Harry can't marry an American woman from the US?

Started by Yale, November 23, 2016, 07:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yale

I asked this question to the Brits on here year 2 years ago I think?  And most of you said it wouldn't  be a problem. But now that he is , it's a problem.  Why?

Mods, please don't merge this.  The other thread is getting ridiculous and I want straight answers and good discussion not silly attacks on Meghan.

TLLK

I'm not British, but he wouldn't be the first member of the BRF in the line of succession to marry someone from outside of the UK or the Commonwealth. I can't see why it would be an issue.

lapalooza

OK, you are her ardent fan. I don't care about Harry's gf and I don't find Cressida very capable or nice person but I am not a fangirl of any person.  :friends: To answer your question; He can marry any woman of any age, race..I'd not use race card, it is almost blackmail. Also a woman cannot run a campaign in the press that she wants to get a ring. It is always, always up to the man and in the case of Harry, he is a prince and it is up to the Queen as well as one body if they approve or deny.
I don't find anything scandalous or bad on Meghan except her never ending posing on social media, her leaking family and her never ending publicity. I am sure she cannot believe what she landed but with the prince also goes huge responsibility and I am not sure if you or her get what's behind. Her profile seems to be ok, nothing against. Her problem is not her mum's heritage as you love to play racist card. Her problem is divorced status and RC faith. i am sure she is not practising Catholic so it is not problem if she converts. The problem is still her divorce bcs he cannot marry in Church and his law says he has to marry only in the church if not his marriage is invalid - his kids will be bastards, no titles, his so called wive will be seen as a gf or live in partner. If he will stick to the fact his marriage is valid, he loses his succession to throne and in his case also public purse and money he gots. Will Meghan love him as penniless prince living on salary of the soldier?

Double post auto-merged: November 27, 2016, 10:46:37 AM

Quote from: Yale on November 23, 2016, 07:21:08 PM
I asked this question to the Brits on here year 2 years ago I think?  And most of you said it wouldn't  be a problem. But now that he is , it's a problem.  Why?

Mods, please don't merge this.  The other thread is getting ridiculous and I want straight answers and good discussion not silly attacks on Meghan.
Not her mum's heritage, no one cares about that, but her divorce is huge problem bcs their marriage will be invalid so no change of the dating or he loses his claims and also money. You or her can choose. Or ask to annul the marriage with her ex husband producer but she was living with him for 7 yeears before they tied the knot, quite hard.

Curryong

The law was changed several years ago regarding divorcees remarrying in the Church of England. They can now do so. When Charles and Camilla were wed the law was unchanged.  If Meghan is a non practising Roman Catholic she can convert to Anglicanism, Harry's religion, anyway. If she doesn't wish to, (can't see why she wouldn't,) there are still 'mixed' marriages performed. Autumn, Peter Phillips' wife was a devout Catholic (though she later converted) and they married and remain so.

HsHCharlene

I'm not British but I have done a bit of research on the matter and according to the CoE site, they do make exceptions to the remarrying into the church after a divorce. But it's only a blessing after a civil ceremony. That's what Charles and Camilla got, they didn't have a full CoE wedding. They had a civil ceremony followed by a blessing of the marriage in a small church. It's not a church wedding at all. As well, Anne had to remarry in Scotland because she wouldn't have been able to get married in CoE after her divorce. So the same goes here, anyone wishing and hoping for a big princess wedding for Meghan will be sorely disappointed as since she is divorced she will not be allowed a big church wedding. I know some people will play that race card, not on here, but if Charles as the future king couldn't get a second church wedding and only a blessing, then chances are Harry is going to have to settle for a small wedding with this divorcee. I'm sure she doesn't know this and if she did, she wouldn't be pushing hard for this relationship.

