The Wedding of Prince Andrew and Sarah, Duchess of York

Started by Kritter, March 18, 2018, 02:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kritter

Royal Weddings: The Wedding of Prince Andrew and Sarah, Duchess of York ? Royal Central

QuoteThe second big royal wedding of the 1980s was, at the time, seen as a something of a turning point for the Windsors. When Prince Andrew married Sarah Ferguson in the summer of 1986, the bride was billed as a more relaxed royal who would bring a new outlook to the dynasty while her groom?s service in the Falklands War of 1982 was still fresh in the memory. The handsome hero prince and his fun filled bride were set to open a new chapter in the royal story and their wedding day encapsulated all the hope that surrounded the couple at the time.

TLLK

IMO this was the happiest wedding for any of QEII and the DoE's children.  :crazylove:

amabel

Hmm,  nice wedding shame about the marriage...  But Sarah did look nice, her dress was very suitable.  I think that in spite of her OTT taste in clothes, she got it right that day...

TLLK

IMO this was one of Sarah's best days fashion wise.

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on March 18, 2018, 04:23:46 PM
IMO this was one of Sarah's best days fashion wise.
yes poor thng.  Almost her only day that she made the best of herself. I think that she perhaps profited from seeing Diana's dress, which was lovely but maybe a bit OTT.. and with her own choice, she opted for a Victorian romantic look that was "slimmed down". 

TLLK

IMO Sarah's dress was very flattering to her figure. Personally I wouldn't have added the OTT bows or quite as much embellishment but it was  a tribute to his career and her own coat of arms.

Curryong

Yes, Sarah's gown and hair were very much of their day of course, but nevertheless she did look lovely, tons of glittery crystals, embroidered large 'A's' and anchors on her veil notwithstanding! Both she and Andrew looked extremely joyful as well, (which was in contrast to Charles's strained expression in 1981.)

It's funny how some wedding gowns date while others stand up quite well, though I do still have a certain fondness for Diana's dress for all sorts of reasons. I think Sarah's tiara hidden by flower wreath idea was quite a clever one, but it was a one-off. And Sarah was extremely lucky that the Queen was so happy that she bought her a tiara.

TLLK

If I had to select a BRF wedding dresse from the 1970's-1980's-Sarah's would be my favorite, though Anne's would be a close second.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Top 10 Best Royal Wedding Dresses: #5. Sarah, Duchess of York

amabel

Quote from: Curryong on March 18, 2018, 07:43:12 PM
Yes, Sarah's gown and hair were very much of their day of course, but nevertheless she did look lovely, tons of glittery crystals, embroidered large 'A's' and anchors on her veil notwithstanding! Both she and Andrew looked extremely joyful as well, (which was in contrast to Charles's strained expression in 1981.)

It's funny how some wedding gowns date while others stand up quite well, though I do still have a certain fondness for Diana's dress for all sorts of reasons. I think Sarah's tiara hidden by flower wreath idea was quite a clever one, but it was a one-off. And Sarah was extremely lucky that the Queen was so happy that she bought her a tiara.
I thought that she had flwoers in he hair and then put on a tiara after the wedding.  I would have said that a tiara would be hard to hide... Yes she was lucky the queen bought her a tiara, I doubt if she would be happy now to think she spent money on it, when Sarah was such a disaster

Curryong

That bridal wreath of flowers worn by Sarah was pretty high.
In this article about the York tiara, it describes how the blusher and flowers were removed to reveal the jewellery.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The York Diamond Tiara

amabel

Quote from: Curryong on March 19, 2018, 01:19:33 PM
That bridal wreath of flowers worn by Sarah was pretty high.
In this article about the York tiara, it describes how the blusher and flowers were removed to reveal the jewellery.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The York Diamond Tiara

sounds pretty peculiar.. not to mention heavy..

sandy

Fergie was criticized for mugging outrageously as she walked down the aisle. A sign of trouble perhaps...

