Camilla's Literacy patronages

Started by TLLK, January 30, 2019, 01:41:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Cartoon Camilla returns to launch writing contest for children ? Royal Central

QuoteThe duchess has given her backing to the competition for the last five years and she?s often seen as an animation in films and social media posts promoting the event. This year?s cartoon has Camilla in a hot air balloon headed for the final of the contest which will take place in June while she tells writers everywhere to ?keep saying a big, fat yes to adventure?.

Glad to see the Duchess of Cornwall backing this competition for the fifth year now. Good luck to the young competitors! :happy:

TLLK

Twitter

Double post auto-merged: June 13, 2019, 10:46:26 PM

The Duchess of Cornwall will attend tomorrow's final for the BBC Radio2's writing contest.

Double post auto-merged: June 14, 2019, 01:19:04 PM

Bilder und Fotos - Getty Images

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: TLLK on January 30, 2019, 01:41:39 AM
Cartoon Camilla returns to launch writing contest for children ? Royal Central

Glad to see the Duchess of Cornwall backing this competition for the fifth year now. Good luck to the young competitors! :happy:
They all look so enthusiastic!

TLLK

Twitter

And there we have it - that has been #500Words 2019!
A huge thank you to EVERYONE involved with making this year's competition such a success.

(There are simply too many people to thank in 280 characters, but we do have to give a special thanks to all of our fantastic entrants!)
4 replies 4 retweets 59 likes

TLLK

I can't believe that I missed this article! :o Three royal ladies-NL-Laurentian, Norway-Mette-Marit and the UK's Camilla are all champions for literacy in their homelands.  :happy:

Royals? focus on the importance of literature ? Royal Central

QuoteWe are going to break down each royal lady?s work in the literature field, beginning with the Duchess of Cornwall. The Duchess of Cornwall has shared her passion for reading on numerous occasions and has shown her support for the activity with her patronages.

Her Royal Highness has been the patron of the National Literacy Trust since 2010, and she is also the patron to other literature-based organisations like Book Trust, First Story, the Wicked Young Writer Awards and Beanstalk. She also always throws her support behind the BBC Radio 2?s 500 Words creative writing competition.

Talking about how stories are magical, the Duchess, who has admitted to being an avid reader, has said, ?Like climbing through the wardrobe into Narnia, stories open doors into different worlds. They stretch our imagination and get our brains buzzing. We fall in love with heroes and heroines and can?t turn the pages fast enough to find out what happens?

?Whether exotic or every-day, heart-warming or heart-stopping, stories help us to understand our world and the people in it.?
The Duchess of Cornwall attends several literacy events each year, and she didn?t wait long into 2019 to undertake her first literature event. At the end of January, she visited the North Swindon Library, where she read to schoolchildren as part of her role with the National Literacy Trust.

Blue Clover

What a great cause for all of these royal ladies!

TLLK

Yes, it is so important to promote literacy and a nation's literary work IMO.  :nod:

Princess Cassandra

Every few years it seems like yet another reason to read to young children and then encourage them to read when they are ready comes to light.  These ladies are participating in a very worthy cause!

oak_and_cedar

There's more to literacy than just reading fantasy books and holding writing contests.

You have to reach out and try to create something tangible. For instance how to find ways to lessen illiteracy amongst adults, how to help youth incorporate strong reading habits, and how to apply it when studying etc.

She could follow her husbands lead and involve professionals. She can try to get businesses to contribute when it comes to sponsoring iniatives. There so much that can be done.

TLLK

@oak_and_cedar - Here is some valuable information (IMO) on Camilla's patronage the National Literacy trust which does exactly what you suggested with programs focused on communities with historically low literacy levels taught by professionals.
Quoteilliteracy amongst adults, how to help youth incorporate strong reading habits, and how to apply it when studying etc.

National Literacy Trust

We support
Communities and local areas

We target our work in the communities that need help most, working with local partners to deliver place-based solutions. National Literacy Trust Hubs create long-term change in communities where low levels of literacy are entrenched, intergenerational and seriously impacting on people?s lives.

Early years literacy.

QuoteEarly years programmes to help parents understand that literacy skills begin very early with spoken language and that they don't need specialized training to support these valuable skills. Especially important for second language learners, parents can speak/read in their primary language to build skills that will be transferred to English language literacy/communication.

We train early years staff and volunteers to work with families, building parents? confidence so that they can support their children?s communication, language and literacy skills at home.

Primary years literacy-Multiple programs available.

QuotePrimary programmes

Our primary programmes help children to read for pleasure, use sport to inspire pupils and support primary school libraries.

Secondary programs- Support for students in struggling schools with a focus on cross curriculum literacy and for job skills training.

QuoteOur secondary programmes help students develop their literacy skills to succeed at school and in their future lives.

Here is some information on Book Trust which aims to put books in the hands of children around the world including the UK with support for their parents/guardians. Suggestions on books for all ages and reading levels.

BookTrust: Getting children reading | BookTrust- Camilla's patronage from 2011 which she took over from the DoE.

Double post auto-merged: July 21, 2019, 05:39:35 PM

QuoteBookTrust transforms lives by getting children and families reading

BookTrust is the UK's largest children's reading charity. Each year we reach 3.4 million children across the UK with books, resources and support

Double post auto-merged: July 21, 2019, 05:40:17 PM

QuoteWe are national in scale, working in every region in England, Northern Ireland and Wales. We work through every local authority via children?s centres, schools, libraries and health professionals to reach families who need us most.

