The Wales' Official Foreign Visits & Tours Part 2 Feb. 2022 to present

Started by TLLK, February 09, 2022, 01:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrincessOfPeace

Jamaica didn't have to invite them. It's the same in Canada. Trudeau invited Charles and Camilla but afterwards there will be complaints about the cost.

wannable

I know, as I said weeks ago, Jamaica invited them, then someone here said no expenses, I said yes expenses.  It's as I'm saying now, bad economy times, don't do it.

TLLK

The Duke of Cambridge has arrived in Abu Dhabi representing QEII.
Prince William meets President Sheikh Mohamed in Abu Dhabi

QuoteBritain's Prince William arrived in Abu Dhabi on Monday to meet the President, Sheikh Mohamed, and convey his condolences over the death of Sheikh Khalifa.

The Duke of Cambridge is the latest prominent global figure to travel to the UAE capital to pay respects to Sheikh Khalifa and congratulate Sheikh Mohamed on his election as president.

He paid his sincere condolences, a statement from the British Embassy read.

"His Royal Highness also offered his warmest congratulations to His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan on his appointment as President of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Abu Dhabi."

Blue Clover

Nightowl

Question...don't the members of the royal family go on these tours not because they want to go there but because they were invited by another country?  Who  picks up the cost of these tours or is it split between the royal family and the country someone is visiting?

Curryong

The article below goes into details about royal tours and their cost.

Royal Tour Planning Process - What Happens on a Royal Tour & Who Pays For It

Planning

?Royal tours can take up to a year to plan, and are either instigated by the U.K. government, or by an invitation from the host country. The itinerary is put together based on whatever matters of national importance the host government would like to draw attention to, while also incorporating some of the visiting royal's personal interests.?

?Who pays?
The U.K. government usually covers the cost of the international flights that the royal party and their team require in getting to and from the country they're visiting, but the host nation covers the majority of costs. The theory goes that they have invited the royal party to visit, and the resulting publicity will showcase their country as a tourist destination and draw positive attention to causes and initiatives.?

That was what always happened with tours to Aus and NZ, Canada etc.

However, in the Platinum Jubilee year there was an announcement that there would be a change in the costs to the host countries on the Cambridges Caribbean tour and the Sovereign Grant, plus  Foreign Office/Commonwealth Secretariat would be covering most of the costs. (In practice this means the British taxpayer would ultimately be paying for the tour.)

Who is Paying For Prince William And Kate Middleton's Caribbean Tour?

As it was some officials and media in the Caribbean countries were landed with incidentals such as local security, policing, gifts etc, to which they strongly objected.

Nightowl

Thank you for all the information....I think these royal tours need a redo as to what and who is paying and what is done by the royal visiting these countries.  Maybe the firm should stay home and take care of business in their country first before going abroad.

TLLK

@Curryong -Thank you for sharing the informative article on Foreign Tours and the BRF. It is interesting that the Foreign Office opted to pay for most of the costs associated with the Cambridges' tour and I presume that they did the same with the Wessexes' as well. I have to wonder if it was determined that those island nations that depend heavily upon tourism, were not in the position to host these types of events after two years of lost income due to the pandemic?

Nightowl

Very intelligent question and great insight...the pandmedic has taken a huge toll on the entire world in all aspects of life...and it is not over yet regardless how many think it is.  Does anyone know who invited the royals to these islands or was it the British gov that made those decisions?  Personally I don't think either of these tours did much good for anybody this time around.

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on July 03, 2022, 01:12:28 PM
@Curryong -Thank you for sharing the informative article on Foreign Tours and the BRF. It is interesting that the Foreign Office opted to pay for most of the costs associated with the Cambridges' tour and I presume that they did the same with the Wessexes' as well. I have to wonder if it was determined that those island nations that depend heavily upon tourism, were not in the position to host these types of events after two years of lost income due to the pandemic?

I think it was a mixture of things, myself. Yes, local politicians were anxious not to have to pay the cost of a royal tour to these islands which have always been quite poor. It was also a gesture of goodwill from the Foreign Office/Commonwealth Secretariat that the British Govt (ie the British taxpayers would pay most of the bills) in Platinum Jubilee year as these Caribbean islands still have HM as their HOS. And photos of local tourist spots in foreign media never hurts.

However, I feel that the British Govt has been quite anxious about the Caribbean nations drifting away from the British sphere of influence for some time, both for trade and historical reasons. These anxieties were shared by the Queen who is, as we know, very much interested in Commonwealth affairs.

I think therefore that this tour was arranged to shore up local sentiment towards the monarchy that both Britain and these islands share and the mutual history of Britain and the local people. Unfortunately, I believe that?s where the FO (and Cambridge and Wessex staff who reconnoitred for the royals up to a year before the tour) went wrong. I think they  misread a great deal of local sentiment, which resulted, as we saw in missteps during both tours which rebounded on the royals concerned.

Who invited the royals for the tour? I think it was the FO who was behind it, judging by the sentiments of various local Caribbean  politicians during and after the Cambridge tour. I can?t imagine any of them wishing to invite royals simply in order to ?plain speak? to them about their country?s future, with the British media reporting on it and framing it in insulting terms.

They know it and the Cambridges and the FO now know what was conveyed, ie that the locals will decide their own destiny, whether with or without the Commonwealth (though I think they will remain within it) and almost certainly without having a foreign Head of State.

Curryong

An interesting article on the changing role and impact of Britain British Royals and the countries of the Caribbean that used to have colonial status and are now semi-independent.

?Perfect storm?: royals misjudged Caribbean tour, say critics | Monarchy | The Guardian

Nightowl

Thank you Curryong  for all the detail info about these tours.  I am of the firm belief that each country should have their own gov and leader appointed by the people of that country.  And if these islands do break away then it is up to them totally to make their country what it is today and not rely on the help of anyone else regardless of the past history...time to move on and take care of their own country and be proud they can do that.   Also I saw pictures of unhappy royals at some of the events and one that I did not like was just because HM and Prince Philip rode in the back of a jeep back in their time period does not mean that William and Catherine should do the same 40+ years later...times are very different now.........how could anyone approve that in the firm is not looking at what the people of the islands saw today. Learn from the mistakes and I hope the staff of the Cambridges and Wessex's realize there was mistakes made on their part and learn from them.

Even if HM is concerned about the islands moving on that does not mean it is a reflection on her...it is the times today when the islands want more freedom to do things, it is up to the islands now to sink or swim to shore.  If the islands do break away and still stay in the Commonwealth, that to me means that both sides are working together for the future....that is a win for both sides in my opinion.

Nightowl

Quote from: Curryong on July 04, 2022, 01:00:55 AM
An interesting article on the changing role and impact of Britain British Royals and the countries of the Caribbean that used to have colonial status and are now semi-independent.

?Perfect storm?: royals misjudged Caribbean tour, say critics | Monarchy | The Guardian

Oh....grrrrrrrr...when I see people wanting *reparations/money* for what happened hundreds of years ago makes me see red.....that is what I call GREED and an easy way out.  Does that mean that all the people that suffered at the hands of another country regardless of what country it is, should sue and get money from the country that did damage to them.....should I sue the British Gov for what they did to my family back in Ireland  by destroying homes and fields way back then....how much can I sue for what happened to my family hundreds of years ago? ....that is the same thing anyone on the islands who wants money for past mistakes regardless of the time period........Some people are just selfish and hateful and wanting an easy fat bank account all from the past mistakes made hundreds of years ago.......No wonder the world is in bad shape...they are a great example of laziness and greed.  Sorry for the rant mods....that really irks the hell out of me..Dr. S is a great example of that!

PrincessOfPeace

The Prince and Princess of Wales this morning departed from Heathrow Airport, London, for the United States of America and were received upon arrival this afternoon at Boston International Airport by the Governor of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts (Mr Charles Baker) and Mrs Baker.

Their Royal Highnesses this afternoon called upon Ms Michelle Wu (Mayor of Boston) at Boston City Hall, 1 City Hall Square, Boston.

The Prince and Princess of Wales subsequently attended a Welcome to Earthshot event at Boston City Hall.

Mr Jean-Christophe Gray and Ms Natalie Barrows are in attendance.

-  Court Circular || 30 November 2022

PrincessOfPeace

The Prince and Princess of Wales this morning visited Greentown Labs, 444 Somerville Avenue, Somerville, Massachusetts, United States of America.

Their Royal Highnesses today visited Roca Incorporated, 101 Park Street, Chelsea, Massachusetts.

- Court Circular || 1 December 2022

sara8150

wannable

Trending
#PrincessofWales

Trending
Harvard

Whatever Kate does, the other one goes ballistic hence the 'revenge'  :laugh: :hehe: (Someone wrote under Netflix Youtube trailer ''Mirror mirror on the wall who is the fairest of them all Catherine Princess of Wales, it got more than 20K likes, more than the 17K likes of the trailer)

IMO, William and Kate are mentally prepared to live (IMO it will be FOREVER) with the comings and goings of the desperate duo.  :orchid:

PrincessOfPeace

"The Prince and Princess of Wales are in early talks with the federal government over a potential royal visit to Australia.

The Albanese government is hopeful a visit will eventuate sometime this year, with predictions it would happen after King Charles' coronation in May.

Any royal visit is likely to tour some areas impacted by natural disasters, allowing the couple to see rebuilding efforts first-hand."

Prince William and Princess Kate were meant to visit Australia in 2020 but the trip was cancelled due the pandemic.

Prince and Princess of Wales in talks with Australian govt over potential visit | Sky News Australia

PrincessOfPeace

Prince William has made a surprise trip to Poland to "personally thank" Polish and British troops supporting Ukraine. -

The visit was kept secret for security reasons until Prince William left the Rzeszow military base, which is 60 miles from the border with Ukraine:

Video: https://twitter.com/RoyalFamilyITNP/status/1638597663993069580?s=20