Princess Margaret Chat

Started by Jonquil, November 08, 2009, 12:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trudie

Right and George V daughter The Princess Royal married the 8th Earl of Harewood not a Duke or a Royal Duke as I have said anything less then an HRH is considered a commoner albeit a well born one.

lilibet80

So what?  Naturally, everyone knows that a person who is not royal is a commoner.  But there is a difference between a Duke and Earl and an untitled commoner.  What is your point?  If there are no royals to be married then the next choice is to marry an aristocrat, albeit a "commoner."  Why split hairs about this?  Is it just to be right?  King George was very happy to have his "commoner" daughters-in-law, Elizabeth, Duchess of York and Princess Alice of Gloucester.  He would not have been so happy had they not been members of the aristocracy. 

fawbert

Quote from: sandy on November 12, 2009, 03:00:51 PM
Charles may have been required to marry a "virgin" but it should not have given him carte blanche to sleep with someone else's wife. I think no matter how times have change one would think adultery is still very wrong.

The Prince of Wales didn't have to wed a virgin.

Fawbert

Miss Scarlett

Please explain, Fawbert, because that's the impression everyone is under --that his bride had to be a virgin.

Margaret was a spoiled, spoiled girl.  She stamped her foot, and I am still to this day shocked she didn't press further about marrying.  I think she did know she could use it to her advantage in the future and wasn't as "in love" as she was letting on.

snokitty

Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon | Unofficial Royalty
Princess Margaret was the second daughter of King George VI and Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, and younger sister of Queen Elizabeth II. She was born Princess Margaret Rose of York on August 21, 1930, at Glamis Castle in Scotland. At the time of her birth, she was 4th in line for the British throne.

She was christened by the Archbishop of Canterbury in the private chapel at Buckingham Palace on October 30, 1930. Her godparents were:

The Prince of Wales – later King Edward VIII and Duke of Windsor (her father's brother)
    Princess Ingrid of Sweden – later Queen of Denmark (her father's second cousin)
    Princess Victoria of the United Kingdom (her father's great-aunt)
    Lady Rose Leveson-Gower (her mother's sister)
    The Hon. David Bowes-Lyon (her mother's brother)

Just six years after she was born, her grandfather, King George V, passed away and her uncle became King Edward VIII. Just 11 months later, he abdicated, and Margaret's father became King George VI. The family moved from their modest home at 145 Piccadilly, to Buckingham Palace. Here, Margaret was a Brownie with the 1st Buckingham Palace Brownie Pack, and later a Girl Guide and Sea Ranger. These organizations held a special place in Margaret's heart, and she remained involved with them until her death. She was educated privately by a governess – Marion Crawford, who later wrote a book about the Princesses which resulted in her being banished from royal life. During World War II, Margaret and Elizabeth lived at Windsor Castle, deemed safer than being in London. It was suggested that the two be sent to Canada for the duration of the war, but their mother quickly dismissed that idea. Despite the war, the two girls managed to enjoy a relatively 'normal' life at Windsor.
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

LouisFerdinand

Princess Margaret was a glamorous lady.   
Princess Margaret - YouTube   
:brightside: :brightside: :brightside: :brightside: :brightside:

Jennifer

QuotePreviously unseen letters between Margaret Thatcher and Princess Margaret released

Correspondence between Margaret Thatcher and Princess Margaret was released this Friday to the National Archives in Kew after more than 30 years. Among other things, it shows them commiserating over the Russian invasion of Afghanistan and the strikes in the steel industry.

"I suppose if one is an ordinary working man and one's union tells one not to vote for new machinery or technology because otherwise you will lose your job or your card – you just don't dare," Princess Margaret told the British Prime Minister in early 1980. "The steel strike is depressing."

Margaret Thatcher addressed Princess Margaret as "Ma'am" and also wrote at her distress at hearing Princess Margaret had been admitted to hospital for an operation to remove a benign skin lesion. She also tells the Princess of a trip to the United States.

Read more:
Previously unseen letters between Margaret Thatcher and Princess Margaret released – Royal Central
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

Jennifer

Even if this woman is Princess Margaret's biological daughter, she still would not be the next heir to British throne. There is a long list of people in the succession to the British throne who have to be King/Queen before her. Illegitimate children of the royals are excluded.

Judge throws woman out of court who claims she is the daughter of the late Princess Margaret

A British judge is said to have made history today when he delivered one of the shortest legal rulings to ever to be heard in an English courtroom.

The judge made his four-paragraph ruling concerning the case of Malika Benmusa, a woman who claims that she is the "heir to the throne of England".

Ms Benmusa claimed that her mother was the late Princess Margaret, and asked the court for permission to for her will to be open and read.

Read more:
Judge throws woman out of court who claims she is the daughter of the late Princess Margaret – Royal Central
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

Curryong

There is no 'English' throne and hasn't been since the Stuarts' day. So this woman's knowledge of British history is as muddled as her belief that she is Margaret's daughter. Also, all the Queen's children and grandchildren and Margaret's heirs by Lord Snowdon would be ahead of her if her illegitimate birth didn't rule her out straight away.

These claimants keep popping up every now and again. There's a man in Australia who is supposed to be a direct descendant of Richard III who had an article written about him once.

LouisFerdinand

Did Malika indicate what her original name was?

Curryong

Her original name is possibly there on court documents. Malika may be the daughter of some upper class Englishwoman who had her adopted and therefore there perhaps was some mystery about the birth that was hinted at as this woman grew up. I don't know.

However, for at least the first forty or so years of Margaret's life she was very much in the public eye. She would have had to have taken at least four months off to hide a pregnancy (in her youth she was very petite with a small waist) and no-one in the royal household or friends talked, in consequence? Pretty extraordinary!  Where did they hide her away, with the Monster inside Glamis castle?  :hehe:

Jennifer

I am surprised she wasn't aware that the throne is British and no longer English since she is from the UK. There's no way she would be next in line to be Queen. I don't think she knows how many people are in the line of succession for the British throne. There are too many people in the family listed for her to be placed in the beginning of the list.

Double post auto-merged: April 14, 2017, 04:30:53 PM

I also don't know how Princess Margaret could've hid a secret pregnancy like this. She was always in the public eye and there was nothing she could hide. If this was so, them I think it would have been reported by the media at the time. I don't think Malika's claim is valid.

QuoteJudge refuses to unseal Princess Margaret's will after request by her 'heir'

Malika Benmusa claimed the late Princess Margaret was her mother and asked Sir James Munby for permission to unseal the princess's will.

But he ruled that he would not reopen the sealed document as Ms Benmusa was "delusional".

Sir James, president of the Family Division of the High Court, dismissed her application in a historically short four-paragraph written ruling and described it as a "farrago of delusional nonsense".

Read more:
Judge refuses to unseal Princess Margaret's will after request by 'heir' | UK | News | Express.co.uk

LouisFerdinand

When Princess Margaret got engaged to Antony Armstrong-Jones, did Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent and her daughter, Princess Alexandra disapprove?

amabel

What on earth would it have had to do with tehm?

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

Princess Margaret and the Bishop of Bath and Wells met Cliff Richard in 1962.   
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/1001110882`

LouisFerdinand

Princess Margaret turned 21.     
Princess Margaret - 21 (1951) - YouTube     

:bday4: :bday4: :bday4:

LouisFerdinand

Antony Armstrong-Jones was not only annoyed with his wife, but also with the servants for running up such large household bills.

Curryong

Tony was annoyed with Prss Margaret for quite a few things wasn't he! Their marriage was about as miserably unhappy as the Wales' after a few years.
And it wasn't Tony's income that was solely maintaining the household. He must have known when he and Margaret  married in 1960 that his hitherto bohemian bachelor lifestyle was going to undergo a change. He himself had grown up with servants and he surely realised that Margaret, a very status conscious individual, wouldn't be expecting a flat, a daily cleaner and no live in staff after marriage. Surely he knew her better than that, lol?

Anyway, we don't know what raised his ire. Were the servants eating caviar and drinking champagne at every meal? Debatable, IMO. Were they leaving lights on all night or overheating the rooms. If they were they have my sympathy. I wouldn't want to freeze in a KP apartment during an English winter!

Anyway, I would imagine that like most royals Margaret was frugal about some things and just regarded others as normal and not extravagant at all. After all, she, like the Queen, had old three bar electric heaters in her sittingroom, but thought nothing of flying to Mustique every year to a fully stocked villa she maintained there. Just as the Queen uses plastic Tupperware but spends her summer holidays in her own Scottish castle.

amabel

As I recall Philip also was annoyed at the spending and bad arrangemetns in HIS household and introduced better organisation and saving of money.   But I think the queen was willing to go halfway to meet him on these ideas even if she did probably still spend rather a lot in some ways.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand