Norweigan Monarchy Current Events

Started by TLLK, January 05, 2017, 10:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrincessOfPeace

Today Crown Prince Haakon visited Flekkefjord, Agder County, to learn about how the corona pandemic has affected the media and communications sector

PrincessOfPeace

Crown Prince Haakon has formally opened the 165th session of the Storting today

Pics: TT Nyhetsbyr?n

PrincessOfPeace

Queen Sonja received this years recipient of the Queen Sonja Print Award Ciara Phillips for an audience and afterwards hosted a luncheon

Queen Sonja Print Award 2020 - Det norske kongehus

TLLK

Crown Prince Haakon visits Norwegian World War Two detention camp ? Royal Central

QuoteCrown Prince Haakon, Regent of Norway, has visited the former Falstad prison camp in Tr?ndelag. During the visit to Falstad, Crown Prince Haakon met three school students from Trondheim and students from Ole Vig upper secondary school in Stj?rdal. The middle school students are all descendants of prisoners who were imprisoned at the Falstad camp.

His Royal Highness said during the visit: ?It is great that young people can come here and relive history. That way we are reminded of what freedom costs, because there were many who sacrificed a lot for us to have that freedom. We can not take our freedom for granted.?

PrincessOfPeace

On Saturday, Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway won the Norwegian National Junior Championship in surfing. The Princess won with 12.83 points in the Norwegian championship which was held at Borestranden beach in Jaeren, the western part of Norway. Crown Prince Haakon, Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Prince Sverre Magnus were also present to watch Princess Ingrid Alexandra in the competition.

Princess Ingrid Alexandra wins gold in Norway?s Junior National Championship in surfing ? Royal Central

Curryong

Congratulations to Prss Ingrid-Alexandra. She seems to be a very high achieving and down to earth young lady. A bright future ahead for Norway in the future.

TLLK

Congratulations to Ingrid Alexandra on winning the competition! @wannable-As our resident surfer, any thoughts on her victory?

wannable

I'm just learning through the RIF that she surfs.  Researching, there is a video of her father action surfing, so she got something sporty out of Haakon.

During my time as a professional and then Technical Director of the National Surfing Team for world surfing games, Norway is a ''developing'' surfing country, meaning they aren't Top 20 (yet), partly due to the fact that it's more pleasurable to surf in warmer chimes, which Norway isn't. 

The sport is extremely competitive now a days, many people living in coastal towns/cities, are taking it for many reasons, it's fun, an excellent way of exercising, for professional career at least viable until age 35, clothing and accessories sponsorship evened out, meaning if you are really good or physically appealing, that's a way of financial entry, many sport ministries will pay and or sponsor from health to education to housing for life. 

So, congratulations to Princess Ingrid, making it as a Junior Champion in a development surfing country or top 20 country is a thumbs up to me.

2021 Surfing is in the Japan Olympics  :thumbsup:

TLLK

Thank you @wannable for sharing your knowledge about the sport. Hope that Ingrid Alexandra continues to enjoy this activity for years to come.

TLLK

King Harald issues statement after landslide in Norway ? Royal Central

QuoteKing Harald has issued a statement after a massive landslide close to the Norwegian capital, Oslo, in the early hours of December 30th 2020. Just hours after the accident took place, His Majesty wrote:

?The night?s landslide in Gjerdrum has made a deep impression on me and my family. My thoughts are with everyone who is affected, injured, has lost their home and who now lives in fear and uncertainty about the full extent of the disaster. In a situation that is still confusing, I send a sincere hope and my warmest concern to all those affected by the disaster. I would also like to thank all the emergency services, the municipalities in the immediate area and volunteers for their great efforts under very demanding conditions.?

It was early on Wednesday morning that a large mudslide occurred in Gjerdurum, outside the capital Oslo. There are children among the 15 people who have not been accounted for, said the police at a press conference. A Swedish crisis team has been sent to Gjerdrum from Gothenburg to assist the Norwegians.

