, many times, that he and Diana had a special connection. We had a giggle here not so long ago that Burrell morphed into Mrs Danvers from 'Rebecca'!

Why is it breaking now? Well, I'm no expert, but surely the release of this new Channel 4 doco probing the circumstances behind Diana's explosive Panorama interview so many years ago probably has something to do with it! The fact that they got people talking, like the graphic designer who's probably been seething with resentments for decades about Bashir, a typical overblown journalist with few ethics and little morality, has been a bonus for Channel 4.

The Channel 4 executives are probably wetting themselves with excitement over all this PR for the documentary and being able to give the BBC, an organisation that nowadays matches Bashir in levels of moral fibre, a punch in the nose. Every so often scandals break out about the rottenness, inside and out, of the BBC, a Corporation that was admired all over the world when I was young. The Jimmy Savile mess was a typical example, but little changes.

And yes, I do believe that Earl Spencer, a not particularly elevated individual IMO, has a new book out provides a reason for himself to interpose himself into the limelight once again, with the excuse of protecting his sister. Even if he was the one who introduced Bashir to her in the first place.

TLLK

Quote from: oak_and_cedar on November 10, 2020, 08:06:38 PM
I am curious as to why this has come out now? Does someone have it out for Bashir? And are now choosing to speak out when he's ill? Why did Earl Spencer decide to publish this now? And, interestingly and perhaps this is just a coincidence, but this is all occurring just after he's released a book. Though maybe it's just me being cynical.

And I don't believe prince Charles told Diana he didn't love her a day before. Diana did write that he left her a not before the wedding day saying how proud he was of her and was looking forward to seeing her at the alter. Hardly the words of someone confessing they didn't love you. IMO.

I wonder why these revelations are coming out now...

And of course odious Burrell had to put his 2 cents in. Apparently he was everywhere in the center of things. Soon he'll say that him and Diana had a special connection and he could read her mind. Loser.

I have the exact same questions @oak_and_cedar!

wannable

Sadly, she was a very very stubborn person, with all the fake documents et all, all famous and public people have advisers, handlers and security.  EVEN if she had stayed with the 3 or 1 or 2 or 3, she would end up doing whatever she wanted. Ultimately she signed up for the TV show.

I can't help but think that her son Harry and his wife Meghan are alike in that sense.

It's a train wreck. I almost feel sorry but with the pandemic, reality has hit the billions in the planet! The 1% really need to wise up.

LouisFerdinand

Quote from: Amabel2 on November 03, 2020, 03:08:52 PM
not sure waht Edward being terminally ill would have to do with anything.by then he was well down the line of succession and in any case Di's son was heir after charles.  But again, very distressing to feel that (if all this is true) Diana was so shaky and gullible....
Not only was Prince Edward down the line of succession but he had one older brother who came between him and his oldest brother Prince Charles. The middle brother was Prince Andrew.

oak_and_cedar

Quote from: Curryong on November 10, 2020, 09:50:54 PM
Burrell has already said, many times, that he and Diana had a special connection. We had a giggle here not so long ago that Burrell morphed into Mrs Danvers from 'Rebecca'!

Why is it breaking now? Well, I'm no expert, but surely the release of this new Channel 4 doco probing the circumstances behind Diana's explosive Panorama interview so many years ago probably has something to do with it! The fact that they got people talking, like the graphic designer who's probably been seething with resentments for decades about Bashir, a typical overblown journalist with few ethics and little morality, has been a bonus for Channel 4.

The Channel 4 executives are probably wetting themselves with excitement over all this PR for the documentary and being able to give the BBC, an organisation that nowadays matches Bashir in levels of moral fibre, a punch in the nose. Every so often scandals break out about the rottenness, inside and out, of the BBC, a Corporation that was admired all over the world when I was young. The Jimmy Savile mess was a typical example, but little changes.

And yes, I do believe that Earl Spencer, a not particularly elevated individual IMO, has a new book out provides a reason for himself to interpose himself into the limelight once again, with the excuse of protecting his sister. Even if he was the one who introduced Bashir to her in the first place.

