The Wales' Health and Emergency Services Patronages and Charities

Started by TLLK, November 27, 2015, 11:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

The Duke of Cambridge has become Patron of the London Air Ambulance 30th anniversary campaign.

sandy

Quote from: Blue Clover on January 03, 2019, 09:11:45 PM
Prince William worked in this area so he can relate.

He dabbled in this. He did not keep regular hours and got photo ops, with his security officer accompanying him. I'm glad he is moving up in royal duties.

TLLK

Blue Clover

I'm happy to see Prince William working! This is the perfect patronage for him.

amabel

Quote from: sandy on January 08, 2019, 04:12:26 PM
He dabbled in this. He did not keep regular hours and got photo ops, with his security officer accompanying him. I'm glad he is moving up in royal duties.
Funny because royal work is all about photo opps and non keeping regular hours

TLLK

What an incredible view from inside the helicopter. Would love to see the great city below stretching out in all directions from the stately  Thames.

sandy

Quote from: amabel on January 09, 2019, 05:55:49 PM
Funny because royal work is all about photo opps and non keeping regular hours

It's apples and oranges. William wanted to take on a job outside of his royal work. He could not keep the job unlike his mates there. And was the only one who had the photo ops taken and could have flexible hours.

He finally gave it up and stepped up his royal duties which is what is really expected of him. He's two heartbeats away from being monarch and needs to work as a senior royal.

amabel

I don't know what your point is.  He wanted to do an ordinary job for a time, and he was able to.  you seem to be objecting to his having flexible hours, which was bound to be the case, and having photo opps.. yet you approve of his doing the royal job which is all flexbile hours and photo opps

sandy

I was answering your post. Why must you question me about my "point" when I was responding to your post? You were comparing royal work to a temporary outside job (non royal family related) that William took. I point out it was the same. If you want a "point" that's the "point."

I am merely pointing out that 1) he had flexible hours; 2) it was not going to be his life's work unlike what it was for his mates; and 3) William got photo ops at the base, which his mates never got and they did much of the work.

So why wouldn't I approve of the work William is doing as heir to the heir? And you don't? So what do you want him to be doing, not helping his grandmother and father and supporting them by pitching in, he IS a future monarch after all.

amabel

I'd hardly call it a temporary job, it was for a few years, and of course he got photo opps and had more flexibility in his hours htn his co workers.  His royal status drew attention to the work and was a help to the service.  He worked just as his co workers did. 
I don't know why you want him to do royal duties, which involve flexbilt hours and photo opps.. some would say that Royal work, is ALL photo opps.. it is nto a job in the sense that the ambulance work was  a job. 

sandy

It was not a long time in the scheme of things. Not 20 years. Totally incomparable to those who made it a career and stayed on for many years.

No he did not work as his co-workers did. He had a security person with him, he had more flexible hours, and his co-workers did not get photo ops.

I don't know why you don't want him to do royal duties. His father and grandmother  are much older now and he is still in his thirties.

amabel

Quote from: sandy on January 13, 2019, 11:53:21 AM
It was not a long time in the scheme of things. Not 20 years. Totally incomparable to those who made it a career and stayed on for many years.

No he did not work as his co-workers did. He had a security person with him, he had more flexible hours, and his co-workers did not get photo ops.

I don't know why you don't want him to do royal duties. His father and grandmother  are much older now and he is still in his thirties.
He is doing royal duties - Im fine with the amount he's doing.. Im not a great fan so I am not bothered if he's not in the papers every day
I don't know why you keep referring to his photo opps. Of course he got photo opps, he was bound to, as he is royal.  His photo opps drew attention to the work that is doen by the service.  And obvisoulsy since he IS a senior royal, he would not be able to make this a lifelong career... He worked at it for a few years, now he is moved up to officially being a royal worker... just as his father worked for 5 years in the Navy and then moved on to Royal duties..

TLLK

Would like to add to @amabel's comments by noting that Prince William is not the only royal who has been photographed/filmed performing their military service. With the exception of Lichtenstein's Prince Hans-Adams and Prince Alois, QEII and all of Europe's current reigning male monarchs and their heirs have attended a military academy or training center and/or served in their nation's military for a few years. They were all photographed in uniform, camo gear, flight suits etc..  Certain positions in military service often do not follow a 9-5 schedule much like any first responder unit.

All of the royal serving would have had a somewhat flexible schedule as they'd be required to attend national events that their colleagues were not required to attend.  :shrug: All of the direct heirs in a hereditary monarchy  would have been able to  end their service if the reigning monarch was no longer able to reign due to illness, death, abdication and they had to ascend to the throne.

QuoteHis photo opps drew attention to the work that is doen by the service.  And obvisoulsy since he IS a senior royal, he would not be able to make this a lifelong career.
@amabel-Good points  and the photo ops brought attention to a charity that relies upon donations. EAAA saw a dramatic increase in corporate donations after Prince William began working for them. As we know, the BBC confirmed that William donated his EAAA salary back into the charity.

Donations to East Anglian Air Ambulance tripled since Prince William started work as a pilot - Cambridgeshire Live

QuoteBut charitable donations from businesses have tripled thanks to the Prince William effect, with the money increasing from ?55,101 in 2015 to ?163,082 in 2016.

