William-Mental Health & Bullying Patronages & Charities

Started by TLLK, October 14, 2015, 10:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Clover

Interesting issue. I didn't know there were so many accidents and self-harm incidents on the River Thames - this will highlight the issue.

TLLK

Yes I wonder what is driving men on the Thames to harm themselves at such a high rate. I'm glad that men's mental health is one of the primary focuses for the Heads Together campaign. Sadly the stigma of discussing men's mental health remains among the population. For example I still see abusive comments on the tabloid forums directed at those who suffer from mental illness, those attempting to seek help, mental health providers and at those public figures who are trying to encourage people to seek assistance. While I do understand that there are unfortunately long waiting lists for those seeking help via the NHS, at least there are long standing programs ie Samaritans or newer ones like Shout where people can try to find someone willing to listen to them.

Blue Clover

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: TLLK on May 16, 2019, 02:08:30 PM
Yes I wonder what is driving men on the Thames to harm themselves at such a high rate. I'm glad that men's mental health is one of the primary focuses for the Heads Together campaign. Sadly the stigma of discussing men's mental health remains among the population. For example I still see abusive comments on the tabloid forums directed at those who suffer from mental illness, those attempting to seek help, mental health providers and at those public figures who are trying to encourage people to seek assistance. While I do understand that there are unfortunately long waiting lists for those seeking help via the NHS, at least there are long standing programs ie Samaritans or newer ones like Shout where people can try to find someone willing to listen to them.

But they are doing their best to bring it in to the open through the Football Association and other masculine avenues. Even the Prince of Wales is getting involved. They keep saying that addressing your mental health is no different than addressing your physical health - I do hope they understand that this will take some time and they shouldn't expect it to fall completely into place immediately. I know they've done a lot of research, studying and planning.  It is certainly a worthy endeavor, and poor mental health is a root cause of so much violence, unhappiness, and pain. Good on them!

wannable

I really wish when William went this week to Wembley Stadium there would be the entire football team and workers, but it is still a taboo, despite the video with famous footballers and England's coach, the date of visit at the stadium per se was not so encouraging - just a very few people; some white and blue collared men/women and a few sports people rather than crowds of Wembley footballers and employees.

@Princess Cassandra you are right though with it won't all happen in one day. Checking the KP twitter sight, one can tell they persist with the subject of MH, so that is encouraging. Including this Thames Campaign, apparently not only accidents but suicide attempts of self harm is something going on. I bet William will give a speech notifying the percentage per year.

TLLK

#OneMoreMinute campaign | Child Bereavement UK

QuoteEvery day bereaved families face the challenge, minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day, of learning to rebuild their lives after the devastation of bereavement.

If you had 'one more minute,' what would you say? Hear what bereaved families would say if they had one more minute with their special person who has died.

Thank you to all the bereaved families, patrons and celebrity friends of the charity who took part in the campaign including HRH The Duke of Cambridge, Mary Berry, Rio Ferdinand, Ben Fogle, Marina Fogle, Joey Essex, and Jason Watkins.

Our #OneMoreMinute film won Charity Film of the Year in 2019, out of more than 400 films that entered The Charity Film Awards. The campaign was also commended in Third Sector's Top 10 Digital Charity Campaigns and Just Giving's Best Charity Campaigns of 2017, and was a runner up in the National Campaigner Awards' Best Digital Campaign.

TLLK

wannable

Ahoy there, Your Highness! Dressed down Prince William gives a cheery wave as he launches a new Thames safety campaign
Prince William, 36, launched a new safety initiative on the Thames this morning
Dressed down Duke of Cambridge waved from a boat as he sailed down the river
Campaign aims to help prevent accidents and self-harm incidents on the river
Prince William launches a new River Thames safety campaign | Daily Mail Online

PrincessOfPeace

The Duke of Cambridge, President of the Football Association (FA), will visit Everton in the Community on Thursday 30 January as part of the Heads Up Campaign, to find out more about the charity?s work in the field of mental health.

Duke Of Cambridge To Visit Everton in the Community

wannable

Football is coming together to kick off the biggest ever conversation around mental health, in support of the #HeadsUp campaign
The Duke will attend a special event in London to launch the Heads Up Weekends on 5th February, ahead of #TimetoTalk Day.

Twitter

wannable

True for Rugby and American Football.

William's long term project with HeadsUp mental health is a message for everyone through the very popular UK sport of football (soccer for Americans)

TLLK

Quote from: wannable on January 29, 2020, 02:24:50 PM
Hopefully it will be taken by Harry, his Royal Patronage with the sport of Rugby is 'superior' than that of William.

Harry: Royal Patron of the Rugby Football League (all of the UK)
William: Royal Patron of the Welsh Rugby Union (only Wales)

Head injuries is typical for the sport of Rugby rather than Football (soccer for Americans)

Ah I see the difference. I originally thought that The Rugby Union was just for England.
So that would be cast a wider net than Weslsh Rugby-William and Scottish Rugby-Anne.

QueenAlex

Quote from: TLLK on January 29, 2020, 03:32:00 PM

Ah I see the difference. I originally thought that The Rugby Union was just for England.
So that would be cast a wider net than Weslsh Rugby-William and Scottish Rugby-Anne.

William is the future POW so he was likely to be patron of the Welsh Rugby...

wannable

William IS the Patron of the Welsh Rugby Union.

Quote from: sandy on January 29, 2020, 03:11:03 PM
Superior, how so?

