Books, films and television programs about Diana

Started by sara8150, May 02, 2017, 04:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandy

The kids may watch the show and if he uses anatomical terms they might ask questions...They probably ask many questions at home.

sara8150

Prince William Says He Felt Princess Diana's Presence at His Wedding: I 'Felt She Was There for Me'
Prince William Says He Felt Mom Diana's Presence at His Wedding

Double post auto-merged: July 23, 2017, 06:18:09 PM

Princes William and Harry remember final words with Diana: 'I regret how short that phone call was'
Princes William and Harry regret rushing final phone call with Princess Diana

amabel

Quote from: sandy on July 23, 2017, 06:12:09 PM
The kids may watch the show and if he uses anatomical terms they might ask questions...They probably ask many questions at home.
and he can answer them at home.. but to be saying "you're in the tummy" to harry, on TV is cringemaking to me.

sara8150

Prince William and Prince Harry Reveal Their Regrets Over Final Phone Call With Late Mom Princess Diana
Prince William, Harry on Regrets Over Final Phone Call With Princess Diana - Us Weekly

Double post auto-merged: July 23, 2017, 06:32:40 PM

William and Harry remember mother Diana in ITV documentary ? video | UK news | The Guardian

Double post auto-merged: July 23, 2017, 06:38:08 PM

"See you later": Princes William, Harry remember devastating last call with Princess Diana
"See you later": Princes William, Harry remember devastating last call with Princess Diana - CBS News

Double post auto-merged: July 23, 2017, 06:39:52 PM

Princes William and Harry recall their last words with Princess Diana
Princes William and Harry recall their last words with Princess Diana - CNN.com

sandy

Well he said in the tummy. If the producers or sponsors did not like it they could have cut it. Maybe it was his way of ribbing Harry which he does a lot

tiaras

Yeah and all these silly people trying to pretend that W and H should have a close relationship with their fathers mistress wife are just erasing history. I keep reading that they didn't speak warmly enough about her or mention her as she's family lol. As if they need to be nice to a woman who was so awful to their mum and broke up a marriage.

sara8150

Prince William and Prince Harry Hadn't Seen Mom Diana in Nearly One Month Before Her Shocking Death
Prince William and Prince Harry Hadn't Seen Diana in 1 Month Before Death

Double post auto-merged: July 24, 2017, 06:16:40 PM

Prince William Felt His Late Mother Princess Diana's Spirit at His Wedding: 'She Was There'
Prince William Felt Princess Diana?s Spirit at His Wedding - Us Weekly

Double post auto-merged: July 24, 2017, 06:19:40 PM

Prince William: I talk about Granny Diana constantly
Prince William: I talk about Granny Diana constantly - ITV News

Double post auto-merged: July 24, 2017, 06:23:43 PM

3 photos from the personal photo album of Princess Diana
3 photos from the personal photo album of Princess Diana | NEWMYROYALS & HOLLYWOOD FASHION

royalanthropologist

The thing is that William and Harry have been nothing but courteous to their step mother. It is always outsiders who are hankering for the revenge agenda, always hoping for a snub or alternatively making up one if it does not exist. This program is not about Charles and Camilla. It is about the children remembering their mother.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Duch_Luver_4ever

Nice to see a post from @Mike on the Diana board, just heartbreaking how they feel about that call, but of course there was no way to know.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

sara8150

'Anyone else want to reach into the TV and give them a hug?': Viewers' emotion as Harry and William reveal how they struggled to cope after their death of their mother
Twitter reacts to Diana documentary | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: July 25, 2017, 03:40:57 AM

Prince William and Harry would push notes under Diana's door saying 'It will be OK' as her marriage to Charles was falling apart, her 'rock' and former butler Paul Burrell reveals
Prince William and Harry would push notes under mum's door | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: July 25, 2017, 03:46:25 AM

Diana, Our Mother: Her Life and Legacy, review: there was no schmaltz in this tribute, only love
Diana, Our Mother: Her Life and Legacy, review: there was no schmaltz in this tribute, only love

Double post auto-merged: July 25, 2017, 03:56:01 AM

'How could you do that to us?' The ONE thing Prince Harry can't forgive Diana for
Prince Harry opens up about 'best mum' Diana in ITV documentary | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

sandy

I saw the interview it was a very nice tribute, concentrating a lot on the charity work. There were clips from the wedding in 1981 and WIlliam's talk about telling his grandchildren about Diana. Diana's brother and Anne Beckwith Smith, lady in waiting and several of Diana's friends also spoke.