Curryong

https://www.yourchurchwedding.org/article/marriage-after-divorce/

You can remarry in the Church of England after a divorce if the vicar of the parish agrees. It was changed after a Synod late in 2002. Charles and Camilla and Anne and Tim married before the agreement. I can't see the Dean of Westminster or the Archbishop refusing to marry Harry and his bride. There's only a blessing and civil ceremony if the clergyman refuses. Two years ago divorced friends married in their local church in Church of England ceremony.

Yale

Prince Charles has been divorced and is now married to a divorcee. So that argument doesn't wash with me.  Now Meghan being Catholic may be an issue I am not certain but I thought that changed a few years ago too?  However, just because she went to a Catholic school as a child doesn't mean she's still Catholic.  We don't know. But I guess we'll find out soon!

Trudie

Charles had a civil marriage the second time because it was the Queen as head of the Church who didn't approve of a full Church wedding the second time. The reason it was in the registry office was because they planned to marry in a room at Windsor with the blessing in the chapel however it would have to be licensed and that would have opened up the Castle to allow public weddings. If you want just google Why Charles and Camilla married in a registry office as I did.

As for Harry marrying Meghan why not? Harry is now fifth in line for the throne and his marriage would have no constitutional effect on the monarchy. I see no reason if he loves her why people are being so negative about this relationship I want to know how many people seek the royal family's approval for their own relationships.

sara8150

Im american also

Mostly royals have rightful to have civil ceremony like prince Charles and camilla

Some commmers who not married in royals like catholics must obey the royals and expect the monarchy..

Don't you remind when prince rainer married to American actress grace kelly they chosen have civil ceremony and ceremony..

Mostly european royal chosen have civil wedding and ceremony options

No matter harry wanted marry nice girls who are religions like Catholics but my step family also catholics but im not catholic also but im raise as Christian.

Yale

Quote from: HsHCharlene on November 27, 2016, 12:40:14 PM
I'm not British but I have done a bit of research on the matter and according to the CoE site, they do make exceptions to the remarrying into the church after a divorce. But it's only a blessing after a civil ceremony. That's what Charles and Camilla got, they didn't have a full CoE wedding. They had a civil ceremony followed by a blessing of the marriage in a small church. It's not a church wedding at all. As well, Anne had to remarry in Scotland because she wouldn't have been able to get married in CoE after her divorce. So the same goes here, anyone wishing and hoping for a big princess wedding for Meghan will be sorely disappointed as since she is divorced she will not be allowed a big church wedding. I know some people will play that race card, not on here, but if Charles as the future king couldn't get a second church wedding and only a blessing, then chances are Harry is going to have to settle for a small wedding with this divorcee. I'm sure she doesn't know this and if she did, she wouldn't be pushing hard for this relationship.

Meghan has not pushed for anything.  From what I have read it was he who pursued her til she agreed to date him.  One thing lead to another and it  became very serious after one of her trips to London and then they say she became very silent at that point.  Meghan is not the only one who wants this. Harry wants it too.

I think the wedding will be a big deal simply because of the fact that she is not British but American and black.  Many will want to see it on TV.

Cat00

I am not British, I am Brazilian, but I don't see what the problem of Harry marrying a foreign woman, in the case, American.
As for Meghan being divorced I can not seem to find a problem. There are several divorced in the royal family, including Charles who will be the future king. And @Curryong is right, I have heard that it is now possible for divorced to marry in the church in England And by the popularity of Harry worldwide, I doubt it is a simple ceremony :consoling1:

TLLK

Quote from: sara8150 on November 28, 2016, 08:04:11 PM
Im american also

Mostly royals have rightful to have civil ceremony like prince Charles and camilla

Some commmers who not married in royals like catholics must obey the royals and expect the monarchy..

Don't you remind when prince rainer married to American actress grace kelly they chosen have civil ceremony and ceremony..

Mostly european royal chosen have civil wedding and ceremony options

No matter harry wanted marry nice girls who are religions like Catholics but my step family also catholics but im not catholic also but im raise as Christian.

