The Commonwealth Nations and the British Monarchy News

Started by Curryong, February 01, 2020, 09:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macrobug67

Our events were cancelled here but it was because of covid.   There were PLENTY of private fireworks.  Last night, also.  It was quite noisy for a while

Curryong

Terrible news in BC, with the awful fires. I?m glad that people were able to celebrate Canada Day in most places though. Here in Oz Australia Day has become increasingly contentious as it?s regarded by our indigenous population as ?Invasion Day?. In latest polling about 73% of Aussies do not want the date changed, however an increasing number wouldn?t mind another day on the calendar to be established for our aborigine population, which I think would be an excellent move.

Thank you TLLK, for support of the suggestion made here that alternative plaques should be erected at contentious sites, statues etc. I hope that in Canada beside ?reflection? there is going to be a full and comprehensive Inquiry into all residential schools and a sincere response from both the RC church and both sides of government about the shameful actions both overseen and permitted. Because if the past is not acknowledged nothing really can go forward.

LouisFerdinand

How is the Roman Catholic Church involved in the situation?

TLLK

@LouisFerdinand -The Roman Catholic  church often were the founders and administrators of the boarding schools for
the Canadian  First Nations' children.

Macrobug67

The schools were ran by the RC Church.  There were some schools ran by the Anglican Church, but not as many. 

One community that I worked in up north had one of these schools.  The building was still there but now was used by the band as a community centre, band office and post office.  Many in the school refused to even go in the building.  Several years after I was there the building burnt down.  Not a loss.  And I hope that the erasure of the building helped healing.   The horrors of St. Anne's | CBC News

The was an old lady in the community who had worked at the school as a nun.  She hated the locals and they hated her.  I was told she participated in the abuse.  Some of those abused were now taking care of her.  She was a misery and finally she moved down south to a retirement home for the nuns. 

I heard some stories but for the most part community members were not open to talking to outsiders.  Only in two communities I was trusted enough to be told insider information.  I was honoured to be trusted and liked enough for the women to open up.  In the one community the ladies sang Happy Birthday to me in OjiCree while we were out in the middle of the blueberry patch  :blowkiss: 

PrincessOfPeace

Yes the Catholic Church ran the schools but from the authority of the Canadian government. Jean Chretien was Minister of 'Indian Affairs' in Pierre Trudeau's government and it was the government that gave the church the ability to run residential schools. 

Macrobug67

The question being, did the government know what was happening.  Where they aware of the abuse.  Did they give tacit permission for it to happen.  Was it because of prevailing society views of Indians.

This wasn't the only place that RC church abused children.  The Magdalene homes, priests abusing alter boys etc.  The church isn't exactly innocent.   But neither is the Canadian government and society. 

PrincessOfPeace

I agree the church was there on a day to day basis. I'm not saying Jean Chretien as Minister of 'Indian Affairs' knew what was going on. 

But it can't be ignored the government set up the framework for residential schools. Indigenous families that didn't turn over their children were subject to arrest by the RCMP for example.

LouisFerdinand

It is hard to fathom that the Roman Catholic Church had involvement with the abuse of children. However, even the Church may not always be trusted. To not trust a Church is an unfortunate.

Amabel2

The Roman Catholic church has a long history of covering up abuse of children..  Having said that they're not the only ones to do so....

TLLK

No they're not the only ones. From Soviet summer camps to Scouts to sports programs and of course schools there's a long history of physical, emotional and sexual abuse. That being said, up until the mid 20th century corporal punishment was the norm in many schools throughout the Western world but today is not permitted.

Macrobug67

Who is Mary Simon, Canada's first Indigenous Governor General? | CTV News

Interesting pick.  Timely with regards to the residential schools.   She is a fighter so I wonder how well she will be able to step into the apolitical role.  Smart and an interesting life story.  Well done Trudeau. 

TLLK

Very interesting choice and she has had a very distinguished career as well representing Canada as the official ambassador to Denmark too.
She's currently bilingual but is going to be working to become proficient in French.

PrincessOfPeace

Canada held an installation ceremony for Mary Simon on Monday, who became the country's 30th governor general and the first Indigenous person to hold the position.

The ceremony, held in the Senate of Canada building in Ottawa, included a swearing-in, the presentation of Canadian honours and the Great Seal of Canada.  Simon also delivered her 1st speech after her oath.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was among the few people allowed to witness the ceremony in person as public health guidelines have set limits on attendance and mask requirements for anyone there in person.

Trudeau named Simon, an Inuk leader and former Canadian diplomat, as his choice to be the Queen's representative in Canada earlier this month, replacing Julie Payette who resigned in January.

Watch: Mary Simon becomes Canada's 30th governor general | FULL - YouTube

Curryong

What a great appointment! Hope Mary Simon is a huge success, and I?ll bet all Inuits are feeling proud today. We in Oz haven?t had any indigenous GGs yet, and in fact only one Governor of a State, Sir Doug Nicholls of South Australia in the 1970s.

TLLK

:happycanada: Congratulations to Canada on the appointment and the installation of your new Governor General.

PrincessOfPeace

Following her installation as The Queen's representative in Canada, Governor General Mary Simon visited the National War Memorial & laid flowers on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, as the Canadian Armed Forces' new Commander-in-Chief.

Pic: https://twitter.com/Canadian_Crown/status/1421902307885735937?s=20

Curryong

Barbados elects first-ever president to replace Queen Elizabeth as head of state.
Barbados elects first-ever president to replace Queen Elizabeth as head of state | The Independent

This has been on the cards for years. Over the last year the process has speeded up. Barbados will almost certainly stay in the Commonwealth, but the Queen, although a pragmatist, will no doubt be a bit sad that one of the realms has gone of which she was HOS.

It?s my view that it?s the first of many of the 16 realms to go, most in the next reign.

PrincessOfPeace

Clarence House: The Prince of Wales will visit Barbados in late November at the invitation of prime minister Mia Amor Mottley as guest of honour at events to mark the island nation's transition to a republic within the Commonwealth.

wannable

Charles has a very busy travel schedule this month. 

TLLK

Some background information on Barbados future Head of State and who is currently the Governor General.

Sandra Mason ? the woman replacing The Queen as Head of State in Barbados ? Royal Central

QuoteBarbados is becoming a republic, and Dame Sandra Mason will become its first president. Currently serving as Governor-General, the parliament elected Mason to become president when Barbados removes Queen Elizabeth II as head of state later this month.

Born and raised in Barbados, Mason has worked as a teacher and for many years rose in the ranks of Barclays Bank. But it was the law that always had a calling for Mason. She earned a law degree and held a position for more than ten years as a Magistrate of the Juvenile and Family Court.

For a time, Mason took her skills outside of Barbados. She left the family court to become Ambassador to Venezuela. She went on to serve as the Ambassador to Chile, Brazil and Colombia. She also served on the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child for nine years, including becoming the chair of the committee for two years.

Upon her return to Barbados in 1994, Mason accepted the appointment of Chief Magistrate for Barbados. She later became a Registrar of the Supreme Court and an Appeals Judge. In 2014, Mason began her work with other Commonwealth countries when she became the first Barbadian to be appointed as a member of the Commonwealth Secretariat Arbitral Tribunal. This tribunal resolved contract disputes between Commonwealth countries.

Curryong

Sandra Mason has had a varied and very distinguished career, both in the Commonwealth and out of it. Work in the Commonwealth Secretariat is especially important as Barbados will continue as a member of the organisation.  I think Barbadians will be very happy that she is to be their President. And she?s home-grown!

TLLK

Canadian MPs sing ?God Save The Queen? in a show of support for the monarchy after Barbados became a republic ? Royal Central-Video in the article. MPs were reminded that only the singing of the Canadian National Anthem at an appropriate time was considered acceptable in the Chambers.

QuoteA number of Canadian Members of Parliament broke into song in the House of Commons chamber this week as MPs congratulated Barbados on transferring from Realm to Republic.

Conservative MPs in Canada sang the British National Anthem, God Save The Queen, while legislators were voting on a motion to congratulate Barbados on the election of their new President who has replaced The Queen as head of state.

PrincessOfPeace

PrincessOfPeace

Today in 1952, the Right Honorable Vincent Massey became the first Canadian-born Governor General of Canada. The photo depicts The Queen & Prince Philip at Rideau Hall accompanied by Massey & his dog, Duff - who kindly carries Her Majesty's purse.

https://twitter.com/Canadian_Crown/status/1498344759089319939?s=20&t=JtG61cgACsTSWwwXBUShxQ