Yes, I do remember that! The similarities are eerie IMO. His fixation is unhealthy and I wonder how much it is he really knows about Diana. I simply cannot believe that Diana would be taken in for too long by this creature, and indeed, weren?t there rumours of her wanting to fire him? He has benefitted alot from her untimely passing. I think he has made for himself a larger role in her life than what is necessarily true. Loathsome figure he is. Honestly.

Yes, I agree that it has to do with the documentary. I do think also that people have it out for Bashir and since he?s ill he can?t speak up for himself. I don?t think many hav eforgiven him for his expos? on Michael Jackson. Though granted, Bashir is not a paragon of virtue to put it mildly.

Earl Spencer published a book not too long ago. He also gave an interview where he said that Frances, his mother, was not fit for motherhood. For her own son to say that about her, in public and in order to sell a book, is particularly cruel. I remember there were some letters published that he wrote to Diana saying how he was sorry for her mental problems or something similar. To see him now grandstanding is galling. A thoroughly unlikable man IMO.

Amabel2

Diana kept Burrell on for quite a while for someone who was "thinking of firing him".. I think that as always with Diana, she was extremely fitful and volatile.. One minute perhaps thinking of getting rid of him and at others depending on him and confiding in him.
As for Spencer, can you quote this interview where he said his mother wasn't fit for motherhood?  I haven't seen it.   I don't think myself that Frances was a particularly good mother, and was clearly not on speaking terms with Diana in the last months of her life.
He did write privately to Diana about how her mental problems made her difficult to deal with, which was basically true... They had a big row in 93 over her renting a house, which damaged their relationship... and didn't make it up for some time....

Curryong

Charles Spencer spoke to the Sunday Times recently about his new book, daughter's engagement and other matters. In discussing The Crown he spoke about the early childhood of himself and Diana, revealing that he had been in and out of therapy for more than twenty years about it.

The Times is behind a paywall. However Hello has published a pr?cis of his remarks in the interview. Spencer spoke about his father as a constant source of love and support, but that his mother was not cut out for maternity 'not her fault, she just couldn't do it.' He also stated that his mother promised Diana faithfully that she would return to Wood Farm when she left home but she never did. This resulted in Diana waiting for her on the steps every day.

Princess Diana's brother Charles Spencer says their mother Frances was not cut out for maternity | HELLO!

Amabel2

well "not cut out for motherhood" isnt the same as not fit for it... and I've always thought that Frances was not all that great at motherhood.. but as a girl of her class and time she had little option but to have children, esp. boys. I think that Charles S and Diana both suffered most from Frances' walking out more than Sarah And Jane.. tho' Sarah had some problems as well.   One of Di's nannies, I think it was Mary Clarke, said that when the children went to visit her in London, she would get upset and cry over them when they were going back and that would upset Diana.. who would cry over her poor mother being all alone.  the others would point out that Frances had her husband with her and that she wasn't all alone.. but clearly Frances' emotional reactions sparked off emotional reactions in Diana. I suppose she did her best, Frances  -but It seems like she reacted very emotionally to all sorts of situations when calm would have been better...
And while Diana clearly flew off the handle over the stuff about the HRH, I think that Fran should have known how sensitive she was on the issue and not said anything.
Having siad that I dont think that Johnny was a great parent either..

Curryong

I believe that Frances was pushed into marriage with Johnny by Ruth who was enchanted by the thought her daughter would be a Countess. She was younger than Diana when she married him.

Granted that parenting was very different among the upper classes fifty years ago than it is now. However, Frances's emotional responses and the way in which she left home exacerbated the effect on her younger children a hundred fold.

And surely those children when they grew up would have a clearer understanding of their parents as people and their roles in their childhood than any observers like us, whose knowledge of the situation is derived from bios, articles and documentaries.

Diana and Charles adored their father and obviously felt he had their best interests at heart throughout their youth, in spite of their dislike of Raine, who they believed manipulated Johnny. I'm not so sure they felt the same way about their mother, though of course they loved her.

For instance was Frances's move to a remote part of the West of Scotland, when Diana was about eleven and Charles eight, helpful to her children being able to visit her often and easily, and ditto with the Australian sheep station? Or was it for her own convenience and to keep her husband happy?

