Kate: Mental Health Charities and Patronages

Started by TLLK, November 06, 2014, 07:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Quote from: Canuck on February 12, 2015, 01:19:23 PM
Bringing attention to charities is a big part of what Royals do, but it's not the only thing.  Visiting with staff and patients to give them a bit of a boost (especially when the patients are kids), learning about the organization to more effectively work with them/better understand the area they work in, undertaking private planning sessions, introducing groups to one another, etc. are also all things that Royals do. 
:thumbsup: Agreed.

Double post auto-merged: February 12, 2015, 03:46:22 PM

Quote from: Macrobug on February 12, 2015, 12:42:58 PM
If you are not interested enough in the charities to look them up that is your problem. I don't see why a photo is going to make a person even more motivated.  If anything, your comment underscores one of the possible reasons for not publishing the event ahead of time - to shine the spotlight on the charity and remove the focus off of "what did Kate wear". Because, quite frankly, that is the only thing missing.  We get the rest of the info: the charity, the purpose and the fact Kate was doing something.
"What Kate, Letizia, Mary, Sophie, etc.. wore" is too often the focus of media coverage. IMO I'd rather know about the charity and how they are providing assistance.

HistoryGirl

Or just more interested in facts than assumptions. And isn't that the whole point of royal patronage, to have more interest in the charity and acquainted with that they do since it is about the organizations.

TLLK

^^^I agree HistoryGirl. Everyone has their own reasons for commenting on royal engagements. Personally I do want to know what the is purpose of the charity/institution/scheme that they're working for as the patron.

Apparently she spent 3 hours at the hospital this week so I'm going to guess that she is interested in learning more about the treatment options available to these patients.

cinrit

Quote from: HistoryGirl on February 13, 2015, 11:13:37 AM
Or just more interested in facts than assumptions. And isn't that the whole point of royal patronage, to have more interest in the charity and acquainted with that they do since it is about the organizations.
Bingo, History Girl! :thumbsup:

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Canuck

A bit more information about the visit in this article:

QuoteKate, 33, who is building on her knowledge about mental health and the difficulties faced by young people, made a quiet, unannounced trip to a school on Tuesday.

And she stayed a total of three hours, which was a surprise to palace staffers who had expected a shorter visit.

Kate put the sometimes nervous children at ease, a mother imparting some of her own news. Head teacher Dr. John Ivens tells PEOPLE that when she met some of the 7-year-olds, "she mentioned the shared experiences that George had experienced, experiences he would share with them."

He added: "It was done in a totally natural parental way which is lovely to hear ... She was exceptionally natural with the children, and it enabled them to relax and carry on with what they were doing. I noticed how she really listens. It wasn't a matter of just coming back with a response that is polite and diplomatic but one that is thoughtful and individual."

http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20395222_20901220,00.html

I think it's fabulous that Kate is developing a real interest in mental health issues in children, it's an area with a lot of stigma where having someone really visible as patron can do a lot of good.

Lady Adams

Ahh, this explains the purpose for the visit, aside from visiting with children: a video message. I knew photos would come out.  :wink:

Duchess of Cambridge records video message urging 'early action' for children struggling with mental health issues | Daily Mail Online

"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Macrobug

So happy that this issue is being highlighted.  Good for her. :thumbsup:

GNU Terry Pratchett

Macrobug

Place2Be Children's Mental Health Week 16-22 February

QuotePlace2Be is launching the UK's first Children's Mental Health Week (16-22 February).

We're thrilled to have the support of our Royal Patron, HRH The Duchess of Cambridge. We want parents and children everywhere to know that asking for help is not a sign of weakness.

This is incredibly important.  Even though I am in Canada, I am going to advertise this at my clinic.  I am impressed with the work that they have done and I hope this gets the message out
GNU Terry Pratchett

TLLK

^^^It's not an easy topic to share with families, but school staff can often be a source of referrals where parents can find help for their struggling students.

tiaras

She is very clear in this video, no over exaggerated accent or facial expressions, it feels like she is talking to you through the video. Good cause  :thumbsup: as for the speeh, it's a big improvement from last time
EACH Royal Patron, HRH The Duchess of Cambridge, supports Children's Hospice Week - YouTube.

Macrobug

I remember when I was in uni that there were discussions that mental illness did not occur in children - that it started with puberty.  I remember thinking that the researchers were wrong.  It is good to see such a different attitude now and that things have changed in the last 25 years. 

We need to identify the children as soon as possible and promote how to seek support for the families.  I find that navigating through the quagmire difficult as a health care provider - it is a nightmare for the family.

( @tiaras who is the lady in your avatar?)
GNU Terry Pratchett

Lady Adams

Quote from: tiaras on February 16, 2015, 01:42:24 AM
She is very clear in this video, no over exaggerated accent or facial expressions, it feels like she is talking to you through the video. Good cause  :thumbsup: as for the speeh, it's a big improvement from last time
EACH Royal Patron, HRH The Duchess of Cambridge, supports Children's Hospice Week - YouTube.

I have to say, she did a great job in the video. Best video/speech she's ever done. It was far more substantive that we've seen before.

"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Macrobug

^This Canadian had to look that one up.  Hey, she and I have the same birthday!  I take it she is someone you enjoy watching?

I agree LA - this video is the best she has done so far.  Not an easy thing to do for many people - most people look like a deer caught in headlights. 

