Royal Historical Facts Potpurri Chat Part 2

Started by PrincessKLS, October 28, 2007, 04:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

Alan II, Duke of Brittany (died 952) was nicknamed Twistedbeard.   
King Coloman of Hungary (1070-1116) was called the Bookish.   
King Edmund I of England (921-946) was called the Deed-doer.

Jennifer

Back then, perventine was used by people for medical purposes, not for recreational drug use. I don't believe Queen Wilhelmina would use it just for pleasure or entertainment. There was not much knowledge about how lethal perventine was and people thought it was only acceptable to use the drug cure their pains.

QuoteQueen Wilhelmina used drugs during the Second World War

Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands used the drug perventine, now better known as crystal meth, during the Second World War. It is reported by Marcel Verburg, who is a legal historian, in his new book about the history of the Ministry of Justice during the years 1940 to 1945.

He is not the first to report the drug use, but he is the first to draw significant attention to it. Cees Fasseur, a royal historian, who died earlier this year, also mentioned it. The drug use may account for the radical change in Wilhelmina's style of government, which was once attributed to her Romanov ancestors. It is possibly that Queen Wilhelmina made strange decisions or delayed decisions as a result of the drug use. During the war pervetine was sometimes used by soldiers for exhaustion and it was also used as pain medication.

Read more:
Queen Wilhelmina used drugs during the Second World War – Royal Central
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

LouisFerdinand

King Eric III of Denmark (c. 1120-27-1146) was called the Lamb.   
Ivan I (1288-1340 or 1341) was Prince of Moscow and Grand Prince of Vladimir. He was called Moneybags.

LouisFerdinand

Louis IV of Germany was Holy Roman Emperor from 1328 to 1347. He was called the Bavarian.   
Béla II was King of Hungary from 1131 to 1141. He was called the Blind.

LouisFerdinand

King Alfonso I of Aragon (1073/1074-1134) was called the Battler or the Warrior.   
King Haakon II of Norway (1147-1162) was called the Broad-shouldered.

LouisFerdinand

William of Austria (1370-1406) ruled the Austrian duchies of Carinthia, Styria, and Carniola. He was known as William the Courteous.   
Dietrich of Oldenburg (1398-1440) was the father of King Christian I of Denmark. Dietrich was nicknamed the Fortunate.

LouisFerdinand

Charles I, Count of Flanders (1084-1127) was called the Good.   
King Juan I of Aragon (1350-1396) was called the Lover of Elegance.

LouisFerdinand

Hugh Capet was King of the Franks from 987 to 996. He was nicknamed Wearing-a-Cape.   
Ottokar II was King of Bohemia from1253 to 1278. He was nicknamed the Iron and Golden King.                                                                                                                                              :king: :king: :king: :king: :king: :king: :king: :king: :king:   
:king:

LouisFerdinand

King Alfonso X of Castile (1221-1284) was nicknamed the Astrologer.   
King Peter (Pedro) IV of Aragon (1319-1387) was called the Ceremonious.

LouisFerdinand

John George I was Elector of Saxony from 1611 to 1656. He was referred to as Beer-Jug.  :partaay: :partaay: :partaay:   
Eric I was King of Denmark from 1095 to 1103. He was called the Kind-Hearted.  :vday4: :vday4:

LouisFerdinand

King Charles VII of France was named the Little King of Bourges when he was in the Berry province of France.

LouisFerdinand

Princess Louise-Hippolyte of Monaco was called Coco.     
Her sister Princess Marguerite-Camille was called Poupon. Her sister Princess Marie-Pelline was called Chabeuil.

LouisFerdinand

Infante John (1400-1442) was a Portuguese infante (prince). He was the son of King John I of Portugal and his wife Philippa of Lancaster. He was called the Constable Prince.     

Canute IV was King of Denmark from 1080 until 1086. He was known as Canute the Holy.

LouisFerdinand

Princess Louise of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, Queen of Prussia was the wife of King Frederick William III of Prussia.   
She was called the Queen of Hearts.     

:wub: :wub: :blowkiss: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

LouisFerdinand

After the end of the Second World War, King Haakon VII and the Norwegian Royal Fasmily returned to Norway aboard the cruiser HMS Norfolk on June 7, 1945.       

LouisFerdinand

Princess Charlotte of Prussia, Duchess of Saxe-Meiningein (1860-1919) was called Charley the Pretender by her brother, Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany.s

LouisFerdinand

Vladimir I reigned as Grand Prince of Kiev from 980 to 1015. He was referred to as Vladimir the Apostle.     

Alfonso X was the King of Castile from 1252 until 1284. He was called the Astrologer.

LouisFerdinand

It was interesting to learn that after her marriage, Countess Elizabeth kept her maiden name of Bathory. Her husband added Bathory to his surname. He was then Ferenc Bathory-Nadassy.

LouisFerdinand

King Haakon inspected Norwegiann sailors in training with the Royal Navy in 1941.   

LouisFerdinand

William I, Prince of Orange (1533-1584) was known as William the Silent.   

Philip V was King of France from 1316 to 1322. He was referred to as Philip the Tall (Philippe le Long).

LouisFerdinand

Dietrich, Count of Oldenburg (1398-1440) was nicknamed Theodoric the Lucky or Fortunate.     

Ladislaus (Laszlo) I of Hungary reigned as King from 1077 to 1095. He was called the Most Elegant King.

Curryong

Dark Age kings of northern Britain Coel Hen the Old (maybe Old King Cole) Gugust the Ragged, Merchiaun the Lean.

Kings of the Western Isles (Isle of Man etc) Ketil Flatnose, son of Bjorn Roughfoot. Godred White-hands. Harald Sletmali (smooth talker) Earl (ruler) of Orkney. Paul the Silent Earl of Orkney.

Eric Bloodaxe King of Norway. Ivarr the Boneless, ruler of the Danish kingdom of Jorvik around York. Sitric the Squinteyed, grandson of Ivarr.

Edwy All-fair King of the English, Edgar the Peacable, King of Mercia and Northumbria.

LouisFerdinand

Queen Victoria's uncle, Ernest Augustus (1771-1851) had the title of Duke of Cumberland. In 1837 he became the King of Hanover.   
Was he no longer the Duke of Cumberland?

Curryong

He was. The Cumberland dukedom remained one of the titles of the Kings of Hanover until it was put into abeyance as a British dukedom by King George V in 1917, together with a whole host of Germanic titles borne by various members of the Royal family and their relatives, the Prince Louis Battenburgs for instance, (Prince Philip's grandparents) and those living in Germany and serving in their armed forces. The Cumberland/Teviotdale titles are still in abeyance but Ernst Augustus, the head of the House of Hanover, can apply for his British titles to be returned to him at any time as did his father when he was alive, and it would be considered.

Neither have done so, though, as a descendant of Sophia of Hanover and therefore in the line of succession to the British throne, Ernst August did write to the Queen asking formally for her consent to his marriage to Caroline of Monaco. It was granted. (That procedure is no longer required as it's been limited to the first six in succession, but it was in operation then.)

One German prince wrote to King George VI towards the end of the war asking permission to marry one of Prince Philip's sisters, as he too was in the line of succession. As the two countries were at war at the time the King didn't feel it was appropriate to officially answer. However, the King and Queen had a lot of links with royals in neutral countries and no doubt through them and Victoria Milford Haven (ex Battenburg) who was the bride's grandmother, their good wishes were sent anyway.

amabel

I don't suppose Ernst of Hanover wants a british title.. although he did politely ask for permission to marry Carolne of Monaco.
but if its not liklely that his family will be officially restored, couldn't the title be considered again for britsih Royals?