Lady Sarah Chatto and Family News and General Chat

Started by Blue Clover, January 31, 2019, 07:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Clover

A thread for Lady Sarah Chatto, Daniel Chatto and their family's news and general chat.

Christian Dior: Designer of Dreams exhibit features Princess Margaret's 21st birthday dress | Daily Mail Online

LouisFerdinand

It was nice that Lady Sarah and Daniel Chatto were accompanied by the Earl and Countess of Snowden.

royalanthropologist

It is interesting that although PM was known as a right little madam, she produced such well-behaved children. Her sister who was the dutiful one seemed to have come up a bit short in the mothering departments.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Princess Cassandra

I agree, that is very interesting.  Because of biographies we have information on the parenting styles of many royal women, but I've seen very little about Margaret as a mother. Mostly you heard about her personal life and the news was not usually about her children.

Curryong

In my bio on Margaret it says that when her children were very small she tended to leave things to the nanny. However, when David and Sarah got older both parents were sympathetic, interested and supportive parents. (Even after their divorce they continued this, though in private Margaret used to refer to Lord Snowdon as 'the Rat'!) They never forced their children along paths that were alien to their natures.

I think this was helped by the choice of boarding school for David and Sarah. Bedales has a strong emphasis on arts, crafts and creative pursuits. Margaret was always openly proud of her son's carpentry and design skills and her daughter's art work.

PrincessOfPeace

Princess Margarets grandson Arthur Chatto has begun an epic charity effort to raise 150,000 by rowing around the UK alongside three university friends.

The grandson of Princess Margaret, 20, who is 25th in line to the throne, posted a video as he began his 2,000 mile journey yesterday on his Instagram page.

The 20-year-old captioned the post: Finally underway on our row around Great Britain, after carefully self-isolating as a team, we left Tower Bridge at 2am on Sunday.

We are unbelievably proud to be supporting the British Red Cross COVID-19 response and Just One Ocean, committed to protecting our oceans for future generations.

Arthur Chatto rowing around UK to raise ?150k for charity | Daily Mail Online

Curryong

A tremendous feat and I hope this young man makes it!

TLLK

Good luck to Arthur and his team as they take on this challenge to raise funds for the British Red Cross and Just One Ocean.

TLLK

Sam Chatto Ceramics, Pottery, Art, and Shop

QuoteI?m Sam Chatto, a British artist and maker currently working in clay to create functional and sculptural wood fired ceramics, from my home and studio in West Sussex. I?ve always had a strong affinity with creating objects, having spent much of my childhood crafting imagined landscapes and sculptural models, which then naturally led me to clay during my later years at school, where I explored the possibilities of large scale hand built sculpture. My creative practice took a backseat while I studied History of Art at the University of Edinburgh (2014-2018) but was revived, in the summer of 2017, by a visit to North Shore Pottery while on a road trip around the coast of Scotland, where I met, and bombarded with questions, ceramic artist Jenny Mackenzie Ross.

Inspired by what I had seen in Scotland, and completely uninspired by my three month job working in the commercial art market, I spent my weekends setting up a small home studio in an attempt to rediscover my creativity and, with the guidance of Michael O?Brien and Philip Wood, built a wood fired kiln at the bottom of my garden. Under the tutelage of Maham Anjum and Philip, I learned to throw, turn, and glaze my own work and, on my 21st birthday, under the constant drizzle of soft summer rain, I carried out my first twelve hour firing, full of wonder and delight. Opening the kiln the next day to reveal all my transformed and finished creations was quite literally like opening a new door to a world that felt like the one I was made to inhabit.

Samuel is the eldest son of Lady Sarah and Daniel Chatto. Like his maternal grandfather, uncle and mother he is artistic.

Who are Samuel and Arthur Chatto | Tatler

QuoteThe most eagle eyed of royal-watchers may already be aware of Samuel and Arthur Chatto. The sons of Lady Sarah Chatto and Daniel Chatto, 23-year-old Sam and 21-year-old Arthur are two of the Queen?s great nephews, and are 25th and 26th in line to the throne respectively. Both boys attended Eton College, before moving on to the University of Edinburgh to study History of Art (Sam has now graduated, while Arthur is still a student). But despite their similar trajectories, the brothers have very different interests.

TLLK

:clap: Impressive! Wow so happy that he was able to raise that much money.

Curryong

Wow! Wonderful effort raising that amount of money by sheer physical effort and willpower. Well done Arthur!

