Re: Alice Heine, second wife of Prince Albert I of Monaco

Started by LouisFerdinand, October 22, 2015, 11:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

In 1902 Prince Albert I and Princess Alice were granted a legal separation.   
They did not divorce. Did the hierarchy of the Roman Catholic church prevent the divorce from occurring?

amabel

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on October 22, 2015, 11:27:15 PM
In 1902 Prince Albert I and Princess Alice were granted a legal separation.   
They did not divorce. Did the hierarchy of the Roman Catholic church prevent the divorce from occurring?
I assume they did not divorce because they were Roman Catholics. I Don't see how the RC church could STOP them from divorce, if they wished for it

Curryong

^ Apparently Alice was very close to the composer Isadore de Lara, which caused her husband to slap her in front of everyone when they were at the Opera. Charming! Albert himself had a mistress. The Grimaldis certainly have had their share of unhappy marriages. I don't think either wanted to remarry so they didn't divorce. Alice became the Dowager Princess of Monaco in time.

amabel

Quote from: Curryong on October 31, 2015, 02:02:01 PM
^ Apparently Alice was very close to the composer Isadore de Lara, which caused her husband to slap her in front of everyone when they were at the Opera. Charming! Albert himself had a mistress. The Grimaldis certainly have had their share of unhappy marriages. I don't think either wanted to remarry so they didn't divorce. Alice became the Dowager Princess of Monaco in time.
I assume their Catholicism and the fact that Monaco is AFAIK a largely Catholic country made them avoid divorce. I don't see what the Catholic church could do to stop them from divorcing though as Monaco is still almost an absolute monarchy. As for Albert havinga  mistress, that's hardly unusual.