William: Lord High Commissioner Church of Scotland

Started by sara8150, January 25, 2020, 05:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

Sorry, but appointing William as Lord High Commissioner for Scotland isn?t going to do anything to strengthen English/Scottish ties. If Anne, who genuinely has some Scottish links through sport etc and is moderately well-liked there, didn?t make any difference (to the popularity of England and the BRF, because this is what it?s all about)  no other member of the RF will. 

wannable

It's perfect timing; the Scots don't want a referendum and Nicola is in deep chit chat.

I hope William's guests are diverse, all Scottish and truly liked by their people.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on March 22, 2021, 03:46:53 PM
I hope to see a (bit more) modern version with daily reels/1 full documentary of both the Assembly days and especially PW hosting at the Scottish Palace his guests.  It's time 2021! for marketing and publicity for the COE.

Scottish news outlets show a few clips of the Assembly when it?s in session. English news organisations don?t usually bother, no interest. The events at Holyrood Palace are strictly formal and would be of little interest even to Scots, whoever hosts.

And why would the Church of England need marketing and publicity at the Scottish Assembly? They are two separate organisations, one is Anglican the other Presbyterian. Different structures, different history.

Presbyterianism is more akin to Lutherism due to John Knox?s influence. No bishops, only Elders who have a very different role. While Anglicanism evolved from Henry VIII?s split from Rome, but still retains some of its rituals such as the Host, choristers etc.

Double post auto-merged: March 22, 2021, 09:44:54 PM

The SNP is likely to win the next election, to be held this May I think, and the leaders, not just Sturgeon, will then decide to hold a second referendum.

wannable

More social media tweets and Instagram reels and a documentary, you never know until it's done first time.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on March 22, 2021, 09:46:12 PM
More social media tweets and Instagram reels and a documentary, you never know until it's done first time.

I doubt that there?s a clamour, even in Scotland, to have a documentary about the Assembly, whoever hosts it. The (Presbyterian) Church of Scotland remains the official Church north of the border, but Scots, like most people in the UK aren?t particularly religious any more. UK society is generally a secular one.

wannable

He has to try. Just like the polls indicate the people there do not want referendums.  A younger millennial is taking the role and may or may not create interest, impact.  Those fears of not trying results in never knowing.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on March 22, 2021, 10:19:31 PM
He has to try. Just like the polls indicate the people there do not want referendums.  A younger millennial is taking the role and may or may not create interest, impact.  Those fears of not trying results in never knowing.

I think you are very much overestimating the impact of the role. It is very much a formal, ceremonial one linked to the British Crown and various royals have been appointed before for their twelfth month role which generally centres around the annual Assembly. Sorry, but I can?t see a younger royal or one of any age bringing enthusiastic younger Scots into watching or joining in huge numbers with the doings of the Scottish Assembly. Scottish Parliament maybe, but not this.

And polls reporting that people being sick of referenda doesn?t mean that the SNP isn?t going to try again in another couple of years. The fact of the matter is that the English aren?t very popular north of the border except as tourists, and if the road was clear for a successful withdrawal from the UK and what Scots believe is England directing their affairs I believe that most Scots would leap at the chance.

And after independence would come a referendum about a Scottish republic. As the Crown is widely seen there as being English in nature (except for Balmoral holidays most royals besides the Queen wouldn?t come to Scotland more than a dozen times a year and that is being generous, lol) most Scots would vote for a republic.

wannable

Richard Palmer
@RoyalReporter
A 39-year-old man has been arrested after police were called to the Palace of Holyroodhouse, the Queen?s official residence in Edinburgh, following a report of a suspicious item last night. Bomb disposal experts made it safe.

Macrobug67

Quote from: wannable on May 19, 2021, 04:55:52 PM
The trip is a win win situation.  So William's time at Church of Scotland, will be joined later by Kate.

Can we change the title of the thread to Scottish Tour 2021

I have set up a new thread for the tour Cambridges Scotland Tour May 2021