Royal Family Helps UK Tourism

Started by cinrit, October 27, 2014, 11:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteNine members of the Royal Family are to take part in a British Tourism Day to help boost the hard-hit industry.  Led by the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh, the senior Royals are visiting regions throughout Britain to publicise some of the Best-of-British attractions and beauty spots.

It is the first time so many members of the Royal Family have joined together for a so-called "theme day" to back a single aspect of British life. 
Between them they will visit a theme park, museums, miniature railway, theatre, pub, farm, hotel, caravan park, tea rooms, forestry centre, youth hostel and places of natural beauty.

A Buckingham Palace spokeswoman said: "This underlines the importance of tourism to the national economy. The wide variety of venues being visited shows how much the UK has to offer tourists both from home and abroad."

Many tourist itineraries include a royal event or attraction and the Royal Family recognise the part they can play, not only in celebrating the tourist industry's successes but also helping to boost its fortunes.

More: Royal Family helps UK tourism | Daily Mail Online

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Limabeany

Royal events may help, but I think Versailles and the Louvre have proven that more money would be made if all Palaces were open to the public and all works of art were exhibited not just the ones the Queen feels like hanging in a Palace people don't get to visit every day. If the royal collection were on display in its entirety or at least a larger portion of it, it would be quite profitable.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

snokitty

Quote from: Limabeany on October 27, 2014, 12:20:29 PM
Royal events may help, but I think Versailles and the Louvre have proven that more money would be made if all Palaces were open to the public and all works of art were exhibited not just the ones the Queen feels like hanging in a Palace people don't get to visit every day. If the royal collection were on display in its entirety or at least a larger portion of it, it would be quite profitable.

:thumbsup:  ITA
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

TLLK

A good point Limabeany though I know that the Louvre is much larger than BP so would there be enough space to house the art or would it necessitate a rotating collection?

HereditaryPrincess

I agree with those who have said this is a good point. I went to Versailles last week and it was packed. It's very easy to get lost amongst the crowds! Having said that though, the Monarchy is what makes Britain Britain for me (I've always thought Britain wouldn't be the same without the Monarchy and America wouldn't be the same without the Presidential system), and I think that the tourist industry would perhaps go down if we became a Republic. But, as I've said you have raised a very good point @Limabeany, so I'm starting to doubt mine. 

TLLK

LUCKY DUCK!!!! Loved touring the vast grounds surrounding the palace.

HereditaryPrincess

^^^ I did too. Versailles is fabulous (though a little big for me), and I fell in love with the decoration inside. The Petite Trianon is also worth the visit, but it seems so small (well, I guess there's a reason why it's called the Petite Trianon!) compared to Versailles. I also loved the decor of it. 

snokitty

Quote from: HereditaryPrincess on October 27, 2014, 04:08:33 PM

I agree with those who have said this is a good point. I went to Versailles last week and it was packed. It's very easy to get lost amongst the crowds! Having said that though, the Monarchy is what makes Britain Britain for me (I've always thought Britain wouldn't be the same without the Monarchy and America wouldn't be the same without the Presidential system), and I think that the tourist industry would perhaps go down if we became a Republic. But, as I've said you have raised a very good point @Limabeany, so I'm starting to doubt mine. 

What makes Britain (the good points) who she is to me is the innovations they brought to the world, the people and the beautiful countryside just to name a few. IMO if the royal family were gone Britain would survive.
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

TLLK

All good points snokitty and one person who helped place the spotlight on British innovation in the 19th century was Prince Albert's exhibition which featured the latest UK technology.  I believe the tourism statistics regarding the royal history of the UK. Consider the ongoing interest in the age of William the Conqueror, York/Lancaster Cousin's War, Tudors, Regency etc... Richard III's discovery and upcoming funeral brings new attention to the archeological treasures too royal or not.

HereditaryPrincess

Quote from: snokitty on October 27, 2014, 04:17:27 PMWhat makes Britain (the good points) who she is to me is the innovations they brought to the world, the people and the beautiful countryside just to name a few. IMO if the royal family were gone Britain would survive.

What I meant by that was the Monarchy was one of the factors of what makes Britain Britain IMO. There are of course, as you have said, other factors that makes Britain Britain. I've always very strongly supported the RF and the concept of a Monarchy (even though some members of my family have more republican views) and can't imagine it as a Republic, so I guess I'm quite biased here.

Limabeany

:hug: We are all biased as all opinions are biases of sorts! It's fun to share and read about each other's biases opinions!  :hide:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

SophieChloe

:hehe:  :hug:

IMO People come to this country for the history, not on the off-chance they might see a member of that family.  So I've never bought the tourism argument.  Get shot of them all tomorrow and tourists would still come in their droves.  And we'd save a load of money to boot. 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

TLLK

Agreed though my mom snapped a photo of an 18 year old Edward at Edinburgh Castle in 1982 so it can happen. (The historic part being that Edward still had a full head of hair.) :hehe:

cate1949

relative works in the tourism industry and told me they recently did a massive survey and yes UK tourism is way down but -the royal family isn't going to change that - the reasons UK tourism are down re: this survey were that (London being the main destination) Londoners are unfriendly and not very welcoming also the food.  So want to up tourism - change the rep of unfriendly Londoners improve the food.

Interestingly - Ireland remains a top tourist destination for the exact opposite reasons - very friendly people who are welcoming and decent food.  Take a hint London.

Curryong

London is a very expensive city too, which may have something to do with it. It's a pity other stunning places in England are neglected by tourists, the West Country, Lake District, Yorkshire dales, York itself, the Norfolk broads etc.

HereditaryPrincess

Quote from: TLLK on October 27, 2014, 05:35:03 PM
Agreed though my mom snapped a photo of an 18 year old Edward at Edinburgh Castle in 1982 so it can happen. (The historic part being that Edward still had a full head of hair.) :hehe:

@TLLK your post gave me a much needed laugh! Edward with a full head of hair is a rarity! :wink:  :happy15: On the more serious side, your mother was very lucky to spot Edward - was she at a royal occasion or just on holiday and happened to see him?

TLLK

Thank you HP. My parents were visiting my mother's brother who was a sub commander at the U.S. base at Holy Loch in the fall of 1982. He was there on a 3 year tour. This was their first trip overseas and it was very exciting. They'd arrived at Edinburgh castle for their tour when a red sports car pulled up and out came Edward and his RPO. They were allowed to move ahead of the group and as he entered the castle my mother snapped his back and side profile. Still had a full head of hair then and wore jeans/pull over sweater. They saw him through the castle but that was the only photo they took.

HereditaryPrincess

^^^ How exciting that must have been for your mother. :) I used to live very near to Kensington Palace although moved when I was little, and I've always said that if I were still there now, it's very likely that I would've spotted at least one royal!