Main Menu

"Ignore" Button

Started by Harry, May 17, 2010, 06:30:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

I know that we can "ignore" posters' PMs, but what about a general "ignore" button for posts too? This function is very successful at other forums if one wants to avoid aggravation by certain posters; and if certain posters are deliberately trying to stir trouble, they will soon get the message that it is useless. It could save a lot of work for mods/admins. Just asking ... I for one would implement the function if available.

Thanks.  :biggrin:

sillyjobug

I don't believe the function is available on the system we have set up. I know we've discussed it before, though. It's a great idea, and I wish we did have it!
Harryite #0094   

wannable

Or learn how to develop thick skin.  Forums are for discussion, agreeing or not with anybody. In fact, I prefer to give a POV (about the SUBJECT ISSUE) when not agreeing with any fellow poster.

brittanylala

An ignore button?! What would be the point in joining a discussion forum if you aren't willing to read other peoples point of view? I can't be anymore blunt than that without sounding offensive, which isn't my intention. Also, conversations would not flow correctly as some people would be 'ignoring' others with opposing views, thus fragmented conversations that make no sense to our browsers.

sillyjobug

I think the idea is more of a feature where each individual person may ignore whomever they want, but it would read regularly to anyone not ignoring anyone. So if a poster is having a problem with someone else, or feeling attacked, they could ignore those posts. So if, for example, you and I were having a fight, britt, and your posts were really riling me up, I could choose to not read any posts by you, thereby not becoming upset.

Sadly, though, I don't think the Forum has that capability.
Harryite #0094   

Jenee

This software does not, but the software that we are looking to switch to does. The switch would not happen until the end of summer, when Windsor fully takes over, so be patient!
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Lindelle

But you can choose not to use it if you enjoy getting riled up :hehe: :devil:

Scarlet Flowers

They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept any but one; they promised to take our land, and they took it.~Red Cloud

When you step out in faith, you step into a whole other world.

Sandra Dee

Quote from: Lindelle on May 17, 2010, 10:45:38 PM
But you can choose not to use it if you enjoy getting riled up :hehe: :devil:
Lady Lindelle, the Devil, ladies and gentlemen.  :hehe:  .sticky

Quote from: brittanylala on May 17, 2010, 03:34:53 PM
An ignore button?! What would be the point in joining a discussion forum if you aren't willing to read other peoples point of view?
I also agree with BLL because, when you ignore one post that you don't like, you might miss information that pertains to other posts or something that triggers other posts too. Plus, you are effectively ending conversations with someone you disagree with. Frankly, I don't think an 'ignore' button is a good idea for a forum, especially if it works like a 'block user' button.
I do have 2 questions though(Jenee?)
1. Is it like a 'block user', you can never see any of the posts made by that user at all(unless you unblock, of course), and is it on that thread alone, or on all of the forum?
2. If it 'ignores' just one post, what if you want to keep half the post, which has something you like or some info, and want to ignore the other half, where someone has sniped at you?
I think it's best to let mods do their work on the posts and not have individual ignore buttons. IMO.
But then, if they can serve as warning to the poster who is being ignored because of something offensive they post or a personal attack, that could work. Sort of like a direct-to-poster 'report to admin' button.

Harry

Quote from: sillyjobug on May 17, 2010, 04:08:11 PM
I think the idea is more of a feature where each individual person may ignore whomever they want, but it would read regularly to anyone not ignoring anyone. So if a poster is having a problem with someone else, or feeling attacked, they could ignore those posts. So if, for example, you and I were having a fight, britt, and your posts were really riling me up, I could choose to not read any posts by you, thereby not becoming upset.

Sadly, though, I don't think the Forum has that capability.