This is the kind of thing I like the RF doing.  Giving a recognizable face to not-so-easy-to-discuss topics.  I hope this week gets a lot of attention.
GNU Terry Pratchett

tiaras

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter

QuoteJust 6% of Britain's mental health budget goes on children. Health service spending on child mental health has fallen 6% since 2010.
Interesting to see the Duchess of Cambridge stepping up to tackle slightly edgier issues head on with a direct message.
Personally, I feel that Kate too often hopes to get messages over via pictures and listening to people explaining important issues.
It's far more powerful if the public can hear her stating what the problems and solutions are, though not every single time of course.
She's a very bright woman, passionate about some causes. If we hear her voicing her concerns, media coverage is less likely to be her outfit.

Amen  :thumbsup: This is what I've been saying all along she just needs to take it easy and know that the media attention she gets isn't the enemy, she can use it to help reach out to many people and help out more than than the average person.

Also the new PR  guy needs to get a round of applause  :thumbsup: Because filming this at the hospice instead of at home in the palace with the previous videos background made her seem disconnected, rather than the hospice Background in the recent video.
Prince William, Kate Middleton and Prince Harry appoint Royal Bank of Scotland PR man as new communications supremo - Mirror Online
Wonder how much they offered him because he stepped a level down imo.

cinrit

cinrit

William is her husband, they share interests even though he's not the patron, and everyone knows who he is.  I don't see shy she shouldn't mention him.

Cindy

HistoryGirl

Man, even with such an important message, it's still lost amongst insignificant nonsense. Nothing to do but shake my head.

cinrit

Quote from: HistoryGirl on February 16, 2015, 01:22:05 PM
Man, even with such an important message, it's still lost amongst insignificant nonsense. Nothing to do but shake my head. 

:thumbsup:

Cindy

Macrobug

GNU Terry Pratchett

TLLK

Quote from: cinrit on February 16, 2015, 02:13:04 PM
Quote from: HistoryGirl on February 16, 2015, 01:22:05 PM

:thumbsup:

Cindy
:nod: :goodpost:@HistoryGirl

Macrobug

Duchess of Cambridge visits South London and Maudsley - South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust.

QuoteDr John Ivens said: "The Duchess`s visit went exceptionally well.  The pupils in the school who came from Acorn Lodge, the Bethlem Adolescent Unit, Snowsfields Adolescent Unit and the Intensive Treatment Programme, were able to meet and talk with her, either directly or by video conferencing."

"I am sure it was an experience that they will remember forever. The visit came as a result of a talk given last summer on the work that goes on both in the hospital and the school.  The Duchess`s three hour visit showed this was of keen interest to her.

"The Duchess also took part in a science experiment with children at the school`s Maudsley site through a video conference."
GNU Terry Pratchett

x-Goody2Shoes-x

An important issue, and I agree with the message of the video.  :nod: She starts off a little shakily, but once she gets into her stride, she seems to go OK. I think her speech making has improved a little - although the pauses seemed a nit clunky, and at times overly long, almost like she was having mini bouts of stage fright. Maybe this will get better with more speeches?

Also, on a totally shallow note, I really didn't like her dress....  :thumbsdown:
"But as the years went on, I realised that all I really want to be, all told, is a human. Just a productive, honest, courteously treated human. One of 'The Guys'. But with REALLY amazing hair."

TLLK

Rebound

Kate's visit to these schools and making the video was to highlight the cause of children's mental health. She doesn't "use" children any more than any other royal does. If she didn't care, she'd support another cause. It reminds me of the mental health issues of AIDS children that Harry addressed in his "I have a secret" campaign.

And as I recall, Harry's trip to the mid-east was not official, but from the beginning, before the Sultan's illness, a private, publicized visit to  solidify ties with other royal families and at their invitation. Since so many posters describe W&K's OFFICIAL royal tours as vacations, it was only fair to characterize Harry's "tour" as a vacation. I was fascinated by W&K's trip to Polynesian islands and how 2 cultures merged and found harmony, but, alas, it became about a vacation. It is fair to co-opt Harry's trips as well.

Children's mental health is, IMO, becoming a more and more important issue. As societies, we need to address mental health in children rather than wait until adulthood. Children are malleable, as ISUS terrorists know. Children don't grow up in a vacuum and they need a great deal of help and education to become happy, well-adjusted, productive members of society. Bravo to the young royals for highlighting it.

TLLK

Quote from: Rebound on February 16, 2015, 08:30:59 PM
Kate's visit to these schools and making the video was to highlight the cause of children's mental health. She doesn't "use" children any more than any other royal does. If she didn't care, she'd support another cause. It reminds me of the mental health issues of AIDS children that Harry addressed in his "I have a secret" campaign.

And as I recall, Harry's trip to the mid-east was not official, but from the beginning, before the Sultan's illness, a private, publicized visit to  solidify ties with other royal families and at their invitation. Since so many posters describe W&K's OFFICIAL royal tours as vacations, it was only fair to characterize Harry's "tour" as a vacation. I was fascinated by W&K's trip to Polynesian islands and how 2 cultures merged and found harmony, but, alas, it became about a vacation. It is fair to co-opt Harry's trips as well.

Children's mental health is, IMO, becoming a more and more important issue. As societies, we need to address mental health in children rather than wait until adulthood. Children are malleable, as ISUS terrorists know. Children don't grow up in a vacuum and they need a great deal of help and education to become happy, well-adjusted, productive members of society. Bravo to the young royals for highlighting it.
:goodpost: I agree with you regarding the need for children to have access to mental/emotional healthcare if needed and hopefully someone will choose to inquire about it for one of their children.

Having public figures such as royals, sports stars, etc...highlighting a charity can give an institute the necessary exposure that their cause requires.