Whereas Johnny was always there in school holidays, at wood Farm and then Althorp. Being always available physically and emotionally means a huge amount to children of divorced parents. I don't believe that Frances was naturally maternal in the way that Johnny was a loving father.

oak_and_cedar

Quote from: Curryong on November 16, 2020, 04:42:24 PM
Charles Spencer spoke to the Sunday Times recently about his new book, daughter's engagement and other matters. In discussing The Crown he spoke about the early childhood of himself and Diana, revealing that he had been in and out of therapy for more than twenty years about it.

The Times is behind a paywall. However Hello has published a pr?cis of his remarks in the interview. Spencer spoke about his father as a constant source of love and support, but that his mother was not cut out for maternity 'not her fault, she just couldn't do it.' He also stated that his mother promised Diana faithfully that she would return to Wood Farm when she left home but she never did. This resulted in Diana waiting for her on the steps every day.

Princess Diana's brother Charles Spencer says their mother Frances was not cut out for maternity | HELLO!

Though I don't think it's fair for anyone to comment on someone's childhood as the person in question is more knowledgeable of course. However, I do think he comes across as misogynistic and this is of course just my opinion but i'm basing this on his comments. 

Frances, from what I have read, promised Diana to come back and would have done just that had her husband and mother not testified against her in court. If he holds Frances absence against her, what then can be said about her ex-husband whose interference made her absence permanent? And if it took the combined efforts of her mother, husband and the misogynistic courts of the sixties to prevent Frances from gaining full custody then she couldn't have been that unmotherly. But this is just IMO 

Double post auto-merged: November 16, 2020, 07:37:27 PM

Quote from: Amabel2 on November 16, 2020, 01:45:11 PM
Diana kept Burrell on for quite a while for someone who was "thinking of firing him".. I think that as always with Diana, she was extremely fitful and volatile.. One minute perhaps thinking of getting rid of him and at others depending on him and confiding in him.
As for Spencer, can you quote this interview where he said his mother wasn't fit for motherhood?  I haven't seen it.   I don't think myself that Frances was a particularly good mother, and was clearly not on speaking terms with Diana in the last months of her life.
He did write privately to Diana about how her mental problems made her difficult to deal with, which was basically true... They had a big row in 93 over her renting a house, which damaged their relationship... and didn't make it up for some time....

Diana was rightly suspicious of him and we only have Burrell's word for her depending on him and confiding in him, which doesn't amount to much IMO.

Why doesn't Frances get the benefit of the doubt? She might have made mistakes but she wasn't out of her childrens lives completely and even fought in court for them, twice I believe. And she was in Diana's will so obviously Diana was loyal and trusted her mothers opinion.

Earl Spencer has some nerve throwing those accusations around. What 'problems' did Diana have, besides bulimia? There is no credible source that points to any serious 'issues'. Having personal flaws doesn't constitute as mental illness.

Amabel2

Quote from: Curryong on November 16, 2020, 06:14:20 PM
I

Granted that parenting was very different among the upper classes fifty years ago than it is now. However, Frances's emotional responses and the way in which she left home exacerbated the effect on her younger children a hundred fold.

And surely those children when they grew up would have a clearer understanding of their parents as people and their roles in their childhood than any observers like us, whose knowledge of the situation is derived from bios, articles and documentaries.

Diana and Charles adored their father and obviously felt he had their best interests at heart throughout their youth, in spite of their dislike of Raine, who they believed manipulated Johnny. I'm not so sure they felt the same way about their mother, though of course they loved her.

For instance was Frances's move to a remote part of the West of Scotland, when Diana was about eleven and Charles eight, helpful to her children being able to visit her often and easily, and ditto with the Australian sheep station? Or was it for her own convenience and to keep her husband happy?

Whereas Johnny was always there in school holidays, at wood Farm and then Althorp. Being always available physically and emotionally means a huge amount to children of divorced parents. I don't believe that Frances was naturally maternal in the way that Johnny was a loving father.
Diana didn't always adore her father and neither did Charles.... At the time of Johnny's death, I believe that Char had had a barney with his father over a dispute about workmen on the estate... and Diana of course lashed out at her father and was angry with him for marrying Raine.. I agree that I dont think Frances was great at motherhood.. I think she tried her best but she wanted out of the marriage and if the price of it was loosing the children, she was willing to do that... but then she upset them or at least Diana by being weepy when they were meeting. I feel a bit sorry for her, but overall not a fan. I think that she did make it more difficult for the kids to visit her when she moved to Scotland.. Then later on, she was drinking and quarrelling with Diana - according to Di over her dating Muslim men.. and that set the scene for the final row....
I think that Di and Charles probalby were at least grateful to their father for being at home with them.. but then again, he did shut himself up a lot and sent them to school.  He tried to make up for the loss of their mother by spoiling them materally and letting them act up with their nannies....

