Is it better or worse for the monarchy that Charles married the mistress?

Started by Monika, September 21, 2008, 11:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windsor

Divorce for royals has always been an otpion, just look at what King Henry VIII did... :P

Fabulous Fake

Apart from riding the bike around there is also the story of the chanting of, 'I've got Brenda's rocks.'........showing great respect there.

sandy

The Brenda's Rock story appeared in one of the less credible Diana books. It was not printed in any of the others even in Seward's tomes.

Divorce was NOT an option for Charles back in the eighties. At the time, the royals were in fear of another Edward VIII marrying a divorcee and abdicating. The Queen Mum was said to be particularly anxious about Charles' marrying. At the time, it was said that as a divorced man Charles could not stay in line of succession. And at the time, Diana was said to be relieved because she didn't want to be like her parents and be a divorced person. She thought the marriage had some security in it. This was all chronicled at the time of the engagement/marriage. And in mos tof the mainstream books re: Charles and Diana.

Also, for this reason Charles couldn't force a divorce and marry Camilla Parker Bowles. It would have placed him in the same spot as his great uncle.

But after years of negotiating, and even consulting the Court of Human Rights, Charles was able to marry the mistress (and both were divorced). This was UNHEARD of in the eighties.

Kate

Quote from: Windsor on October 08, 2008, 10:45:42 AM
Divorce for royals has always been an otpion, just look at what King Henry VIII did... :P

However, back in the 50's I recall that the Monarch would never meet a divorced person..A divorced person could never be presented at court ....
They may have been able to divorce but they would never again be seen in public with the monarch. So from that I would assume if a current royal ( at that time) wanted to divorce they knew they would never again be welcome to royal events, that would have included even Princess Margaret had she , for instance, had divorced in the 50's.
King Henry was a man driven by lust.. lust overcome all reason for a man..