More than 1,500 residents in the area are being evacuated and police are looking for survivors. Throughout the day, the landslide has continued and houses have collapsed with some falling into ruin as live TV cameras filmed them. It is the largest and most serious accident of its kind in Norway in over 30 years. Prime Minister Erna Solberg and Minister of Justice Monica M?land visited the area while the landslide is still going on. More than 100 people from ambulances and the military are now working in the area to search for survivors.

Curryong

That's awful, brings back memories of the slag heap disaster in Aberfan, Wales in the 1960s, actually, with news of children missing. Its good that the King has issued a very sincere statement of sympathy. I suppose there have been severe rain/snow falls in the area lately.

TLLK

According to one of the Scandinavian posters on the big forum, Norway has issues with liquefaction where saturated soil and seismic movement can turn the ground into mush. He also said that authorities are asking people NOT to call their missing relatives as they're trying to locate them through their  phones' signals and calls use up batteries. Let's hope that their is minimal loss of life and that survivors can be found.

TLLK

King Harald, Queen Sonja and Crown Prince Haakon visit victims of landslide ? Royal Central

QuoteKing Harald, Queen Sonja and Crown Prince Haakon have marked the beginning of the new Norwegian royal year in a sad way. The three royals visited the people of Gjerdrum after the catastrophic quick clay landslide that started on December 30th 2020. So far, seven people have been confirmed dead, while three people are still missing. Another ten people are injured and still more than 1.000 are evacuated in the fear that the landslide may continue.

The royal couple and Crown Prince Haakon travelled to the affected area on January 3rd 20221 and met evacuees and relatives, as well as representatives of municipalities and emergency services who have worked continuously since the landslide in parts of the city of Ask in Gjerdrum. The royal couple praised emergency services and volunteers.

To the press after the visit His Majesty the King said: ?We have had a moving day behind us. I have trouble finding things to say, because this is absolutely awful.?

This is the second year in a row that the NRF have had a tragic start to the New Year. Last year's sad beginning was  due to the death of Ari Behn (Princess Martha Louise's former husband  and father of their three daughters.).

Curryong

Yes, with M-M's health continuing to be a worry as well, the NRF have had a rotten few years. This latest mudslide, though reasonably common in Norway has probably had a devastating effect upon the whole country. By the way, has Queen Sonja got a secret supply from the fountain of youth in her room? The woman is an absolute miracle!

TLLK

@Curryong-It is amazing!! AFAIK she's not gone  with the obvious plastic surgery route but she might do some discreet treatments. I don't believe that she's a smoker and appears to have very good genes.

I am officially jealous. I've never smoked and avoided using straws. Have used moisturizer/sunscreen religiously since my early twenties but I still have ended up with lines around my upper and lower lips. Honestly I believe for me it's genetics and I tend to be very expressive with my face.  I should have perfected the "resting  face." :D

Curryong

Smoking certainly makes a difference. My step-mother in law was a very heavy smoker for most of her life and it showed around her lips with very heavy lines. I do think that most of us get lines around the mouth though, including me, and I would guess it's because the mouth area is a very mobile part of the body really, isn't it?

I would imagine that Sonja has lived a very healthy outdoor lifestyle, hiking, skiing etc, and has probably taken very good care of her skin. Unlike hotter climes Norwegians have little trouble with sun damaged skin. Plus, as you say, so much is genetic as well as lifestyle. I don't think I've ever seen photos of Sonja's mother in old age. Maybe she too had eternal youth! 

TLLK

Crown Prince Haakon marks Norway?s entry to the UN Security Council ? Royal Central

QuoteCrown Prince Haakon of Norway has participated in a digital meeting with the team that will lead the Norwegian efforts in the United Nations Security Council for the next two years. From the Skaugum Estate in Norway, Crown Prince Haakon attended the digital meeting on January 6th 2021 with the Norwegian UN team in New York and Foreign Minister, Ine Eriksen S?reide, in Oslo. Earlier in the day, the Foreign Minister had made her first speech to the Security Council.

In the meeting His Royal Highness said: ?I hope you are ready for the tasks that await you. Now the real work begins. International cooperation is important, and through the United Nations, we have the opportunity to find solutions that make people?s lives better. In addition, for the UN to function, the countries that believe in the organization must take their share of the work. Norway is ready to do that now.?

The Security Council is the UN?s supreme body for international peace, stability and security. Through the UN Charter, the Security Council has the power to impose sanctions or military action, and all 193 UN member states must comply with the Council?s decisions.

PrincessOfPeace

PrincessOfPeace

A greeting from the King and Queen on the occasion of 30 years on the throne

Kongeparet 30 ?r p? tronen - YouTube

TLLK

Thirty year anniversary for their son and heir too.

Haakon, thirty years as heir ? Royal Central
QuoteThough King Harald and Queen Sonja are marking 30 years on the throne this year, there?s another anniversary in Norway to commemorate as well: Crown Prince Haakon?s 30 years as the heir apparent to the throne.

Born on 20 July 1973, Haakon has been destined for the Norwegian throne since birth, as absolute primogeniture had not yet taken effect in Norway until 1990 (otherwise, his older sister, Princess M?rtha Louise, would have been the heir). In his early years, Haakon attended royal functions only as necessary, but as he became the Crown Prince of Norway in 1991, his role and responsibilities have increased.

Only 17 when his father ascended to the throne, Haakon began the traditional royal route for an heir to the throne: military service and higher education. He joined the Royal Norwegian Navy and studied at the Norwegian Naval Academy before spending a year at sea aboard missile torpedo boats and other naval vessels. His current military ranks are Admiral in the Royal Norwegian Navy; and General in both the Norwegian Army and the Royal Norwegian Air Force.

Haakon attended the University of California in Berkley, graduating in 1999 with a political science degree, and followed that up with coursework at the University of Oslo and the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (taking the civil servant introductory course) in 2001. He was also a trainee with the Norwegian delegation to the United Nations, and in 2003, he received a Masters of Science in Development Studies, focusing on international trade and Africa, from the London School of Economics.

TLLK

Crown Prince Haakon makes a surprise visit to Oslo?s fishermen ? Royal Central

QuoteFrom the harbour close to Oslo City Hall, Crown Prince Haakon opened the digital event ?The Seafood Days? but added his own surprise. During the event, on January 19th 2021, the Crown Prince walked down to the harbour from the Royal Palace to make a surprise visit to the fishing boats who are anchored there. There, the Crown Prince met several of the various shrimp boats and fishermen who sell fish on the quay daily. Fish has traditionally been an extremely important Norwegian export product.

At the harbour Crown Prince Haakon talked to fisherman, Sigurd-Andre Kristoffersen, who is the skipper of the shrimp trawler ?Vikingen?. As one of the approximately 92,000 people working in the seafood industry in Norway, he was able to tell about his experiences over the past year. For someone who usually docks in Oslo and sells shrimp and other delicacies from the sea directly to tourists and the population of Oslo, he has also noticed the effects of the pandemic.

In his opening speech the Crown Prince said: ?Norway is a nation of harbours. We have always lived in, and from, what nature has given us. It has helped to give us today?s prosperity and wealth. This can also be the case in the future, if we manage to collaborate and contribute to global, sustainable solutions. That is why you play a key role in the seafood industry in Norway?s future?.

TLLK

Crown Prince Haakon speaks of inclusivity on anniversary of racist murder that shocked Norway ? Royal Central

QuoteCrown Prince Haakon has commemorated the murder of Benjamin Hermansen, twenty years after his racial killing shocked Norway. The Crown Prince sent a digital message on the 20th anniversary of his death.

Benjamin Hermansen was killed in the infamous ?Holmila-murder? on January 26 in 2001. He was just 15 years old and he was killed because he was black. Two Norwegian neo-Nazis were later convicted of the murder. Benjamin?s death had a deep impact across Norway and is considered to have had a major effect the on the Norwegian anti-racism movement.