PrincessOfPeace

The 22-year-old son of Lady Sarah Chatto, 57, has been accepted to train as an officer in the Royal Marines and told the Queen last week.

Princess Margaret's hunky grandson Arthur Chatto, 22, set to become first royal to join the Marines

Curryong

According to the Fail, Arthur is the first Royal since Pr Edward to join the Marines. No he isn?t, because he isn?t a royal. Honestly this rag gets worse and worse by the week!

TLLK

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on August 31, 2021, 08:05:24 PM
The 22-year-old son of Lady Sarah Chatto, 57, has been accepted to train as an officer in the Royal Marines and told the Queen last week.

Princess Margaret's hunky grandson Arthur Chatto, 22, set to become first royal to join the Marines
Congratulations to Arthur  Chatto!

QuoteAccording to the Fail, Arthur is the first Royal since Pr Edward to join the Marines. No he isn?t, because he isn?t a royal

@Curryong-This is why I believe that when the next reign begins, that there should be a clear designation for members of the "Royal House" who would perform duties on behalf of the monarchy and the British government and the wider "Royal Family." By that definition,  Arthur Chatto is part of latter as a member the extended Royal Family, but would not be considered as a member of the "Royal House." Which IMO would be made up of those who are listed on the Court Circular.

However I do realize that it's unlikely that the next monarch will take my advice. :wink:

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on August 31, 2021, 11:34:07 PM
  Congratulations to Arthur  Chatto!

@Curryong-This is why I believe that when the next reign begins, that there should be a clear designation for members of the "Royal House" who would perform duties on behalf of the monarchy and the British government and the wider "Royal Family." By that definition,  Arthur Chatto is part of latter as a member the extended Royal Family, but would not be considered as a member of the "Royal House." Which IMO would be made up of those who are listed on the Court Circular.

However I do realize that it's unlikely that the next monarch will take my advice. :wink:

Yes, I agree with you TLLK about the new reign. However, is Arthur Chatto even a member of the ?extended royal family? even now? He is the son of the niece of the Queen yes, but his mother isn?t of the direct line. Sarah Chatto is the daughter of a daughter, and as such holds no royal title, bar the courtesy title of an Earl?s daughter through her father Lord Snowden, who himself certainly wasn?t royalty.

Yes, Sarah is a much loved niece of HM but in the next reign (which is unlikely to be far off) she will be merely a cousin of King Charles, and Arthur a second cousin. His children will be second cousins once removed. What I mean is, when does the cut off point for supposedly being ?royal? begin and end?

It really begins to remind me of those Continental royals from defunct thrones which ended 122-240 years ago who still bear titles like Prince this and Count that because an forbear on the collateral side was once a monarch.
Of course Arthur Chatto is no doubt not referring to himself as royal, so why is a so-called newspaper doing so?

I?m not taking issue about the Fail calling Arthur ?royal? either, really. I?ve got used to their and other tabloid journalists? ignorance, errors like calling the Queen HRH, and other missteps over the years. Nothing surprises me about tabloids any more. 

wannable

Arthur Chatto has graduated and is a Lieutenant for the Royal Marines. Congratulations.

Princess Anne together with the Chatto family attended.

TLLK

Here's video from that event. Congratulations to Arthur and those in his graduating class!

Royal Marines Young Officers Batch 2021 Pass Out Parade at CTCRM 8th Dec 2022 ceremony highlights - YouTube

QuoteVery honoured to be present at the Royal Marines Young Officers Pass Out Parade, to welcome 44  new Royal Marines Officers and 1 San Marco Marine Brigade Officer into the Corps at CTCRM. VIP's in attendance were HRH Princess Royal, CGRM General Gwyn Jenkins, CB, OBE, ADC and Major General Julian Thompson, CB, OBE.

This is the largest RMYO Batch for 44 years and for the first time with a member of the Royal Family, Lt Arthur Chatto completing his training with his family also present, were Lady Sarah Chatto and Daniel Chatto. Congratulations to you all, fair winds and following seas.

LouisFerdinand

Now that Arthur Chatto has completed his service in the Royal Marines, what are his job prospects?

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on February 01, 2024, 08:36:21 PM
Now that Arthur Chatto has completed his service in the Royal Marines, what are his job prospects?

It depends on what sort of life he wants to undertake. Arthur, unlike his father and older brother Sam, doesn?t appear to be interested in a creative and artistic career. He?s well-connected, especially so as his mother is so close to her cousin the King. If he wanted a career in finance or banking that would give him a leg up into most firms in the City of London.