His Royal Highness, The Duke of Edinburgh-Death and Funeral thread

Started by PrincessOfPeace, April 09, 2021, 11:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrincessOfPeace

An Online Book of Condolence is now available on the Royal website for those who wish to send a personal message of condolence.

Visit The Royal Family for updates from Buckingham Palace and information about The Duke of Edinburgh's life and work.

During the current public health situation, Books of Condolence will not be available for the public to sign.

The Royal Family ask that members of the public consider making a donation to a charity instead of leaving floral tributes in memory of The Duke.

Send a message of condolence | The Royal Family

TLLK

I saw the message regarding the floral tributes and honestly I believe that the DoE would be pleased that people are being asked to make a donation to a charity instead of leaving flowers. I believe that this is what he would have wanted even if there was not a global pandemic.

QuoteThe Royal Family have the safety and wellbeing of the public in mind during these challenging times. The Family therefore ask that anyone wishing to express their condolences does so in the safest way possible, and that the public not gather at Royal Residences.

In accordance with public health advice, members of the public are asked to continue to follow the current Government coronavirus guidelines, particularly on avoiding meeting in large groups and on minimising travel, to keep themselves and others safe.

Members of the public may wish to consider making a donation to a charity of their choice, or one of The Duke of Edinburgh?s Patronages in memory of His Royal Highness, instead of leaving floral tributes.

sara8150

Quote from: TLLK on April 09, 2021, 03:38:44 PM
I'd like to thank @sara8150 and @PrincessOfPeace along with all of our members who are keeping us updated with articles today.

I found this one from the DM to have a treasure trove of photos from the DoE's youth and young adulthood. Many of these photos I'd never seen before and include ones with his parents and his cousin the late King Michael of Romania.

Prince Philip dies: The extraordinary life of the Duke of Edinburgh, from exile to Buckingham Palace | Daily Mail Online

You?re welcome I?m been kept me busy and update on death of Duke of Edinburgh

TLLK

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on April 09, 2021, 03:31:25 PM
Condolences from The Queen of Denmark: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNck7xdAOQt/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Condolences from the King and Queen of Belgium: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNcgaCoHNCz/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Condolences from the King of Sweden: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNcbst3Arby/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Condolences from the King and Queen of the Netherlands: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNce7sAnMqY/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I am truly impressed by the tone of these messages coming from Europe's reigning monarchs. They're formal but at the same time deeply personal, it's a testament to the relationship that Prince Phillip had with these current monarchs dating back many decades. The Danish message reminds us that Prince Phillip was also a Prince of Denmark as well as Greece and shows a photo of him wearing the Order of the Elephant.

TLLK

This is the message honoring the Duke of Edinburgh that has appeared on the Archewell site today.

In loving memory of His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh

In loving memory of
His Royal Highness
The Duke of Edinburgh
1921-2021

Thank you for your service...you will be greatly missed.

A message from the King and Queen of Bhutan expressing their condolences to HM The Queen and the people
of the UK. It also shares that prayers will be said and 1,000 butter lamps to be lit in his honor.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNc7dKZsSb0/?igshid=111p8d3lr75hh

PrincessOfPeace

The Canadian government has launched its site commemorating Prince Philip, which includes a section for messages from the public.

All flags are lowered *until sunset on the day of the funeral of His Royal Highness*.

Commemoration for His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh - Canada.ca

TLLK

This is a  very moving a poignant cartoon from the Daily Telegraph with Phillip's naval cap left on the seat of his consort's throne.

https://twitter.com/blowercartoons/status/1380492824504901637

TudorQueen

Wow I logged in on my lunch break to take a break and now I am in tears. I dont think I have ever cried over a royal death. Sad, but not cry.

Philip was an extraordinary man. He had some definite quirks, but he was an amazing person. And he will truly be missed.

I am happy to know he passed away at home at Windsor, not in some hospital, as he would have wished. With his wife by his side.

My greatest condolences to the queen. 74 years of marriage, 4 kids, 8 grandchildren, 10 great-grandchildren with another to come. He has been her life since he was a teen. Her strength and support through her reign but also through so many tough times starting with the death of her father but so much more. I can't even fathom the grief she must be feeling today, the sense of loss. Yes at 99 she knew it was coming, but that still will not make the loss any easier for her.

My love and thoughts to the rest of his family as well. Fortunate that he saw the birth of Lucas and August before he died. Sad he won't be here to welcome Baby Sussex.