Despite strict infection control measures, several hundred candles had been lit by a bust of the killed 15-year-old which has been erected at the place where he was killed. The Crown Prince wanted to participate in person in the commemoration but due to the strict infection control rules he had to take part remotely. In his digital message, Crown Prince Haakon said: ?I want to thank all of you who every day stand up for a better society. A society that is safe and inclusive for all.?

The murder of Benjamin made a deep impression on an entire nation. Following the murder in 2001, Crown Prince Haakon, Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Princess Martha Louise, along with many thousands of others, took part in torchlight processions through the streets of Oslo to commemorate the young boy and to show that Norway will not accept racism and violence. More than 40.000 people participated in the torchlight procession in 2001. In 2002, Crown Prince Haakon met Marit Hermansen, Benjamin?s mother.

TLLK

Crown Prince Haakon meets Norwegian sailors keeping essential goods moving ? Royal Central

QuoteCrown Prince Haakon of Norway has met four Norwegian sailors on board ships around the world in a digital chat to show his support for their ongoing work. His Royal Highness wanted to thank the many Norwegian sailors who work every day to ensure that essential goods are transported during the ongoing pandemic.

About 80 % of the world?s retail trade is transported by sea. Crown Prince Haakon also met with representatives of the seafarers? organizations and the shipping industry during the digital voyage. His Royal Highness said to the sailors: ?Thank you for your efforts to keep society and the vessels going.

Director Harald Solberg of the Norwegian Shipowners? Association began the meeting by talking about how crucial ships are for us all to get what we need in everyday life, for industry and for energy production at sea. The Norwegian fleet is the world?s fourth largest in value and Norwegian shipping companies operate about 1800 ships and rigs worldwide.

TLLK

Crown Prince Haakon celebrates the 125th anniversary of the Norwegian Farmers? Association ? Royal Central

QuoteHis Royal Highness Crown Prince Regent Haakon of Norway has sent a digital greeting to the Norwegian Farmers? Association, thanking the organisation for 125 years of protecting Norwegian agriculture and suitable working conditions for farmers. In his message, Crown Prince Haakon emphasised his thanks to the association for providing short-haul food of high quality during the pandemic and for Norwegian farmers contributing to increased food security.

His Royal Highness said: ?Thank you for taking environmental considerations into account and are concerned with managing our resources in a good way. Thank you for your tenacity and perseverance which is absolutely necessary for farming under demanding conditions. Thank you for your creativity, which we constantly see examples of in the development of new additional industries and adjustment to new times.?

The Norwegian royal family has been linked to agriculture since 1905 through the Bygd? royal farm and the Skaugum farm. During a visit to farmers in Stokke in Vestfold last autumn, Crown Prince Haakon met farmers who had been affected by the pandemic. The Crown Prince visited a vegetable packing plant and two farms to hear how the agricultural industry has experienced the corona situation.

TLLK

CP Mette Marit participates in a podcast for her first solo event in nearly one year.

Crown Princess Mette Marit on first solo event in almost a year ? Royal Central

QuoteOn Sunday last week, Crown Princess Mette Marit shared some news in a fresh post on Instagram. She confirmed that she has been a guest in a well-known Norwegian podcast. This is the Crown Princess? very first assignment alone in almost a year. The last time the Crown Princess did an assignment all alone was when she visited the activity house in Sandvika on 27 February last year.

In the picture published by Her Royal Highness we get to see the actor, podcaster and stand-up comedian Else K?ss Furuseth. Else K?ss Furuseth also shared an update on her profile where she made it clear that she and the Crown Princess recorded an episode of Furuseth?s popular podcast.

Her Royal Highness has had several assignments with the Crown Prince, but that the Crown Princess has assignments on her own is not particularly common due to her lung disease. The Crown Princess? participation in the podcast was not in the royal court?s public calendar, nor is it known at this time what the two were talking about or when the episode will be published.