The Greek Royal Family news, current events and general discussion

Started by Jennifer, August 30, 2015, 11:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Quote from: Nightowl on January 17, 2023, 01:19:39 PM
Somehow I thought JM got married in 2013......my notes are very wrong now.  Now I wonder who got married in 2013, Thanks for letting me know as I looked at my notes here and I made a mistake.  Can I blame this on me or BP.....lol

I can't think of a British royal wedding from 2013. Zara and Mike married in the summer of 2011.

Back to the King and PoW's absence, another issue is still the Greek government's demand to have the Elgin marbles returned to Greece.

Nightowl

Thanks TLLK, I really messed up note here on the Catherine file that I keep for important dates, so now I have to check them to make sure they are correct.  That is correct about Mike and Zara yet who in 2013 is a mystery .....Sorry for messing up here as I try to keep good notes and didn't this time.

TLLK

@Nightowl-Sweden's Princess Madeline and Mr. Christopher O'Neil is the only "big" royal wedding that I can find for 2013.

In the end, while I would have liked to see either KCIII or the PoW present yesterday, the PssR had many personal connections to the late King of Greece. They both have common ancestors from the Greek Royal Family. Anne was one of the bridesmaids when Constantine and Anne Marie married. Anne and Constantine were both Olympic athletes and worked together at the IOC. The Greek Royals lived in the UK for decades etc... William reportedly requested that Lady Gabriella Kingston represent him at the funeral as they were both Godchildren of the late King and have family ties to the Greek Royals.

TLLK

I believe that the Spanish royals were visibly touched by the reception that Queen Sofia received yesterday in Athens. While they would have been familiar with this in Spain, I sensed that Elena, Cristina and their children were a bit amazed to see and hear their mother/grandmother being so warmly greeted by the crowds. Even JC seemed to be a little surprised himself. Perhaps it brought back some fond memories of their Athens wedding day in 1962 for JC and Sofia.

Don Juan Carlos y do?a Sof?a despiden en Atenas a Constantino de Grecia junto a sus hijos y nietos - YouTube

LouisFerdinand

Quote from: TLLK on January 17, 2023, 01:20:33 PM
I can't think of a British royal wedding from 2013. Zara and Mike married in the summer of 2011.

Back to the King and PoW's absence, another issue is still the Greek government's demand to have the Elgin marbles returned to Greece.

Princess Madeleine of Sweden married Christopher O'Neill on June 8, 2013.

TLLK

Update on the Greek Royal Family.

Queen Anne Marie-To remain in Athens.
Princess Alexa and Carlos will stay in the Canary Islands.
CP Pavlos and CPss Marie Chantal-London/NYC with more frequent trips to Greece.
Prince Nickolaos and Princess Tatiana-Remain in Athens where they have lived since they married.
Princess Teodora and fiance Matthew Kumar-Los Angeles? London? NYC?
Prince Phillippos and Princess Nina ?

Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece and Marie-Chantal will NOT move to Athens

QuoteCrown Prince Pavlos of Greece and his wife Crown Princess Marie-Chantal will not be moving to Athens following the death of King Constantine, sources have claimed.

Prince William's godfather and the nephew of the Duke of Edinburgh, King Constantine II of Greece passed away from a stroke earlier this month at the age of 82.

Now a royal aide has confirmed to Danish publication, Billed Bladet, that his wife Anne-Marie has no intention of leaving Athens.

Meanwhile sources told HOLA that Pavlos and Marie-Chantal, who usually split their time between London and New York, plan to spend an extended period of time in the city in order to support Anne-Marie.

Curryong

I see the Fail is to the fore in ?reporting? this, but apparently the local Press did it first. I don?t believe that Queen Anne Marie ever said she was leaving Athens did she? What was speculated (and I still believe) is that she may well spend some periods of time with her sisters in Denmark to just relax. It would look pretty bad for the GRF for the former Queen to be moving away after her husband?s death, and AM has always been incredibly loyal.

As for Pavlos and MC, they have business interests elsewhere that would be very inconvenient to pursue in Athens. I just don?t believe they would live in Greece fulltime, anyway. If the ex Queen becomes very frail there will be long visits on both sides, but that?s all, imo anyway.

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on January 23, 2023, 11:44:53 PM
I see the Fail is to the fore in ?reporting? this, but apparently the local Press did it first. I don?t believe that Queen Anne Marie ever said she was leaving Athens did she? What was speculated (and I still believe) is that she may well spend some periods of time with her sisters in Denmark to just relax. It would look pretty bad for the GRF for the former Queen to be moving away after her husband?s death, and AM has always been incredibly loyal.

As for Pavlos and MC, they have business interests elsewhere that would be very inconvenient to pursue in Athens. I just don?t believe they would live in Greece fulltime, anyway. If the ex Queen becomes very frail there will be long visits on both sides, but that?s all, imo anyway.

