George general chat

Started by Windsor, July 22, 2013, 07:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Regal

I like the combination of the three names  :nod:

Prince George will sound weird at first, since it is an "old" name they may decide to go by his second or third name when he's younger???

v_voom

If the kid ever visit a jungle, I can just see the headlines now:

"George of the Jungle!"  :happy20:
Proud Eurasian girl in London! ;)

Limabeany

"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

missbliss

For those who say that George is an old-fashioned name - names cycle in and out of fashion.  When I was a girl, nobody was given old-fashioned names like Emily, Emma, Olivia, Sophia, Charlotte  -- now they are among the most popular. 

I'll bet George will become more popular now -- as Henry V says to Kate:

QuoteO Kate, nice customs curtsy to great kings. Dear
Kate, you and I cannot be confined within the weak
list of a country's fashion: we are the makers of
manners, Kate;
:D

Limabeany

From the DM:

"Queen Elizabeth's father was proceeded by George V who ruled from 1910 to 1936, but the Royal couple say they just like the name and it has nothing to do with him.
The name Alexander will prove particularly popular in Scotland, where Alexander III was regarded as one of the country's greatest rulers.
The name Louis is likely to have been chosen in honour of Lord Mountbatten, the Duke of Edinburgh's late uncle."

The newborn will be the third Windsor king to be named George
The Queen's father, George VI, reigned until his death in 1952
But the Royal couple have insisted that the baby is not named after him
The name means farmer or earth worker and originates from ancient Greek
George was the 12th most popular name for babies in the UK
4,347 Georges were born in the UK in 2011
The choice of three names bucks a trend with royal children often given at least four
The name Louis was Duke of Edinburgh's uncle Lord Mountbatten's name
The inclusion of Alexander in the name is likely to please those in Scotland
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

cinrit

Quotehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_George,_Duke_of_Cambridge   

Duke of Cambridge is wrong.  William is the only Duke of Cambridge. 

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Limabeany

cinrit

Or ... "Georgie-Porgie, puddin' and pie..."

Cindy

Blue Clover

Perfect name for a Prince!

FanDianaFancy

Quote from: missbliss on July 24, 2013, 06:00:15 PM
QuotePersoanlly, I think George  is  too old  a  name  for  a  youngster

But he won't always be a youngster.  I like when people give their children "adult" names.  So many people use nicknames instead of the "real name" - so Jack instead of John, Molly instead of Mary, etc. etc.  You can always come up with a nickname for family and for childhood days, but it is good to have a serious adult name for the vast amount of your life where you are not a child.
I totally agree.

I hate when people name their kids  dog and horse nmaes:
North West, Apple, Pilot, Ace, Rainbow etc. of celebrity names.
Poor kids in our country  have homemade names  I call them. Poor things cannot spell  them and people have a hard time pronouncing them or tyring to  say phonetically.
There was a show  , news show here once, about what happens to people  when they become adults and have these "different" names. How employers are baised  , rightly  so and wrongly so by  looking at their names:
LaKenada, DeDa'Juh, Keyonah, Da'Shanah...etc.
Lyric, Melody,  Liberty, Justice,  Saffron, Basil, etc.
I think if I had a stupid name, one for   an animal, I would change my name as an adult.
Use initals  at least.

Still, George  is  hard.
Maybe Geo as a nickname.  Any name  ending in an e  or a  or is  ,y  is always  cutesy  no matter what. Henry, Harry even.

Anyway, ther are are only so many names the  couple could use  to name their child.
It  had  to be a combination of  English princes and kings.

I like  , Inforgot  , who  said it  is  a combo of English kings.  Perhaps  that was their reasoning.

There cannot be  Jacob, Jay, Benjamin, Ian, Kyle, even saints ' names like Mark,  Peter, Paul, Simon, Sebastian, Lawrence, etc.

Trudie

Perhaps as he gets older he will become Curious George. :happy15: I really like the names chosen though I would have loved to see the name Phillip.

angieuk

House of Hanover Family Tree

King George I, II, III, IV

House of Windsor Family Tree

King George V, VII

Meet GEORGE as the late JFK Junior said after launching his new magazine.
Another famous George; GEORGE WASHINGTON US PRESIDENT

Prince GEORGE after the Queen's father King George VI (but was he not in fact ALBERT)?

So no middle names of Philip, Charles, Michael or John :

Prince Charles,
Michael Middleton
Prince Philip
John, Earl Spencer (Diana's father).

No uncle's names

Prince Henry
James Middleton.

Louis after Earl Mountbatten.

Not sure where Alexander comes from?

TRHs The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Have Finally Named Their Little Prince! | The Royal Correspondent

Royalty.nu - Royal News From Around the World

Home | Mail Online

Express. Home of the Daily and Sunday Express

Mirror Online: Number one for news, opinion, sport & celebrity gossip

HELLO! Online: celebrity & royal news, magazine, babies, weddings, style

Double post auto-merged: July 24, 2013, 07:47:29 PM

House of Hanover Family Tree

King George I, II, III, IV

House of Windsor Family Tree

King George V, VII

I think their choice was limited.

James (I never envisioned a King JAMES) too Scottish
King ALEXANDER - doesn't sound right.
King LOUIS (too French).
King RICHARD (not after the Richard III tragedy).

So there was only really HENRY, EDWARD, or FREDERICK left.

v_voom

:banana: :banana:  :banana: I've got the song in my head now!

Quote from: LIMABEANY on July 24, 2013, 07:16:59 PM
v_voom, maybe they are fans:

George of the Jungle intro - YouTube
Proud Eurasian girl in London! ;)

georgiana996

Surround yourself with people who are going to lift you higher.

missbliss

By the way, apparently George was the 12th most popular boy's name in the UK in 2011.  So it's not so "old-fashioned" after all! :)

FanDianaFancy

They  named  him after George Bush :teehee: :teehee: :teehee:

angieuk

The family have now left to stay with Catherine's parents for the Summer.  Which is great for the Middletons.  I do hope Charles will not feel too left out.  But I don't see how that can be helped. 

chavita

Don't like George, sorry. But I'm not the parent. :happy15:
Harryite #0009

Honesty

Such a classy gesture by HM.  Drive over to save Catherine & William having to bundle the new prince into the car to take it to great grandmother.  Grandparents first then the head of the family.  I would have thought that they had to take it to her.  So I admire a thoroughly modern 87 year old Monarch for keeping up with the times.

FanDianaFancy

I agree Honesty  with what  you said  about QEII.

This newborn prince or not, K, princess whatnot or not, too much moving via driving, new  places  and stuff and  is simply not good.
I mean the  extreme.  Still this is a newborn 3 day  old  , not 3 month old  and  K just  left L & D...all ________ such. Sorry  for being graphic.  I put a  _________ blank  line there.
The newborn went before the  press. Home. Aunt P and Uncle J and H   visiting. QEII  today. Moved-driven today  to  K's family home.

Enough.

I  like Sohie,DofW 's  statement. Well put.

mirrormaze

I like it. He was always going to be called something traditional and boring. I did think Philip would be in there though.

Limabeany

Quote from: FanDianaFancy on July 24, 2013, 08:10:38 PM
They  named  him after George Bush :teehee: :teehee: :teehee:

:yesss:  :happy15:

cinrit

I'm a little sad that Prince Philip hasn't been able to see him.  Maybe they Skype'd...

Cindy

Maria5583

So apparently Kate gave birth to a 90 year old. What an old fashioned name. All the other traditional royal names would have been better and more modern.  :thumbsdown:

Limabeany