Double post auto-merged: November 16, 2020, 08:01:54 PM

Quote from: oak_and_cedar on November 16, 2020, 07:30:46 PM

Double post auto-merged: November 16, 2020, 07:37:27 PM

Diana was rightly suspicious of him and we only have Burrell's word for her depending on him and confiding in him, which doesn't amount to much IMO.

Why doesn't Frances get the benefit of the doubt? She might have made mistakes but she wasn't out of her childrens lives completely and even fought in court for them, twice I believe. And she was in Diana's will so obviously Diana was loyal and trusted her mothers opinion.

Earl Spencer has some nerve throwing those accusations around. What 'problems' did Diana have, besides bulimia? There is no credible source that points to any serious 'issues'. Having personal flaws doesn't constitute as mental illness.
Diana had a lot of problems. She suffered from depression and mood swiings, she was bulimic, she cut herself and possibly made some half hearted suicide attempts.  She was easily roused to suspicion of people, to the point of paranoia...
Diana didn't trust her mother.. She flared up very hotly over teh issue of Frances giving an interview about the HRH.. and refused to give her mother the benefit of the doubt....Frances made attempts to contact her in the last few months of her life but Diana wouldn't talk to her...And they had had rows before that,  Di disapproved strongly of heavy drinking and was cool with her mother when she began to drink.. and they rowed apparently about Di's dating Muslim men. I wouldn't take the Will too seriously as Diana was a young woman and probably didn't seriously think she would predecease her mother.. or she may simply have not thought about it at all. She had a lot going on at the time...

TLLK

Prince William issues a statement regarding the investigation into the Panorama Interview.

sign-in

QuoteThe Duke of Cambridge says a new investigation into how the BBC secured an interview with his mother in 1995 is "a step in the right direction".

The BBC has promised to "get to the truth" about the events surrounding the Panorama interview with Princess Diana.

Diana's brother has alleged the BBC's Martin Bashir used forged bank statements to convince her to do it.

Kensington Palace said in a statement that Prince William "tentatively welcomed the investigation".

The prince, whose mother died in 1997, added: "The independent investigation is a step in the right direction.

"It should help establish the truth behind the actions that led to the Panorama interview and subsequent decisions taken by those in the BBC at the time."

sara8150

Duke of Cambridge speak out on his late mother the Diana,Princess of wales 1995 interview not so easy to heard and wouldnt bring his mom back and Duke of Cambridge would welcome investigation and probe but William wanted ?It should help establish truth?

Prince William backs probe into Bashir Princess Diana interview | Daily Mail Online

Martin Bashir is seen in public for the first time in days amid Princess Diana interview furore  | Daily Mail Online

Prince William Breaks Silence on Investigation Into Princess Diana?s Panorama Interview | PEOPLE.com

Princess Diana BBC Interview: Investigation Announced | PEOPLE.com

Princess Diana BBC Panorama interview: Prince William says investigation 'should help establish the truth' | UK News | Sky News

Prince William welcomes BBC's investigation into Diana interview | Media | The Guardian

Princess Diana BBC interview: Prince William breaks silence on investigation | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Prince William welcomes investigation into Diana Panorama interview as 'step in the right direction' | ITV News

Prince William breaks silence on inquiry into Panorama's Princess Diana interview - Mirror Online

Prince William wants to get to "the truth" behind Panorama Princess Diana interview - Mirror Online

BBC appoints Lord Dyson to lead probe into Martin Bashir's Diana interview - Mirror Online

Prince William backs BBC probe into claims Martin Bashir duped Princess Diana into 1995 Panorama interview

Double post auto-merged: November 19, 2020, 05:13:33 PM

PIERS MORGAN: Prince William is right, the BBC needs to come clean over Diana's Panorama interview | Daily Mail Online

Prince William breaks silence on Panorama's controversial Princess Diana interview | HELLO!