Trudie

Quote from: royalanthropologist on July 24, 2017, 06:28:12 PM
The thing is that William and Harry have been nothing but courteous to their step mother. It is always outsiders who are hankering for the revenge agenda, always hoping for a snub or alternatively making up one if it does not exist. This program is not about Charles and Camilla. It is about the children remembering their mother.

No one knows exactly how William and Harry feel about Camilla no stories have come out from servants looking to make money.  Though that said William and Harry are well aware that as members of the royal family they have to put on a united front publicly. Charles and Camilla have nothing to do with the tribute of Diana this is something that is personal to them and remembering the special woman who was their mother.

sara8150

Prince William and Prince Harry's most touching moments from Princess Diana's documentary - Photo 1

Double post auto-merged: July 25, 2017, 05:22:08 PM

Did Prince William get Cindy Crawford confused for Claudia Schiffer?

Double post auto-merged: July 25, 2017, 05:23:14 PM

Prince Harry reveals he's only cried twice about his mum Princess Diana since her death
Prince Harry admits he's only cried twice about his mum Princess Diana

Double post auto-merged: July 25, 2017, 05:24:09 PM

Prince Harry says he would dress his children in the same 'bizarre' way Princess Diana used to
Prince Harry pokes fun at the way Princess Diana used to dress him

Double post auto-merged: July 25, 2017, 05:25:27 PM

Prince Harry's Most Raw and Emotional Quotes Ever: 'All I Want to Do Is Make My Mother Proud'
Prince Harry Emotional Quotes

Double post auto-merged: July 25, 2017, 05:27:55 PM

Planet Diana was a crazy place but even though she drove the royals (and me!) mad when she was alive the modern-minded sons she produced are probably their best hope of survival
PIERS: Diana drove me mad but her sons are the best hope | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: July 25, 2017, 05:30:38 PM

William mixes up his models! Prince appears to confuse Claudia Schiffer and Cindy Crawford during Princess Diana documentary
William mixes up Claudia Schiffer and Cindy Crawford | Daily Mail Online

royalanthropologist

Unless people are calling them liars: William and Harry released statements and even did an interview clearly stating that there are no issues with their father's second marriage. Like any normal children, they cherish their remaining parent and would prefer to see him happy than unhappy. 

A few days ago, they attended a party to celebrate their step mother's 70th birthday and within the same period they are paying tributes to their dead mother. These young men are not out to get revenge. They behave courteously and appropriately in public. What they do or say or feel in private is their business and their business alone. We all have our own private thoughts and feelings; without having outsiders constantly trying to imprint hidden motives on us.

I just thought that some commentators are not content to let a tribute about Diana go by without trying to decipher some simmering hatred and resentment. They (the commentators) may feel or hope for that simmering resentment but William and Harry are certainly not playing that game. They love their father and have said so many, many times.

I suspect that some people in the media and the general public are determined to block out the possibility that these are mature people who have a nuanced understanding of how and why the marriage between the Prince and Princess of Wales broke down. They may not have bought into the black and white versions that were presented in the popular press. They actually saw the entire thing happening before their eyes; not based on second hand reports and speculation.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

sandy

Quote from: sara8150 on July 25, 2017, 05:21:20 PM
Prince William and Prince Harry's most touching moments from Princess Diana's documentary - Photo 1

Double post auto-merged: July 25, 2017, 05:22:08 PM

Double post auto-merged: July 25, 2017, 05:23:14 PM

Prince Harry reveals he's only cried twice about his mum Princess Diana since her death
Prince Harry admits he's only cried twice about his mum Princess Diana

Double post auto-merged: July 25, 2017, 05:24:09 PM

Prince Harry says he would dress his children in the same 'bizarre' way Princess Diana used to
Prince Harry pokes fun at the way Princess Diana used to dress him

Double post auto-merged: July 25, 2017, 05:25:27 PM

Prince Harry's Most Raw and Emotional Quotes Ever: 'All I Want to Do Is Make My Mother Proud'
Prince Harry Emotional Quotes

Double post auto-merged: July 25, 2017, 05:27:55 PM

Planet Diana was a crazy place but even though she drove the royals (and me!) mad when she was alive the modern-minded sons she produced are probably their best hope of survival
PIERS: Diana drove me mad but her sons are the best hope | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: July 25, 2017, 05:30:38 PM

William mixes up his models! Prince appears to confuse Claudia Schiffer and Cindy Crawford during Princess Diana documentary
William mixes up Claudia Schiffer and Cindy Crawford | Daily Mail Online

Some parents like to dress the children in matching outfits. Sometimes when they have twins!

royalanthropologist

BTW, I hear you @Duch_Luver_4ever about the mis-characterizations. However, I would also point out that many of the people that write such stuff start out as if they are trying to support Diana. Indeed they are cheered for "saying it as it is" if they are criticizing Charles and Camilla. The complaints only start when the versions they present start to raise questions about Diana's personality.