Royals in Monaco, Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands have to have a civil ceremony prior to the religious one because their nations only recognize the civil one. Religious weddings are optional in those nations. :)

SouthernBelle2003

I am American also and I would love to see Harry settle down.I think Meghan is a great woman who is living her life to the fullest doing it on her terms.I don't blame her for continuing her blog and social media accounts. Just because she is dating a prince doesn't mean she should hide out in a cave.If they were to get married , I would be up early with all my snacks ready to watch.

FanDianaFancy

Apples and oranges.

We  are comparing  people and situations that do not match this one.
Camilla was  RC  or is.  Religion can be changed.
PCharles  IS the HEIR to the throne.  He still waited for The QM to die.  QEII had to approve...I think it safe to believe  she would  have  preferred to  just wish  PC and Camilla would have just stayed  as a  couple, not married.

PC and Camilla were  not having any babies. PC has has

Camilla is  British and knows the land, people,  duties , rank,  job,  history  of the RF. two aristo/nobility born heirs curtesy  of DIANA.

Camila  is Brit  from  the fringes of the  rank and file .  She knows the  land, people,class system,
es,  etc.

Double post auto-merged: November 30, 2016, 05:18:13 AM

Camila  is Brit  from  the fringes of the  rank and file .  She knows the  land, people,class system,
duties 
of BRF.

Anne is  QEII's daughter , but her place inline is way  down. Peter  's place  is way down the line. These  people will not be the face  of the BRF , be the BRF when QEII dies.

PW and PH will be with PC.  PW and PH and wives, kids will be  .  King Charles,  PW, PH and their families, Camilla and  her  kids and grandkids  will be the ones you see at the Sandringham walk for church,  the Buck balcony, etc.

PH marrying an American? Yes. Depends on the American. Ex. Barbara  Bush  would be a go.

I believe  if  David  -PEdward wanted  to  marry and American  heiress as so may  of the nobility  did at that  time, it  would have  ok.  An American Protestant, never married, young, pretty,  heiress.  Churchills' mother was. Diana had an ancestor who was.

Dating someone  does not mean marriage.  Dating is not making a fool of someone ether.

PC dated Susan George. PAndrew dated Koo Stark.  So what!
People  date around.

Next, falling love or wanting to marry  or thinking about does not mean that one is the right one. this happens to people all the time. PW and Kate? On, off. On, off. One time the off  looked like it was really  off.

I always thought  that   P Margaret was just her spoiled self. If she had married  Jones, still, divorce.   Yes, she wanted to, but for the  Q's sister, at that time,  NO, some thing were  not for her and him and them.

Monacco's  RF are  lesser  R's and are trashy.

When it comes to RF , BRF  is  most  known  and  in their country, most indebted to  their  subjects.

I think MM is  pretty, young smart, charitable, well educated  completed a higher level of education(college univ. grad), knows how to walk, talk, dress, pose, sit, exit a car,  and more.
She is also bi-racial, American, MidClass, an actress, divorced, RC, 35, and  what else.
I  would bet on that  if they marry, it  will not be  a  happy ending, fairytale ending.  To take someone  , for anyone to  be  thrown in that lifestyle of  unlimited wealth and luxury  at what price... lack of freedom to  going where you want,  naming your kids what  you want, chosing their schools, chosing  your home chosing your doctor, chosing your kid's godparents, chosing your friends,  etc. but then they  do have  really  normal lives in their world.  YES, when I said chosing, yes, they chose, but the list.  Also, Kate gave up her old doctor  after marriage for BRF  OB/GYN.

Like I posted before,  MM  would  do duties of BR F  and  that does not mean being  in Amer. politics, awards shows, un. commencement  ...etc.

My opinion, PH  needs to  live and love his romance   with  MM, with him too.
Marriage , no.

Curryong

Grace Kelly was an American film star with a career 1000 the wattage of Meghan's, though. She was used to red carpets and glamorous industry events, plus she came from a wealthy though non-titled background. She went to Monaco after only a few meetings with Prince Rainier and had to learn a completely different culture, a different language, way of life and Royal duties. The Rainier/Grace marriage certainly had its strains. However, Grace performed her public duties very well, had heirs and served Monaco well. Just because you're a foreigner doesn't mean you can't learn about another country's traditions and customs. Human beings are enormously adaptable, and if Meghan takes everything on board she will be fine, imo.

Cat00

^   
Meghan is a cultured and intelligent woman. She learned Spanish in a few weeks, for sure she will learn everything about the country and English royalty very fast.
For me, anyone who thinks that Harry's wife has to be English, I feel xenophobia :thumbsdown:

Trudie

:thumbsup:I completely agree with you Cat. :nod:

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on November 30, 2016, 05:45:31 AM
Grace Kelly was an American film star with a career 1000 the wattage of Meghan's, though. She was used to red carpets and glamorous industry events, plus she came from a wealthy though non-titled background. She went to Monaco after only a few meetings with Prince Rainier and had to learn a completely different culture, a different language, way of life and Royal duties. The Rainier/Grace marriage certainly had its strains. However, Grace performed her public duties very well, had heirs and served Monaco well. Just because you're a foreigner doesn't mean you can't learn about another country's traditions and customs. Human beings are enormously adaptable, and if Meghan takes everything on board she will be fine, imo.
:goodpost: @Curryong  and I'm a little surprised that a few  are ignoring royal history.  For centuries women and men from other nations were married to other royals. It was rare for a royal to marry someone from their own nation. this is a fairly recent trend for the Windsors as well. In recent years  we've seen women from Australia, Argentina, Belgium, South Africa, and France  marry into Europe's royal families. As @Curryong has pointed out they've learned a new language, culture, set of traditions, provided heirs, and performed public duties. I cannot understand why it wouldn't be possible for Harry to marry an American woman. Both nations speak the same language at least!

FanDianaFancy

I agree with all of  you about MM. As I  posted before, MM is  accomplished,  college  university degree  educated, and more. 

As a  single  woman  , and I hate  comparing people, so I am not, but  just pointing  out that  MM  is far more accomplished as a  single  than Kate was  when she was a  single  woman.

If PH wants to marry her, of course  QEII  will give permission.  I doubt she  will deny  him her  BRF  permission and her grandmother to grandson blessing.

Back to the topic. Can  PH marry  an American? YES!
Can he marry  MM?  Yes.
Actually,  MM is a better  age  to H than Cressida was  . PH, PW, K, and MM are all the same  age group.

My  only point is the MM  has  a  lot of  baggage not her fault  and  would need more support from TPTB  than Kate. Diana was of that world  and she received no support. 
MM  would have to face the brutal Brit media  and THEN the  mean  Black American  press. Is she woke?  Why is Princess  MM a  sellout?
I can see the headlines now.

MM would need  a  clear understanding and support about her husband, his life, his world,  give up her former world, knowledge her duties, her new life, etc. 

Grace Kelly. IMO, no. Apples and oranges again in comparison.  Grace had  a  different  time to live in, parents who were  not divorced so she  did  not  know of that,  and  other things.  Rainer and Monacco  needed Grace far  more than she  needed  Ranier  and Monacco. The American press was great to her. I did read the  Monaco press at first  was ok, lukewarm or  she was set to  figure it all out  sort of on her own  a lot.

Curryong

Mary Donaldson was an Aussie, what's more a person, I would guess, who knew little of Denmark when she met CP Frederik. It was for her a real jump into the unknown. Australian life couldn't be more different, I would imagine, from life in Scandinavia. A different language, a different culture, a very different way of life as a Royal. The Internet was just coming into its own when Mary and Fred married, and the Australian media were more than interested. If Mary could do it and will eventually become a Queen I don't see why a Meghan/Harry match would be such a no-no when they will have much more freedom to make their own way.

Yale

If Harry wants to marry Meghan, he is going to do just that!! And we ALL KNOW THIS!! Harry doesn't care what anyone thinks!! So if you don't like it then lump it!