William: Lord High Commissioner Church of Scotland

Started by sara8150, January 25, 2020, 05:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sara8150

TLLK

QuoteThe Queen has appointed her grandson the Duke of Cambridge as Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland this year. William takes on the role at a key time for the union between England and Scotland, as Britain prepares to leave the EU.

The new role means he will represent the monarch at the Church of Scotland?s General Assembly from 16-22 May this year and is likely to carry out engagements to highlight the work of charities and the church. While the Queen is Supreme Governor of the Church of England ? a role William will inherit one day ? the Church of Scotland is independent. But the monarch?s duty to maintain it forms part of the 1707 Act of Union between England and Scotland. According to the royal family?s website, ?The Sovereign is represented at the General Assembly by the Lord High Commissioner, who attends as an observer and is appointed by Her Majesty on the advice of the Prime Minister.?

William will make opening and closing addresses to the Assembly and report back to the Queen on proceedings.

The Duke, who is known as the Earl of Strathearn in Scotland, will be based at the Palace of Holyroodhouse during the Assembly and will receive a Guard of Honour, a 21-Gun Salute and the keys to the City of Edinburgh. HELLO! understands the Duchess, known as the Countess of Strathearn north of the border, is likely to join him for at least part of the week.

Each year the Queen appoints someone ? usually a Scottish figure - to the role, in recognition of their contribution to society.
Members of the royal family have also been appointed in the past, including Princess Anne, Prince Charles ? known as the Duke of Rothesay in Scotland ? the Duke of York and the Earl of Wessex.

More on the role that QEII appointed her grandson.

Princess Cassandra

William's plate is getting bigger every month, it seems. This is the first church-related appointment that I can remember.

wannable

Yes a very responsible role for Prince William

Here is the 'about' of the Annual General Assembly, which he will be participating for 7 days/first timer.

General Assembly | The Church of Scotland

The General Assembly is a significant annual event in the Church of Scotland calendar. Throughout the week, commissioners to the General Assembly examine its work and laws and make decisions that affect the future of the Church.
People enjoy watching the proceedings for the passionate debates, special guests, festivities and large-scale worship.
The 2020 General Assembly will be held in the General Assembly Hall on the Mound in Edinburgh. It will open on Saturday 16 May and will close on Friday 22 May. The public gallery is open for members of the public who wish to watch the Assembly.

Note: His children during those dates are still in school, they have Half Term Monday, 25th May - Friday, 29th May, so Kate will be in London from 16th May until 22nd of May, doing the school run and any local royal duties.

sara8150

Duke of Cambridge handed new role by Queen as brother starts new life in Canada

The Queen makes Prince William Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland ? Royal Central

Double post auto-merged: January 26, 2020, 02:28:24 AM

Quote from: QueenAlex on January 25, 2020, 05:39:19 PM
Responsible role for William...

I?m agreed with you yes its true very responsible for future monarchy one day for William,@QueenAlex

Double post auto-merged: January 26, 2020, 02:31:20 AM

Quote from: wannable on January 25, 2020, 10:12:14 PM

Here is the 'about' of the Annual General Assembly, which he will be participating for 7 days/first timer.

Note: His children during those dates are still in school, they have Half Term Monday, 25th May - Friday, 29th May, so Kate will be in London from 16th May until 22nd of May, doing the school run and any local royal duties.

Yes Kate have lots to do between Cambridges kids schedule include George and Charlotte school till July and also Kate?s royal duties also kept Kate busy as mother of three,@wannable

TLLK

Quote from: QueenAlex on January 25, 2020, 05:39:19 PM
Responsible role for William...
Yes it is. QEII's appointed all four of her children to the role in the past, so I'm not surprised that it's now offered to  Prince William.

TLLK

Quote from: wannable on January 25, 2020, 10:12:14 PM

Thank you for the information. I believe  that this will be an interesting week of activities for the future head of the Church of England.

SophieChloe

It's just another title.  Boyo won't do anything to justify it.  IMO of course. 

"School runs"....  :hehe:  Having police outriders and changing of the traffic lights to ease the journey, does not a "school run" make. 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Curryong

The position of High Commissioner is not permanent. It's a twelve month appointment. Other members of the RF who have been High Commissioners for the Church of Scotland (for one year) have included Anne, Andrew and Edward.

SophieChloe

Quote from: Curryong on January 26, 2020, 08:57:48 PM
The position of High Commissioner is not permanent. It's a twelve month appointment. Other members of the RF who have been High Commissioners for the Church of Scotland (for one year) have included Anne, Andrew and Edward.
So why are many saying this is great and deserved for him?  Not on here, might I add. 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

PrincessOfPeace

This years General Assembly has been cancelled due to #coronavirus

- Church of Scotland

Curryong

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on March 17, 2020, 06:14:22 PM
This years General Assembly has been cancelled due to #coronavirus

- Church of Scotland

Well, convening and presiding over the Assembly is the main function of the Royal appointed for a particular year as Lord High Commissioner. (Senior Royals generally take it in turns.) And with church gatherings and big services all over Britain cancelled or postponed for the duration, that will be it then.

Princess Cassandra

This is good to hear. I hope William and Kate will set a good example of staying away from the public and using technology and innovation to keep up their work during the crisis. They are healthy, for sure, but I'm also confident that they realize how much their engagements would increase the spread of infection and expose those who are more vulnerable. They are responsible people and as we see from this thread, some of the decisions are made by others.

sandy

TLLK

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on March 20, 2020, 02:47:53 PM
This is good to hear. I hope William and Kate will set a good example of staying away from the public and using technology and innovation to keep up their work during the crisis. They are healthy, for sure, but I'm also confident that they realize how much their engagements would increase the spread of infection and expose those who are more vulnerable. They are responsible people and as we see from this thread, some of the decisions are made by others.
Quite sensibly the CoS cancelled their General Assembly. Like you @Princess Cassandra  I expect that the Cambridges will follow the guidelines shared by the British government and the nation's health authorities. As far as I can tell there are no public engagements for the working members of the Firm for this week and the next. Most likely any meetings will be limited to the number of people present or will be done via conference calls/video chats.

PrincessOfPeace

The Duke of Cambridge has written a letter to the Moderator of the Church of Scotland

The Duke of Cambridge had been appointed Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland 2020 by The Queen, and had been due to attend the General Assembly of the ChurchScotland on behalf of the Sovereign in May before its cancellation due to Covid-19.

Twitter

PrincessOfPeace

Today should have been the Opening of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland, with HRH The Earl of Strathearn as Lord High Commissioner.  Here is HRH's stall-plate as a Knight of the Thistle.

Twitter

wannable

The Queen has appointed Prince William to be Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland this year. The General Assembly of the Church of Scotland is a week-long event that dates back to the 16th Century.

Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland | The Royal Family

Prince William was appointed Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland in 2020, but the General Assembly was cancelled last May due to COVID-19.

PrincessOfPeace

wannable

It's going to be a great experience for William.  The official royal website detailed explanation of what the LH Commissioner does is very interesting - it's going to be a very busy week, as he will be hosting at the Palace of Holyroodhouse guests (of his own choice) during 1 full week (new knowledge to me after reading the royal website). That is great news for the employees and extra hands in Edinburgh.

wannable

I hope to see a (bit more) modern version with daily reels/1 full documentary of both the Assembly days and especially PW hosting at the Scottish Palace his guests.  It's time 2021! for marketing and publicity for the COE.