When these commentators and so called supporters describe certain scenes, they end up revealing stuff that calls into question the entire narrative. And of course Diana herself always said too much to too many people. She had too many people around her whom she considered to be friends because they told her what she wanted to hear. Those people are now cashing it.

It takes a huge leap of imagination to argue that Charles is the one that is ordering Ken Wharfe, Paul Burrell and Andrew Morton to write their books. Clearly he is not because they write quite hateful things about him and his wife sometimes. Some of the criticisms that have come Diana's way are directly related to those seemingly supportive books which reveal things that ought to be private. If you present your story to the public, you can expect that some members of that public will pick holes in it at some point. That is what is happening now. We all knew too much about Diana's life.

sandy

I see this as a nice gesture by William and Harry. No more no less. Now that they are in their thirties, maybe they felt it was time.

Getting all the people together from Diana's life to do the documentary was excellent.

Curryong

Earl Spencer took part in the tribute, and has afterwards spoken on BBC radio. I've just heard the podcast. He goes through points of his controversial Abbey eulogy, However, he also states that during discussions with grey men at BP about funeral arrangements he was disturbed to discover that the boys were to walk in the funeral cortege.

He said that he stated that they absolutely shouldn't and that his sister wouldn't have wanted it. However the courtier told him it had 'been decided'. He reiterated that he didn't agree and was later told that the boys 'wanted to', which was an absolute lie. He said on the podcast that he 'was lied to'. So, who told Diana's sons to walk, and on whose behalf was the Earl lied to during the funeral arrangements? Harry's recent remarks about 'no child should be made to do that' come into context here.

Earl Spencer 'lied to' over princes following Diana's coffin - BBC News

Double post auto-merged: July 26, 2017, 10:21:26 AM

The podcast.

BBC Radio 4 - Best of Today, Earl Spencer remembers his sister Princess Diana

sandy

So I wonder who asked that the boys walk behind the coffin. , Philip was said to persuade William to do so. So when were they asked to do this?

royalanthropologist

As I understand it, the boys had been asked whether they wanted to walk behind the coffin and they said no. Then the Duke of Edinburgh told them that they might regret it if they did not. The children thought about it and then walked.

I am absolutely certain that if the boys had not walked behind the coffin, there would be someone somewhere complaining about why the children were not being allowed to grieve.  The queen did the most sensible thing by ensuring the privacy of the children. Then the agitation started about the invisible royal family. Then when they came; they were treated to hostility and that outrageous speech by Earl Spencer. Had he made such a speech in the presence of any of the Tudors, he would probably have lost his head. The impertinence and hypocrisy was extraordinary. Johnny Spencer would have been embarrassed by such a carry-on. 

I think William and Harry need to start appreciating what they have in life. Complaining about the past and the allegedly bad things that members of the family might have done to you can become tiresome. DOE is 96. They should be spending the last years he has keeping him company other than griping about whether or not he advised them to walk behind their mother's casket. I am sure DOE could teach them a thing or two about public duty and not 'letting it all hang out".

There are children who go through a lot worse that walking behind the coffin of their dead mother. They must also remember that if you do not appreciate your parents and relatives, there will come a time when they are gone. Then you will not be able to say that things that you wanted to say to them.

The tribute to their mother was great. I hope they do not spoil it all by engaging in a new blame game routine.

Curryong

Earl Spencer states in a broadcast on the BBC that he was perturbed when, during a hook up with courtiers at BP after his sister's death he was told that the boys would be walking. He protested and said that neither he nor, more importantly his sister would have wanted that. The courtier told him it was 'all arranged'.

When he again questioned it he says that he was told that the boys wanted to do it. He found out later, presumably by either he or their aunts speaking to William and Harry that this was not the truth. They didn't want to walk. Why are you blaming them? Neither William nor Harry discussed the subject of who asked/told them during the tribute.

Charles Spencer brought it up on the BBC. Harry has said just one thing recently about the walk, ie that he doesn't think that any child should have been put through that. I've always believed that it was their decision based on Sandra Henney's (Charles's then Press Officer) later statements. However, she wasn't privy to everything.

