Going to Eton Was the Perfect Training for Playing Henry VIII. Says Damian Lewis

Started by cinrit, December 01, 2014, 11:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteHomeland actor Damian Lewis has told how going to Eton was the perfect training for his upcoming role as Henry VIII.

The 43-year-old, who has become one of Britain's biggest acting exports after making his name with roles in Homeland and Band Of Brothers, revealed more about his time at the top independent boarding school after being awarded an OBE.

He was handed the honour, which he described as a 'huge surprise', by fellow Old Etonion, the Duke of Cambridge, at an investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace this week.
However, after receiving the honour, Lewis said his time at the school had prepared him well for taking on his next role, as Henry VIII in a six-part BBC adaptation of Wolf Hall, Hilary Mantel's Man Booker prize-winning historical novel.

Speaking to The Sunday Times, he said: 'I think there is no question that it helps having had the kind of schooling I've had to play a king.

'It's not such a leap oddly – even though the thought of being a monarch of any nation is mind-boggling and not something I could imagine easily at all.  But, yes, there's just the sort of court structure, hierarchies and the way they are set up which is something I understand.'

More: Damian Lewis says 'going to Eton was the perfect training for playing Henry VIII' | Daily Mail Online

Cindy

Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.