From what I could gather, it's a translation of an original story that appeared in Hola. There were rumors of Pavlos and MC moving to Athens, but as you pointed out, their lives are in London and NYC. However I could see them spending more time there.

TudorQueen

There really is no point of Pavlos and Chantal moving to Greece. Unlike other former houses like Romania, the Greeks don't have an unofficial role in the country. They are completely private citizens there.

It made sense Constantine and Anne Marie returned. Other then a few years during WWII, he spent the first 27 years of life there. He and Anne Marie were married there. He actually was king, unlike his son who will only ever be titular.

Pavlos may have been born there but he was only seven months old when they fled the country and has never lived there since. Like Prince Philip, he was a Greek prince in little but name. He spent longer in Rome (till 6) and with his grandmother Ingrid in Denmark (a year) then he has in Greece. He and his family have their work, home, lives and friends in the UK.

Now if like Romania, there was a role to take up from his father yes it would make sense. But its pointless to uproot their lives for it now.

TLLK

Quote from: TudorQueen on January 24, 2023, 10:43:05 AM
There really is no point of Pavlos and Chantal moving to Greece. Unlike other former houses like Romania, the Greeks don't have an unofficial role in the country. They are completely private citizens there.

It made sense Constantine and Anne Marie returned. Other then a few years during WWII, he spent the first 27 years of life there. He and Anne Marie were married there. He actually was king, unlike his son who will only ever be titular.

Pavlos may have been born there but he was only seven months old when they fled the country and has never lived there since. Like Prince Philip, he was a Greek prince in little but name. He spent longer in Rome (till 6) and with his grandmother Ingrid in Denmark (a year) then he has in Greece. He and his family have their work, home, lives and friends in the UK.

Now if like Romania, there was a role to take up from his father yes it would make sense. But its pointless to uproot their lives for it now.

I have to agree. Unlike Romania, Serbia, Portugal and to some extent Bulgaria, there doesn't appear to be a path forward for an "unofficial but somewhat official" presence for the  Greek Royal Family at this time.

TLLK

Memorial services for the late King Constantine are being planned for Athens and London.

Memorial services planned for King Constantine in Athens and London ? Royal Central

QuoteMemorial services for Constantine II, the last King of Greece, are set to be held in the coming months.

The first will be in Athens in February when the official royal mourning period for Constantine II comes to an end. Constantine died on January 10th 2023 and was buried from the Metropolitan Cathedral in Athens on January 16th 2023. A memorial service will take place forty days after the king?s death, on February 19th 2023.

That service will take place at the Metropolitan Cathedral in Athens. Constantine?s widow, Queen Anne-Marie, along with their eldest son, Crown Prince Pavlos, will lead mourners. All of Constantine?s children and grandchildren will all take part. His sisters, Queen Sofia of Spain and Princess Irene of Greece are also expected to attend. Afterwards, a small ceremony will be held at the tomb of the late king in the grounds of Tatoi Palace.

For Crown Prince Pavlos and his siblings, it is important to be there for their mother Queen Anne-Marie during a difficult time.

Crown Prince Pavlos left Greece this week to return to his home in New York. There are varying reports over whether he will move permanently to Greece now that he is head of the royal family. However, there will be no statements or interviews about that until at least the middle of February, when the 40 day mourning period is over.

It?s also expected that there will be a memorial service for King Constantine in London in the coming months. Journalist Andreas Mogas said the ceremony is expected to take place and see relatives who couldn?t attend the funeral in Athens attend, most likely to include King Charles III and the Prince of Wales.

TLLK

The traditional memorial service that takes place 40 days after the deceased's death is taking place today for the late King Constantine. Present at the service are Queen Anne Marie, CP Pavlos with CPss Marie Chantal and two of their children. Princess Alexia, Prince Nickolaus, Princess Teodora and Prince Phillipos with their spouses/fiancee. Also the late King's sisters Queen Sofia and Princess Irene are there along with Infantas Elena and Cristina. Other members of the Greek royal family were also present.

????????? ???? ??????? ????????????: ????????? ??? ????????? - ????????? ?? ?????? ??? (Greek publication's photos)

Sorry this is currently one of the few English language articles and it mentions that Marie Chantal is the now the "heir" to the defunct throne. No, DM author that would be her husband Crown Prince Pavlos.  :notamused:

Greek royal family pays tribute to former King Constantine II of Greece | Daily Mail Online

TLLK

The King's Tomb is revealed. It reads "Constantine II, King of the Hellenes, Prince of Denmark, Olympian." His birth and death dates are inscribed as well.

https://i1.prth.gr/images/w640/_webp/files/2023-02-19/tatoi-4.jpg

TLLK

CP Pavlos granted an interview with Pont du Vu magazine and shared his thanks to the people of Greece and his future plans as head of the family. The view is what I believe most people expected it to be and IMO it's a reasonable one.