I know he always wanted a smaller funeral, and I guess covid answered, but it is still a shock to see one during it.

The message from the Bhutan royals.

Mobile Uploads

Thank you everyone for your posts. I have to get back to work, but will read more of your links later. Thank you.

PrincessOfPeace

Following the death of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, the Abbeys tenor bell has begun tolling 99 times, once for each year of his life.

The tenor bell is the largest of the Abbeys ten bells and is traditionally tolled upon the death of a member of the Royal Family.

Video: https://twitter.com/wabbey/status/1380569529466695681?s=20

Macrobug67

Lovely tribute.

The only other sound that can make me emotional more than bells in tribute is someone playing Amazing Grace on the bagpipes in tribute. 

TLLK

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on April 09, 2021, 05:33:22 PM
Following the death of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, the Abbeys tenor bell has begun tolling 99 times, once for each year of his life.

The tenor bell is the largest of the Abbeys ten bells and is traditionally tolled upon the death of a member of the Royal Family.

Video: https://twitter.com/wabbey/status/1380569529466695681?s=20

Yes it appears to be happening every minute. The video is showing very gloomy skies over that part of London.

wannable

Philip's funeral is set to be next Saturday after eight days of national mourning: Prince won't lie in state before ceremonial service at Windsor - as royals face dilemma over who to invite because of 30-person Covid rule

TLLK

While the BRF have requested that the public not visit and leave flowers, it appears that people are still gathering outside BP.

Also Princess Anne and Prince Edward were interviewed in advance of the DoE's death for a program to be released at his passing.

Prince Philip: Princess Anne and Prince Edward pay tribute to their late father | ITV News (click on the link to view the videos)

QuotePrincess Anne and Prince Edward have paid tribute to the Duke of Edinburgh following his death, aged 99. In interviews recorded for broadcast, the Princess Royal and the Earl of Wessex reflected on their loving relationship with their father and the nation's longest serving consort. Paying tribute to His Royal Highness, they shared their personal childhood memories of the Duke and the Queen, the famed Duke of Edinburgh Award and their father's lasting legacy. Reflecting on her father's "nomadic" childhood, which saw him smuggled out of Corfu in an orange crate, to settling in Paris as a young child, Princess Anne said: ?It must have been really quite difficult because he was that much younger than his sisters.

sara8150

RICHARD KAY reveals Prince Philip's final days | Daily Mail Online

Prince Philip dies: Anne and Edward say life will now be 'completely different' | Daily Mail Online

Prince Philip dies: The distinguished military career the Duke of Edinburgh gave up for the Queen | Daily Mail Online

Prince Philip dies: Flags fly at half-mast in UK as public mourns Duke of Edinburgh | Daily Mail Online

AMANDA PLATELL: Prince Philip dies at 99 | Daily Mail Online

Prince Philip Death: Princess Anne, Prince Edward Speak Out | PEOPLE.com

Prince Charles Visits Queen Elizabeth After Prince Philip's Death | PEOPLE.com

Barack Obama Pays Tribute to Prince Philip | PEOPLE.com

Sarah Ferguson postpones weekend event after Prince Philip's death | HELLO!

Prince Charles comforts Queen after sad death of Prince Philip | HELLO!

Prince Charles visits his grieving mother at Windsor Castle following the death of Prince Philip ? Royal Central

Princess Anne and Prince Edward pay tribute to their father the Duke of Edinburgh following his death aged 99 ? Royal Central

Prince Philip: His children pay tribute in special programme - BBC News
Duke of Edinburgh?s children pay tribute to their father

Prince Philip: It's hard to imagine the Queen without the unforgettable Duke of Edinburgh by her side | UK News | Sky News

Prince Philip: Readers share their colourful memories of Duke of Edinburgh | UK News | Sky News

Saturday's national newspaper front pages | UK News | Sky News
Duke of Edinburgh?s front newspaper

Barack Obama pays heartfelt tribute to ?kind and warm? Philip: ?Will miss him dearly? | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Prince Charles rushes to see Queen at Windsor Castle after Prince Philip death ? pictures | Royal | News | Express.co.uk
Hello! Learned and Prince Charles rush to his mom?s side after his dad?s death

Princess Alice: Horrific ordeal suffered by Philip's mother before Duke married Queen | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Prince Philip POLL: Should statue be built to celebrate the Duke of Edinburgh's life? VOTE | Royal | News | Express.co.uk
We have wait and see till confirmed from Palace if HM Queen Elizabeth II would allowed or no

