Looking back at PP style

Started by Macrobug67, April 22, 2021, 04:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macrobug67

Prince Philip Duke of Edinburgh best style moments | Tatler

He certainly had style.  Helped that he had a fabulous physical presence. 

wannable

Everyone choose the best photo. Me, the very much liked unofficial and I like it that way Keepsake, Souvenir person will post the image  :sarcastic:

TLLK

My personal favorites are those when he's in his naval uniform and I am so impressed that apparently his tailors didn't have to make too many alterations over the decades.

Macrobug67

I can?t say I particularly enjoyed his Canadian Hoe-down.

No.  We Canadians do NOT dress like that.

More like this https://www.thestar.com/news/starweather/2019/12/18/toronto-issues-extreme-cold-weather-alert-while-snow-squalls-hit-york-region.html

My favourite(and always has been) is the honeymoon photo looking at each other.

TLLK

:hehe: I saw that hoedown photo and had a good chuckle. I wonder if his aides decided to have some fun by choosing the WORST possible outfit for him to wear.  :hehe:

Macrobug67

:cry:  it was....interesting

wannable

Curryong

I think that royal aides on the tour had visions of the 1950s London stage production of ?Oklahoma? and bought the clothes they thought appropriate to that. I read ages ago that the Queen didn?t have any square dancing sort of skirt so a dresser had to quickly buy one after none of the clothing brought along on tour was thought suitable for a hoe-down! 

wannable

:laugh:  That was naughty of me, it's like the ugliest pic.

Guys keep on choosing, there are so many nice pics versus that hoedown  :teehee:

Curryong

Gosh, Philip was a handsome man in his twenties (and I don?t usually go for blond men!) That photo of him in 1947 in tweed jacket and looking directly at the camera shows clearly why Elizabeth was a lucky girl!

I think generally that all males in the BRF are at their best when in uniform. I loved Harry in his tropic whites uniform and it?s the same with Philip. It?s not necessarily in this group of photos but he did look superb in naval whites.

Macrobug67

wannable

Yes, yes, very good looking

This could be up there, a winner.

Macrobug67

Wowsa! Princess Elizabeth knew a good thing when she saw it  :wub:

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on April 22, 2021, 11:42:25 PM
Gosh, Philip was a handsome man in his twenties (and I don?t usually go for blond men!) That photo of him in 1947 in tweed jacket and looking directly at the camera shows clearly why Elizabeth was a lucky girl!

I think generally that all males in the BRF are at their best when in uniform. I loved Harry in his tropic whites uniform and it?s the same with Philip. It?s not necessarily in this group of photos but he did look superb in naval whites.
@Curryong - Blonde men don't do a thing for me either.  Yes both grandfather and grandson look splendid in their whites though IMO they look wonderful in any uniform. Besides the "hoe down" costume, the only ensemble that looked a tad silly IMO is the one worn for the BP Diplomatic Reception with white tie, knee britches and an actual garter. I've only seen one or two photos of Phillip, Charles and William in it but IMO it doesn't flatter anyone.
Now when they wear their kilts, then that's a different story. They look splendid.

There's a photo of the three men in their white tie formal wear in this article.

The RF Brings the Bling at the BP Diplomatic Reception ? Rebecca Starr Brown