If a child of twelve wants to do something that might be horrendous I'm not certain that he should have been allowed to do it. Prince Philip comes from an older, tougher generation, experiences and background. Perhaps his view, if it was him who persuaded William to walk, shouldn't have prevailed. However it is Earl Spencer who's opened this latest can of worms, not Diana's sons. Sooner or later, truth will out, I believe.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Oooh what a topic ive come into, love it. While everyone has some valid points, the idea of a child wanting to do something they probably shouldnt do was the example of Harry wanting to go with his father to Paris to see his mum, and Charles said, wisely I think, that its something he shouldnt go through and the idea of DoE coming from a tougher time, could play into it, but you also have to take into account the police concern for Charles safety.

Id poster earlier on it, and cant be bothered to relook it up, but there were govt papers that said something about either them taking cars to the Abbey, or the boys walking with him,as they felt it was much less likely if they were there that any harm would befall Charles, while they had the usual security concerns, the crowd and their feelings towards him were the most unpredictable element and the one to be solved with having the boys there. IRA, or other regular planned for security concerns wouldnt care, but they were part of regular planning, but only the most heartless monster would have orphaned the boys in front of their own eyes. So in that sense, it worked, and the windsors if nothing else have are ruthless when it comes to survival.

Agreed @royalanthropologist there was to be whinging no matter what happened, but the royals did do a pretty rubbish job of handling it. As for DoE, people remember him now as a nice old man, but forget his rushing off on a solo trip, press speculation about him seeing an actress whose name i forget now, fretting about the kids having his surname and letting the cameras into the RF in the late 60s, so for his time, he also "let it all hang out" compared to the times, were he young today, hed be all over instagram and such.

So basically the boys were used as human shields for Charles, id say Harrys recent comments and Earl Spencers tend to tilt the subject to his side,but I havent listened to the podcast yet, thanks @Curryong  for posting it and your points, although I do think Charles Spencer would take any opportunity to poke a finger in the RF's eye, so much grey, so many sides, a great topic!!!
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

sara8150

Princess Diana's Brother on His Wrenching Eulogy: 'I Was Out of Oxygen' — and on Protecting Her Sons
Charles Spencer on His Sister Princess Diana's Eulogy

Double post auto-merged: July 26, 2017, 04:44:12 PM

The Secret Princess: Diana's Brother Reveals the Private Side of His 'Incredibly Brave' Sister
Charles Spencer on His Sister Princess Diana in People Magazine

Double post auto-merged: July 26, 2017, 04:46:41 PM

Earl Spencer 'lied to' about Princes William and Harry wanting to walk behind Diana's coffin
Earl Spencer 'lied to' about Princes William and Harry walking behind Diana's coffin

Double post auto-merged: July 26, 2017, 04:51:01 PM

Diana's brother says royal officials LIED to him that William and Harry wanted to walk behind their mother's coffin as he claims there have been four break-in attempts at her grave
Earl Spencer talks about Princess Diana's funeral | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: July 26, 2017, 04:55:48 PM

Grave robbers have targeted Princess Diana's grave, Earl Spencer reveals
Grave robbers have targeted Princess Diana's grave, Earl Spencer reveals

Double post auto-merged: July 26, 2017, 04:57:33 PM

Princess Diana's brother says he was lied to over princes following coffin
Princess Diana's brother says he was lied to over princes following coffin | UK news | The Guardian

Double post auto-merged: July 26, 2017, 04:58:41 PM

Earl Spencer 'lied to' over William and Harry walking behind Diana's coffin
Earl Spencer ?lied to' over William and Harry walking behind Diana's coffin | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Double post auto-merged: July 26, 2017, 05:00:25 PM

IMG_0060 ? Postimage.org

sandy

I don't think William and Harry were necessarily playing the blame game. They thought back to the event and in retrospect felt it was something they should not have done. As I recall from the books about that time period, Philip had told William that he would regret it if he had not walked behind the coffin. I think that if they did not, they may well thinking they should have. It happened and it's over but they are just expressing their feelings.

I don't think they hold any grudges for their Uncle Earl Spencer they did work with him and Diana's sisters on the DIana Memorial events. There was much raw emotion back then and it was not the time for sitting and thinking things out. It was a horrendous event for them no matter what.

Diana's mother was upset that she was not allowed to see her daughter's body in the casket. It was closed. She told her biographer it was the second time she was not allowed to see a deceased child. She was not allowed to see her baby John's remains.

Without the boys' participation, the three adults may well have opted out of walking behind the casket.

royalanthropologist

He he. I think Earl Spencer must some kind of swear word in the royal circles :hehe:. The Windsors are not prone to emotional displays but I am sure they would spit on him if they could do it in private. Apparently after the funeral, the QM had a party (prior engagement) and never once mentioned anything about Diana or the funeral itself.