Prince Philip: Sir David Attenborough pays tribute to an 'admirable man' who was 'vigorous' in his conservation work | ITV News

A Royal love story: How Prince Philip spent his life by the Queen?s side | Meridian | ITV News
HM Queen Elizabeth II and Duke of Edinburgh?s married still strong but no divorce or split till died

Prince Harry scrambles to return for Prince Philip's funeral after talking to dad Charles - Mirror Online

Queen forced to choose who attends funeral as royal 'desperately anxious' over Covid - Mirror Online

We're all weeping with you Ma'am ? Britain mourns death of Prince Philip at 99

Prince Charles seen leaving Windsor Castle after visiting the Queen as Palace announces Prince Philip's death aged 99

How Prince Philip was a devoted dad, father figure to Diana and 'legend' to grandkids

Lasting tribute to Prince Philip after great grandchildren were named in his honour months before his death

Prince Philip was a real ale lover who would have loved to see pubs re-open

Prince Philip... the glowering, cantankerous icon that never let Her Majesty down

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14601706/prince-philip-tributes-brits-mourning/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14597161/prince-philip-mourners-buckingham-palace-windsor-dispersed-police/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14598214/prince-philip-daughters-in-law-welcomed-family-shame/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14601502/jeremy-clarkson-you-never-saw-prince-philip-slouch/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14602080/royal-navy-warships-prince-philip-devoted-naval-commander/

https://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/philip/prince-harry-will-be-permitted-to-attend-prince-philips-funeral-on-compassionate-grounds-158161/

https://www.luxtimes.lu/en/business-finance/prince-philip-queen-elizabeth-s-activist-husband-dies-at-99-60703e6fde135b9236a1440a

TLLK

The British Monarchy website has announced that gun salutes will be fired tomorrow to mark the passing of the DoE.

Gun Salutes | The Royal Family

QuoteOn Saturday, 10th April at 1200, a Death Gun Salute will be fired to mark the death of His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. Across the United Kingdom, in Gibraltar and on Her Majesty?s Ships at sea, 41 rounds will be fired at one round every minute for 40 minutes. The Gun Salutes will be broadcast online and on television, and members of the public are encouraged to watch from home.

In London, The King?s Troop Royal Horse Artillery will use the same guns that were fired for Her Majesty The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh?s Wedding in 1947, and at The Queen?s Coronation in 1953.

The tradition of Gun Salutes being fired throughout the country to mark significant national events dates back to at least the eighteenth century, and there are historical records of salutes taking place as early as the 14th century when guns and ammunition began to be adopted more widely. Similar gun salutes were fired to mark the death of Queen Victoria in 1901.

A message from Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece which includes some family photos of Phillip that I'd not seen before.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNddCb_s_AK/

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on April 09, 2021, 10:48:14 PM
The British Monarchy website has announced that gun salutes will be fired tomorrow to mark the passing of the DoE.

Gun Salutes | The Royal Family

Very appropriate for a naval officer, even though Prince Philip would probably have grumbled at ?the fuss?!

TLLK

Yes @Curryong-Can't you hear him now grumbling about the waste of time and energy.

I had a thought while Phillip's funeral is likely to be CoE, I wonder if one of the Greek Orthodox clergy might be in attendance as well?

Curryong

I expect Harry to attend his grandfather?s funeral, but I don?t think Meghan and/or Archie will join him. The Royal Central has a short piece on how Harry can break his quarantine in the UK on ?compassionate grounds?, and that will probably be the case.

Prince Harry will be permitted to attend Prince Philip?s funeral ?on compassionate grounds? ? Royal Central

The media are apparently parked around Harry and Meghan?s home in Montecito, waiting to see whether and when Harry will leave. Exactly what?s needed at this time.

I believe the whole RF knew that Prince Philip was very ill over the next few weeks, and given his age it was touch and go as to whether he?d be celebrating his 100th birthday. If that was so then probably travel and quarantine arrangements have already been made for Harry just in case, and he might well have already left his home before the crows gathered outside.

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on April 09, 2021, 10:53:46 PM
Yes @Curryong-Can't you hear him now grumbling about the waste of time and energy.

I had a thought while Phillip's funeral is likely to be CoE, I wonder if one of the Greek Orthodox clergy might be in attendance as well?

Perhaps under normal circumstances, but that would be one more person to add to the gathering, wouldn?t it, so I?m not so sure under current regulations. Apart from relatives making up the 30 allowed, I do wonder whether his valet, RPO or other close attendants might be there. It would be lovely if they were.

