Dickie Arbiter's Book: on His Time w/Prince Charles, Diana & Other Royals

Started by Limabeany, August 03, 2014, 10:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limabeany

They may be confident about Dickie, but when they spend their entire lives presenting a facade to the world they can't not worry someone will feel the urge to blab.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Orchid

:thumbsup: Excellent point, Limabeany. There will always be a human need to expose the fallacy of a persons' "face to the world".
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."
-Winston Churchil

Blue Clover

I really don't think that this publication will be that damaging. I imagine the Dicky will focus on HIS career inside the palace and will most likely convey his reaction to things that he experienced there, his point of view of all the things that have been in the media for decades.

cate1949

I also really wonder just what is so terrible that might be behind the façade.  There are probably things they would prefer not come out - certainly a batch of stuff from the last 100 years about the wider family but while there probably is stuff re:  Andrew and Fergie and what binds that relationship stuff about money perhaps and maybe some interesting things about PP - I rather doubt we'd find huge scandals.  Perhaps naïve of me.

amabel

Quote from: cate1949 on September 05, 2014, 05:50:24 PM
I also really wonder just what is so terrible that might be behind the façade.  There are probably things they would prefer not come out - certainly a batch of stuff from the last 100 years about the wider family but while there probably is stuff re:  Andrew and Fergie and what binds that relationship stuff about money perhaps and maybe some interesting things about PP - I rather doubt we'd find huge scandals.  Perhaps naïve of me.
its not a case of what's so terrible, albeit there may be things the RF would prefer not to come out.  the point is that he's violating the Official secrets act and the promises he gave in taking employemnet. But that seesm to mean nothing to people nowadays

Trudie

The violating of the Official secrets act was violated long ago by the royals themselves starting with the 69 documentary onwards. Charles violated his own privacy with Dimbleby both in print and his interview. That ship sailed long ago amabel.

cinrit

There's a difference between talking about yourself, and someone else talking about you.  Especially if they've made an agreement of confidentiality.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Trudie

Well I guess I should rephrase it that Charles expects confidentiality from his friends but that didn't stop them from talking about Diana to the press leaking stories with no consequences during and after the marriage. Again that ship sailed long ago Cindy.

amabel

Quote from: cinrit on September 06, 2014, 12:15:59 AM
There's a difference between talking about yourself, and someone else talking about you.  Especially if they've made an agreement of confidentiality.

Cindy
yes of course. I simply can't understand this. I've signed the official secrets act, and for me to violate that, for money, would simply be incomprehsenible to me

cinrit

Quote from: Trudie on September 06, 2014, 02:56:21 AM
Well I guess I should rephrase it that Charles expects confidentiality from his friends but that didn't stop them from talking about Diana to the press leaking stories with no consequences during and after the marriage. Again that ship sailed long ago Cindy. 

Again, that was a situation that he was personally involved in.  It doesn't have much bearing on Arbiter's book, as I see it.

Cindy

Trudie

^ Well at least you finally admit that Charles was the one responsible for what his friends leaked to the press. As for Arbiter this is his memoir and I think he is telling what his job was like from the inside and how he performed I highly doubt anything will come out of it and he already covered himself legally with regards to the Official Secrets act. Though I am amused at the thought of Charles squirming at what he has to say. :happy15:

cinrit

^^ If you mean me, no, I don't know that Charles is responsible for what anyone does.  Nor do I believe that Charles is "furious", though I do believe he's at the very least disappointed.

Cindy

Limabeany

The problem with Charles' disappointment/anger/whatever is the same I see with Angelina and Brad's wedding pictures, you can't claim a moral high ground when you have sold your story for money or to get back at your ex-wife is irrelevant, the Queen however can believably claim disappointment.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Trudie

Quote from: cinrit on September 06, 2014, 10:31:46 AM
Quote from: Trudie on September 06, 2014, 02:56:21 AM

Again, that was a situation that he was personally involved in.  It doesn't have much bearing on Arbiter's book, as I see it.

Cindy
Quote from: cinrit on September 06, 2014, 09:15:00 PM
^^ If you mean me, no, I don't know that Charles is responsible for what anyone does.  Nor do I believe that Charles is "furious", though I do believe he's at the very least disappointed.

Cindy

Really Cindy I thought I would remind you of your first post about Charles friends leaking to the media and you replied "Again that was a situation he was personally involved in" reread above please Second post " I don't know that Charles is responsible for what anyone does". I personally get amused at your little game in many of the threads where you say one thing then flip with a version of words being twisted. Charles most probably is furious as he has not been consulted on what is in the book and bringing up the 90's by Arbiter and his role just might make Camilla's rehabilitation suffer a bit. But I assume there will be a serialization in one or more of the papers before the publication in a few weeks.  :mad7: :lmao:

cinrit

Sorry, Trudie, but you're attributing meanings to my words that aren't there and pretending that I'm playing some game.  But that's okay.  I'm glad I amuse you. :flower:

Cindy

Limabeany

Canuck

I understood and agree with you, Cindy.  Big difference about talking about your own situation vs. spilling other people's personal information.

amabel

Quote from: Canuck on September 07, 2014, 03:24:46 AM
I understood and agree with you, Cindy.  Big difference about talking about your own situation vs. spilling other people's personal information.
of course there is. How can anyone not see that?  If you tell something to someone in confidence, you Hope and expect for them to keep it a secret.. just between you.  If someone is employed by you, and they are bound o know things about your private life, and they sign an agreement to keep those things confidential, then you expect them to keep these things to themselves
if you choose to talk to the world about your private life that's your choice.  it is your life and your are entitled to tell about ti what you wish.

Double post auto-merged: September 07, 2014, 07:08:16 AM

Quote from: cinrit on September 06, 2014, 09:15:00 PM

Cindy
I'd agree he's rpobalby not furious but that he's certainly probably annoyed and disappointed.  He msut know that social deference and the official secrets act don't seem to mean much nowadays.  But usually for a royal to take action against an employee or ex employee, looks like a rich person being mean spiirtied, so they rarely do It now...

HistoryGirl

I think human beings have a right to speak about their lives if they wish. If the man wants to write about his time spent working for the royals it's his business. I hardly doubt they spent their Saturdays braiding each other's hair gabbing about their relationships. He'll speak about his experience and view on events, which I personally believe should be entitled to any human being.

amabel

Does the fact that he made a promise in writing not to do so, mean NOTHNING?   

SophieChloe

Not to me.  Charles also made a promise to his young bride.  If he had kept that promise, maybe Dickie would have nothing to write about? 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

HistoryGirl

He's not divulging state secrets or putting their security at stake. He's going to discuss his life which happens to include the time around Diana's death as one is entitled to do in a memoir.

Trudie

Quote from: SophieChloe on September 07, 2014, 06:07:32 PM
Not to me.  Charles also made a promise to his young bride.  If he had kept that promise, maybe Dickie would have nothing to write about? 

I love you SophieChloe Touche!!!

Canuck

However much you blame Charles for his marriage, I don't see what that has to do with a staff member selling his personal information to the world.  Just like Diana making bad decisions in her personal life didn't make it okay for her staff to sell her information, as so many of them regrettably did.

amabel

Quote from: Canuck on September 07, 2014, 08:43:54 PM
However much you blame Charles for his marriage, I don't see what that has to do with a staff member selling his personal information to the world.  Just like Diana making bad decisions in her personal life didn't make it okay for her staff to sell her information, as so many of them regrettably did.
exaclty.  All these people are doing ti for money.  they don't have the freedom to write about their jobs, because that is the nature of such jobs.