Reading suggestions - historical monarchs

Started by oak_and_cedar, April 24, 2021, 03:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oak_and_cedar

I have decided to read up on royal history this spring/summer and I have some very good books on Henry II, Henry VII (I believe it was, not a big fan of number 8!)

But! I would also like to read about either King Richard I or King John. Does anyone have a suggestion of a bio I can read? I haven't found one that is satisfactory to me.

Any contribution would be much appreciated!

If there are other great books, but not pertaining to those three monarchs please feel free to add them!

TLLK

@Curryong is one of our best read members when it comes to royal history. She's likely to have some suggestions on those particular monarchs.

oak_and_cedar

Yes, you're right TLLK. Hopefully Curryong will contribute as I know she must have some good suggestions!

Curryong

Thanks all for the compliments but I?m no medievalist. The 19th century, in particular the Victorians, is much more my cup of tea.

Have you tried ? King John: Treachery, Tyranny and the Road to Magna Carta? by Dr Marc Morris? It?s a few years since I read it, borrowed it from a friend, but I do remember enjoying it.

As for King Richard I, I remember reading the much vaunted book on him by the renowned medievalist Gillingham. No details of his personal life in there at all but masterly on his reign. Stuffed with facts but I?m afraid it put me to sleep a few times!

I?ll ask a friend who?s more interested in the medieval Kings that myself but as I?m out all day (it?s Anzac Day here) it might take a while.

oak_and_cedar

Thank you for the reply, Curryong. I've looked up both books and they are still accessible, i.e. I can purchase them brand new. I would like to know more about his reign (as I don't know practically anything apart from the crusades) so that book in particular seems very interesting. Shame there won't be much focus on the private side as well though.

I will definitely make a purchase. Thank you very much indeed!

Curryong

You are more than welcome, oak and cedar.

Macrobug67

This is a good overview of the crusades.  Not specific to your interest but it does give a nice introduction.  The Crusades: A Complete History | History Today

Birth of Richard the Lionheart | History Today
The Story of England: King John and the Charter | History Today
Death of King John | History Today
Good King John | History Today

The Opponents of King John | History Today

Several years ago there was a exhibit of the Magna Carta and the Forest Document in Ottawa.  I drove 11 hours round trip to see it.  It was worth it.

oak_and_cedar

Thank you Macrobug. I'll definetly look at those sites. I have the Richard site up right now :)

That exhibit must've been something spectacular.

Macrobug67

It was!  It was the 1300 exemplification of the Magna Carta ( first thing I learned was that there wasn?t A Magna Carta but multiple copies of it - each with their own additions etc) and it had signatures and the wax seals still attached - including that of Edward 1.  Same with the Forest document.  These are the property of Durham Cathedral and are normally displayed there.

It was quite educational and I recommend it to anyone with an interest in history or law

Curryong

King Edward I and Magna Carta in 1300 | Magna Carta Canada

Magna Carta from a Canadian point of view.

Plus, a version of the ancient copy that is here in Australia.

Magna Carta ? Parliament of Australia

Macrobug67

Ah...Carolyn Harris.  History Professor at University of Toronto.  I've listened to a few of her lectures, read lots of her articles, watched interviews and bought her book about Raising Royal Children. 

She knows her stuff.

She actually contacted RIF a few years back offering to write a column but was turned down.  Too bad, it would have been a great contribution.   But I got to write back and forth with her for a while. 

LouisFerdinand

MARIE_THERESE, CHILD OF TERROR: The Fate of Marie Antoinette's Daughter by Susan Nagel

oak_and_cedar

Quote from: Macrobug67 on April 25, 2021, 03:32:51 PM
It was!  It was the 1300 exemplification of the Magna Carta ( first thing I learned was that there wasn?t A Magna Carta but multiple copies of it - each with their own additions etc) and it had signatures and the wax seals still attached - including that of Edward 1.  Same with the Forest document.  These are the property of Durham Cathedral and are normally displayed there.

It was quite educational and I recommend it to anyone with an interest in history or law

I can quite understand why they don't take those sort of documents on 'tours' to museums all around the world. Still it would be quite something to see them. I actually would very much like to see that sort of historical document than say a painting, beautiful though those may be.

oak_and_cedar

Quote from: Macrobug67 on April 26, 2021, 12:27:59 AM
Ah...Carolyn Harris.  History Professor at University of Toronto.  I've listened to a few of her lectures, read lots of her articles, watched interviews and bought her book about Raising Royal Children. 

She knows her stuff.

She actually contacted RIF a few years back offering to write a column but was turned down.  Too bad, it would have been a great contribution.   But I got to write back and forth with her for a while.

Wait, She contacted RIF as in Royal insight forum? This forum? Why was she turned down?

wannable

I don't understand that either.

We've had famous posters in the RIF since its birth.

Macrobug67

I didn?t understand either.  I have a feeling I didn?t sell her well.  Also, she had not graduated yet - still working on her PhD at that point. 

But she is doing well.  And we can still access her stuff on line.  But if she ever did contact us again I would yell it from the mountain tops!!!

Macrobug67

Quote from: oak_and_cedar on April 28, 2021, 03:18:31 PM
I can quite understand why they don't take those sort of documents on 'tours' to museums all around the world. Still it would be quite something to see them. I actually would very much like to see that sort of historical document than say a painting, beautiful though those may be.

Oh, I could look at both....

A few years ago I got completely lost in Quebec City.  I went in a cathedral and got turned around.  I was by myself but I could hear the most beautiful music.  Finally found the source. It was a student group from the university - all strings.   They were playing in a small rotunda that was breathtakingly beautiful.   There also were some paintings and some displays of Quebec history.   So I had art, history, architecture and music all in one go.  I stayed there for over an hour.   
Then went and ate crepes.

oak_and_cedar

Quote from: Macrobug67 on April 28, 2021, 03:53:23 PM
Oh, I could look at both....

A few years ago I got completely lost in Quebec City.  I went in a cathedral and got turned around.  I was by myself but I could hear the most beautiful music.  Finally found the source. It was a student group from the university - all strings.   They were playing in a small rotunda that was breathtakingly beautiful.   There also were some paintings and some displays of Quebec history.   So I had art, history, architecture and music all in one go.  I stayed there for over an hour.   
Then went and ate crepes.

Now THAT sound like a perfect day !