Thanks SJB - exactly my reasoning. :)

No offence taken, Britt - it can sound a bit strange, but as SJB, on an individual level, it can be quite a valuable solution and even make the board flow more easily (less "fights"). No names here, but there are some posts whereby it might be better for me not to read, and I'm sure others feel the same about mine! As I said, it is a function on another board I posted at and it works seamlessly (though some people get offended when they are "ignored").  :icanthearyou:

LOL @ Lindelle - cheeky. ;)

Thanks Jenee. :)

Scarlet Flowers

I would think everything would be disjointed.  Like so-and-so said "William is hot!" and the next poster is ignored.  All of a sudden the next post you can see is something entirely different! :teehee:
They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept any but one; they promised to take our land, and they took it.~Red Cloud

When you step out in faith, you step into a whole other world.

Harry

It's usually not that widespread, from previous experience. Of course, you would probably only want to "ignore" one to two posters, or it would be ridiculous! But that can make all the difference. :)

sillyjobug

Harry, am I correct in assuming that only the poster who implements the ignore would see the results? I.E. If I were to ignore your posts, then threads would show up for my without your posts, but nobody else would even know? I do personally think it would be an interesting way to allow posters a little more ability to moderate themselves, so to speak. As in, if you know you get incredibly riled up by someone, then you can just make the sensible decision to ignore them until the fight has blown over or whatever.
Harryite #0094   

Harry

Exactly right, SJB. :)

At the other forum, the only persons who knew were the two involved (assuming only one person was ignored) ... hope I'm making sense, lol. So, yes, no one else is affected, it's not going to stifle the general flow of the board at all. Plus, it can be switched on and off as you like, so if you feel that it isn't working, and/or you want to view all posts again, then you can just take the "ignore" off!

But it's a good thing that the person who is being "ignored" knows it. That way, it's "self-moderating" to both parties. And, I do think we could all agree that it's too easy on the 'net to just post a hostile response to someone who "pushes our buttons"; but if you make the decision to ignore their posts, the aggravation won't be there.

And, if later on you want to be brave and take the "ignore" off, as you say, the ill-feeling might have passed.

We do it for PMs, so it's just an extension of that. :) Sure, it isn't nice to be "ignored" but we're all adults, and it's better than reading sniping posts whilst awaiting a moderator. Not to mention, it could reduce their work load and actually make the board flow better. ;)

If someone wanted to ignore me, I wouldn't take offence; I'd see it as a sensible decision that this person doesn't want to risk any potential problems. That works for me. :)

drezzle

I don't see much use in an ignore button other than to use as an insult button.  ~~ Ya,  :banana: I just put you on ignore!   :yesss: ~~

It is so easy to ignore a poster now -- see their name and simply slide on by.  Simple as that.  Nobody has ever said anyone has to read every single post.
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

wannable

QuoteI don't see much use in an ignore button other than to use as an insult button.  

I wouldn't see it as an insult, rather as the poster is weak.  
There are forum rules in place, why push an ignore button? To not read an opposing opinion on the Subject Matter (riling up)? OK  

A personal or feeling attack, did I read that correctly? - So the forum rules will change and once a poster does a personal attack, the later shall punch the ignore button rather than the 'report to moderator', thus the rules shall change too?

The 'if you feel attack' is easily done with smiley faces?!

Harry

No, wannabe - that is not my intention! I'm surprised at the criticism, since you haven't seen it at work. I don't make the rules around here, so I would never suggest anything so bold as to interfere with moderating standards or roles.

The thing is: mods do their job in their own free time, they can't be everywhere at all times. And this is, as SJB said "self-moderating". It's different and it's PRO-ACTIVE. :)

I don't understand your last sentence, sorry.

I think that calling someone 'weak' who wants to avoid hostility is wide of the mark. I actually think it shows maturity, myself - in all areas of life. We are not supposed to engage in "baiting" anyway, so it's just common sense. And yes, drezzle, one can always just pretend those posts don't exist, but that is easier said than done. If you don't see the posts, it removes any work, or temptation, as one doesn't know when a person with whom one might have a problem actually posts. That poster may not even visit the forum often.

I only raised this topic as a FORUM SUGGESTION - it would only ever be an OPTION for whomever should like to use it, IF the admins agree to it. What is the problem if you don't wish to use it? Why object if others want that peace of mind, as it won't affect you?