The bulge in corporate donations to the charity shows that more companies have wanted to become involved with the charity since the Duke began working at the Cambridge base.

Prince William pilots last East Anglian Air Ambulance shift - BBC News

QuotePilot William Wales, as he is known at work, receives a salary for his job which he donates in full back to the EAAA charity.

amabel

TLLK, wasn't Harry interviewed and filmed during his time in the army?  And he also only did a very shrot time in combat duty though he was supposed to make the army his carreer for a long time..

TLLK

@amabel-Yes he was filmed and interviewed. TBH I believe that every European (except Lichtenstein) royal heir/current monarch was filmed doing some form of military service.

Here is CP Frederik-Navy Frogman (elite service) He even has the unit's tattoos on his leg.

Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark | Unofficial Royalty

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on January 13, 2019, 02:37:49 PM
@amabel-Yes he was filmed and interviewed. TBH I believe that every European (except Lichtenstein) royal heir/current monarch was filmed doing some form of military service.

Here is CP Frederik-Navy Frogman (elite service) He even has the unit's tattoos on his leg.

Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark | Unofficial Royalty

and I think the original intention, since Harry is not the direct heir, was fro him to be a full time army officer for a long period of time.. not to do say a 5 year stint. But he only was in the army for 10 years I think and he only did a short combat duty because of the problems and additional danger to his comrades  if he were in combat

TLLK

@amabel -Yes I agree. With the exception of Prince Richard, all of the BRF princes have served in the military during the 20th/21st centuries. It's the traditional career choice for them. They serve in the RN, Army, RAF and then in their thirties would begin full time royal duties. Princes William and Harry followed the path that the other adult princes did when they completed their military training.

Tweet from London Air Ambulance about William's visit.

Claire Park on Twitter: "An absolute honour and pleasure to talk to HRH The Duke of Cambridge on the 30th anniversary of @LDNairamb today. Blown away

QuoteAn absolute honour and pleasure to talk to HRH The Duke of Cambridge on the 30th anniversary of @LDNairamb today. Blown away by his insight and passion & how much he just really ?gets it? and really cares. We could all have talked to him for hours! @KensingtonRoyal

amabel

Harry as a younger son was in the same positon though as Andrew, not like Charles or William.  He wasn't perhaps expected to be In the military all his life, but he was expected to be a serving officer for a longer period than say 5 years or so.  But while Andrew I think stayed till he was 40, in the Navy, Harry only stayed about 10 years...
And he was interviewed and photographed and TV films were made about his army work, just as happened with William...

sandy

THe air ambulance job was not military work. William left the military and decided not to immediately move to full time royal work but work as an air ambulance pilot.

Double post auto-merged: January 13, 2019, 05:50:23 PM

Quote from: TLLK on January 13, 2019, 02:20:18 PM
Would like to add to @amabel's comments by noting that Prince William is not the only royal who has been photographed/filmed performing their military service. With the exception of Lichtenstein's Prince Hans-Adams and Prince Alois, QEII and all of Europe's current reigning male monarchs and their heirs have attended a military academy or training center and/or served in their nation's military for a few years. They were all photographed in uniform, camo gear, flight suits etc..  Certain positions in military service often do not follow a 9-5 schedule much like any first responder unit.

All of the royal serving would have had a somewhat flexible schedule as they'd be required to attend national events that their colleagues were not required to attend.  :shrug: All of the direct heirs in a hereditary monarchy  would have been able to  end their service if the reigning monarch was no longer able to reign due to illness, death, abdication and they had to ascend to the throne.
@amabel-Good points  and the photo ops brought attention to a charity that relies upon donations. EAAA saw a dramatic increase in corporate donations after Prince William began working for them. As we know, the BBC confirmed that William donated his EAAA salary back into the charity.

Donations to East Anglian Air Ambulance tripled since Prince William started work as a pilot - Cambridgeshire Live

Prince William pilots last East Anglian Air Ambulance shift - BBC News

this was the air ambulance job that was being discussed.

amabel

TLLK

AFAIK there is no law that the BRF men can only have a career in the military but I do believe that the Windsors need to consider that if they wish to "slim down" the monarchy, that other members (Charlotte, Louis) should have the opportunity to go into a career while performing the occasional royal duty or represent a patronage. IMO the Dutch have a good model for the Windsors to emulate.

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on January 13, 2019, 11:19:28 PM
AFAIK there is no law that the BRF men can only have a career in the military but I do believe that the Windsors need to consider that if they wish to "slim down" the monarchy, that other members (Charlotte, Louis) should have the opportunity to go into a career while performing the occasional royal duty or represent a patronage. IMO the Dutch have a good model for the Windsors to emulate.
OTOH, if the royal working family is going to be restricted to the sovereign and his kids, it may be in time to come that Charlotte and Louis will be needed... esp if Harry's children aren't going to be HRH or doing royal work
Of course there's no law that says the Royal heir has to serve in the military and I think that since WIll knew  he could not do combat duty, he would prefer to do something practical that he liked doing.