The Prince and Princess of Wales Official Orders and Medals

Started by wannable, April 29, 2019, 04:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannable

The Duchess of Cambridge appointed to the Royal Victorian Order,

Published 29 April 2019
The Queen has been pleased to make the following appointment to the Royal Victorian Order.
To be a Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order (GCVO) - HRH The Duchess of Cambridge.
Notes to editors
Awards in the Royal Victorian Order are made personally by The Queen, for services to the Sovereign.
The Duchess of Cambridge appointed to the Royal Victorian Order | The Royal Family

We will see Catherine very likely deputing her sash and medal at the Trump State Dinner Banquet

oak_and_cedar

Isn't this an important order to have?

It says alot that DOC was awarded this, in my opinion. I don't believe she's going anywhere.

TLLK

Yes it is one of the few orders that QEII can present to anyone without the government's approval. Camilla and Sophie are both Grand Dames of the RVO. Also I believe that Anne and Brigitte are as well.

Princess Cassandra

I must admit I am over the moon on this one....I think she totally deserves it. When she married into the royal family she took on the role in a serious, dedicated way, and really does support the monarchy.  I guess we'll have to wait until June to see her wearing it. 

Blue Clover

TLLK

BREAKING: The Queen awards the Duchess of Cambridge with the highest honour ? Royal Central

QuoteThe last Royal appointment to the Royal Victorian Order was The Duke of Edinburgh in 2017. The Duchess of Cambridge also joins The Duchess of Cornwall who was appointed in 2012, The Duke of York and the Earl of Wessex who were both appointed in 2011, The Countess of Wessex who was appointed in 2010, Prince Michael of Kent who was appointed in 2003, The Duchess of Gloucester who was appointed in 1989, The Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra of Kent who were both appointed in 1960, The Duke of Gloucester who was appointed in 1974 and The Duchess of Kent who was appointed in 1977.

I missed a few names in my earlier post: Princess Alexandra and The Duchess of Kent.

Curryong

Harry has the Royal Victorian Order, given by the Queen in 2015.

TLLK

Here is an interesting article on the various orders in the UK. The highest order is the Order of the Garter. QEII can personally bestow the RVO and its grades without having to consult the government.

A complete guide to the British Orders of Knighthood ? Royal Central

There are five grades to the RVO.

QuoteIts chapel is the Queen?s Chapel of the Savoy in London, though St George?s Chapel is used for the 4-yearly meeting of the Order due to the number of members. Many members of the Royal Family are appointed as GCVOs within the Order for rendering personal service to The Queen.

Grades: [5] Knight/Dame Grand Cross (GCVO) (Sir/Dame)
                        Knight (KCVO)/Dame (DCVO) Commander (Sir/Dame)
                   Commander (CVO)
                        Lieutenant (LVO)
                        Member (MVO)
Nominator: Given at The Queen?s own pleasure
Motto: Victoria

Most members of the BRF are the Grand Cross Victorian Order: DoK, PAoK, DoG, DssoG, PMoK, DssoK, the Wessexes, DoY, DssoC, DssoCam.
Prince Harry is a Knight Commander of the Victorian Order. (IMO he'll receive a boost to the highest grade when Charles' reign begins.)

QEII, the PoW and the DoCam do not have any of the Victorian Orders and are not likely to receive them as one day they'll be the Sovereign of the Order.  :windsor1: :Jen:

Double post auto-merged: April 30, 2019, 01:32:00 AM

Forgot to add the Grand Master of the RVO-HRH The Princess Royal who is also a GCVO.  :blush:

sara8150

Blue Clover

TLLK

QuoteNo. Prince William has not been given the Royal Victorian Order by the Queen yet. He does hold two honors of higher precedence: Order of Garter Order of Thistle

I doubt that Prince William or his father the PoW will ever receive the RVO from QEII. In the future they'll be the ones to award it to family members. However I do see Prince Harry being elevated/upgraded to the higher Grand Cross RVO during his father's reign. I believe it is possible that Meghan will receive one at a future date though I don't know who will be the monarch at that time.  Most of the "working" family members have the honor and the time frame in which it is bestowed seems to vary. Cousins Edward and Alexandra were awarded theirs in the 1960's. The Gloucesters and the Duchess of Kent received theirs in the 1970's. Sophie received hers ten years after she married Edward and Camilla/Catherine's came seven/eight years respectively after their marriages.
One of the most decorated and supportive members of the family was the most recent recipient prior to yesterday. The DoE earned his after 70 years of service.

Princess Cassandra

I read earlier that the DOE will not be at the ceremony. 

Blue Clover

Princess Cassandra, That's unfortunate. I hope he is in good health.

Princess Cassandra

No, I don't think it is because he is ill. He is serious about his retirement and the palace announces up front that he isn't expected to attend events. I think we all miss him, but when we see pap pics of him driving at Windsor I am always reassured to see he is in good health.

Blue Clover

Princess Cassandra, Yes, right this is how he chooses to retire. Good point!  :thumbsup:

Princess Cassandra

Blue Clover, I hope we get to see some pictures or video's of the ceremony. 

Blue Clover

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on May 02, 2019, 03:44:39 AM
Blue Clover, I hope we get to see some pictures or video's of the ceremony. 

Yes, I hope so!  :goodpost:

Princess Cassandra

I can't speak for her, of course, but I rather think the Queen would say that there was more to it than that, Sophie-Chloe.   

TLLK

^^^I agree @Princess Cassandra.

Established by Queen Victoria here is the basis for granting the RVO.

The Duchess of Cambridge appointed to the Royal Victorian Order | The Royal Family

QuoteThe Queen has been pleased to make the following appointment to the Royal Victorian Order.

To be a Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order (GCVO) - HRH The Duchess of Cambridge.

Notes to editors

Awards in the Royal Victorian Order are made personally by The Queen, for services to the Sovereign.

What is the Royal Victorian Order? ? Royal Central

QuoteThe Royal Victorian Order was created in April 1896 by Queen Victoria, who wished to formally recognise those who had personally served her.

QuoteThe most recent appointment to the order was The Duchess of Cambridge, who was this week appointed to the highest class, of Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order (GCVO) for services to the Sovereign. The appointment was announced on Monday, 29 April, which was the occasion of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge?s eighth wedding anniversary. The Duchess of Cornwall and the Countess of Wessex received similar appointments, in 2012 and 2010 respectively.

Blue Clover

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on May 19, 2019, 11:38:40 PM
I can't speak for her, of course, but I rather think the Queen would say that there was more to it than that, Sophie-Chloe.   

I think Kate received the Royal Victorian Order for her service to the Crown which goes far beyond producing Royal Heirs. Kate has been a mental health advocate, raising awareness of mental health issues. She recently launched, with Prince William, Shout - an affiliate of Crisis Text Line in the U.K. that offers, free confidential mental health support via text. Many of her visits such as the Kantor Center of Excellence - which brings together leading practitioners in neuroscience mental health, social care, child development, research, and education.

Kate?s Patronages | Kate Middleton Review

Here is a list of Kate's Patronage which are: Action on Addiction, East Anglia Children's Hospices (EACH), National Portrait Gallery, The Art Room,  The Royal Foundation of the Dule and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry, The Scout Association, 100 Women in Hedge Funds Philanthropic Initiatives, Natural History Museum, Place2Be, SportsAid, The 1851 Trust, Air Training Corps, Anna Freud Centre, All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club (AELTC) Wimbledon, Lawn Tennis Association (LTA), and Action for Children.

Kate's Big Cause in 2016 - Children's Mental Health (18 visits)
Kate's Big Cause in 2017 - Mental Health (11 visits)
Heads Together: 2017 (16 events); 2016 (11 events)

Curryong

Every senior working Royal in the BRF gets the Royal Victorian Order Grand Cross, sooner or later as well as some males. It's awarded after seven or eight years working in the BRF usually, as a matter of course. Anne is Grand Master, Camilla has it, Sophie has it, awarded after a number of years.

It's awarded whatever the particular Royal does or doesn't do in their public life. The Duchesses of Kent and Gloucester both have the Grand Cross. Harry will move up to Grand Cross in the next few years. Meghan will get it probably in the next reign. No senior royals miss out. The only ones who missed out on the Victorian Order Grand Cross and the Victorian Order altogether were Diana and Sarah because their marriages were crumbling within five years.

TLLK

As @Curryong shared nearly all members of the working BRF will receive it at some point. However since they will eventually bestow the honor, Charles and William will likely not receive it.