UK-Historic and contemporary royal palaces, residences, estates, castles

Started by Blue Clover, January 27, 2019, 02:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

So many factors at play here regarding Balmoral. No doubt QEII and her advisors had a plan in place had the independence vote won.

Princess Cassandra

One thing is for sure: The family will plan it out way in advance. There could be many options - just look at what the POW has done with Dumfries House. He will not want a property with so much family history to be lost.

Curryong

I don't think anyone is saying that Balmoral will go or be broken up in Charles's time. In fact it's almost certain that it won't be as he is very fond of the whole estate. However, I don't think it can be argued that William has the same feeling as his father about either the castle or the estate. When William goes on shoots they mostly take place in Norfolk.

Except for very short annual stays with his father at Birkhall he and his family are rarely in the Highlands. And George of course accompanies his parents. Wherever they go so goes he. Of course, George may discover a great love for the Balmoral estate as an adult. We just don't know.

However Sandringham and Norfolk have been William's favourite getaways since boyhood and of course Anmer is there. It's just speculation, but IMO if an estate is pretty well ignored most of a person's life (and William is now in his late thirties) there's not much chance of that individual falling in love with it in middle age and older. (Otoh Charles isn't a great fan of Sandringham. He escapes to Birkhall and the Castle of Mey whenever he can.)

wannable

I'm going to link here to not open another BP renovation thread.

Because of the renovations in Buckingham Palace, which will take approx. 5 more years, the Queen's collection will be moved to a ''green house'' at Windsor Castle. 

Apparently the permission to construct the green house is meeting problems.

The DM has a thorough article, the Windsor request to build, the aerial photography of where (quite near Frogmore Cottage), etc.

The Queen is battling to build a huge storage centre for her artwork near Prince Harry and Meghan Markle?s Frogmore Cottage after Windsor planners said the development could cause flooding
Her Majesty's priceless Royal Collection must move from Buckingham Palace
Queen's London home undergoing ?369m refurbishment lasting five years
Giant green warehouse planned for Windsor Castle's grounds near Harry's home
But planners unhappy 23,000ft building could cause flooding and be eyesore
Experts ask for more planning to be done or pledge to throw up application
Queen is battling to build a huge storage centre for her Buckingham Palace artwork | Daily Mail Online

Curryong

I think the Queen will hate missing her Balmoral holiday this year. She uses that annual break  in Scotland to really relax among the surroundings she loves. It's  a bit dramatic to state that she will hardly be seen again by the public for the rest of her life, however I do believe that this virus means that her inevitable stepping away from certain royal duties and appearances will be speeded up somewhat once all this is over. It will be inevitable that Charles will step to the forefront more and more.

Also, sadly I do think that the more formal times of my childhood where royals rarely touched members of the public except perhaps for the shake of a gloved hand are likely to return, especially for older royals (and that means most of the present RF.)

TLLK

Thank you for the information @sara8150 .

Sadly I have to agree @Curryong that she's going to miss the serenity and peace of Balmoral which is one of the few places where she can truly relax and unwind. I also concur that (unless some drastic change occurs) this is likely going to be the beginning of just a short time away from public duties. Hopefully in the fall we can see more of the BRF returning to public duties while following the health protocols.

The only silver lining that might possibly be that BP's ongoing restoration/repair work can continue uninterrupted.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: TLLK on May 11, 2020, 10:30:11 PM
Thank you for the information @sara8150 .

Sadly I have to agree @Curryong that she's going to miss the serenity and peace of Balmoral which is one of the few places where she can truly relax and unwind. I also concur that (unless some drastic change occurs) this is likely going to be the beginning of just a short time away from public duties. Hopefully in the fall we can see more of the BRF returning to public duties while following the health protocols.

The only silver lining that might possibly be that BP's ongoing restoration/repair work can continue uninterrupted.
Right TLLK; it's better she's not around BP and perhaps it will expedite the renovations if she is not there. I must say I don't understand why she can't go to Balmoral. The air up there is so healthy and they both need to spend time outside. They are so closed in at Windsor Castle. Perhaps if things keep improving they may change their mind about Scotland.

wannable

Balmoral usually is deeply cleaned each year before her arrival, add to that IF she goes, they'd need to clean and disinfect, high vulnerable age. The personnel at B are all working for the Covid19.  Posted in another thread, under POW's board. 

The family triangle, check it out in a map, Q at Windsor, POW at Balmoral/Birkhall, Cambridge's at Sandringham/Amner.

wannable

According to the Sun, Lord Chamberlain sent an email to Her Majesty's employees at BP/Windsor Castle.

2 very important issues: 1. GBP 18Million hole from tourism that is used to pay staff and 2. The Queen has/will have no diary until 2022 (may change but she is in the most elderly/vulnerable age)

An email to staff from the Lord Chamberlain warns of a ?17.8million shortfall, a third of annual royal income.
Aides have also torn up the Queen?s diary for the next two years over Covid-19.
But they say the continuing uncertainty has forced them to place under review her diary of engagements until 2022, by which time she will be 96.
One said: ?We just can?t make any plans as we don?t know what will happen. The virus has had a cataclysmic effect.?

Last year tourism earned the ?royals more than ?70million from ticket and souvenir sales.
The email from the Lord Chamberlain Earl Peel, head of the Royal Household, warned staff that income is expected to fall by a third this year, nearly ?18million.
Earl Peel spelled out the dire ?situation to employees who now face a pay freeze and job cuts.
He said: ?The crisis has already tested our resilience, adaptability and preparedness in many ways and at all levels across the organisation. It has also had a significant impact on the activities of the whole Royal Household.
Queen hit by ?18m hole in finances after shutting palaces to tourists because of virus lockdown ? The Sun

Princess Cassandra

Of course they have to plan for the worst, but all the medical experts are saying the virus will be dormant during the summer and will return in the fall. I still don't see why they have already cancelled Balmoral. I think she needs to get up there, ride, walk and do whatever she likes to do, enjoying the brisk and healthy air.

QueenAlex

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on May 29, 2020, 03:15:29 AM
Of course they have to plan for the worst, but all the medical experts are saying the virus will be dormant during the summer and will return in the fall. I still don't see why they have already cancelled Balmoral. I think she needs to get up there, ride, walk and do whatever she likes to do, enjoying the brisk and healthy air.
There are restrictions on travelling. One of the PM's advisers has just been In trouble for travelling 200 miles to his father's home because of some complicated child care issues.   The queen is safe at Windsor, no need for her to go up north.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: QueenAlex on May 29, 2020, 09:29:22 AM
There are restrictions on travelling. One of the PM's advisers has just been In trouble for travelling 200 miles to his father's home because of some complicated child care issues.   The queen is safe at Windsor, no need for her to go up north.
I agree with the current situation, I just think they could wait a bit before cancelling plans for August. I wonder if she is able to get to walk her dogs in Windsor Great Park as she likes to do, as nobody else is allowed there.

wannable

That's great, thank you for sharing. The article says Charles and Camilla are back in London, Clarence House.

sara8150

Royal news: check out the palaces re-opening to visitors this summer | HELLO!

Kensington Palace is opening must have mask for social distancing 😷

Hampton Court Palace is opening must have mask for social distancing 😷

The Tower of London is opening must have mask for social distancing 😷

Hillsborough Castle is opening must have mask for social distancing 😷

Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace still closed due coronavirus (COVID-19)

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: sara8150 on July 01, 2020, 09:07:57 PM
The Queen won't let pandemic stop her summer holiday in Scotland - report | HELLO!

The Queen will take her annual summer holiday to Balmoral when lockdown restrictions on over-70s are lifted

Queen's rangers furious as tourists caught short go to the loo in Balmoral grounds - Mirror Online
Problems with the loo known as restroom!! Before HM Queen and Duke of Edinburgh arrived at balmoral for traditional holidays
Thanks for posting. It really makes sense for them to be in Scotland....fresh air and not many people to be encountered, and it can be managed to keep them safe.

wannable

The Telegraph, Camilla Tominey got hold of the latest internal memo from BP, 250 personnel will be made redundant. 

Buckingham Palace staff face job cuts amid speculation Queen will not return to London after summer
The Telegraph has seen an internal memo warning that Royal household 'may not be fully operational until 2021'
The Telegraph

@copyrights purchased by the Daily Mail

Has the Queen left London forever? 'Up to 250 royal staff are offered voluntary redundancy' amid doubts monarch will return to Buckingham Palace - as Covid takes ?18m toll on her finances
The Royal Family are feeling the financial effects of the coronavirus pandemic 
Between 175 and 250 royal staff are facing voluntary redundancies this month
There are doubts over whether the Queen will ever return to Buckingham Palace
Hundreds of royal staff 'are being axed with up to 250 offered voluntary redundancy' | Daily Mail Online

Princess Cassandra

Regarding BP, it's a wise move. Renovations are taking place there and perhaps without visitors during the summer and residents after the summer the costs will be reduced.  The longer the project the greater the costs. This makes me wonder what BP will be during the next reign. The POW seems to enjoy Clarence house, which is smaller and more manageable, and the Cambridges already have a London base. Perhaps it will be like some European palaces that are used for certain functions and are tourist destinations only. The gardens are lovely there and the artwork is amazing. I'm sure it will not be abandoned, but how does everyone think it will be utilized?

QueenAlex

It will probably be kept as offices and for tourists.  And there are royals who have apartments there who may keep them up...But Charles may well keep Clarence as his main London residence...