Kate Middleton: an old-fashioned royal-in-waiting

Started by wannable, April 17, 2011, 03:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannable

For a royal role model, Kate Middleton would be wise to look not to Diana, Princess of Wales but the late Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, finds Olga Craig

QuoteThough rightly anxious, she is embracing her role and relishing her initiation into The Firm in a manner which her unhappy predecessor was unable to achieve.
Of course, there has been a wealth of help and preparation: the protocol experts; the Bishop of London's marriage advice. There have been practical tips on how to wave without separating one's fingers, how to maintain eye contact and engage the public. (However, Kate has resisted a make-up artist and is keen to develop her own distinctive, though muted, dress style.) But much more important has been the one thing her late mother-in-law believed, perhaps erroneously, that she was denied: a supportive, encouraging and reassuring husband-to-be.
"Prince William has been all three, and the result is the poised young woman we see," says Jephson.   

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/royal-wedding/kate-middleton/8455965/Kate-Middleton-an-old-fashioned-royal-in-waiting.html

For proper discussion, I'd read the entire article, if not I'd be quoting the entire copyrights.

Iseult

Good article, but horrible photo of William and Kate. 

I have to agree that Kate would do well to follow in the footsteps of the Queen Mother who was IMO what a royal consort should be. Yes, times have changed, but within the royal family it still remains that the monarch is the star of the show, the heir is next in importance and so on, down the line of succession. The consort's job is to support the person they married, not to compete with them. Unfair? No, not at all. They know that the price they pay for entry into the royal family (and let's face it, they often have to see off many other contenders for the job) is to play the junior partner in the relationship, at least insofar as when on royal business, public engagements, etc. Behind the scenes they may well exert a lot of influence over the royal person they married, as the Queen Mother did on the King, and as Prince Philip is said to have done over the years on the Queen.

I'm betting Kate knows all this very well and she'll  never do anything to rock the royal boat in any way. She's a lot smarter than many have given her credit for, she's put up over the years with a lot of nastiness from the tabloid press, but in the end she's had the last laugh, she's the one sitting pretty now .... and some day will sit on the consort's throne, as long as she plays the part mapped out for her.

SophieChloe

Quote from: Iseult on April 17, 2011, 04:52:32 PM
I'm betting Kate knows all this very well and she'll  never do anything to rock the royal boat in any way. She's a lot smarter than many have given her credit for, she's put up over the years with a lot of nastiness from the tabloid press, but in the end she's had the last laugh, she's the one sitting pretty now .... and some day will sit on the consort's throne, as long as she plays the part mapped out for her.
Marrying into royalty is not a "laugh" - I fear this is what Kate Middleton think it will be like - it's meant to be a duty and priviledge not "sitting pretty" - as for sitting on a throne - is that what she always wanted, well will you tell her or shall I.  Are you suggesting she is playing a "part"? Sorry if I sound cross, but I am cross, Royalty is not meant to be a joke  :nono: Not when I and millions of others are paying for her.  Rant over
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

wannable

I'm sure after all the years of 'waiting' she knows more than any other about what her role and the BRF entails.

SophieChloe

Quote from: wannabe on April 17, 2011, 05:28:41 PM
I'm sure after all the years of 'waiting' she knows more than any other about what her role and the BRF entails.
Let's hope so, duty, hard slog, but that I mean, waving, smiling, shaking hands, and pretending you enjoy ever single moment of it! - Day in day out, criticism, sacrifice of not being your own person. But ultimately - she needs to make some sort of difference - and I personally do not believe she has it in her, she wants the glamour and the adulation! Time will indeed tell  :shrug:

cinrit

^^ Kate has had several years to observe the comings and goings of the Royal Family.  She's getting a taste of what is to be the rest of her life right now.  It may not be your cup of tea, but that's not to say it isn't Kate's.  Only Kate and those closest to her know what she's capable of.  I'd be willing to bet if William had any doubts whatsoever, he never would have proposed.  I think she'll do fabulously.  And if she doesn't, I'll be among the first to admit it ... but I won't watch for little stumbles along the way to find fault with.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

SophieChloe

Quote from: cinrit on April 17, 2011, 06:27:29 PM
And if she doesn't, I'll be among the first to admit it ... but I won't watch for little stumbles along the way to find fault with.