And, as for it being insulting, well, to my mind, it's better than being engaged in cyber scuffle. It's just reality that there are some posters who will get you "riled up" as SJB said. And, what is the difference between ignoring someone via PM or ignoring their posts?  :shrug: So, we have this idea in quasi form anyway.

Anyway, a mod PMd me to see where she can try it out for herself. So, we shall get feedback no doubt.

Lindelle

Well Harry, I VERY much agree with your 3rd last paragraph. Why should it worry someone if they choose not to use it?
They can ignore it - pardon the pun.

Harry

:thankyou: :thumbsup:

wannable

I still believe a poster whom pushes the 'ignore button' is weak. My train of thoughts, no one should feel bad if forum rules are in place. As I said, joining a forum is for discussion of the Subject Matter...perhaps taking a vacation from the TIF helps.

But I do fully understand and am aware that some will wish to push the button for whatever (valid to each person) reason.

Harry

That's fine, wannabe. Yes, "time outs" to think are good. :)

Lucy

Quote from: drezzle on May 18, 2010, 11:33:20 AM
I don't see much use in an ignore button other than to use as an insult button.  ~~ Ya,  :banana: I just put you on ignore!   :yesss: ~~

It is so easy to ignore a poster now -- see their name and simply slide on by.  Simple as that.  Nobody has ever said anyone has to read every single post.

Splendid reasoning, Drezzle, as always.
Having participated on boards with the ignore feature, that infantile taunt or ones similar are always in play as a form of flaming. Those who boast they have another on ignore are hoping for a confrontation.

Yet you are STILL exposed to ALL posts, often...as Scarlet Flowers very cleverly pointed out....Fragments or whole posts of the supposedly Ignored individual more often than not eventually appear on posts you ENJOY reading in another context, creating confusion and sometimes confusing Who said What.

Among adults, the best plan is to physically Ignore a post without a crutch to aid you...a crutch that fails in subsequent posts and exposes the restrictive reader to unwanted comments by the dreaded poster anyway.
Some of us will see a particular name...and know that post won't be conducive to polite discussion and will move on to another post or thread. Easy peasy. No fuss no muss.

Besides, many people who use the Ignore feature, can't stand the suspense of what their 'supposed opponent' may have just said about their fave topic and Un-Ignore the poster long enough to take aim at them down the road...I've seen that a lot on boards I've admined....the mouse can turn the feature on and off like a light switch. It normally creates more chaos than it is supposed to eliminate.  :fireworks:
DIANISTA # 1

soapstar

Quote from: drezzle on May 18, 2010, 11:33:20 AM
I don't see much use in an ignore button other than to use as an insult button.  ~~ Ya,  :banana: I just put you on ignore!   :yesss: ~~

It is so easy to ignore a poster now -- see their name and simply slide on by.  Simple as that.  Nobody has ever said anyone has to read every single post.

Exactly.

If you don't like a poster, then don't read their posts. If you're truly being harassed, then report it to a mod. No need for an ignore button.

Quote from: Harry on May 18, 2010, 12:15:57 PM
one can always just pretend those posts don't exist, but that is easier said than done. If you don't see the posts, it removes any work, or temptation, as one doesn't know when a person with whom one might have a problem actually posts. That poster may not even visit the forum often.

But if someone else quotes the person you're ignoring, you're going to inadvertently end up seeing the ignored post. So while the ignore button will cut out most of their posts, you still may come across a few.

Jenee

Quote from: Lucy on May 18, 2010, 03:59:13 PM
Besides, many people who use the Ignore feature, can't stand the suspense of what their 'supposed opponent' may have just said about their fave topic and Un-Ignore the poster long enough to take aim at them down the road...

:laugh: That's a good point Lucy - sometimes it is better to just ignore someone without the aid of technology. But, as with any software, the ignore button is always optional ;)

Thread locked, since this button is not even an option with the software we use.
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore