William, Kate, Harry: Belgium WW1 Commemoration | Centenary

Started by cinrit, August 03, 2014, 07:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canuck

It surprised me when I saw the pictures of W&K with Felipe, because he always look about 7 feet tall next to Letizia!  When I saw him with W&K I realized that although he is tall, it's really exaggerated by Letizia being quite short. 

PrincessOfPeace

^^^ I didn't realise Letizia was so short so when I saw W&K next to Felipe I thought hmmm.

Rebound

Reminds me of another anecdote:

At one time we lived in a city with an NBA (basketball) team. We stopped at a store near an apt. building where a lot of players lived when they were in town. I paid for my purchase, turned around, and was looking at a belt buckle. I was so flustered I didn't even look up (way up) to see who it was. I just skedaddled out the door.

Felipe and William are very tall, but not that tall! (and I am pretty short)

William and Yao Ming:
http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2013813/rs_634x1024-130913094734-634.yao.william.cm.91213.jpg

PrincessOfPeace

^^^  :lol:

Now that's tall!!

Another photo of William and Felipe

https://spanishroyals.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/20140804_lieja_09.jpg

TLLK

Quote from: Rebound on August 17, 2014, 02:56:40 PM
Reminds me of another anecdote:

At one time we lived in a city with an NBA (basketball) team. We stopped at a store near an apt. building where a lot of players lived when they were in town. I paid for my purchase, turned around, and was looking at a belt buckle. I was so flustered I didn't even look up (way up) to see who it was. I just skedaddled out the door.

Felipe and William are very tall, but not that tall! (and I am pretty short)

William and Yao Ming:
http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2013813/rs_634x1024-130913094734-634.yao.william.cm.91213.jpg
My daughter had to go to the orthodontist one morning. She went back to the exam room while I waited in the lobby. A few minutes later a very tall and familiar face went to schedule his next appointment. He and the receptionist began chatting in Spanish and I overheard her thank him for the autographed photo for her grandfather. He smiled at all of us as he left the lobby. It was Pau Gasol. My daughter later came out describing the very tall man who barely fit in the exam chair. I then told her that a LA Laker shared her orthodontist.

Now back to the royals..IMO the tallest royal men are currently Felipe, William, Willem-Alexander in that order. As for the shortest royal men it is a toss up between the two JRFs-Japanese and Jordanian.

Macrobug

I am not very tall (5'4" on a good day).  Imagine my surprise to be suddenly surrounded by the entire Canadian Rowing Team.  The average height is 6"2 for the women and taller for the men.   Silken Laumann is a big, big girl when you find yourself nose to shoulder to her.  Not to mention the mens heavyweight team.  All 8 of them crowding me in.  I felt like a gnome surrounded by the big people.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Rebound

TLLK, Macrobug--loved those anecdotes!! It's not great being too short OR too tall. One of the NBA draftees found out he had Marfans Syndrome a day or 2 before the draft. He was expected to be one of the first drafted.

It's amusing sometimes to see how William and Harry tower over the Queen.

TLLK

^^^I recall that the late US Olympic volleyball player Flo Hyman had it as well before dying young.

Limabeany

Quote from: Rebound on August 17, 2014, 07:35:37 PM
It's amusing sometimes to see how William and Harry tower over the Queen.
Most people tower over the Queen.  :happy15:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Canuck

I read that Will will be the tallest king or queen of Britain ever.  I knew some of them were quite short (like Queen Victoria, and obviously QEII), but I'm surprised that the family has been so consistently short (or at least not tall) through the years. 

Why, at 6ft 3in, Prince William towers over his titchy royal ancestors | Mail Online

With Kate being tall as well, I'm guessing George will continue the upward trend on height.

sandy

Well it is from Diana's side of the family. Prince Philip did say she would "breed tallness" into the family.

TLLK

^^^Height genes and good nutrition seem to also play a role. :)

Curryong

I think Queen Victoria set the trend! I think Prince Albert was about 5ft 10 inches tall but with a shortie like Victoria for a mother most of her sons were on the small side. Edward VIII too, always looks tiny in his photos as George V was short. I believe Prince Philip said about Diana that it would 'breed some height into the family." Kate is quite tall too, so I would guess George will be as tall as his father.

Macrobug

PP is a good height too.  But then again most would appear a good height standing beside QE
GNU Terry Pratchett

sandy

Quote from: Curryong on August 17, 2014, 10:01:29 PM
I think Queen Victoria set the trend! I think Prince Albert was about 5ft 10 inches tall but with a shortie like Victoria for a mother most of her sons were on the small side. Edward VIII too, always looks tiny in his photos as George V was short. I believe Prince Philip said about Diana that it would 'breed some height into the family." Kate is quite tall too, so I would guess George will be as tall as his father.

Although due to genetics George could be a throwback to his under 6 foot ancestors. One never knows.

TLLK

^^^Good point sandy. Genetics are a mystery sometimes.

cate1949

statistical regression - sons tend to be taller than their fathers.  So maybe George could then join the NBA!  Well - at least the UK Rowing Team.

:teehee:

HsHCharlene

I think George will definitely be tall because Will is 6'3" and Kate is 5'9"/5'10" ish but she is tall for a female so more than likely George will be up there.

tiaras

Apart from william 6'3 and harry 6'2 none of the male members of the brf are that tall .

PrincessOfPeace

Quote"A credit to the Army Cadet Force" – that's how a colonel described Devon Army cadets who have returned home after providing personnel for the First World War commemorative service at Mons, Belgium.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince William and Kate, Prince Harry and prime minister David Cameron and their counterparts from Germany and France went to the service, held at the St Symphorium Military Cemetery to mark 100 years since Britain joined the First World War.
More: ?First World War event attended by Prince William, Kate and Prince Harry sees Devon Army cadets 'honoured' to be involved | North Devon Journal

TLLK

^^^Thank you for sharing a local paper's story about the cadets. Too often this type of information isn't shared by the larger national press and I like to see the other players receiving their due credit.