Cindy
:hi: I'm not talking about "little stumbles" - but I want to see hard work - I will  be watching very closely.  With all respect, I and millions of other UK tax payers will be paying for her from now on in  :sigh:

cinrit

As I understand it, the taxpayers pay only for the Queen and Prince Philip.  Windsor explained it a couple of months ago, but I don't remember which thread it was in.  I don't understand watching her very closely, anyway.  You can't fire her.  All you can do is complain, and all that can result in is aggravation for you.  Doesn't seem to me to be worth the bother. 

Cindy

SophieChloe

Quote from: cinrit on April 17, 2011, 07:32:29 PM
I don't understand watching her very closely, anyway.  You can't fire her.  All you can do is complain, and all that can result in is aggravation for you.  Doesn't seem to me to be worth the bother. 

Cindy
No we can't fire her - mores the pity!  What do you mean by "All you can do is complain, and all that can result in is aggravation for you" Are you suggesting I/we could be "carted off"? please elaborate. 

Princess Pea

Eh Kates predecessor came from an aristocratic family who would have married a similar class of course Kate is relishing her role she has absolutely nothing to lose it's win win win even if the marriage fails

cinrit

Quote from: sophiechloe on April 17, 2011, 07:42:01 PM
Quote from: cinrit on April 17, 2011, 07:32:29 PM
I don't understand watching her very closely, anyway.  You can't fire her.  All you can do is complain, and all that can result in is aggravation for you.  Doesn't seem to me to be worth the bother. 

Cindy
No we can't fire her - mores the pity!  What do you mean by "All you can do is complain, and all that can result in is aggravation for you" Are you suggesting I/we could be "carted off"? please elaborate. 

Carted off?  Good heavens, how do you get that from anything I said?:hmm:  All I meant is that you're causing yourself grief over something you can do nothing about. 

Cindy

SophieChloe

^ You did say "result in aggravation for you" - my understanding of the word aggravation is obviously different from yours and I will continue to complain as much as I like.  :)

gec

Thanks, wannabe. I really enjoyed the article. I would have liked to have read more about the Queen Mother in it, but alas, it given motivation to do my own research.

I think it will be tiresome after a while, reading the comparisons with Diana. Really they are two entirely different situations; ten years age difference, entirely different relationships with their husbands (to be).

My personal view is that the engagement period has been very well managed and Kate and William have performed well. What will be the real test is how Kate is presented after marriage, in terms of her engagements, what sort and the number, and when she will begin solo appearances. It will be a fine balance to strike between overexposure, which leads to more heavy handed criticism, and too little particularly given the Waity Katie title which was thrown around in press for so long.

cinrit

Quote from: sophiechloe Posted on: Today at 04:30:11 PM
^ You did say "result in aggravation for you" - my understanding of the word aggravation is obviously different from yours and I will continue to complain as much as I like. 

Aggravation means being carted off?  I've never heard that.  "Aggravation" to me means nothing more than irritation or grief.  "Result in aggravation" meant just that you'd cause yourself irritation (or grief).  Apologies that you took it the wrong way.  It doesn't bother me if you complain, sophiechloe.  I just don't see the point in it, that's all.

Cindy

wannable

^^^Your welcome Gec. I enjoyed the article myself, and am more curious about the defunct Queen Mother. So will be digging first here in the RIF via the search button to see what threads and links have been posted.

SophieChloe

Quote from: cinrit on April 17, 2011, 10:04:20 PM
Apologies that you took it the wrong way.  
From where I come from "aggravation" means continued trouble ahead.  However, I may have taken it the wrong way - so I apologise too  :truce:

BritishRoyals

Good article.  Everyone's referencing the Queen Mother as the ideal consort.  I agree she was a silent force.  Glad "The King's Speech" highlighted her good effects on the Monarchy.

William & Kate have conducted their engagement, wedding prep and duties very well so far.  They deserve praise and well wishes, IMO.  God knows it's a very difficult job for Kate, with stumbling blocks and learning curves sure to come along the way.  And when that happens, I believe she'll benefit from words of encouragement and a pat in the back, not condemnation.  I look forward to seeing how she does as princess.

But like I said, so far so good...

milena

"She is very good at reading his mood. Even at university, if friends were round and she could see William was tired or stressed, she was very adept at ending the evening. But graciously. No one was ever made to feel in the way. She can be quite maternal with him. He often cooks for her but he isn't awfully good, so Kate steps in and saves dishes from burning. Now, in their home on Anglesey, she often runs his bath so he can hop straight in when he comes off duty with the RAF. Kate firmly believes she is the support staff."

