Queen and Prince Philip Visits Tower of London Poppy Display

Started by PrincessOfPeace, September 03, 2014, 01:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrincessOfPeace

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 17 mins

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will visit Her Majesty's Tower of London on 16 October.

cinrit

Thanks, Princess.  I hope the DM has loads of pictures.  The Tower is my favorite London landmark.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

cinrit

Quotehe Queen has paid tribute to British and Commonwealth First World War dead by visiting a unique poppy memorial commemorating their sacrifice and laying a wreath.

Surrounded by a sea of red ceramic poppies in the former moat of the Tower of London, the Queen laid her own floral tribute to those who paid the ultimate sacrifice.

Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red was created by ceramic artist Paul Cummins and by Armistice Day on November 11 there will be 888,246 ceramic poppies planted, one for each British and Colonial death during the conflict which began 100 years ago.

More: Video: Watch: Queen visits Tower of London poppy display - Telegraph

QuoteThe Queen and Prince Philip Remember Britain's War Heroes

Her Majesty and the Duke of Edinburgh visited the Tower of London's war memorial which is dedicated to soldiers who died for their country in the First World War.

The Royal couple were surrounded by ceramic poppies at the castle's former moat and the Queen laid her own floral tribute to British war heroes.

Mr Cummins, who met the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh during their visit to the Tower said: "I was inspired to create this installation after reading a living will by an unknown soldier who we think may have been from Derby.

More: Queen and Prince Philip pay tribute to war heroes at Tower of London's poppy garden | Royal | News | Daily Express

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

TLLK

This is incredible. It was already amazing when the Cambridges and Harry launched it in August, but to have seen how it has grown in the past weeks is stunning.

Curryong

Yes, it is an amazing yet really tremendously sad sight, when you think of the casualties of World War One. I went to the cemeteries of the war dead in Northern France and Belgium years ago and the graves just seemed to spread for miles.

cate1949

it is extraordinary  and I do hope it does promote an understanding of the horror of it all