Danish Monarchy Current Events and News Part 2

Started by sara8150, December 31, 2023, 09:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sara8150

Denmark's Queen Margrethe II announces shock abdication in New Year's Eve speech: Monarch who stripped relatives of royal titles in 2022 will stand
Queen Margrethe of Denmark will abdicate on January 14,2024 torch to her son CP Frederick

Meet the world's first Aussie-born queen: How Princess Mary worked as an advertising executive before meeting her future husband in a Sydney pub -

Queen Margrethe's scandal-hit son Crown Prince Frederik will take the throne just months after rumours of an 'affair' with a Mexican socialite rocked

Queen Margrethe of Denmark Announces She Will Abdicate in January

Queen Margrethe of Denmark announces shock abdication, Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary to rule | HELLO!

Queen Margrethe II: Danish monarch announces abdication live on TV

Denmark's queen Margrethe II unexpectedly announces abdication in New Year's Eve speech | World News | Sky News

Queen Margrethe II of Denmark announces surprise abdication | Denmark | The Guardian

Denmark's Queen Margrethe announces shock abdication in live New Years broadcast | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

https://www.itv.com/news/2023-12-31/danish-queen-margrethe-abdicates-in-her-annual-new-years-eve-speech

Queen Margrethe of Denmark: Royal title rows and cheating rumours ? her biggest moments - Mirror Online

Denmark's Queen Margrethe II announces surprise abdication after 52 years on the throne in New Year's Eve speech | The Sun

BREAKING: Queen Margrethe announces she is to abdicate after 52 years ? Royal Central

First details of abdication of Margrethe II revealed ? Royal Central

The reign of an historic monarch, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark ? Royal Central

Frederik of Denmark, born to be king ? Royal Central

Why abdications should be the norm ? Royal Central

Danish government confirms Queen Margrethe will remain ?Her Majesty? after abdication ? Royal Central
Queen Margrethe will retain HM Queen same former Queen Beatrix they now Princess Beatrix

The path to a throne for Mary, future Queen of Denmark ? Royal Central
She is first Australia born to become Queen

Queen Margrethe overcome with emotion as she announces the end of her reign ? Royal Central

TLLK

Welcome to Part 2 of the Danish Monarchy current events and news.

Curryong

Wow, well this is a bolt out of the blue. Just woke up to this news. I?ve always been a fan of Queen Margrethe. Unconventional yet always dignified. Somehow I always thought she would go on to the end. However, maybe, health, age, a feeling that Frederik and Mary should be given a chance, the country a new beginning, spurred this. Abdication may well become more common in monarchies in the future. So it will be King Frederik, Queen Mary and Crown Prince Christian of Denmark. A change for the whole family.

Curryong

Wonder when the enthronement ceremony (no Coronation) will be? February? The more I think about this the more I believe the decision announced today has been on the cards for a year or more. The Queen?s back operation brought it more into focus. It was responsible for the swift decision on the change of titles for Pr Joachim?s children imo.

And soon an Australian Queen Consort. Yeah!

Blue Clover

Shocking news today! So many changes for this family in 2024.

TLLK

@Curryong-I  just learned that Mary will be the second Australian born Queen  Consort. Albania's Queen Susan was the first,  but Mary will be the one for  a reigning house.

I hope that abdication will continue in the future.  IMO,  this offers the monarch an opportunity to enjoy their retirement years and assist/support their successor. 

Hopefully Norway's King Harald  and Sweden's Carl Gustav might consider this opportunity in the coming years

sara8150

Quote from: Curryong on December 31, 2023, 10:36:23 PM
Wonder when the enthronement ceremony (no Coronation) will be? February? The more I think about this the more I believe the decision announced today has been on the cards for a year or more. The Queen?s back operation brought it more into focus. It was responsible for the swift decision on the change of titles for Pr Joachim?s children imo.

And soon an Australian Queen Consort. Yeah!

Haven?t decided when coronation will be hopefully will be spring or summertime wait till Danish palace will announced

Curryong

I?d forgotten about Queen Susan. Thanks for the reminder.

It would be best for King Harald in his state of health if he had retired several years ago iMO. However with the tiny number of working members in the NRF I suspect that just won?t be possible and he will carry on to the end. If only M-M was healthy and active and his ditzy daughter had been some sort of help instead of what she is things might have been different and he could have considered semi-retirement. As it is it is imo on poor Haakon alone for the most part until I-A marries and has a couple of children.

I?m unsure about C-G. I just get the feeling he enjoys his status if not all of the duties to allow Victoria to take full control. However, who knows. It?s a rare bird, whether royal or not, who enjoys perfect health in their eighties. And as we?ve seen now with Queen Daisy that changes a lot of people?s perspectives.

Curryong

Quote from: sara8150 on December 31, 2023, 11:54:25 PM
Haven?t decided when coronation will be hopefully will be spring or summertime wait till Danish palace will announced

The Danes don?t hold Coronations. It?s more just an affirmation and oath of intent in a ceremony followed by showing themselves to the people. That happens in practically every monarchy and has been so for decades. I do think it will be done quickly, perhaps Feb.

Curryong

This is what happened when Queen Margrethe became Queen nearly 52 years ago. The day after her father?s death she stepped on to the Palace balcony with the Danish PM who proclaimed her Queen and she received nine hurrahs from the assembled crowds in front of the Palace. Later, she and her husband Pr Henrik appeared with the sons again on the balcony. She held her first meeting with Govt ministers that same day. And that was more or less that.

Except there is bound to be a banquet of some sort afterwards, visits from the other Scandi royals and later perhaps a State visit or two after the summer visit to the Faroes on the royal yacht by the new King and Queen and their family.

Facebook,will%20not%20have%20a%20coronation.

TLLK

Yes  @Curryong is correct regarding the details of the Danish ascension to the throne. 
I wonder if Daisy will model her abdication on Beatrix's? A ceremony to sign the abdication papers and then she would accompany Frederik out on to the balcony with the Prime Minister?

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on January 01, 2024, 02:04:54 AM
Yes  @Curryong is correct regarding the details of the Danish ascension to the throne. 
I wonder if Daisy will model her abdication on Beatrix's? A ceremony to sign the abdication papers and then she would accompany Frederik out on to the balcony with the Prime Minister?

That would be very nice. She may want to leave Frederik alone for his moment in the sun, of course. I?m sure she will come out later on the balcony when her grandchildren appear. What a time this is for Christian as well! Just eighteen and already the Crown Prince. Of course Fred was technically CP at three years old but I don?t think anyone comprehends that sort of thing as a very young child.

sara8150

Quote from: Curryong on January 01, 2024, 01:15:07 AM
This is what happened when Queen Margrethe became Queen nearly 52 years ago. The day after her father?s death she stepped on to the Palace balcony with the Danish PM who proclaimed her Queen and she received nine hurrahs from the assembled crowds in front of the Palace. Later, she and her husband Pr Henrik appeared with the sons again on the balcony. She held her first meeting with Govt ministers that same day. And that was more or less that.

Except there is bound to be a banquet of some sort afterwards, visits from the other Scandi royals and later perhaps a State visit or two after the summer visit to the Faroes on the royal yacht by the new King and Queen and their family.

Facebook,will%20not%20have%20a%20coronation.

Queen Margrethe been Queen for 52 years since her father?s death in 1972 and her decision to abdicate date will be January 14

sara8150

Quote from: Curryong on January 01, 2024, 09:44:38 AM
That would be very nice. She may want to leave Frederik alone for his moment in the sun, of course. I?m sure she will come out later on the balcony when her grandchildren appear. What a time this is for Christian as well! Just eighteen and already the Crown Prince. Of course Fred was technically CP at three years old but I don?t think anyone comprehends that sort of thing as a very young child.

Yes Prince Christian turned 18 last October 15 but Christian now CP

sara8150

Quote from: Curryong on January 01, 2024, 12:43:28 AM
The Danes don?t hold Coronations. It?s more just an affirmation and oath of intent in a ceremony followed by showing themselves to the people. That happens in practically every monarchy and has been so for decades. I do think it will be done quickly, perhaps Feb.

Hopefully so we have wait and see 🙏🏻🤞🏻

sara8150

Denmark's Queen Margrethe is abdicating 'to save her son Crown Prince Frederik's marriage to Princess Mary - and the Crown - amid rumours of his

Inside the court of Queen Mary: After Danish monarch's shock abdication, how the life of the Australian-born Crown Princess will be transformed as she

Queen Margrethe of Denmark's shock abdication leaves all major European monarchies with male heads of state - but now that heirs apparent across the

Denmark's Queen Margrethe broke 'invisible pact' between Scandinavian monarchs to never abdicate, royal expert says - but could her shock announcement

Denmark's Queen Margrethe II announces shock abdication in New Year's Eve speech: Monarch who stripped relatives of royal titles in 2022 will stand

Denmark's backing for new king: Survey taken days before Queen Margrethe's dramatic abdication revealed over 80% of population had a positive opinion

Queen Margrethe's grandson, who was stripped of royal title, breaks silence following abdication news | HELLO!

Crown Prince Frederik: What do we know about the next king of Denmark?

Crown Prince Frederik: Who is the former 'party prince' set to become Denmark's new king? | World News | Sky News

How Australia?s Mary Donaldson went from commoner to Danish Queen | Tasmania | The Guardian

Australians 'thrilled' to have first official member of European Royal Family | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Inside Prince Frederik's fairytale romance with 'Kate lookalike' commoner Mary - Denmark's new Australian-born queen | The Sun

PrincessOfPeace

When HM The Queen abdicates at the Council of State on Sunday, 14 January 2024, it will be the first time in nearly 900 years that this has happened in Denmark - thus, it will be an extraordinary and historic event:

Royal website: Abdication

TudorQueen

Just came home from vacation and was shocked to hear this. Thought she'd reign till she died like Elizabeth.

I do wonder if there are health worries we don't know. Or if has considered for a while and waited till Christian was an adult.

Curryong

I don?t think the Queen came to this conclusion on Dec 30th! She mentioned in her speech that in the period of her back op last year her health was at the forefront of her mind while musing about her position. Everybody hoped that the operation was successful but she has constantly used her cane since while walking and there have been times when, although stoic, she was in pain.

And she is in her eighties. Christian has reached 18 now and could in theory take over should anything happen to his father. Frederik and Mary are in their fifties and are very practiced at royal duties. Frederik is 55. Perhaps Queen Daisy didn?t want to hang on till her nineties with her son still waiting. And the spectacle of King Charles?s Coronation at 74 probably strengthened that decision.

I think this has been in process for probably over a year. The restricting of Prince Joachims?s children?s titles (which came as a shock to everyone) was, I believe, part of the clearing away of possible problems before the new reign. And new reign, new year. And she can now relax and take care of herself at long last.

TudorQueen

I agree probably been at least a year. But Christian turning 18 in December May be part of the timing IMO. He can slowly take on some roles if absolutely needed. The back surgery, her husband's death and so on likely had her thinking of slowing down or abdicating for some time, but she wanted to wait till her grandkids were a bit older.

PrincessOfPeace

In connection with the change of throne on 14 January 2024, a number of changes will be made in the management of the Royal Household:

More: ?ndringer i Kongehusets ledelse