Prince William's heartbreak at Diana over Panorama interview: 'Why did you do it?' | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Prince William 'threw hands up in horror' at 'skulduggery' BBC allegedly used on mum Diana | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Princess Diana?s bombshell BBC interview destroyed bond with Princess Margaret | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Prince William breaks silence on BBC Panorama Diana interview ? Want the truth on Bashir! | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Ofcom writes to BBC as Lord Dyson probes into Martin Bashir's Diana interview - Mirror Online

Prince William 'was in touch with BBC for two weeks' over Martin Bashir probe - Mirror Online

Piers Morgan insists Princess Diana had no regrets over Panorama interview - Mirror Online

Martin Bashir looks sprightly despite being 'too ill' to help BBC Panorama investigation - Mirror Online

Martin Bashir dropped from Meghan Markle and Prince Harry?s public speaking agency in wake of Princess Diana scandal

The Duke of Cambridge ?tentatively welcomes? new BBC inquiry into circumstances around Diana?s famous Panorama interview ? Royal Central

Prince William reacts to investigation on infamous Martin Bashir interview with Princess Diana | GMA

Prince William weighs in on investigation into infamous Princess Diana interview

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/prince-william-bbc-investigation-princess-diana

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/bbc-appoints-former-judge-lead-probe-princess-diana-interview

Double post auto-merged: November 19, 2020, 08:38:26 PM

Princess Diana confessed to regretting 'Queen of People's Heart' title after BBC interview | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Princess Diana bombshell interview forced Queen into 'become involved' in Charles' life | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Double post auto-merged: November 19, 2020, 10:31:12 PM

Princess Diana: MPs consider separate inquiry into Martin Bashir BBC interview - Mirror Online

Prince Harry accused of failing to stand by William in fight for BBC?s Diana interview truth

MPs 'consider separate inquiry into Martin Bashir's BBC Panorama interview with Princess Diana'

TLLK

Prince Harry is being informed regarding the investigation into the Panorama Interview.

Prince Harry 'aware of everything that is happening' around Diana Panorama interview investigation | ITV News

QuoteThe Duke of Sussex is "getting regular updates" around an inquiry into the BBC Panorama interview with his mother Diana, Princess of Wales.

A source close to Prince Harry said suggestions in the press to the contrary were attempts to "drive a wedge between" Harry and his brother the Duke of Cambridge.

The source said: "Harry is getting regular updates and is aware of everything that is happening.

"You do not need a public statement to imagine how he is feeling privately, people know how much his mother means to him."

sara8150

Why William wants justice: He watched THAT Panorama interview in tears then raged at Diana | Daily Mail Online

BBC Princess Diana interview: Prince Harry not satisfied with probe | Daily Mail Online

Prince Harry Source Blasts Reaction to William's Solo Statement | PEOPLE.com

Prince Harry: Press trying to 'drive a wedge' between him and William over Diana's Panorama interview - source | UK News | Sky News

Princess Diana BBC inquiry sparks anger from Earl Spencer as he demands it go further | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Princess Diana's close friend praises William for 'standing up' amid silence from Harry | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

'Prince Harry thinks Diana probe silence being used to try and drive wedge with William' - Mirror Online

Diana's brother Earl Spencer 'not at all satisfied' with BBC Panorama inquiry - Mirror Online

Determined Prince William won't stop until he uncovers truth of BBC's Bashir interview with Diana

Princess Diana?s brother slams BBC probe into Martin Bashir?s Panorama interview as he demands independent inquiry

Prince William welcomes BBC investigation into Princess Diana interview - CNN Video

Earl Spencer seeks wider inquiry into BBC interview with Diana | Diana, Princess of Wales | The Guardian

Double post auto-merged: November 21, 2020, 06:51:46 PM

Panorama reporter astonished inquiry won't investigate 'cover-up' at BBC after Diana interview | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: November 21, 2020, 07:03:51 PM

sign-in

Double post auto-merged: November 21, 2020, 07:07:38 PM

Prince William 'wept' watching BBC?s Diana interview as 'something inside him snapped' - Mirror Online

Princess Diana's interview with Martin Bashir - what has he been accused of? - Mirror Online