Prince Harry Is All Set to Climb Mount Everest

Started by cinrit, January 01, 2012, 01:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuotePrince Harry will make good on his promise to the wounded servicemen he joined on their trek to the North Pole to join them on their next challenge - the world's highest mountain

With the celebrations to to mark his grandmother's diamond jubilee, the Olympics and his first official solo tour taking him to Jamaica, Belize and the Bahamas, the year ahead already looks hectic enough for Prince Harry. The third in line to the throne is, however, adamant that 2012 will also see him realise his long-held ambition to conquer Everest.

The 27-year-old prince dropped a broad hint at the end of his trek to the North Pole last year to raise money for Walking With the Wounded, the charity of which he is patron, that he wanted to join the group of wounded servicemen on their next challenge in May, which will see them climbing the world's highest mountain.

Buckingham Palace has since declined to comment on whether it would be possible to fit the climb into his schedule – "it will all depend on his Army commitments," his spokesman will say only – and there has been no comment, either, from the charity. Now, however, Mollie Hughes, the 21-year-old mountaineer who plans to become the youngest British woman to climb Everest when she makes her own ascent with Kenton Cool in May, and who has been co-ordinating their climb with that of the Walking With the Wounded group, has told Mandrake she has been told that the prince will also be going up.

Read more:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/prince-harry/8986135/Prince-Harry-is-all-set-to-climb-Mount-Everest.html 

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

holyrood27

Quote from: cinrit on January 01, 2012, 01:17:26 PM
QuotePrince Harry will make good on his promise to the wounded servicemen he joined on their trek to the North Pole to join them on their next challenge - the world's highest mountain

With the celebrations to to mark his grandmother's diamond jubilee, the Olympics and his first official solo tour taking him to Jamaica, Belize and the Bahamas, the year ahead already looks hectic enough for Prince Harry. The third in line to the throne is, however, adamant that 2012 will also see him realise his long-held ambition to conquer Everest.

The 27-year-old prince dropped a broad hint at the end of his trek to the North Pole last year to raise money for Walking With the Wounded, the charity of which he is patron, that he wanted to join the group of wounded servicemen on their next challenge in May, which will see them climbing the world's highest mountain.

Buckingham Palace has since declined to comment on whether it would be possible to fit the climb into his schedule – "it will all depend on his Army commitments," his spokesman will say only – and there has been no comment, either, from the charity. Now, however, Mollie Hughes, the 21-year-old mountaineer who plans to become the youngest British woman to climb Everest when she makes her own ascent with Kenton Cool in May, and who has been co-ordinating their climb with that of the Walking With the Wounded group, has told Mandrake she has been told that the prince will also be going up.

Read more:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/prince-harry/8986135/Prince-Harry-is-all-set-to-climb-Mount-Everest.html 

Cindy

Saw that programme on Harry travelling with those wounded Servicemen...Wht a great person Harry is...His Mother would be so proud of him.
Thank you cindy

cinrit

Bensgal

Is Prince Harry a serious mountain climber? Would be interesting to know if he's ever read the book, Into Thin Air, by Jon Krakaur which details the disasterous expeditions at Mt Everest in 1996. Awful situation.

cinrit

^^ I wonder what his protection officers think of having to follow him up there? :o

Cindy

Bensgal

^^Good question, Cindy! The majority of people who climb Everest are very serious climbers and have conquered other serious climbing expeditions. That was one of the problems in 1996. A few of the people who were a part of the climbs didn't have serious mountain climbing experiencing. 1996 was of course the year of the horrendous weather at Everest but some of those people who died shouldn't have been there to begin with.

Each year, I try to follow the groups that are planning to climb Mt. Everest. I'm very intrigued by this adventure.

Lothwen

I would think you would want to start off with a smaller mountain and work your way up to Everest?  I mean,  it would be like running in a 26 mile marathon without doing the half-marathon first.  I think he wants to go, but I don't see how he could.

But if he does, then GO HARRY!

You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

psm

Quote“He won’t be doing the full climb as it will take a long time and it requires rigorous training so I think he’ll be joining at a base camp,”

He will not climb the mountain. He will only go to the base camp, which probably requires much less skill than actual mountain climbing. In the process, he will bring a lot of attention to the endavour and highlight the charity. That is a great idea!

When it was initially announced that Harry wanted to go to the Arctic expedition, I thought that he would not fulfill it. I was surprised to read that he did join the team and actually stayed with them for a few days. I have done camping, hiking, so I know that what he'd done, I would not be able to do. I don't have the stamina and endurance to cold and whatever is necessary to go and stay in a tent in the Arctic, or walk in the snow, pulling a lot weight with me. I actually admired Harry a lot for doing it.

So I believe he means what he says and he is willing to at least do the first part of this journey and I applaud him for it.

NotWaitieKatie

I was just reading about Mt Everest and not sure how much Harry will be able to participate. Just the climb to base camp usually takes 6-8 days. Hopefully he'll be able have the time to do it. 

Just because you can.....Does not mean that you should.

SophieChloe

Oh lookey another Pampered Prince Strikes again.  Them & Us....Them & us  :Lothwen:
Quote from: cinrit on January 01, 2012, 07:43:59 PM
^^ I wonder what his protection officers think of having to follow him up there? :o
I doubt Harry gives a stuff, the spoilt git - he is always forgiven - being a Prince and all  :Lothwen:
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Wilkat

I think there are better ways for him to serve those charities. Harry is gutsy, I'll give him that. But like the time in Afghanistan, other people are at risk needlessly.
Richard II- French School