Superior that Harry is the Royal Patron of the ENTIRE rugby football league, in other words, all the rugby teams in the United Kingdom, the compilation of the national teams of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Each of these national teams have patrons, i.e. William for Welsh (Wales) team, Anne for the Scottish team. 

Hence Harry was at the World championship in Japan 2019.

TLLK

Twitter

QuoteEverton in the Community
@EITC
👥
The Duke of Cambridge will today visit three #EitC mental health projects as part of @Heads_together
's #HeadsUp campaign.

Double post auto-merged: January 30, 2020, 03:41:45 PM

Photo gallery from today.

Duke Cambridge Liverpool January 30 Bilder und Fotos - Getty Images,%202020&sort=newest#license

wannable

On the ball! Prince William looks in good spirits as he visits Everton Football Club in Liverpool as part of the Head's Up charity campaign
Prince William looked upbeat arriving at Everton Football Club in Liverpool today
The royal, 37, who is President of the Football Association, was visiting Everton Football Club?s official charity
Charity is called Everton in the Community, is part of the Heads Up campaign

Prince William appeared upbeat as he arrived at Everton Football Club in Liverpool today.
The royal, 37, who is President of the Football Association, was visiting Everton Football Club?s official charity Everton in the Community, as part of the Heads Up campaign.
The Duke cut a smart figure in a khaki sweater, blue shirt and navy suit as he met members of the organisation to discuss the charity's three main projects.

Established in 1988, Everton in the Community uses the power of sport to motivate, educate and inspire, and is an exemplary model of a club harnessing its influence to support its fans and address key social issues affecting the local community.
The Duke visited three of the charity?s projects which provide crucial mental health support to different sectors of society.

The projects inlcude Stand Together, a programme which tackles social isolation amongst those aged 70+ living in Merseyside; Everton Veterans Hub, a project which uses sport to engage and support ex-service personnel; and Tackling the Blues, a sport and education-based programme targeting children and young people experiencing mental health challenges.

Prince William looks in good spirits as he visits Everton Football Club | Daily Mail Online

TLLK

Duke of Cambridge Visits Everton FC as Part of Heads Up - YouTube

QuoteThe Duke of Cambridge visited Everton in the Community - the official charity of Everton FC - on Thursday as part of the Heads Up campaign.

Prince William discussed the campaign with Everton first team players and saw the work that Everton in the Community does to tackle social isolation, support ex-service personnel, and help young people experiencing mental health challenges.

Again I am pleased to see the BRF visiting outside of the London metro area. Today's visit was in Liverpool.

More about Everton in the Community's programs.

Everton FC

Duke Of Cambridge Lauds Everton's Mental Health Work

QuoteEverton in the Community welcomed The Duke of Cambridge to Liverpool 4 on Thursday as he visited The People?s Hub as part of the Heads Up campaign and praised the charity for taking the lead in tackling the stigma around mental health and going above and beyond with its innovative delivery.

His Royal Highness spent the afternoon with the Club?s official charity to find out more about its programmes and how it uses its influence to support its fans and community and address key social issues affecting the local community.

He also visited three Everton in the Community projects which each provide crucial mental health support to different sectors of society - Stand Together, a programme which tackles social isolation amongst those aged 70+ living in Merseyside; Everton Veterans Hub, a project which uses sport to engage and support ex-service personnel; and Tackling the Blues, a sport and education-based programme targeting children and young people experiencing mental health challenges.

The Duke of Cambridge received a civic reception from the Lord-Lieutenant of Merseyside, Mark Blundell DL; the High Sheriff of Merseyside David Steer QC DL and the Lord Mayor of Liverpool, Councillor Anna Rothery before being introduced to Everton in the Community Chief Executive Officer Richard Kenyon who served as the host to His Royal Highness during his time with the charity.

TLLK

Twitter

QuoteCC 30/1 30th January, 2020
The Duke of Cambridge this morning visited All Saints Primary School, 4 Oakfield, Liverpool.

wannable

Quote from: QueenAlex on January 31, 2020, 06:45:47 PM
its a non contact sport, as far as I can recall.  Rugby Union is a lot rougher...

Harry with the 'superior' rugby patronage went once to a rugby head injury charity.  That is the no. 1 common injury in that sport.

Back to the subject of the thread, William is reaching via Football (Soccer for Americans) his mental health HeadsUp project, because that is the most watched sport in the UK. 

Back to the out of topic, in Football (soccer for Americans) the no. 1 injury is knee injuries.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: sandy on January 29, 2020, 01:35:58 PM
Attention should also be paid to head injuries of athletes that cause brain damage. It is a serious issue.
Yes indeed, and hopefully these professional athletes have joined in with him for this very reason. They are all aware that head injuries usually lead to severe mental health issues, just as in American football and soccer. We'll have to read about it to see if head trauma illness is discussed as a cause.

Princess Cassandra

Revelations about head injuries in contact sports are getting so much attention, where ten years ago it was just not discussed much at all. That is sure to save a lot of lives, I'm sure! 
PS: I was always concerned about my children's safety in their sports, riding and rowing. We were able to find state-of-the art riding helmets, which was good. Rowing does not bring a danger of head injury, but when their college career ends those who participate have problems with almost every joint in their body. That is still not discussed as far as I can tell.

sandy

Mouth guards are also important. To prevent injury to teeth. Dentists recommend them to people who participate in sports.