:sigh: :gawk: :sigh: :sigh:

I'm sure he loves her , but I still doubt that it has more to do with comfort,friendship and trust.I don't perceive it as a big love story as press try to make us believe it is..

Her whole life is built on making him comfortable and at ease,preparing everything down to his bath ...I think that is the key point which made kate an indispensable for william..She is like his left arm which he can't live without..

But it it still not my idea of true love..

RF is not looking for the ideal wife for William tthey are looking for the ideal consort whose lack of perspnal ambition is  perceived as a good thing,who always remains two steps back without stirring up any sort of problem,kow tow do their demands without questioning...

sandy

Quote from: BritishRoyals on April 18, 2011, 04:03:10 AM
Good article.  Everyone's referencing the Queen Mother as the ideal consort.  I agree she was a silent force.  Glad "The King's Speech" highlighted her good effects on the Monarchy.

William & Kate have conducted their engagement, wedding prep and duties very well so far.  They deserve praise and well wishes, IMO.  God knows it's a very difficult job for Kate, with stumbling blocks and learning curves sure to come along the way.  And when that happens, I believe she'll benefit from words of encouragement and a pat in the back, not condemnation.  I look forward to seeing how she does as princess.

But like I said, so far so good...

I disagree. The Queen Mum was no silent force not by a longshot. She had her own distinct personality and arguably ws more charismatic than her husband but he never got jealous.

LizzyG

I think the Queen Mum and King George made a great team and worked their strengths and weaknesses off each other.

They could make an excellent guide for Will and Kate to emulate.

sandy

I think it unfair to allude that previous consorts had "personal ambitions."  The trouble with Charles and Diana is that Charles got jealous of her and didn't see her as complementing him. Even early in the marriage when they still had a marriage going, he got jealous of her.  It should be noted that George V, George VI appreciated their wives and felt they complemented them and didn't get jealous.  When Diana and Charles had the marital troubles there was a media war but at the beginning they looked to me in any case  like a good team. I think Charles jealousy didn't help matters. I think if Wills loves Kate and vice versa and they have a true partnership, they will do just fine. I think good partners allow each of the other to shine and don't get jealous if one receives more attention than the other.

However "homey and June Cleaverish" it is, Kate can't just sit back and run Wills baths and be a "housewife" a royal wife does have to have ambitions to a certain degree: ambitions to promote a charity and to become a spokesperson for the royal family at various appearances and who is taken to by the public and doesn't appear to remote and cold.

wannable

Well some royal correspondents have said that PW looks more at ease with the public since observing Kate in the engagements.  The descriptions of her so far have been positive, hence there may be a balance whereas William and Kate have their strengths and weaknesses, reinforcing/reaching out each other.

cinrit

Quote from: milena on April 18, 2011, 12:59:46 PM
But it it still not my idea of true love..

Hopefully, it's their idea of true love. :vday4:

Cindy

SophieChloe

Iseult

Quote from: sandy on April 18, 2011, 01:01:24 PM
I disagree. The Queen Mum was no silent force not by a longshot. She had her own distinct personality and arguably ws more charismatic than her husband but he never got jealous.
The Queen Mother was IMO the power behind the throne, but I think although charming and popular in public she took care not to overshadow her husband. Maybe it was easier to do so back in her young days, as the press were more deferential at that time to those who'd been born royal. I think the trouble between Diana and Charles was at least partly caused by the media who were so delighted at having a charming and beautiful young woman in the royal family that they automatically all paid far more attention to her than to Charles, as indeed did the public. Charles wasn't used to being sidelined, Diana obviously enjoyed the attention, and jealousy reared its ugly head. If Charles had been more sensible and Diana more sensitive, I think they could have worked through their problems ... but alas it was not to be.

Kate is older than Diana was and she appears to be a pretty intelligent girl, so I imagine she'll make sure this same scenario won't be repeated. I hope William has also learnt lessons from his parents' marriage and understands that a royal woman is always more interesting and more likely to be on the front page of the newspapers than a royal man. The clothes, the hair, the make-up, the jewellery ... of no real importance at all really, but they'll keep the papers (and this forum) entertained for many years to come.  :)