TudorQueen

Quote from: Curryong on April 09, 2021, 11:08:44 PM
Perhaps under normal circumstances, but that would be one more person to add to the gathering, wouldn?t it, so I?m not so sure under current regulations. Apart from relatives making up the 30 allowed, I do wonder whether his valet, RPO or other close attendants might be there. It would be lovely if they were.

If this was a funeral under normal standards that would be wonderful. But with such limited people permitted, I don't think his vallet or RPO would make the cut.

Queen
Charles and Camilla
Anne and Tim
Andrew
Sophie and Edward
Louise
James
William and Kate
Peter
Zara and Mike
Beatrice and Edo
Eugenie and Jack
Harry

Thats 20 with just their kids and grandkids with spouses. 22 if Autumn (yes divorcing but still a chance) and Meghan (think may come) are there.

If they decide to include great-grandkids, anyone over 5 counts so Savannah, Isla, Mia, George and Charlotte would all count. That would bring us to 25-27 people.

I guess maybe if they decided it was not fair to invite just the Gloucesters and not the Kents or so on, they could invite a few of his staff for last 3. But it might be a bit odd in a mainly small private family funeral.

The people who are 'working' don't count towards the total. So a priest from the Greek Orthodox being there as well as a COE minister shouldn't count against numbers.

TLLK

I would expect that there might be at least one Mountbatten family member present ie: Lady Pamela Hicks or her nephew the current Earl of Burma.

Also I agree @Curryong that neither Meghan nor Archie will be traveling to the UK for the funeral. Travel for a very pregnant mother and an under two on a trans Atlantic flight is not easy under normal circumstances and with COVID restrictions, it would be dreadful for all involved IMHO.

sara8150

Quote from: Curryong on April 09, 2021, 11:03:24 PM
I expect Harry to attend his grandfather?s funeral, but I don?t think Meghan and/or Archie will join him. The Royal Central has a short piece on how Harry can break his quarantine in the UK on ?compassionate grounds?, and that will probably be the case.

Prince Harry will be permitted to attend Prince Philip?s funeral ?on compassionate grounds? ? Royal Central

The media are apparently parked around Harry and Meghan?s home in Montecito, waiting to see whether and when Harry will leave. Exactly what?s needed at this time.

I believe the whole RF knew that Prince Philip was very ill over the next few weeks, and given his age it was touch and go as to whether he?d be celebrating his 100th birthday. If that was so then probably travel and quarantine arrangements have already been made for Harry just in case, and he might well have already left his home before the crows gathered outside.

Harry will attend to Duke of Edinburgh?s funeral but Meghan and Archie stay in California because Meghan is pregnant must approve by OB/Gynecologist first before travel to UK

sara8150

Quote from: TudorQueen on April 09, 2021, 11:29:27 PM
If this was a funeral under normal standards that would be wonderful. But with such limited people permitted, I don't think his vallet or RPO would make the cut.

Queen
Charles and Camilla
Anne and Tim
Andrew
Sophie and Edward
Louise
James
William and Kate
Peter
Zara and Mike
Beatrice and Edo
Eugenie and Jack
Harry

Thats 20 with just their kids and grandkids with spouses. 22 if Autumn (yes divorcing but still a chance) and Meghan (think may come) are there.

If they decide to include great-grandkids, anyone over 5 counts so Savannah, Isla, Mia, George and Charlotte would all count. That would bring us to 25-27 people.

I guess maybe if they decided it was not fair to invite just the Gloucesters and not the Kents or so on, they could invite a few of his staff for last 3. But it might be a bit odd in a mainly small private family funeral.

The people who are 'working' don't count towards the total. So a priest from the Greek Orthodox being there as well as a COE minister shouldn't count against numbers.

Daily Mail says will be limit 30 people include HM Queen Elizabeth II and members of royal family
Prince Philip dead: Queen to enter 'eight days of mourning' | Daily Mail Online

sara8150

Quote from: TLLK on April 09, 2021, 11:37:53 PM
I would expect that there might be at least one Mountbatten family member present ie: Lady Pamela Hicks or her nephew the current Earl of Burma.

Also I agree @Curryong that neither Meghan nor Archie will be traveling to the UK for the funeral. Travel for a very pregnant mother and an under two on a trans Atlantic flight is not easy under normal circumstances and with COVID restrictions, it would be dreadful for all involved IMHO.

That what I?m saying on post #47