engagements carried out in 2007 for PW

Started by Nighthawk, January 01, 2008, 12:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MapleLeaf

Quote from: leogirl814 on January 05, 2008, 09:19:19 AM
William will be 26 this year, and he should be doing a lot more and getting drunk a lot less (never in public!) if you ask me.

Harry is 23, and was three years behind William in school because he has a September birthday, so he would be in his fourth year at uni right now if he chose that path. This means he is still young. If he continues what he's doing now when he gets to be 25, quarter century and old enough to start getting his mum's money, shame on him as well. :notamused:

I hope 2008 will be a more serious year for William. Acting like this as a teen or early-20s (uni age) is one thing. Mid-20s, going to be 30 in four years is another. :thumbsdown:

Although Echo is right and Harry was held back at Ludgrove (the info can be googled), their birthdays really aren't that far apart.  Wills will be 26 in June and Harry will be 24 in September, which makes them 2 years, 2 months, and 3 weeks apart in age.  That isn't a big age gap IMO, after all Harry's going to be 30 in six years. :teehee:

I think that 16 Royal appearances by Wills and 12 Royal appearances by Harry in 2007 was a good number for both princes, especially Harry.  :shrug: Their first duty and responsibility throughout 2007 was to the military, and the Royal appearances were secondary; that's just reality. 

IMO Both princes  are doing a good job of fulfilling their responsibility to the military and doing their Royal duties at the same time, but the military will continue to come first until neither of them is on Active Duty or training anymore.
:happycanada:

Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored.
~Aldous Huxley
:xmas10:

Nighthawk

I don't agree :thumbsup: and that's ok.

nova

NH, I guess so since it' s a forum and people are not obliged to follow a standard opinion.  :laugh:

If they increased their appearances it' ll only be a benefit for them & for their family. However, I do wonder if their trip in Paris for the Rugby World cup is counted.  :laugh:

MapleLeaf

Quote from: Nighthawk on January 07, 2008, 01:46:44 AM
I don't agree :thumbsup: and that's ok.

That's absolutely true NH. 

Nova, the trip to Paris for the Rugby World Cup wasn't counted among the official Royal appearances listed for either Wills or Harry. 
The list of their appearances is on the official Royal website.  I agree that increased appearances can only be beneficial, but the military still comes first no matter what. 

None of the royals who are currently carrying out official Royal duties full time are on active duty in the military like Wills and Harry.
:happycanada:

Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored.
~Aldous Huxley
:xmas10:

leogirl

I didn't know about Harry. In my defense, I am not from the UK and someone from the UK told me that the cutoff date there was in September. Since I knew Harry for sure finished three years behind William, and his birthday is the 15th of September (not the 1st), I (incorrectly) assumed it was because of the cutoff. So the cutoff is not in September then? Is it December 31st? Pippa was born in 1983 and graduated in 2007. :shrug:

Anyway, the point was that after finishing Eton, William got a gap year, then four years' break (from engagements, the paps, etc.) while he went to uni. So far, Harry has had his gap year, and he is in his 4th year after (break), so I do expect him to do more this year since he is getting older. William graduated at 23 (not many duties at uni) and began military career at 23 1/2, so not doing many duties at age 23 is acceptable, IMO.

BOT- I am still unimpressed that William, being second in line to the throne and with as much time as he was reported to have off (and as much time he was out drinking, clubbing, etc.) only did 16 engagements in 2007. So they missed a few? Give him benefit of the doubt and that's only about 2 per month.  :thumbsdown:

Others, however, feel differently and apparently like lazy people (praise Camilla for her 2 engagements in one day while Hillary Clinton is also 60 and is running for President), and that is their opinion.

Do people honestly think all people in their mid- to late-20s are out clubbing as much as or more than William? ??? That is a sad misrepresentation of that age group, because where I'm from that is teenage or uni kinda garbage, by the time they hit their quarter century they're way past that. It must be very different in the UK...

:notamused: :notamused: :notamused: