Danish Monarchy Current Events and News Part 2

Started by sara8150, December 31, 2023, 09:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Nightowl

It will be very interesting to see what happens next with Fredrick and Mary, will they tour the country or go on a tour first?  I think Mary will be a good and strong queen, Fredrick, not so sure as at times he acts  like a wayward child wanting his own way.

Curryong

I?ll be watching the event live on Sky News, so it will be a question of staying awake for it in the early hours after midnight Aus time.

Curryong

No monarchy or Princedom or Grand Duchy in Europe has a Coronation. Only the UK. And imo the UK event is probably likely to be extremely pared down in the next sixty years or so, if the British monarchy lasts that long.

Curryong

Yes, I?ve just seen it live, from start (and before the start) to the finish. It was absolutely wonderful. Superb. The crowd were very cheerful. They sang a little at one stage. Unlike our Coronations the crowds could get very near the carriage and cars.
Queen Daisy (in red) was very dignified and seemed happy when she signed the documents. Crown Prince Christian was looking closely.
King Frederik was rather teary and emotional both at the ceremony and on the balcony. He and Mary got a wonderful reception from the crowd though. They smiled at each other, had a kiss. Josephine looked upset about something.

Curryong

The speech given by King Frederik X on Jan 14th, 2024 from the Balcony of Christiansborg Palace shortly after his accession:

My mother, Her Majesty Queen Margrethe the 2nd, has ruled Denmark for 52 years. For half a century, she has followed the times with our common heritage as a starting point.

She will always be remembered as a Monarch beyond the ordinary. Like few, my mother has managed to be at one with her kingdom. Today, the throne passes on.

My hope is to become an unifying king of tomorrow. It's a task I've been waiting for all my life. It is a responsibility I take on with respect, pride and great joy.

It is a deed I will take pains to carry out and carry through the position I have been entrusted with.

I need all the support I can get. From my beloved wife, from my family, from you and from that which is greater than us. I face the future knowing that I am not alone.

King Frederik?s motto. All Danish monarchs declare their own personal mottos upon their accession. Most mention God in some form but Frederik?s didn?t.
?Bound, committed, for the Kingdom of Denmark.?

sara8150

Quote from: Curryong on January 14, 2024, 02:33:34 PM
No monarchy or Princedom or Grand Duchy in Europe has a Coronation. Only the UK. And imo the UK event is probably likely to be extremely pared down in the next sixty years or so, if the British monarchy lasts that long.

Nope!! Just low key ceremony in UK coronation only not in European have coronation if former King or Queen survived who had abdication cant have coronation in European but only in London

sara8150

Crown Prince Christian of Denmark Steps Out for First Time as Heir

King Frederik and Queen Mary of Denmark Make First Appearance as Monarch

King Frederik, Queen Mary of Denmark Share Kiss amid Affair Rumors

Why Prince Christian of Denmark wasn't wearing military uniform for father King Frederik's historic accession | HELLO!
CP Christian not yet in military uniform

Crown Princess Mary of Denmark is every inch a Queen in angelic white outfit stitched by her wedding dressmaker | HELLO!
Newly Queen Mary chosen from wedding dress in 2004

Frederik X: Denmark has new King as Queen Margrethe II abdicates in historic moment for Europe?s oldest monarchy | World News | Sky News

Queen Margrethe of Denmark officially steps down as King Frederik X is crowned | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

https://www.itv.com/news/2024-01-14/king-charles-sends-best-wishes-to-denmarks-new-king-and-queen

New King Frederik and Queen Mary put on a united front as they greet cheering crowds as Margareth abdicates | The Sun
Article says And also will have no coronation in Denmark ?This is only the second time a Danish sovereign has stepped down - the last one was Erik III, almost nine centuries ago in 1146.? 878 years ago but almost 900 years ago ?No foreign dignitaries or royals were invited, and there is no coronation or throne for the new monarch.?

The King of Sweden sends poignant telegram to Queen Margrethe of Denmark on the day of her abdication ? Royal Central
King of Sweden send telegram message to current abduction Queen Margrethe

Curryong

I understood from what I have read that King Eric was more or less a hostage to his enemies and was forced to abdicate. That isn?t the case here.

And as for no Coronation, most Danes would think that sort of pomp and ornate ritual completely OTT. However I saw real love and interaction between those crowds and their new King and Queen today. Simple but also heartwarming. And no 80+ year old royals having to be propped up for official photos either, such as happened in London with Alexandra.

The crowds absolutely loved Frederik as they had loved Queen Daisy, for whom people came out in the cold last night and sang to her, the national anthem, next to the Palace. And the King hugged his younger daughter, and repeatedly pressed his hand against his heart as an expression of being at one with his cheering people. A people incidentally who are allowed to assemble very very near to their monarch?s Palaces.

And for myself. I thought it was all absolutely wonderful. And this King doesn?t have approval ratings lower than his non-working royal niece?s. So Charles can keep his good wishes to himself.

Curryong

Quote from: sara8150 on January 14, 2024, 03:58:09 PM
Princess Josephine, 13, is the Danish royal family's 'Prince Louis', body language expert says - as cheeky young royal steals the show on palace

Oh, pleeeze, why does everything always have to be compared to one or another of the Wales children by British tabloids? Typical of the Fail though! Princess Josephine is 13 not 5 like Louis. She is usually fine, a very calm and serene girl. I noticed she was a bit upset when the family first came out on the balcony. She wasn?t waving and looked to be on the brink of tears. It was probably the combination of a really big day, seeing her grandmother abdicate, her father a bit teary and the huge crowds.

And, by the way, the Danish news service has reported that Cr Prince Haakon and Prss M-M have arrived at the Palace for the evening celebrations which will include fireworks in the Tivoli Gardens.

Blue Clover

I watched Frederick take the throne today with Mary by his side and his children. It is an exciting day in Denmark! The large crowd gathered to witness the passing of the throne and wish the new monarch well. Queen Margrethe has served Denmark for decades. I hope she is well and transitions into a role she is happy with shortly.  Denmark is probably very emotional to see her move on from her service.

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on January 14, 2024, 02:40:30 PM
Yes, I?ve just seen it live, from start (and before the start) to the finish. It was absolutely wonderful. Superb. The crowd were very cheerful. They sang a little at one stage. Unlike our Coronations the crowds could get very near the carriage and cars.
Queen Daisy (in red) was very dignified and seemed happy when she signed the documents. Crown Prince Christian was looking closely.
King Frederik was rather teary and emotional both at the ceremony and on the balcony. He and Mary got a wonderful reception from the crowd though. They smiled at each other, had a kiss. Josephine looked upset about something.
Thank you @Curryong for your review of the Abdication and Ascension today. I just finished watching the video of the balcony proclamation.  It
clear that KFX was very emotional as was Queen Mary. CP Christian and his siblings were a range of expressions. Princess Isabella has her "game face" on while Josephine was a bit overwhelmed IMO.

Wonderful crowds today in very chilly Copenhagen.

sara8150

LouisFerdinand

@sara8150, Thank you for all the Danish royal videos.   

:stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars:

Curryong

As I posted before, I loved the accession ceremony and the proceedings before and afterwards, which I watched live all the way through, even if it was the early hours of the morning here in Australia!

It was indeed a real breath of fresh air to see the simplicity of it all, the dignity of Queen Margrethe, and the emotion and great love expressed between King Frederik, Queen Mary and the ordinary Danes out in the streets and in front of the palaces.

I still feel overcome by it to tell you the truth. Those cheers and the roar when the royal couple and their children appeared! Btw I would say there were more than the estimated 150,000 people out celebrating on the streets.