LouisFerdinand

I like Sarah's walk down the aisle. The music for the bridal possession was Imperial March.   
ROYAL WEDDING 1986 - Andrew & Sarah (2 of 9) - YouTube

sandy

No this was on the way out of the Cathedral not the walking to the altar. I saw clips of it.

TLLK

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on March 19, 2018, 07:30:15 PM
I like Sarah's walk down the aisle. The music for the bridal possession was Imperial March.   
ROYAL WEDDING 1986 - Andrew & Sarah (2 of 9) - YouTube
Thank you for sharing the link to the bridal procession. So enjoyed seeing then little Prince William, Laura Fellowes and Zara Phillips in their page/bridesmaid outfits.

LouisFerdinand

Quote from: sandy on March 19, 2018, 07:54:37 PM
No this was on the way out of the Cathedral not the walking to the altar. I saw clips of it.
@sandy, This would have been the procession to the altar. Sarah Margaret is wearing the crown of flowers. She is not wearing a tiara yet.

amabel

well according to reports she was wearing one under the  flowers...

FanDianaFancy

https://78.media.tumblr.com/972b4f1d21c59aa52408b18397b27074/tumblr_nabln6CudG1t63lddo10_500.jpg

Sarah and Andrew  meeting as children. This  picture  is not one of him facing the camera. She  is  and  QEII is there.

To

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/10/50/2b/10502b5f8f459af3c693c8c662814237--lady-diana-spencer-sarah-ferguson.jpg
Sarah and Diana, who was looking waaaaay  tooooo  skinny here, in this picture.

Sarah and Andrew had  it all and were meant  to  be.
he  was : light, breath of fresh  air,  liked by  QEII and PP, a  friend  for PD  BUT  Sarah got greedy and bored (toe sucking  by  one of the Texans).
If it had just ben the greed, well that  could  have  been changed with some  good stern  cutbacks,  rebudgeting, and  pr  work.
the infidelity  was the  worst and  final straw.

Yeah, PD  had affairs, but she  was born LadyDFS. She was mother of the future  KofE.
She  was cheated on.
Se  never had  intimate pictures out there.
She  was different.

Then Sarah   never learned  and  kept  on  with crazy  antics.

To topic, yes, their  wedding was  of a real couple in love and  two honest people.

royalanthropologist

I actually felt sad when the Andrew/Sarah marriage ended. Neither party is malicious or set out to harm the other. They just failed to make it work. I am always hopeful that one day when DOE is gone, they will reunite. It would be a wonderful story of compromise and learning as you grow.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

sandy

Sarah going to a lover bringing her child with her and the lover holding the baby (the photo was uncovered) and the toe sucking with another man must have been hurtful to her husband.

royalanthropologist

Yes Sarah's actions may have hurt Andrew (and by extension BRF) but I have never ever got the impression that Sarah had any malicious streak. She is disorganized and profligate but I am yet to hear anyone describe her as being either manipulative or vindictive or even malicious. Ditto for Andrew. It would be great news if they were able to get back together. They are certainly the very definition of civilized co-parenting. No competing for attention to be the best and certainly no badmouthing each other to the press or anyone for that matter. I think they make a good couple, warts and all.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Curryong

Yes, she probably means no malice. However with Sarah I'm always reminded of the old saw 'The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.'

sandy

The thing is Andrew loved Fergie when he married her and most likely still does. She cheated on  him. Which must have hurt Andrew. The reason was she got "bored" with Andrew so she spent money like water and took on lovers. It's all on her.

TLLK

Quote from: royalanthropologist on April 04, 2018, 05:36:26 AM
I actually felt sad when the Andrew/Sarah marriage ended. Neither party is malicious or set out to harm the other. They just failed to make it work. I am always hopeful that one day when DOE is gone, they will reunite. It would be a wonderful story of compromise and learning as you grow.
IMO the long separation due to Andrew's RN posting didn't help the situation at all. Sarah was alone at BP for months unlike other RN spouse who lived in base housing.

sandy

Sarah got bored with him when was home, he enjoyed golfing and watching TV (he was called a couch potato) so I don't give her any excuses. Wives do not all cheat when their husbands are away.