Our prizes and awards celebrate writing from the UK and beyond, bringing new releases to a wider audience and getting readers to engage with different types of books. Here you can find out more about our programmes, campaigns and awards.

Double post auto-merged: July 21, 2019, 05:41:25 PM

Families that are identified by community professionals in needing additional support are given the necessary books.

Double post auto-merged: July 21, 2019, 05:44:23 PM

Camilla became the patron of the National Literacy Trust in 2010.

Double post auto-merged: July 21, 2019, 05:58:27 PM

She also supports programs aimed at men and women who are incarcerated and require additional literacy programs to assist them when their term is over.

https://www.friendsoferlestokeprison.com/aboutus.php-Patron-Duchess of Cornwall.

LouisFerdinand

Reading is a very fundamental part of a person's life. Children enjoy stories which are read to them. The children learn to read and thus can read the stories to someone.

Princess Cassandra

We have a wonderful program in my hometown called Literacy Volunteers. It works out of the Library. The program teaches volunteers how to tutor those who for various reasons cannot read.  It works well and so many have been helped, but the best time to learn is when you are young.

sandy

Here in the US Sarah Jessica Parker is promoting reading and literacy. She is working with the American Library Association on this and is a regular at her local Public Library.

oak_and_cedar

@TLLK Thank you for the info. That's wonderful! Good on the National Literacy trust for these initiatives. It's good that Camilla chose a cause like this.

TLLK

You are very welcome @oak_and_cedar. These programs are excellent resources for communities with historically low levels of English language literacy. :thumbsup:

TLLK

Cartoon Camilla takes to the airwaves to help young writers ? Royal Central

Twitter

QuoteThe @BBCRadio2 500 Words competition is back for 2020, with The Duchess of Cornwall as Honorary Judge! 🖊️📚

Entries are now open for young writers aged 5-13 ➡️ http://bbc.co.uk/500words [/quote

The Duchess of Cornwall will again be one of the judges for the competition.

Princess Cassandra

Always a successful project. Perhaps many of the schools are encouraging their students to participate.

sandy

The cartoon Camilla is a bit much. IMO. Royals should not become animated characters.

TLLK

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on January 18, 2020, 12:07:53 AM
Always a successful project. Perhaps many of the schools are encouraging their students to participate.
Yes. It's always one of my favorite annual projects for Camilla's year. Also the Young Writers project. :happy:

TLLK

Camilla has more than a few literacy patronages/charities, so it's no surprise to me that she's created a list of books that she's enjoyed over the years.

The Duchess of Cornwall shares book recommendations for Easter isolation ? Royal Central

QuoteThe Duchess of Cornwall has shared nine books she recommends for those wanting to read over the Easter weekend in isolation.

On the Clarence House Twitter account, the Duchess of Cornwall shared a photo of her reading, taken by a member of staff. She also added a quote, ?Ernest Hemingway, famously, once said ?There is no friend as loyal as a book.? In these challenging times when we are isolated from the ones we love, many of us are finding comfort in reading, to fire up our imaginations, to take us on journeys and to make us laugh. With that in mind here is a list of my dearest ?friends?.?

Her nine book recommendations are:

Restless by William Boyd
    A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
    The Simon Serrailler Series by Susan Hill
    The Secret Commonwealth by Philip Pullman
    The Cazalet Chronicles by Elizabeth Jane Howard
    A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
    The Red Notebook by Antoine Laurain
    The Architect?s Apprentice by Elif Shafak
    Travels on my Elephant by Mark Shand

The last book is by the Duchess? late brother and she said, ?My late brother?s tale of his love affair with Tara, an Asian elephant, on their journey across in India? It always brings a tear to my eye.?

The Duchess of Cornwall is passionate about reading for all ages and promotes its importance through some of her patronages, including the Literacy Trust, the BookTrust, Coram Beanstalk and the Royal Society of Literature.

Princess Cassandra

She is a great reader, so I take her recommendations seriously. I am already reading Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities, but good as it is it is tiring, as most of his books are. I am a Dickens fan, but his books are complex and hard to get through, with so many characters to remember as the stories go on. I'm hoping that the other books on the list won't be so long.  Plus, I can't get to the library just now! Has anyone else read any of those books?

PrincessOfPeace

The Duchess of Cornwall has visited a primary school in south-east London to mark International Literacy Day, where the pupils greeted her with a poem written about their journeys to school that morning

Camilla welcomed to primary school with poetry reading - YouTube

TLLK

Camilla's devotion to her literacy patronages is admirable.

Amabel2

Quote from: TLLK on September 08, 2020, 08:37:10 PM
Camilla's devotion to her literacy patronages is admirable.
I never knew much about Camilla till recently and I was very surprised that she was such a reader.  It made me like her a lot  more. I think it really does mean something to her...

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: Amabel2 on September 09, 2020, 09:40:12 AM
I never knew much about Camilla till recently and I was very surprised that she was such a reader.  It made me like her a lot  more. I think it really does mean something to her...
Apparently she has always been a big reader.  She is also a grandmother now, and very much interacting with school aged children, so I imagine reading to them and seeing children learning to read themselves is of great interest to her.