William: BAFTA President

Started by cinrit, November 04, 2013, 01:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QueenAlex

Quote from: sandy on February 08, 2020, 12:10:26 AM
It's still a royal speaking out on an issue.
Yes taht's what he is supposed to do.  his job is to draw attention to issues, usualy non controversial ones.. and to try to nudge things on in a quiet way.

sandy

Supposedly William was not going to speak out on issues like his father.

QueenAlex

Quote from: sandy on February 08, 2020, 01:22:46 PM

Of course he was going to speak out on issues.  what do you think he was going to do spend his life saying I declare this hospital open?

TLLK

Quote from: sandy on February 08, 2020, 01:22:46 PM
As William is the BAFTA president and was addressing an issue that BAFTA members  have concerns about and have an established written policy on the matter, it doesn't surprise me that he did so at the BAFTA awards. :shrug:

Had William just been an invited guest with no ties to the organization who randomly chose that evening to discuss diversity in the nominating process, then that would have been surprising to me.  :o

Princess Cassandra

In this day an age it would be surprising if the organization was not concerned about the lack of diversity in its nominees. And it would be wrong for the President not to address it. I thought the speech was great - he didn't overdo it, and it seemed to be well received.

QueenAlex

Quote from: TLLK on February 08, 2020, 02:48:38 PM
As William is the BAFTA president and was addressing an issue that BAFTA members  have concerns about and have an established written policy on the matter, it doesn't surprise me that he did so at the BAFTA awards. :shrug:

Had William just been an invited guest with no ties to the organization who randomly chose that evening to discuss diversity in the nominating process, then that would have been surprising to me.  :o

Or if he had come out with something like "oh all this diversity stuff is a load of nonsense, just political correctness gone mad" that might be kind of outre and controversial...

sandy

He should have talked about the great movies and performers for that year. My opinion.

TLLK

Quote from: TLLK on February 03, 2020, 01:40:23 AM
Yes I agree @Blue Clover. Considering that Prince William had two family members who are currently or were professional actors, the issue of diversity in the field does strike a personal cord IMO.

Double post auto-merged: February 03, 2020, 03:05:14 AM

Prince William Makes Joke About The Crown & the Royal Family at the BAFTAs 2020

Double post auto-merged: February 03, 2020, 03:06:39 AM

Prince William's speech from tonight.

Double post auto-merged: February 03, 2020, 03:08:19 AM

I found the reference to the number of winners who portrayed a member of the BRF to be funny. :hehe:

Double post auto-merged: February 03, 2020, 03:13:40 AM

Regarding Catherine's Van Cleef and Arpels' necklace and earrings,  I wonder if Prince Charles bought their  jewelry for his wife and daughters-in-law for Christmas this year? I know that Camilla has a similar pair of earrings from the line.
Here's Prince William's speech in full in which he also commented upon the exceptional films and those involved with them.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: TLLK on February 10, 2020, 12:25:11 AM
Here's Prince William's speech in full in which he also commented upon the exceptional films and those involved with them.
It's hard to think that anyone would take offense - it was not at all confrontational, as I said, it seemed to be taken very well.

Macrobug67

HRH The Duke of Cambridge's appointment to BAFTA's presidency in February 2010 follows a long tradition of Royal involvement with BAFTA; all but one of BAFTA's presidents in its history have been members of the Royal Family.

Charities Forum

BAFTA and Aardman co-hosted an event for the young beneficiaries of the charities supported by TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry at the home of BAFTA in London.

BAFTA Young Games Designers Showcase

TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge met young beneficiaries of BAFTA?s support for new talent in the games industry during a visit to Dundee. The event included winners of a UK-wide game design competition, as well as current and former games students who are supported by BAFTA.

Give Something Back

In November 2013, HRH The Duke of Cambridge officially launched BAFTA's ?Give Something Back? industry campaign, calling for BAFTA members, award winners and industry organisations to contribute towards BAFTA?s charitable activities.

Prince William Scholarships

In 2013, at the official opening of the Warner Bros. Studios, Leavesden, HRH The Duke of Cambridge announced the launch of Prince William Scholarships in Film, Television and Games, supported by BAFTA and Warner Bros.

Prince William Scholarships

In 2013, at the official opening of the Warner Bros. Studios, Leavesden, HRH The Duke of Cambridge announced the launch of Prince William Scholarships in Film, Television and Games, supported by BAFTA and Warner Bros.

President and Vice Presidents | BAFTA

PrincessOfPeace

NEW: The Duke of Cambridge will visit @BAFTA HQ on Thursday to learn how young people will be supported to build careers in the film, games and television industries. Their newly refurbished building has a new dedicated learning area with "built-in state-of-the-art technology".

https://twitter.com/CameronDLWalker/status/1485995680808292354?s=20

PrincessOfPeace

BAFTA has launched a career development bursary fund backed by Prince William along with a membership tier for emerging and mid-level creatives as the awards body settles into its redeveloped London home.

Along with the likes of Vigil star and BAFTA mentor Suranne Jones, the Duke of Cambridge attended BAFTA's redeveloped London offices today for an event kickstarting his fund, which will support up-and-coming film, TV and games professionals who, due to financial reasons, would otherwise not be able to pursue careers in the screen industries.

BAFTA to Support Underrepresented Groups, Prince William Bursary Set ? The Hollywood Reporter

BAFTA Launches Prince William-Backed Fund And Diverse Membership Tier ? Deadline

Prince William Gives Royal Nod to New BAFTA Schemes - Variety

sara8150

wannable

Release date: February 27 2021
Director: Pablo Larrain
Box office: 17.4 million USD
Cinematography: Claire Mathon
Music composed by: Jonny Greenwood
Budget: 18 million USD
Audience rating summary
From 1 to 5, Five start being the best

3044 ratings

If the film spent 18 Million, and the ticket sales made less than the 18 million, it's a flop

Curryong

Lots of non action films are so-called flops nowadays. A lot are ignored by award shows. And the box office for Spencer  is nearly 18 mill. When it becomes available to stream and hire it could well make it?s money back and more in years to come. 17 million is nothing to be sneezed at. We?ve viewed films here this year that made less than that at the cinema, especially in these Covid times, and thoroughly enjoyed them.

TLLK

Prince William addressed the 2022 BAFTA awards with a pre-recorded message.

QuoteThe future King usually attends the ceremony and walks the red carpet with Kate but this year the couple sadly had to decline their invite due to "diary constraints".

William made a virtual appearance at the 2022 ceremony

Last year during the 2021 virtual ceremony, William was due to record a video speech but was also forced to pull out after his grandfather Prince Philip suddenly passed away. It was the first time William had missed the prestigious ceremony since his appointment as president of the British Academy of Film & Television Arts in 2010.

Prince William makes surprise BAFTA appearance after snubbing 2022 awards ceremony | HELLO!

Quote"Good evening everyone," William said at the start of his speech. "As President of BAFTA, I am extremely proud to see the work that BAFTA undertakes year-round to provide opportunities and support for talented people to develop successful careers in film, games and television."  It?s wonderful that there are more than thirty participants from Breakthrough UK in the audience this evening. Two of them, Aleem Khan and Jessie Buckley, are nominated for awards tonight. They join an impressive list of young talent, including Bukky Bakray and Florence Pugh, as well as Paapa Essiedu and Ray Panthaki who are closely involved with BAFTA-nominated films. "BAFTA hopes to inspire and support future generations from all walks of life to become the filmmakers of the future. And I hope that for some of those watching these awards, that journey starts today."

William concluded: "Congratulations to all the nominees and winners. I wish you all a wonderful evening."

PrincessOfPeace

#EarthshotLondon2021 has won a @BAFTA!

Huge congratulations to everyone involved in our inaugural Awards, which celebrated some of the most extraordinary solutions to the Earth's greatest challenges.

Here's to the USA 2022!!

https://twitter.com/EarthshotPrize/status/1523385270321754115?s=20&t=aE1pYT2GlSYGEVnk_YoPIQ

wannable

The Prince and Princess of Wales will attend the EE @BAFTA Film Awards ceremony at the Royal Festival Hall on Sunday 19th February. William is President of BAFTA. They  will watch the Awards ceremony before meeting category winners and EE Rising Star Award nominees.
Rebecca English

wannable

wannable

Perfect Princess! Kate Middleton wows on BAFTA red carpet alongside Prince William as she dons a white one shoulder gown and black opera gloves for the awards
BAFTA 2023: Kate Middleton wows on red carpet alongside Prince William | Daily Mail Online

PrincessOfPeace

Kate paired a white floor-length Alexander McQueen dress, which she has worn previously, with black gloves and gold earrings  -

Some people shouted "we love you Kate" as the couple walked inside -

https://twitter.com/PAshowbiz/status/1627366111304884227?s=20

TLLK

Catherine has taken a white gown that she wore in 2019 and has had the shoulder reworked with additional draping.