Crown Prince Pavlos talks about family?s future in Greece ? Royal Central

Quotecrown Prince Pavlos of Greece has given his first interview since the death of his father, King Constantine II.

The Crown Prince shared his view of his family?s future in Greece and his own role as the head of the Greek Royal Family in an interview with the French magazine Point de Vue.

Pavlos was questioned on how he imagined his role as the head of the Royal House, to which he responded: ?I inherited this role from my father, not associated with any responsibility at the state level, just at a family level. My role will be ? to be a good example to the family. We will continue to be united and keep strong ties with our country.?

The Crown Prince stressed that he would not interfere in Greek state affairs. He said neither he nor his son, Prince Constantine Alexios, would take on any official roles. However, he did share that he hopes that his son follows in the late monarch?s footsteps in being a good person.

Crown Prince Pavlos received the French magazine for the interview in Athens during the commemoration of the 40th day since the passing of his father. He took the opportunity to thank the Greek people for their support and promised that he would spend more time in his country of birth. The royal currently resides in New York.

Crown Prince Pavlos said: ?I would thank the Greek people for the respect they have shown to my father and to us. Whether people are royalists or not does not matter. They paid tribute to a historical figure, a part of Greek history. On behalf of my family, I thank them from the bottom of my heart.?

Blue Clover

I hope the move to Greece gives Prince Pavlos a good role and purpose in the country.

TLLK

Prince Achilles of Greece has graduated from NYU.

Login ? Instagram

QuoteWe are so proud of your achievement and dedication. The world is waiting for you. Συγχαρητήρια Αχιλλέα

TLLK

Greek princes teams up for charity ? Royal Central

QuoteFollowing the death of King Constantine II earlier this year, many members of the Greek royal family have been spending more time in their homeland. Now, the king?s younger sons, Prince Philippos and Prince Nikolaos of Greece, have teamed up for a charity project in the eastern Greek islands.

Prince Philippos and Prince Nikolaos are attending the 13th campaign of Axion Hellas. Prince Nikolaos has previously attended this charity campaign several times before. This is his brother Prince Philippos first time attending the campaign.

More than 150 volunteers, including 54 volunteer doctors with a range of different specialties, are providing services to the residents of the Greek islands of Heraklia, Halki, Symi, Pserimos and Kimolos. Axion Hellas which have seen an influx of immigrants arriving in recent times.

Prince Nikolaos said: ?We believe in collaboration, and we are not doing it all by ourselves. We are transferring educational programs to the coastal islands of Greece. I just came out to talk to you, from a program-based course started by Kate Kennedy, daughter of the late Robert Kennedy. Through this, learning children about human rights.?

The prince continued: ?We all voluntarily participate in the organization. No one gets paid. Our fee is the warmth with which we are welcomed. This morning the kindergarten children said good morning to us in song. They filled our souls with positive energy. This recharges our batteries. I love all the islands equally.?

TLLK

The two eldest sons of the late King Constantine and Queen Anne Marie have given an interview in Greece. Prince Nikolaos lives in the country and appears to be more comfortable speaking Greek than his older brother Crown Prince Pavlos.

365 Moments

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on July 05, 2023, 06:20:22 PM
The two eldest sons of the late King Constantine and Queen Anne Marie have given an interview in Greece. Prince Nikolaos lives in the country and appears to be more comfortable speaking Greek than his older brother Crown Prince Pavlos.

365 Moments

Yes, it was interesting that the two brothers decided to do a joint interview. Of course Pavlos grew up in London and lives mainly in the US with his wife, but I can?t imagine that King Constantine didn?t insist on his children, especially his heir, speaking Greek when they lived together as a family. Pavlos?s rustiness with the Greek language must have come in the last decade or so.

TLLK

@Curryong - I know that all of KC and QAM's children attended a bilingual Greek-English school that was established in London but has since closed. However, like you mention CP Pavlos' rustiness has come with a lack of day to day use of the language. KC's cousin Prince Michael has mentioned in the past that his cousin was "the most Greek" member of the royal family and definitely had a good command of the language.

TLLK

Happy 77th Birthday to Queen Anne Marie of Greece.  :bday:

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on August 30, 2023, 09:01:35 PM
Happy 77th Birthday to Queen Anne Marie of Greece.  :bday:

Yes indeed. Happy birthday to HM Anne Marie. A sad one, this first without her husband, but I?m sure her family will make a fuss of her.

LouisFerdinand

Happy, Joyous Birthday to Queen Anne Marie!   

:congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: